Seasonal Air Pollution In Chiangmai

Rasseru

In the Pa Daet area where we live, south of Mahidol Road and west of the Ping River, an extremely acrid burning odor starts floating through at about 1 AM every night. As far as I can tell this only started a month or so ago. At least that is when it started to be strong enough to wake me up. It is so bad that it makes my eyes water if I stand out on the balcony for 10 minutes or longer. It is mostly gone by morning but it means that we can't leave the windows open over night to enjoy the cool air. Now we have to cycle air into the house from outside around midnight and again in the morning when the smell is gone and keep the windows closed all night.

The smell seems to come from southeast of here but I can't be sure about that. Anyone have any idea what the source of this might be?

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Looking forward to the appearance on this thread, or another, of the usual interesting and high-quality posts (and friendly debate) from/by our esteemed Khun Priceless and Khun MapGuy ! And the person who used to put up such interesting charts some years ago ... what became of him ?

Subjectively, it does seem to us that the nights, the 5AM to 7AM time particularly, for a February in CM, in the last two weeks, have been cooler than we expected: although when examining the weather stats on TV's service, or WeatherUnderground, really can't see justification for this perception: so perhaps it is just an artifact of our meat package's body fat being so much lower thanks to Soy-Joy :)

best, ~o:37;

Khun Duality,

Yes, the season is nearly upon us, but no particular debate in the offing!

So far, the Chiang Mai "suburban" PM<10 count has been hovering around 50. Same in town at the Uparaj School site. Get up above 60 and things do begin to get very noticeably hazy. It seems that we have had some fairly steady breezes in the past few days. They do bring relief, even as daytime temperatures begin to climb now. Early this morning was gorgeous!

It appears that agricultural burning in Thailand is heaviest on the Central Plains south of us. Despite some agricultural burning in the area, things have thus far stayed relatively pleasant.

For those interested in sources of information on air pollution, particularly PM (particulate matter) problems, there is a huge amount of information and a lot of sources already posted on TV. Just search for them using the usual terms, like "air pollution," "pollution." One odd thread title (as I recall) was "Is It Raining?"!

The latest comprehensive report on Thailand is attached.

Thailand_Air_Quality_Profile_-_2010_Edition.pdf

10:20 in the morining and can see Doi Suthep from my house 25 km away.:D

That's nothing.

At noon today I can see DOI INTHANON from downtown Chiang Mai!!

This is 100 kms away! (or plm. 60 kms as the crow flies)

Eating candy have we??:lol:

I believe it. You can't see doi inthanon from street level due to all kinds of obstructions but on a clear day like today you can most definitely see it from buildings, bridges, etc. I can take a picture tomorrow if you like.

10:20 in the morining and can see Doi Suthep from my house 25 km away.:D

That's nothing.

At noon today I can see DOI INTHANON from downtown Chiang Mai!!

This is 100 kms away! (or plm. 60 kms as the crow flies)

Eating candy have we??:lol:

I believe it. You can't see doi inthanon from street level due to all kinds of obstructions but on a clear day like today you can most definitely see it from buildings, bridges, etc. I can take a picture tomorrow if you like.

OK how about a photo tomorrow.:) And your probably correct after looking on GE about 60 km and at approximately 2800 meters should be a fair photo if it is clear.

Edited by gotlost

Ice is water too. ;)

But seriously, to the whiners: If you plan to be here in March to whine about the air, but then leave Thailand in April then you're doing it wrong.

Personally I'll be away in March, but ensure I return well in time for the biggest party of the year!

WTK,

I'm only a part-time whiner as I'm here for my time off from work - and have been (in CM) for the past 24yrs. - work one month (away), off one month (here) so it's not too bad for me. I do worry about my family's health though. And yes, I've got all the filters going full blast during smoky season.

I live in a studio apartment. If I ruin the air con will it clean the air before it enters the room?

Ice is water too. ;)

But seriously, to the whiners: If you plan to be here in March to whine about the air, but then leave Thailand in April then you're doing it wrong.

Personally I'll be away in March, but ensure I return well in time for the biggest party of the year!

WTK,

I'm only a part-time whiner as I'm here for my time off from work - and have been (in CM) for the past 24yrs. - work one month (away), off one month (here) so it's not too bad for me. I do worry about my family's health though. And yes, I've got all the filters going full blast during smoky season.

I live in a studio apartment. If I ruin the air con will it clean the air before it enters the room?

Probably won't do anything if it is ruined.

Hello Winnie the Kwai,

Are you getting calluses on your fingertips making offhand comments here about air pollution and those who are concerned about it? My goodness, you post a lot!

So, what's it like out there, folks?

