Can Anyone Confirm If There Are Indeed Dell Concept Stores In Bangkok?

MikeOKitches

Hi everyone! hola2.gif

Once again, I marvel at this tight knit community and the speed of replies one gets here to questions. I sincerely appreciate anyone's help.

I plan on moving to Bangkok, Thailand from the USA effective April 1st, 2011.

I posed a question in Yahoo! Answers about 1 month ago asking whether it would be prudent to ship my entire DELL computer set-up overseas from the USA to Thailand.

http://answers.yahoo...09000359AAWbIiT

After reading the awesome answer I received, I think it's best to sell my existing computer set-up here in the USA and just buy a complete new DELL computer set-up when I arrive in Thailand. I do not want to hassle with voltage and software compatibility issues.

My question is this. Does anyone know if the DELL Concept Stores have actually become a reality in Thailand? think2.gif

I read the following 2008 article in the Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpo...cept-store-here

Is this true? think2.gif Can anyone verify seeing such a "concept" store dealing solely with DELL PCs and accessories in Bangkok?think2.gif

I would like to replicate my exact system if possible, with the exception of my tower DELL Dimension 9150 since they probably don't make that anymore:

Dell 24 inch LCD flat panel monitor (model #2407WFP)

Dell Laser MFP 1815dn printer (scanner, etc.)

Dell 5.1 Surround Sound 6 Piece Subwoofer Speakers Set

The article states the following:

......................................…

Adhering to Dell's "build-to-order" concept, and showcasing Dell's consumer computer products, the store aims to be a one-stop shop for today's smart, savvy and selective users who need personalised computing devices.

......................................…

If there are no such DELL concept stores in Bangkok, will it be hard to find all the components I listed above? Where should I go to find them? think2.gif

Lastly, does anyone know if I can "transplant" the HARDRIVE from my existing Dell Demension 9150 and put it into the new DELL desktop/tower I will purchase in Thailand? think2.gif Is there any compatibility issues which would prevent me from doing this? think2.gif

Again, Thank you so very much to anyone who can help me with this. It is greatly appreciated.:jap:

Does anyone know if the DELL Concept Stores have actually become a reality in Thailand?

They have one here in Chiang Mai. My guess is that they don't have build-to-order though; you just buy what they have in stock. Didn't look at desktops too much, but the laptops they had available appeared to be current gear.

If there are no such DELL concept stores in Bangkok, will it be hard to find all the components I listed above? Where should I go to find them?

One of the more pleasant surprises on arriving in Thailand was Pantip Plaza in Bangkok. I like to build my own system, and Pantip had a selection of components rivaling what you see in online stores like Newegg. The latest CPUs, GPUs, RAM, hard drives, cases and fans and all of that. It's a big place though, and you will have to work to get what you want/need, but they have restaurants and if you're really going to build your own system you'll probably want to spend at least a couple of days there anyways.

Lastly, does anyone know if I can "transplant" the HARDRIVE from my existing Dell Demension 9150 and put it into the new DELL desktop/tower I will purchase in Thailand?

Sure.

Whether it boots is another question entirely. I'm guessing you're running Windows? So you'd have a number of challenges; driver compatibility being foremost. Activation being another. I transplanted my last Windows hard drive too, but did a fresh install on another drive and copied/moved files over as they were required.

Something to consider is to rip the guts out of your desktop, package it all in bubble wrap, stick it in your luggage, and get a case/PSU/keyboard/monitor here in LOS, i.e., keep your CPU, mobo, RAM, etc., so that the system looks the same to Windows. You might want to check first to see if Dell is using a standard size motherboard first though.

Or maybe, see if you can move it all to a virtual machine now. Depends on what you're doing. But that way you don't have to sweat it, you can get a new system or a used one here and still be able to access all your stuff on arrival.

Lots of ways to go.

Thank you so very much for spending your valuable time in helping me out on this topic. :thumbsup:

I will print out what you have written and follow the blueprint you have laid out for me.

