Work Permit Requirements For Self Employed

I am planningon staying In Thailand with an extension to stay based on having a Thai wife,and I want to help her build her business which is an Internet Café, so I wouldbe installing, configuring and maintaining equipment, but not directly gettingpaid.

The businessis not registered and does not currently have sufficient turn-over to employme.

To add afurther complication I also run an online business, based in the UK and would like to continue doing this when inThailand, although I arrangefor this to be done from the UKif it complicates things too much.

I understandthat I cannot do any of these things without a work permit, but is it possibleto get one without being employed by a Thai company?

What arethe requirements?

Apologies if this has been asked before but Icannot find the answer to this question on the forum.

from Post #2: Who will know what you are doing out the back? Just hope it isn't the Thai-owner of the Internet café down the block.

BTW Internet cafés are watched by the police to see that students are not in there on school-days before 2pm -- I was twice in cafés that were raided by the police and temporarily closed.

Edited by jazzbo

As regards your wife's business. Installing, configuring (?) & maintaining should be done by a Thai man (200B per day) with you acting in a supervisory capacity, as a customer. In other words, you told your wife who then told the Thai man how to do something.:lol:

As for your internet business, don't shout it from the rooftops & you should be OK; best to cut out your wife's tongue, although this may also cut out your only reason for staying in LOS.:whistling:

Ask your wife to register her business at the Commercial Office.

Then you go to the Labor Office and apply for a work permit in your wifes business.

They will ask to see your visa and then they will give you a work permit lasting as long as your visa.

I take it, that you're in LOS on a marriage visa?

I recently have been to the office in Phuket and am informed "freelance" permits can be issued at the issuing office's discretion. It is 3000 baht .

Never heard of a freelance work permit.

Was told and I quote, " It is a new law.."

Edited by TigerWan

I have had several e mail conversations which state this and a personal interview.

I was informed the application would cost 100 baht and if approved 3000 baht for issuance of an actual permit.

This is the normal fee, correct- ? Presumably issued with a receipt.

So what is the advantage of telling me something that isn't true that I can then present evidence from e mails to complain??

Complain to whom, though I guess would be a consideration, are they under any higher authority in reality?

QUOTE.... I understandthat I cannot do any of these things without a work permit, but is it possibleto get one without being employed by a Thai company?

An easy answer for you regardless of what has been said here....NO NO and NO...simple as that..

I am American and have looked into Amity Treaty , but this is not related to such a company that would need to be registered as that is what Amity is about, bypassing 51 % Thai owned share rules.

Though...Maybe I really don't know that, good question. I plan to follow through, will stay posted.

I'd like to add from earlier comments on the thread, I was also told that day to day tasks such as house work, laundry, washing your own windows, gardening and attending to your own property including maintaining your personal car does not require a work permit and no one has ever been fined for it.

Thailand's laws are proper and adequate to protect it's own people,.IMO it's all the circumvention that prevents the too restrictive tweaks from being ironed out. - such as using nominees on companies to own land, which is a very common and flagrant disregard for the spirit of the law.

... which then inhibits meaningful restructuring of laws that are too restrictive- or sets it up for graft, the cynic would say.

If they want quality foreign residents , they have to let us have lives without risking our savings with Thai " Partners"

Please.

Edited by TigerWan