Foreigner Caught With Hundreds Of Live Rare Animals In Luggage At Thai Airport

webfact

Man caught with rare animals at Thai airport

BANGKOK, February 11, 2011 (AFP) - Dozens of snakes, boxes of spiders and one of the world's rarest tortoises were among hundreds of live animals found in a man's airport luggage after a shopping spree at a Bangkok market, Thai officials said Friday.

Rivo Cahyono, a 34-year-old from Indonesia, was arrested trying to board a flight from the Thai capital when X-rays showed the creatures stuffed inside three suitcases, said the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation department.

Special compartments in the man's bags contained 88 Indian Star tortoises, a protected species, 33 Elongated tortoises and one Ploughshare -- the world's rarest type of tortoise, Wildlife trade group Traffic said.

Among the many snakes found were two Boa Constrictors and 34 Ball Pythons, while 18 Baboon Spiders, packed individually in plastic containers, squirrels, lizards and an African Grey Parrot were also discovered.

The Thai official who made the arrest said Cahyono told authorities he had bought all the animals from Bangkok's Chatuchak Market.

Traffic said the capital's biggest open air market was a "major hub for some of the world's rarest species" and illegal sales continue "every weekend on an open basis" despite complaints to Thai authorities.

The group's regional director, William Schaedla, commended the seizure but raised concerns about the open availability of protected animals at Chatuchak, which he said was "just down the street" from Thai wildlife protection offices.

"Frankly, the situation is totally unacceptable in a country that claims to be effectively addressing illegal wildlife trade," he said.

The group said sellers at the market had openly admitted to its staff that many animals they sold had been illegally obtained and "even offer advice on how to smuggle them out of the country".

A statement from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation department said it estimated the man could have bought all the animals for around 24,000 dollars, but Traffic said the re-sale value would likely be much higher.

Cahyono was about to board an Air Asia flight to Surabaya in Indonesia when animals were discovered in one of his bags, the airline then unloaded two suitcases already on the plane and the extent of the haul was revealed.

He was charged with illegal possession and wildlife smuggling and faces a maximum of four years in prison and a fine up to 40,000 baht ($1,300).

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-11

Wow. Harsh Punishment. With this wimpy slap on the wrist, the guy (and his backers) will be going for another run within a month's time. Try min 5 yrs prison time and 10 million Baht punishment and this stuff might actually occur less frequently n openly.

Wow. Harsh Punishment. With this wimpy slap on the wrist, the guy (and his backers) will be going for another run within a month's time. Try min 5 yrs prison time and 10 million Baht punishment and this stuff might actually occur less frequently n openly.

That would mean less teamoney from Chatuchak. :ph34r:

:annoyed:

Surely it would be better to stuff him in the suitcase with the Boas, pythons and spiders and give him a round the world trip - see how he likes it.

The loss of our planets biodiversity is startling and it sickens me when people exploit our shared heritage for a few qucik bucks.

I think the Thai Wildlife Protection Officers need to get off their <deleted> and make weekly raids to JJ. If they are unwilling to do so, then i suggest they find new jobs - if they like teamoney then i suggest the Police Force.

Surely this is an article from NOT the Nation? :blink: With Thai authorities admitting that these animals were purchased "just down the street" from Thai wildlife protection services. You cant write better comedy than that, a glaring headlight on Thailands incompetence, I mean all they gotta do is walk down the fuc_king street to make a huge difference but its just another corrupt paid organisation pretending to do work when in reality they are obviously doing absolutely nothing.

One might assume he is telling the police he purchased these animals at the market to protect the real seller. Although the market is very big and i have not seen 100% of it. I also did not see all these rare animals. Maybe they keep them hidden or maybe i did not find the exotic animal section...

This man goes to prison whilst another pack his things to go for a short travel to BKK. It's again the Thai authorities who are not able to do their job.

""The group's regional director, William Schaedla, commended the seizure but raised concerns about the open availability of protected animals at Chatuchak, which he said was "just down the street" from Thai wildlife protection offices.""

Law is just an entertainment thing here in LOS

fatfather

One might assume he is telling the police he purchased these animals at the market to protect the real seller. Although the market is very big and i have not seen 100% of it. I also did not see all these rare animals. Maybe they keep them hidden or maybe i did not find the exotic animal section...

Ummm. I doubt they advertise, "Endangered Species for Sale Here" on the off chance that a passing backpacker wants to buy one.

Heart breaking story....

Lack of compassion in a Buddhist country.

Corruption.

Treachary.

Bribery.

A Pathetic legal system with a fine barely 5% the value of the goods !!!

All that is bad in Thailand rolled into one story.

I suspect if you want "rare and endangered" at Chatuchak it is like fake Rolex Watches - they are never openly displayed, they are hidden in a back shop or even, Maybe in the offices of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department and if they were - why would that not surprise me.

The only thing missing is the Recipe for cooking these animals with a spicy sauce !!!!

Traffic said the capital's biggest open air market was a "major hub for some of the world's rarest species" and illegal sales continue "every weekend on an open basis" despite complaints to Thai authorities

Hey finally,after announcing hundreds of them,they have a hub in Thailand.