So far, this season, not bad compared to some earlier ones. There have been some truly (visually)lovely days recently, especially in the morning. But things unfortunately are pretty much "on schedule," as such seasonal schedules go. I received a satellite bulletin today that indicates that the "good times" could be over --- no great surprise: 7 fires in the Doi Suthep-Pui area. Now, you have to understand that these are major fires; satellites don't catch local field burns of short duration, which is the usual annual custom. Those local burns do, unfortunately, have a collective impact. Otherwise, other general bulletins suggest that burning on the Central Plains is smoldering along!

Problem is that the particulate matter gets in your lungs, especially that PM<2.5 variety, which can only be estimated in Thailand because it is not widely measured except in special studies. When things get really smoky, just ask your local hospital or clinic what patients are complaining about. This is not rocket science, folks! All the shit in the air is a health problem!

Now, parenthetically, if you don't believe me, wipe off your kitchen counter, coffee table top, top of TV or whatever with a clean cloth. What do you see? Actually, most of that doesn't get into your lungs (if you are a healthy person), but the smaller particles you DON'T see do. Reasonable science pegs those at about 60% of the total!

What to do except "whinge" here? That is the word, isn't it? The first step is to go cold turkey and get out of uncaring denial (e.g., It bothers some people less than others). If you have any energy beyond posting here, and some perseverance and creativity, you, too can be a voice for change. This is where you live! Why can't people figure out how to do that? One person, of course, doesn't solve such problems, but a lot of people together do.

If you want to learn more, check out previous threads on TV, if you are lazy. If you are really serious, there's a lot more out there to help you understand that there is, indeed, a problem that affects YOU as well, of course, others ---- if you care.

One next to last thought. The TIT (This Is Thailand!) bullshit response is really tiresome. The same sorts of problems were experienced in Europe, Australia and North America.

Another next to last comment. Don't blame Burma or Laos! Yes, there are problems there as well as in Vietnam, especially the south. To blame others is a cop out, nothing more. Do what you can do where you are. That takes cojones enough! You got any?

A last thought. How long did it take for people to get serious about smoking and secondary smoke? Quite a while! But enough people said I don't have to put up with this shit!

So...............?

Excellent graph posted earlier by Seesip. I'm too lazy to do a similar one for the PM10 readings for the past 6 years, but my anecdotal evidence is that this has been the best February of my 6 years in CM.

But I do realize it's about to come to an end. Today's PM10 reading went to 56 from yesterday's 33, a 70% increase. With all the burning I saw today on the Samoeng Road and in the Mae Rim area, I'm sure tomorrow's numbers will be even worse.

March is coming. I'm leaving.

Excellent graph posted earlier by Seesip. I'm too lazy to do a similar one for the PM10 readings for the past 6 years, but my anecdotal evidence is that this has been the best February of my 6 years in CM.

But I do realize it's about to come to an end. Today's PM10 reading went to 56 from yesterday's 33, a 70% increase. With all the burning I saw today on the Samoeng Road and in the Mae Rim area, I'm sure tomorrow's numbers will be even worse.

I'd agree; this February has been very clear until today. It has got noticeably worse in the last 24 hours though, and there's a very red sunset unfolding at the moment. Looks like we're heading into the worst of it now.

I'd agree; this February has been very clear until today. It has got noticeably worse in the last 24 hours though, and there's a very red sunset unfolding at the moment. Looks like we're heading into the worst of it now.

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves. I do agree that time is changing.... BUT one year ago for this time PM-10 was at 62.8 where today we are at 56. AND the high for this month so far was Feb. 12 at 62.8. Like the old sailors saying... Red skies in the morning sailors take warning, red skies at night sailors delight.

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves. I do agree that time is changing.... BUT one year ago for this time PM-10 was at 62.8 where today we are at 56. AND the high for this month so far was Feb. 12 at 62.8. Like the old sailors saying... Red skies in the morning sailors take warning, red skies at night sailors delight.

Not many sailors in Chiang Mai though. The local version might go something like:

Red sky in the morning, smoky day dawning

Red sky at night, asthmatics take flight

Today. Red dotes are fires.

asia.jpg

The rains last week surely postponed the worst for a bit, but that Sat image is not encouraging.

We're outta here come March 11th(school holiday), then it's off to the south to catch a clear sea breeze.

This is my major issue with CM as a place to live. It's ridiculous, and the scale of it is so overwhelming I don't see how it could possibly get resolved in my lifetime. And if Victorian London is anything to go by, nothing will happen until thousands of people actually die from it every year...

We're outta here come March 11th(school holiday), then it's off to the south to catch a clear sea breeze.

That's fairly late. The worst of it is typically early through mid March. You don't want to be breathing almost two weeks of that. I would leave as soon as you see the Lampang numbers go over 120. (Looking at past years, Lampang got a spike before Chiang Mai)

For example, in 2007 (a very bad year), on March 6th the PM-10 reading was 243, more than double the already high Thai limit.

So if it's a bad year, you will want to leave just about when March starts. And be back early April, in time for Songkran.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai