Us Visa Denied For Thai Wife

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there is a quite a bit more information for us all to chew on. I figured it was a slam dunk for my wife and now I feel a bit queasy about the whole thing. I am definitely taking advantage of ProThaiexpats advice about making the booklet with compelling evidence for returning to Thailand....that is a whole lot more than what is implied from the US embassy website. Looks like some more preparation work is in order. Thanks again everyone for the help.

If you follow ProThaiexpats advice, then I am sure that it would be a slam dunk.

Kuhn JD --

1. My prior post at #23 was just to say that canned rehearsed answers can backfire -- and they've heard just about all of them before.

2. A lot of the decisions are based on plain statistics and a disproportionate number of problem cases once a visa is granted involve married couples with a large age disparity... and they do not always have the time to read a book as long as War and Peace.

3. So now the Congressman may get involved -- that's why i decided years ago to plan a trip to Bermuda though eventually we never went anywhere.

Many good suggestions above. You might ask Mom/Dad back in the States to visit their local Congresspersons office and request their assistance. I did this in the past and my local CPs office sent a boiler plate message to the embassy requesting "any and all help". In my case, my wife was only requesting a "short term" visa, but the official at the embassy ended up giving my wife a 10 YEAR tourist visa....we didn't even know that was available.

Good luck!

The age difference will keep them from getting a Tourist Visa!!! The government will assume she plans on staying and working. I would recommend them to apply for a Fiance Visa (Even though they are married here) or a Residency Visa!!!. This will take 2 or more years, but it would be futile for them to continue requesting a Tourist Visa!!!

Where do you get 2 years? If he was in he US it would be 11 months maximum. Closer to 6-8 months in reality. Also, doesn't matter where there are married. Married is married. K-1 (fiancee visa) is not an option. Since he has lived in Thailand for more than 6 months, he qualifies for DCF (Direct Consular Filing) which would take around 3 months.

Also, once a marriage visa and subsequent green card is issued, it can't be used a tourist visa. Green Card holder must remain a resident in the US. Stays out of the US for 6 months to 1 year risk having the green card revoked for not maintaining US residency. Stays out of the US for more than a year will definitely end up having the green card revoked.

They used to issue a K-3 marriage visa, but that is no longer an option. It was a 2 year multiple entry visa into the US.

It is not simply the age !! I am 70 my wife 46 has a 10 year multiple entry for 6 months at a time,,, which is all we want,,, one thing for sure if she does not speak perfect English she should never ever consent to be interviewed in English a few people I know made that same mistake,

I wish you good luck,,,, you are not the first to have this problem which is very troubling

They tell you up front that they never tell you why you may be denied,

Once denied it gets tough.. because they did not tell why and someone else turned her down so there is a trend set had hard to break that barrier,,if someone else grants the visa then they are disagreeing with a colleague which could be difficult especially if the co worker is a superior.

Once denied the only way I know is to spend the $5,000 for a guaranteed visa. A friend whose wife agreed to an interview in English paid a firm the $ which would have been returned if no visa but they over came the hurdles.

The age difference will keep them from getting a Tourist Visa!!! The government will assume she plans on staying and working. I would recommend them to apply for a Fiance Visa (Even though they are married here) or a Residency Visa!!!. This will take 2 or more years, but it would be futile for them to continue requesting a Tourist Visa!!!

Where do you get 2 years? If he was in he US it would be 11 months maximum. Closer to 6-8 months in reality. Also, doesn't matter where there are married. Married is married. K-1 (fiancee visa) is not an option. Since he has lived in Thailand for more than 6 months, he qualifies for DCF (Direct Consular Filing) which would take around 3 months.

Also, once a marriage visa and subsequent green card is issued, it can't be used a tourist visa. Green Card holder must remain a resident in the US. Stays out of the US for 6 months to 1 year risk having the green card revoked for not maintaining US residency. Stays out of the US for more than a year will definitely end up having the green card revoked.

