Foreigners In Thailand Closely Watching Thai 'Shirts' Reaction To Arab Protesters

webfact

Foreigners in Thailand Closely Watching Thai "Shirts" Reaction to Arab Protesters

PATTAYA TIMES BREAKING NEWS

Foreigners in Thailand and ASEAN are closely following breaking news on the amazing and unprecedented events in the Middle East as the movement to overthrow governments may ripple through even more countries into Thailand causing a potential overthrow of the current government. "Like we hope happens in Egypt, we want an orderly transition into democracy in Thailand. Prime Minister Abhisit was not elected by the people to govern Thailand. He was appointed after the illegal overthrow of an elected Prime Minister in 2006, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Thailand wants democracy and we are going to get it. The world supports the citizens in the streets of Cairo and they will support us in Bangkok with our political movement," said a major Red Shirt leader in Pattaya.

Thai protest groups opposing the current Thai government watch closely and joyfully at the success of centralized protest movements as both Egypt, the largest, most populace Arab nation on Earth and also the nation of Tunisia protest to remove government leaders by organizing huge crowds of protesters in the capital cities.

Egyptian President Mubarak has ruled the country for 30 years and his party has ruled for 60 years, so his removal by organized protesters would be a toxic elixir to Thai protesters calling for a new government in Bangkok.

An Australian businessman working in Bangkok, Adrian Lang, says, "Why should the Abhisit government resign? The economy here is among the best in the world."

It is unclear how much Thai politics affects the Thai economy, regardless of what the Red Shirts or Yellow Shirts do separately, but what will happen if they join in their efforts to call new elections is unclear. Also, as the protest movement grows, so do the number of groups protesting in Bangkok against the government.

Last year only the Red Shirts staged such a protest calling for the Thailand government to resign. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva responded with an agreement to resign and dissolve his cabinet and call for new elections in February or April of this year.

The Thailand government has not resigned and has made no overt movement towards calling new elections anytime soon.

Now the powerful and sometimes violent Red Shirts are joined by their former nemesis, the elite Yellow Shirts. Additionally, the Red Shirts and Yellow Shirts are joined by yet another group. The powerful religious sect called Blue Shirts are also protesting. All three groups are in Bangkok now and a fourth group called the Human Rights group made up of refugees has their own agenda and are protesting in Bangkok as well. [more...]

Full story: http://pattaya-times.com/a6846-foreigners-in-thailand-closely-watching-thai-shirts-reaction-to-overthrow-of-arab-countries-by-protesters

pattayatimeslogo.png

-- Pattaya Times 2011-02-11 footer_n.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people in the "world" who will support Red shirts in Thailand are those who are ignorant of the facts in the country, Events in Middle East and anything happening in Thailand have no comparison.

Edited by KKvampire

Only a foreigner with bugger all to write about before his foreign editor demands copy would surf the net, cobble together this dogs dinner of a 'story' and only a foreign owner or publisher would think he could print it, let alone sell it.

Oh... it's a Pattaya rag then.

Nothing serious then.

Wow...

Foreigners in Thailand Closely Watching Thai "Shirts" Reaction to Arab Protesters

No we're not. The Arab movement is a popular uprising while the so-called "shirts" movement is largely a sponsored revolution.

Prime Minister Abhisit was not elected by the people to govern Thailand. He was appointed after the illegal overthrow of an elected Prime Minister in 2006,

Let's completely forget about the Samak and Somchai post-coup pro-Thaksin govts...

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Thailand wants democracy and we are going to get it.

Okay, time to stop reading.

What is this sh*t? Since when are foreigners one homogeneous group? According to the Tourism Authority, Asian, Arab and Indian tourists make up the bulk of foreign visitors. I don't think they care about the "shirts" Unless in the eyes of the Pattaya Times, foreigners equate with westerners? Nice.

Obviously, the Pattaya Times doesn't keep on eye on TVF since there is a small but vocal group that will back the current government no matter what. I'm doubt this group of foreigners doesn't care a smidgen about the sentiments of any "shirts", especially, the lippy ones that don't know their place in the hierarchy. :cheesy: :cheesy:

An Australian businessman working in Bangkok, Adrian Lang, says, "Why should the Abhisit government resign? The economy here is among the best in the world."

That's precisely why Thailand deserves change. The economy here is booming and the vast majority of the people have not benefitted at all; quite the reverse, they are struggling to make their low wages stretch to the increasing cost of cooking oil and other staples.

The comparison with Tunisa and Egypt omits one huge detail. Egyptian and Tunisian Troops refused to fire on their own people. The Thai army had and has no such reservations and is completely behind the Ruling Elite. If a renegate officer (Seh Daeng) sides with the people he is assasinated.

My guess is that Thais identify very little with Muslims ruled by dictatorships.

The Thais might bring down the government, but it will have little to do with Egypt.

I heard a lot Thais comparing the situation, but mostly that the Egypts ad Tunisians copied the yellow shirts. I doubt that the mass of Tunisians and Egypts know about the yellow shirts

That's precisely why Thailand deserves change. The economy here is booming and the vast majority of the people have not benefitted at all; quite the reverse, they are struggling to make their low wages stretch to the increasing cost of cooking oil and other staples.

The comparison with Tunisa and Egypt omits one huge detail. Egyptian and Tunisian Troops refused to fire on their own people. The Thai army had and has no such reservations and is completely behind the Ruling Elite. If a renegate officer (Seh Daeng) sides with the people he is assasinated.

WARNING: SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS MAY BE AN EARLY SIGN OF ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE

Let me provide you with a few key words that may help you more accurately remember the events of April last:

Arisman -bring bottles for petrol bombs

Military commander killed

M-79 attacks

Dead and wounded soldiers

Thaksin

hospital invasion

RPG attacks

We'll burn the city

Central World

Red shirt confesses to M-79 and RPG attacks

Terrorism charges

If that doesn't burn through the fog of "thai army shoots unarmed protesters" then you should consult a doctor post haste.:o

Everyday here, there are posted some of the worst examples of journalism you may ever read. It's a toss-up if this or the virgin valentine poll story marks a new low. Maybe ThaiVisa should focus a little bit more on quality of stories rather than quantity.

Edited by lannarebirth

Let me provide you with a few key words that may help you more accurately remember the events of April last:

M-79 attacks

Dead and wounded soldiers

Thaksin

hospital invasion

RPG attacks

We'll burn the city

Central World

Terrorism charges

If that doesn't burn through the fog of "thai army shoots unarmed protesters" then you should consult a doctor post haste.:o

Not forgetting two months of holding down town Bangkok under siege even after giving them the elections they came supposedly asking for...

The comparison with Tunisa and Egypt omits one huge detail. Egyptian and Tunisian Troops refused to fire on their own people.

The protesters in Egypt are not (up to now) heavily armed with military weapons, nor have leaders incited violence from the start to crowds like Arisman and other leaders:

The protests there are still happening so we'll have to wait and see if they do turn violent with the use of military weapons, but I doubt that the protesters are heavily armed.

The Thai army had and has no such reservations and is completely behind the Ruling Elite.

If you were here during the protests in Thailand you would know that the Thai military were also hesitant for a long time to use violence to disperse the protest in April and May 2010. It went on for too long after repeated requests to go home so tear gas and rubber bullets were used. Protesters responded with grenades and machine guns, killing several military officers. "You don't bring a knife to a gunfight".

If a renegate officer (Seh Daeng) sides with the people he is assasinated.

He was calling for violent bloody revolution. Many innocent people could have died if things went on the way he wanted. He was insane and had no qualms about killing. It is not known who ordered the assassination; there are many possibilities as has been discussed before.

M-79 attacks

Dead and wounded soldier

Thaksin

hospital invasion

RPG attacks

We'll burn the city

Central World

Terrorism charges

Yes, many people seem to forget the past. I agree!