I'm looking forward to "building" my system when I arrive in Bangkok and will check out the resources you have advised.

Regarding the transplanting of my physical hardrive, this might be a hassle. Especially with the issue of Windows compatibility, etc. that you've pointed out. I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it off.

Here's what I think I may do. If you or any other computer genius reads this, I would appreciate some feedback.

I'm thinking of physically downloading all my important files, photos, documents I've saved on to an external hardrive via USB port. Once I get my rig in Thailand set up, I will then plug in the external hardrive via the USB port and "upload" it into the new system

I'm also thinking of having all my existing data, files, photos downloaded virtually to a website called Carbonite http://www.carbonite.com/ . This is a well reviewed service. Once I'm in Thailand, I can upload from their site to my new Thai rig.

I am not a computer nerd, but I'm hopeful either of these options will allow me to import the data, files, photos I currently have on my Dell Dimension 9150 to my future Thai computer system (I will build up!) :wacko:

Thanks again for helping me! :clap2:

Edited by MikeOKitches

If all you are interested in doing is saving important files, photos and documents, then it's easy. An external USB hard drive accommodates your needs easily. No need to bother uploading all of this to a website unless you really want to, especially since upstream bandwidth is usually limited and it would take forever in the case of a large quantity of data. There are also privacy issues.

The reason most people want to try to save their Windows install is because they have lots and lots of programs installed on there and it's a big pain in the ass to reinstall them all and go through the updates and configuration and so on. If you are happy to simply start anew with a fresh copy of Windows and reinstall your favorite apps from scratch then I would definitely go with the external USB drive.

I'm not away of any stores selling Dell kit yet. However, if you want to buy a Dell computer here, you 'phone them up. They send someone to your house to discuss the specification, and the kit is delivered a few days later.

Visit the Dell web site

http://www........1....=desktops&s=lca

As far as I am aware you can order what bits and pieces you want in your tower.

Going through Dell you will at least end up with a reasonable warranty period. You will not get the same level of Warranty when buying bit and pieces and building yourself.

Edited by mallyrd

If all you are interested in doing is saving important files, photos and documents, then it's easy. An external USB hard drive accommodates your needs easily. No need to bother uploading all of this to a website unless you really want to, especially since upstream bandwidth is usually limited and it would take forever in the case of a large quantity of data. There are also privacy issues.

The reason most people want to try to save their Windows install is because they have lots and lots of programs installed on there and it's a big pain in the ass to reinstall them all and go through the updates and configuration and so on. If you are happy to simply start anew with a fresh copy of Windows and reinstall your favorite apps from scratch then I would definitely go with the external USB drive.

Most awesome!

cripwalk.gif

I tend to make things more difficult than they should be with computers. I'm a total neophyte. think.gif

I thought I was in jeopardy of losing the thousands of photos, files, and documents. I have an external USB hard drive which will do the trick! I'll just buy a new DELL desktop and once I have the Thai compatible Windows installed (hopefully XP,) I have no problem reinstalling the various applications from scratch. Sure, it will be time consuming. But at least I know there will be no compatibility issues and my new PC will work like a charm (hopefully!) grandmaisalush.gif

You sir, absolutely rock! suomi.gif

Visit the Dell web site

Going through Dell you will at least end up with a reasonable warranty period. You will not get the same level of Warranty when buying bit and pieces and building yourself.

Thank you for your suggestion.toast.gif

Unfortunately, the link you provided is dead and I can't access the site it's attached to. think2.gif

I'm not away of any stores selling Dell kit yet. However, if you want to buy a Dell computer here, you 'phone them up. They send someone to your house to discuss the specification, and the kit is delivered a few days later.

That sounds good.

Will they also install Windows on the rig and will it come bundled like the systems they sell here?

I'd be lost with all you guys! hitting.gif

Visit the Dell web site

Thank you for your suggestion.toast.gif

Unfortunately, the link you provided is dead and I can't access the site it's attached to. think2.gif

Google Dell Thailand