They used to issue a K-3 marriage visa, but that is no longer an option. It was a 2 year multiple entry visa into the US.

It is not simply the age !! I am 70 my wife 46 has a 10 year multiple entry for 6 months at a time,,, which is all we want,,, one thing for sure if she does not speak perfect English she should never ever consent to be interviewed in English a few people I know made that same mistake,

I wish you good luck,,,, you are not the first to have this problem which is very troubling

They tell you up front that they never tell you why you may be denied,

Once denied it gets tough.. because they did not tell why and someone else turned her down so there is a trend set had hard to break that barrier,,if someone else grants the visa then they are disagreeing with a colleague which could be difficult especially if the co worker is a superior.

Once denied the only way I know is to spend the $5,000 for a guaranteed visa. A friend whose wife agreed to an interview in English paid a firm the $ which would have been returned if no visa but they over came the hurdles.

Point me to the place I can spend $5k for a "guaranteed visa" That's frankly irresponsible to even make that post.

Simply not true on the age difference being the reason. Agreed it can look funny but that being the reason is wrong. I have my wife a Tourist Visa and there is 25 yrs difference in our ages but.................we had been together 6 years before appling for that Visa and had all the documents. Marrage is one form of proving but what the embassy told me is:

We want to establish that you have a long term steady lasting relationship

There are many ways to prove this such as old photos, emails, letters and post cards, travel together where passports show you at same place at same time,etc,etc. Not sure on this but that fiancée visa thing might be throwing gas on a fire in my humble opinion but I am 100% sure you can get a visa with that age difference, I have done it twice over the years.

Actually the visitors visa is the wrong one if he is already married. If they did their marrige through the embassy she is guarenteed entry on an immigrant visa. My wife was denied 2 times trying the visitors so the 2nd guy told us she was guarenteed on the immigrant one. Hope that helps. If they did not register with the embassy it is easy to do and can do now.

Rule number one never take your thai wife to america.You're just setting your self up for a world of hurt.

It won't take long for her to meet other americanized thai women.They will quickly teach her how to rid her self of her "old" husband. There will be plenty of young studs chasing her believe this.

The experienced thai women will take her in hand and show her how to divorce the old man get him to pay support and all her maintenance / True all true.The american courts will be sympathetic to her.

I witnessed this happen to a close friend. They did't want to let her in but he pestered them until they relented and let her go to US. She made his life a living hell. Cost him a lot of money and caused him much grief.

Actually the visitors visa is the wrong one if he is already married. If they did their marrige through the embassy she is guarenteed entry on an immigrant visa. My wife was denied 2 times trying the visitors so the 2nd guy told us she was guarenteed on the immigrant one. Hope that helps. If they did not register with the embassy it is easy to do and can do now.

Well you threw good money after bad. On the lawyer and the visa. Immigrant visas are that. Intent to immigrate. You should get your money back from that lawyer.

Rule number one never take your thai wife to america.You're just setting your self up for a world of hurt.

It won't take long for her to meet other americanized thai women.They will quickly teach her how to rid her self of her "old" husband. There will be plenty of young studs chasing her believe this.

The experienced thai women will take her in hand and show her how to divorce the old man get him to pay support and all her maintenance / True all true.The american courts will be sympathetic to her.

I witnessed this happen to a close friend. They did't want to let her in but he pestered them until they relented and let her go to US. She made his life a living hell. Cost him a lot of money and caused him much grief.

Sorry to hear that. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. I suspect this would have happened no matter what country the girl had a visa through. I'd take a guess and say she worked in the bar.

Thanks steelepulse!

She is college educated but did not have a job prior to being made a part owner of the building. She just graduated from Payap University in Hotel Management last spring - good grades. A far as I know her assets of any significance are solely related to her ownership of the building and yes her name is on the official paperwork. I do not know about the tabien baan though I doubt she is on it as this just happened in the last year. I can find out if necessary. She took a lot of this paperwork (school transcript, marriage certificate, apartment ownership agreement, round trip plane tickets, etc.) with her for her interview but some of it was in Thai and most of it the guy just rifled through it without paying attention.

As far as what your friend said I agree. My other brother was a visa consul 20 years ago and says that if you catch someone having a good day then you may get lucky! By the way we have contacted him and he has no additional ideas nor can he pull strings anymore.

Thanks!

If she is Thai she can have a interview with a Thai interviewer and she can speak in that during her interview. Grandpa M

Thanks steelepulse!

She is college educated but did not have a job prior to being made a part owner of the building. She just graduated from Payap University in Hotel Management last spring - good grades. A far as I know her assets of any significance are solely related to her ownership of the building and yes her name is on the official paperwork. I do not know about the tabien baan though I doubt she is on it as this just happened in the last year. I can find out if necessary. She took a lot of this paperwork (school transcript, marriage certificate, apartment ownership agreement, round trip plane tickets, etc.) with her for her interview but some of it was in Thai and most of it the guy just rifled through it without paying attention.

As far as what your friend said I agree. My other brother was a visa consul 20 years ago and says that if you catch someone having a good day then you may get lucky! By the way we have contacted him and he has no additional ideas nor can he pull strings anymore.

Thanks!

If she is Thai she can have a interview with a Thai interviewer and she can speak in that during her interview. Grandpa M

Yep. My wife had her interview in Thai. I think it is better if they have it in English, but what can you do.?

Tourist VISA's are virtually impossible for single Asian Females to obtain. It does help that she shows ownership in land and has a job and bank account so it would appear she has no intention of staying or becoming a burden on the tax system. After 4 long years of denials and changing to a K! visa my wife has finally got a visa to join me in the United States. Its a frustrating process with many road blocks but you have to stay with it and be pressistant. As I said though a tourist visa is the most difficult to obtain with tall the new home land secruity laws. Good luck

Tourist VISA's are virtually impossible for single Asian Females to obtain. It does help that she shows ownership in land and has a job and bank account so it would appear she has no intention of staying or becoming a burden on the tax system. After 4 long years of denials and changing to a K! visa my wife has finally got a visa to join me in the United States. Its a frustrating process with many road blocks but you have to stay with it and be pressistant. As I said though a tourist visa is the most difficult to obtain with tall the new home land secruity laws. Good luck

:thumbsup:

My fiancee and I spent a lot of time a year ago researching, preparing and ultimately applying for a U.S. tourist visa for her in BKK...for almost the same reason...so she and my elderly parents (who are unable to travel abroad) could meet in person for the first time. It was her first ever application, and in the end, she was denied.

Here's what I concluded from that process:

--If you read thru everything you can find on the subject, you'll discover that there is no clear, discernable pattern of who gets accepted and who gets denied... People with very compelling arguments/ties get denied, and people who seemingly have little or none get accepted. It certainly appears as if there is a lot of variability involved in the Consulate's decision-making process.

--When a Thai person is denied a tourist visa, the consulate staff do absolutely nothing to explain why they were denied, or how they might improve their case on a subsequent submission. They simply cite the legal code about not demonstrating compelling ties.

--Thais who are denied tourist visas can apply again, but supposedly it's best to do so only if there's been some material change in the person's circumstances. And if course, if the same person keeps re-applying repeatedly with the same case, it's not going to help their cause.

--A Thai applicant does have the right to request their interview be done in Thai as opposed to English. I've never heard that requesting the interview in Thai is considered any kind of negative. But who knows....

--With due regards to ProExpat's comments above, in my fiancee's case, the interview probably lasted less than 5 minutes standing at a counter, and although we too had prepared and submitted in advance a well organized binder with all the various documents involved, the officer, by my fiancee's account, gave at best a cursory glance at it.

Rather, the officer seemed mainly interested in my visa status in Thailand (which was retirement extension at the time). Apparently he noticed a prior, expired business visa copy in our package (I had included copies of the prior years' visas in order to show longevity), but he apparently failed to notice the then current retirement extension copy that was also in the package. So he asked my fiancee if she had my passport, which she didn't. Because, the U.S. consulate no longer allows family members or significant others even inside the waiting room during the interview time, so I was forced to wait outside the consulate. Next time, I'd give my actual passport to my fiancee, just in case.

In retrospect, I think we probably submitted too much paperwork, and would have been better served submitting just the essentials.... and then having my fiancee bring along other things in case she was asked...

--I've never seen any indication that paying consultants or law firms to prepare tourist visa applications generates any demonstrably higher success rate. And the ones I'm familiar with make no guarantee of success. You pay them the preparation fee, and whatever happens happens. But there's no refund for denials.

I wish the OP's brother and his wife good luck with their application. But I think it might be tough to be optimistic about her chances, considering no job or employment history. But then again, you never know what's likely to emerge from the process.

The age difference will keep them from getting a Tourist Visa!!!

Not necessarily. When I was 55 (few years ago) my Thai wife, who back then was 23, got a Tourist visa (to the U.S.) that was good for ten years. We were legally married and we had

a son who became an American citizen. We did have our son (age 2 at the time) stay with his Grandparents in Chaiyaphum. I bought a home for us that was solely in my wife's name.

What may have helped her in obtaining approval was my writing a letter (and submitting it along with the application)explaining exactly why we wanted to travel to the States, where

we planned to stay, length of stay, etc.

We relocated to the U.S. in 2009, and my wife has a Permanent Resident card (Green card). We,ve been here for about 14 months now and my wife (and son) love it here ... even the

snow! I miss the heat of LOS. My wife has a Social Security number, a job as a chef in a decent Thai restaurant and she also successfully obtained her driving license here.

Persist in your efforts and good luck!

WoW! - I'm not the only one!!! - My "ex-wife" is Japanese and NOT a "Bargirl" (by profession.)

After 16 years, having 3 beautiful kids, (in America,) getting her Green-Card, getting her Driver's license, getting her University Degree, she was then free to go back to Japan, hook-up with her old "Love-of-her-Life," (who "dumped her" after getting his fill of her,) dumping the "old-man" (13 years her senior,) and playing the

California "Family Law" system to take every possible thing of value from me. Therefore, I concur - "DON'T EVER TAKE YOUR WIFE TO AMERICA!!!"

(As for this "Visitor's Visa,") - sounds like everyone is guilty until (pursuasively) proven innocent.

OP: Our trip is planned to visit our elderly parents who want to meet my brother's wife for the first time and they also want to see their grandson again.

If that is indeed the main reason then you might consider that all of you could meet up in Bermuda where any Thai citizen is granted up to a 6 month visa upon arrival. Transit in London up to 24 hours no problem ...

http://bermuda.visah...ments/Thailand/

Did you ever consider that it could be a hardship for the grannies to travel....? Just a small thought. :)

Agree with ProThaiExpat

....and also suggest if you are financially able ,contacting an attorney in the US who only practices in immigration law...if you can find one experienced in dealing with Thailand such as one in a city with a large Thai population such as LA ,all the better.Ask for a brief opinion.

A discussion with your congressmen or your parents congressmen may also be helpful,but will be less effective after being rejected already.

Otherwise I would suggest changing plans. Visit in Canada...a great country with less discrimination and a country that welcomes legitimate tourists

Unfortunately,I have known many Thai's ,especially over the last 10 yrs. who wanted to visit the states as tourists having absolutely no intent on staying, and were rejected by the US Embassy.

I even know of one Thai with a 10 yr. multi entry Visa who was denied entry at Detroit Int. and sent back to Thailand with a perforated "not valid" on the visa page. Low ranking customs officials can do this at their discretion. Scary but the states have changed a lot especially in the last several years.

I would suggest to any one seeking a visa for a Thai wife,etc to get to know your congressmen back in the states. Maybe even donate to their campaigns( very,very helpful)... sounds like Thailand some what,but true. Then before you even go to the US Embassy in Thailand speak personally to your congressman first... to explain what you are seeking.They will contact the Embassy before you go. Works for me.

Also as some one stated in this blog having wealth or power in Thailand does not guarantee a US visa.

Wish you luck...chok dee.

drbill

This subject has been discussed ad naseum on Thaivisa in the past and researching the subject will help you a lot. I have outlined in detail in the past why many miss the boat when preparing the application and providing supporting documents. My best friend in Thailand has a partner that has been denied a visa four times and yet still insists on doing the application process alone and with a masters degree in English too boot. Not properly presented, this advanced education can become a negative.

Briefly, the US Department of State website is clear that the applicant must carry the burden of convincing the interviewer, who is mandated by law, to begin the interview with the assumption that the applicant intends to overstay the tourist visa.

It is the applicant's responsibility to convince the interviewer that they have a "compelling reason" to return to Thailand.

Many have already posted judgments on the weakness of many documents or "facts" about the scenario provided by OP. In the spirit of teaching you to fish. rather than providing the fish, I offer the following:

The overriding human desire to remain with your family, husband and children clearly is an "compelling reason". Thus husbands long stay in Thailand in the past and into the future is paramount. Clearly jobs, activities and Thai based commitments help. So many wrongly think demonstrations of personal wealth are persuasive, but they are not "compelling reasons" to return to Thailand. as they can easily be managed from overseas.

A major effort on bolstering the love relationship with husband, especially if their finances are interdependent, can be very persuasive. Pictures, anniversaries, family events, etc. add to the persuasive effect that this relationship is not just one of convenience of a young beauty taking advantage of an older man to get to the US.

In helping my other half to get US and Australian visas, I prepared a booklet, much like a business proposal or presentation, in which all the documents were indexed, pictures labeled, daily itinerary and the cover document was entitled "Compelling Reasons to Return to Thailand". While I wasn't worried so much of the lack of language skills, the basic Thai nature is not well suited to confrontational interviews. As it turned out, the interviewer started the interview by spending all of his time reading the booklet page by page and then only asking one question, testing knowledge of some fact contained in the booklet, before granting a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa.

We even rehearsed the interview process beforehand and the phrase "Why would I want to overstay in the US and work as a server in a Thai restaurant when I have such a good life in Thailand with my expat partner" was readied but not needed. The husband traveling with and returning to Thailand is important and his ties to Thailand are very persuasive once the burden of proving a loving and long term future relationship is established.

Our first visa application to Australia was initially denied due to some shadings of the truth of our relationship, but once we asked and got an interview after denial, a full explanation of the reality of our relationship reversed the decision. Of course. it helped that prior visits and returns to Thailand bolstered the legitimacy of the US application documents. My long term commitment to living in Thailand is the strongest as is our financially interdependent relationship, so my finances are an important ingredient to be proved. I had an age gap to overcome as well, so trying to establish my other half as in independent person of substance was contrary to the effort to establish the relationship as the compelling reason, as was my ties to Thailand.

Much importance is placed on the reason for the visa so emphasizing the parents of the husband, their intention in provide living accomodations for the family reunion and a good letter from them inviting the applicant to stay, looking forward to finally meeting her etc. is a must. Put "compelling reasons to return" at the top of a page and rank her own reasons is a place to start and then document every assertion made in your "story", it is the story that is something any good salesman has.

I have been told by many visa agents that it is nearly impossible to get a tourist visa after you are married. In fact a tourist visa is almost impossible without extensive paperwork.

My wife has a car, motor bike and land in her name. She was working at a 5 star resort that supplied her with a letter that she would be taking leave and had arranged a return to work date. To no avail. Visa denied.

It seems a fiance or immigrant visa are the choices.

She was told by the consulate to return on a date this month to pick up her passport with an immigrant visa. Of course that took well over a year.

I have been told by many visa agents that it is nearly impossible to get a tourist visa after you are married. In fact a tourist visa is almost impossible without extensive paperwork.

My wife has a car, motor bike and land in her name. She was working at a 5 star resort that supplied her with a letter that she would be taking leave and had arranged a return to work date. To no avail. Visa denied.

She was told by the consulate to return on a date this month to pick up her passport with an immigrant visa. Of course that took well over a year.

Exactly. Because the consular official thinks the visa applicant will come to the US and then attempt to adjust status. It's all about intent to them. Using a non immigrant visa (tourist visa) with the intent of immigrating to the US is against the rules. A Thai being married or in a relationship with a US national is much more likely to be denied a tourist visa because of this. This is why it is better that the Thai national apply for the visa on their own, with their own proof of residence in Thailand etc. I know it seems counter intuitive, but it's how they look at it.

Sorry to hear that. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. I suspect this would have happened no matter what country the girl had a visa through. I'd take a guess and say she worked in the bar.

How can you say...... "Don't paint everyone with the same brush"

Then Say...."I'd take a guess and say she worked in the bar"

seems like your doing a bit of painting yourself mate....????

It continues to confound me to no end....

when a couple is legitimately married and registered appropriately and timely, especially at the proper embassy/consulate....

doesn't the then foreign spouse have the rights to file as husband/wife of the citizen of, say.... Aus, Euro, U.S. country....?

Why then the smart husband/wife chooses to apply for tourist visa for the legitimate spouse....?

Yes, I do understand that we have every right under the constitution to pursue our own happiness as we see fit.... and all that....

But if spousal visa is most appropriate and applicable.... then why won't we go down that route rather than insisting on getting a visitor visa for our own husband/wife who is more qualified as legitimate spouse (immigrant) under the definition than tourist....?

Mainly probably because of the waiting time.... to get to utopia....?

Ah.... I just plainly forget.... it is still the.... HERE AND NOW GENERATION, we are talking about.... :rolleyes:

Yes, I also do respect everyone's rights to do whatever one wishes and pleases...., even in Thailand....:jap:

So, I shall humbly shut my trap here likewise.... :D

But there are even more serious pitfalls after arrival to the States or other country where marriage laws are even more drastically in favor of the female spouse.... should something changes its course and nature.... unexpectedly :unsure:

Edited by mkawish

How can you say...... "Don't paint everyone with the same brush"

Then Say...."I'd take a guess and say she worked in the bar"

seems like your doing a bit of painting yourself mate....????

You might need to brush up on your English skills and read ALL the posts again. Don't just cherry pick MATE.

Amazing.

When an american marries a foreigner, he can not bring her into the Land Of Freedom, unless they go through months of paperwork, and even then, they can not be sure about the outcome?

I took my wife to europe shortly after we married - she now has permanent residence status in most of europe, hardly any paperwork was involved.

And automatically a work permit.

And automatically national health insurance.

(But she can not travel to that american island off our coast....oh well, blimey, nothing interesting there anyway).

Amazing.

When an american marries a foreigner, he can not bring her into the Land Of Freedom, unless they go through months of paperwork, and even then, they can not be sure about the outcome?

I took my wife to europe shortly after we married - she now has permanent residence status in most of europe, hardly any paperwork was involved.

(But she can not travel to that american island off our coast....oh well, blimey, nothing interesting there anyway).

Yeah I agree. It's not right. Took a year to get my wife here. I hear it takes like 30 days in the EU.

My smartass comment on another website:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Edited by daboyz1

Amazing.

I'm racking my brain (not hard to do with so little) :). What island is that?

Amazing.

I'm racking my brain (not hard to do with so little) :). What island is that?

the UK

European visa / residency is not valid there.......