Will I-Pod Play In Car With Cheap Fm Usb Device?

Richb2004v2

I have an i-pod and would like to listen to it in the car. I used to have a Griffin FM transmitter but lost it. I wonder if the cheap FM transmitters that plug into the cigarette liter will work. They seem like a cheap alternative, but I dare not try it in case it some how corrupts my i-pod library.

Thanks.

If you have synced your itunes to your computer you should be able to download again in case of emergency, that adaptor will not corrupt your files it is merely a power source, I really don't think you will have a probem.

Check out the Apple site and you will see they offer all kinds are trinkets, change the store from thailand to the UK/US/CA and you will see different items in each country.

The cheap ones seem to work fine, though they don't seem to hold the lock on the station well, just my experience.

The main issue with FM transmitters is quality - I had a Griffin thing, hated it. Better to get a car stereo with iPod connector, or at least, with an AUX in plug. Not all that expensive.

But, if you're OK with the FM transmitter technology, the cheap chinese ones might work even better than the branded ones. That's because they don't follow laws for maximum broadcasting strength, they can just blast it out any way they can. In the west FM transmitters cannot exceed a certain wattage - don't know the exact number, but it's very low.

agreed a Car stereo with AUX in is the way to go. I have had a few FM transmitters, and some were much better than others. The cheap no name one I had, had many problems tuning interference etc)

I also found they all worked best in my old car that had a retractable radio antenna, the new one does not and interference was a problem even with the griffin. Thankfully my new car has AUX in, which is MUCH better.

Edited by quiksilva