Whoever this "Australian Business Man" is - where the hell did he get his BS data? What - Thailand one of the best economies in the world?

The majority of the people are living hand to mouth. They are being robbed. They know it.

Sooner or later..... there will also be an uprising on such a scale that no prevailing Thai government or army will be able to prevent

Too many previous posts to pick someone to quote, but I'm with the general consensus here... What a bunch of crock of sh!t..

Journalism? I think not

Baseless argument? I think so...

Yeah, should have stopped after Pattaya - breaking news...

THailand is a country with a corrupt ruling elite that feigns a democratic system. ....and Egypt - remarkably similar.

The main difference seems to be the role of the army which in Thailand will use violence against its own citizens (or rather subjects) at the drop of a hat.

THe population of Thailand has been promised yet another election.

It would seem most likely that any trouble would be postponEd until after that, when the poor majority realises how disenfranchised they really are

Everyday here, there are posted some of the worst examples of journalism you may ever read. It's a toss-up if this or the virgin valentine poll story marks a new low. Maybe ThaiVisa should focus a little bit more on rather than quantity.

Where are these stories with quality?

Too many previous posts to pick someone to quote, but I'm with the general consensus here... What a bunch of crock of sh!t..

Journalism? I think not

Baseless argument? I think so...

Yeah, should have stopped after Pattaya - breaking news...

Entirely agree, this topic is stupid, in any case most Thais don't know WHAT Egypt is, or where it is. Geography is rarely taught here. So the red shirts would definately not understand. Thais are too interested in themselves here, and what they can get. The outside world could be on the moon for all they care.

The main difference seems to be the role of the army which in Thailand will use violence against its own citizens (or rather subjects) at the drop of a hat.

If the military did actually use violence "at the drop of a hat" then the April to May 2010 protests would not have lasted that long.

You are also ignoring the fact that protesters here used military weapons, and were supported by an opposition party and an ex-PM wanting to regain power.

What is this sh*t? Since when are foreigners one homogeneous group? According to the Tourism Authority, Asian, Arab and Indian tourists make up the bulk of foreign visitors. I don't think they care about the "shirts" Unless in the eyes of the Pattaya Times, foreigners equate with westerners? Nice.

Obviously, the Pattaya Times doesn't keep on eye on TVF since there is a small but vocal group that will back the current government no matter what. I'm doubt this group of foreigners doesn't care a smidgen about the sentiments of any "shirts", especially, the lippy ones that don't know their place in the hierarchy. :cheesy: :cheesy:

Just as there is a small group who think that the government cannot do anything right, and Thaksin walks on water hand in hand with Jesus H. Christ.

One ill considered comment engenders another.

Entirely agree, this topic is stupid, in any case most Thais don't know WHAT Egypt is, or where it is. Geography is rarely taught here. So the red shirts would definately not understand. Thais are too interested in themselves here, and what they can get. The outside world could be on the moon for all they care.

You are talking about ordinary Thais, the "pawns", whereas if we talk about the leaders or masterminds behind the "red shirt" protests I think they are watching closely to see where they can tweak their own protest strategy for better success.

Edited by hyperdimension

My guess is that Thais identify very little with Muslims ruled by dictatorships.

The Thais might bring down the government, but it will have little to do with Egypt.

Now the powerful and sometimes violent Red Shirts are joined by their former nemesis, the elite Yellow Shirts. Additionally, the Red Shirts and Yellow Shirts are joined by yet another group. The powerful religious sect called Blue Shirts are also protesting.

\

Red, blue, yellow? <deleted> should I wear for my wedding?:jap:

Now the powerful and sometimes violent Red Shirts are joined by their former nemesis, the elite Yellow Shirts. Additionally, the Red Shirts and Yellow Shirts are joined by yet another group. The powerful religious sect called Blue Shirts are also protesting.

\

Red, blue, yellow? <deleted> should I wear for my wedding?:jap:

The yellows and reds are a small minority. Too bad they have to ruin it for the silent majority.