Too bad it is one of the criminal kind.

"Special compartments in the man's bags contained 88 Indian Star tortoises, a protected species, 33 Elongated tortoises and one Ploughshare -- the world's rarest type of tortoise, Wildlife trade group Traffic said.

Among the many snakes found were two Boa Constrictors and 34 Ball Pythons, while 18 Baboon Spiders, packed individually in plastic containers, squirrels, lizards and an African Grey Parrot were also discovered."

It seems scarcely credible he could cram so much into his bags - I think I'll have to consider the feasibility of Noah cramming two of every species into an ark in light of this.

P.S I don't suppose Noah stocked up at Chatuchak.

Surely this is an article from NOT the Nation? :blink: With Thai authorities admitting that these animals were purchased "just down the street" from Thai wildlife protection services. You cant write better comedy than that, a glaring headlight on Thailands incompetence, I mean all they gotta do is walk down the fuc_king street to make a huge difference but its just another corrupt paid organisation pretending to do work when in reality they are obviously doing absolutely nothing.

Does this mean that not only the police take tea-money??

This problem has been going on for years with Chatuchack the usual outlet for such endangered species. The trade isn't visible there however that is where transactions take place.

The cops probably wouldn't risk a bust there as the trade is too well entrenched. Easier to nick the stooge at the airport than to risk exposing the real villains of the piece.

Baboon Spiders are from East Africa so were probably bred here and aren't exactly endangered.

The article doesn't specify, but it seems like his 2 'hold' suitcases got on the plane no problems, but that the illegal contents of his cabin bag were picked up on the scanner. If so, this would raise questions about the effectiveness of the security process for hold luggage.

Regarding the accusations of conspiracy involving the Department of National Park,Wildlife and Plant Conservation, it seems more likely that the Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Suppression Division, located next door on Pahonyothin Rd. just down from Yaek Kaset, would be the ones directly mandated and capable of conducting regular raids on the illegal sales at JJ market. As far as I know they are a section of the Royal Thai Police.

The article doesn't specify, but it seems like his 2 'hold' suitcases got on the plane no problems, but that the illegal contents of his cabin bag were picked up on the scanner. If so, this would raise questions about the effectiveness of the security process for hold luggage.

Regarding the accusations of conspiracy involving the Department of National Park,Wildlife and Plant Conservation, it seems more likely that the Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Suppression Division, located next door on Pahonyothin Rd. just down from Yaek Kaset, would be the ones directly mandated and capable of conducting regular raids on the illegal sales at JJ market. As far as I know they are a section of the Royal Thai Police.

Given that this is a well organised and long standing trade I'm not surprised that the wildlife staff can do little- as they are well down the tea money food chain, and clearly represent an obstacle. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were told that it was not in their interests, or their families, friends, to make a fuss.

This one sounds like the guy didn't pay enough to get through. Maybe someone could get some interest in it all by suggesting that gold bars were being smuggled in the animals ! that would get some action !

"Cahyono was about to board an Air Asia flight to Surabaya in Indonesia when animals were discovered in one of his bags, the airline then unloaded two suitcases already on the plane"

it's possible, that his hand luggage was manually checked (as it often happens in bkk) just before entering the departure gate. Every passanger is checked, including body search (this one is at random). Looks, like xray machines are not perfect and if he known how to pack animals to avoid detection, than he managed to get through.

I was departing from bkk a few days ago and under the tables, where the search is done, there were tens of different items confiscated (mostly creams).

looks, like the guy in the story was too gready to pack animals even in his hand luggage

In the Burmese border town of Tachilek there are still some stalls selling endangered animal parts, tiger teeth/bones, leopard skins, tortoise shells, etc. - but no live animals in sight. The Night Bazaar in Chiang Rai has elephant tusk openly for sale, though it's quite small, about 14 inches long and an inch in diameter.

It wouldn't be difficult to set up a 'sting operation' at the big weekend market in Bkk, except Thai authorities are no good at setting up stings. Something in the Thai character which precludes them from being able to plan and execute a successful sting operation of any sort.

The over paid NGO's and do-good organisations have no power against the BiB and Thai mafias running these operations. None whatsoever, so by having a presence here one can only assume they are just in it for 'the money' - both sides.

How much was the leopard dkin?

I don't know, but a Burmese guide over there (dirt poor, but speaks better English than most Thai English teachers I've met) ....told me he's got a regular Brit client who comes over - and all he wants to buy are monkey skulls.

I told the guide the Brit's a sicko.

The over paid NGO's and do-good organisations have no power against the BiB and Thai mafias running these operations. None whatsoever, so by having a presence here one can only assume they are just in it for 'the money' - both sides.

the wildlife protection service is a governmental organisation, part of the police - nothing to do with ngo and do-gooders.

ngo are concentrating on conservation, tracing trade of wildlife is secondary and they can only publicise cases, rise awareness of the problem and give care to the animals who escaped, were ceased or donated, before releasing them into wild.