Food Rationing At Carrefour?

silverhawk_usa

Coconut milk is high in saturated fat........they're just doing you a favour. wink.gif

Yeh just like they advertise how bad smoking is for us, nothing to do with trying to save money on the NHS or realising nicotine patches are just as addictive minus the complications....

In the Arabic countries are the high food prices a reason for revolution, can we expect that here soon too?

Thailand has high food prices??

If I spend 300 Baht at the market, I can't carry it all.

You are not Thai i presume? :lol:

In the Arabic countries are the high food prices a reason for revolution, can we expect that here soon too?

Thailand has high food prices??

If I spend 300 Baht at the market, I can't carry it all.

You are not Thai i presume? :lol:

If I were Thai I'd probably even get more for less........though after many years at the markets I think I get a fair deal wink.gif

So just to clarify the reason commodoties and food prices are skyrocketing and being rationed is because of hyperinflation and the payback to the banks of debts taken by the governments during the crashes....?

More or less. I outlined the chain of events earlier. Keep a couple of things in mind however.

First weather can play a big part and I think is partly to blame for the coconut and Palm oil problems.

Second it wasn't JUST the banks and Wall Street that were greedy. From mortgage brokers to everyday people lying on loan applications, to governments encouraging home ownership, to politicians being bought by mortgage interests such as Fannie and Freddie.

In sum we are about to pay for our collective debt binge of the last 40 or more years. Add a few things like crop shortfalls, genetic engineering gone awry, or another shock to the financial system and that will determine when and how bad it might be.

The name of the game is CAPITALISM.

Ehm.. no.

If it was Capitalism then the price would just go up, but anyone could buy as much as they want as long as they could afford it.

Compare: 70 Baht palm oil and you and me can afford it just fine. Versus: Same government limited price, but only one bottle for you, me, the rice farmer and the red bus driver.

So.. the name of the game is actually much closer to COMMUNISM!

Actually, the term is BAILOUT. The US went into such debt when it "saved" the financial system in 2008, (which of course was a problem it caused), then added to that debt through stimulus packages. The only way to pay back that and other debts is with inflated dollars, hence QE I and II...where the Fed monetizes the debt, by printing money out of thin air, which is the definition of inflation. Many of those dollars chase after hard assets, like metals, oil and yes, even food. It will get worse in coming years, perhaps much worse.

So that augers well for the other thread " Where is Gold going in this market".

Its rreasons like this that support an increasing gold price... fear.. So when there is very little food available those wiht gold will be able to buy it,, the rest of us will starve or eat our worthless US currency..

Not so good on the food front tho... the UN has been bleeting about food shortages for years but no one listens !! Surprise surprise..

The name of the game is CAPITALISM.

Ehm.. no.

If it was Capitalism then the price would just go up, but anyone could buy as much as they want as long as they could afford it.

Compare: 70 Baht palm oil and you and me can afford it just fine. Versus: Same government limited price, but only one bottle for you, me, the rice farmer and the red bus driver.

So.. the name of the game is actually much closer to COMMUNISM!

Actually, the term is BAILOUT. The US went into such debt when it "saved" the financial system in 2008, (which of course was a problem it caused), then added to that debt through stimulus packages. The only way to pay back that and other debts is with inflated dollars, hence QE I and II...where the Fed monetizes the debt, by printing money out of thin air, which is the definition of inflation. Many of those dollars chase after hard assets, like metals, oil and yes, even food. It will get worse in coming years, perhaps much worse.

So that augers well for the other thread " Where is Gold going in this market".

Its rreasons like this that support an increasing gold price... fear.. So when there is very little food available those wiht gold will be able to buy it,, the rest of us will starve or eat our worthless US currency..

Not so good on the food front tho... the UN has been bleeting about food shortages for years but no one listens !! Surprise surprise..

Exactly. No-one does a thing until there is a crisis. Politicians are in the business of buying votes. Dare not tell the constituents there is trouble ahead, and ask for preventative measures.

When I walk into Carrefour or any other major supermarket, I can't say I've noticed a shortage of food.

Maybe some things are in limited supply, but a shortage of food? huh.gif

There is no shortage of food only for people who don't have the money to buy any ,they are the ones we should be worried about.Can't believe how many foreigners still buy their fruit and veges at the likes of Rimping etc when its probably fresher and certainly a lot cheaper at the markets. Old habits die hard I guess. Regarding eggs, our local Sunday street market still sell them 30 baht for 10. The same price as 2 years ago and probably longer.

I've found a variation in price for a bunch of Gluay Hom (farang style bananas) from 25-75 BT

Over 70 was Rimping and one other place (can't remember), 55 in Makro and 25 at a local market - not telling where as you'll all be down there in the morning :whistling:

This happens a lot with fruit and vegetables. Before and close to Chinese New year the price of oranges went up by the hour apparently.

However when it comes to the basics such as oil, rice, coconut milk, sugar the prices seem to be less in variation. These are more strictly regulated and are the staples, so a bit worrying when there are shortages and hyperinflation.

I guess we just have to wait for the bottom to fall out of agri commodities . As at the moment that is where the money is being sucked up.

No shortage of food, but oil is in short supply and that is used to fuel the machines, that work the land, process the fertilizer, transport it, package it, store it, then retail it.

We need to kick the oil habit, just as surely as a junky addict needs to get off heroin. But there is no profit in that for the big boys.mad.gif

None of it's real.

No shortage of food, but oil is in short supply and that is used to fuel the machines, that work the land, process the fertilizer, transport it, package it, store it, then retail it.

We need to kick the oil habit, just as surely as a junky addict needs to get off heroin. But there is no profit in that for the big boys.mad.gif

None of it's real.

OIL IS POWER

Over 70 was Rimping and one other place (can't remember), 55 in Makro and 25 at a local market - not telling where as you'll all be down there in the morning :whistling:

Kad Muang Mai.

Whoa, the secret is out. ;)

Wrong !!!!! :D

Ok: Sanpakhoi market. If not that, then either Mae Hia or Hang Dong market. :P

Or one of those temporary markets they have on some days. Those can be seriously cheap.

Kad Muang Mai.

Whoa, the secret is out. ;)

Wrong !!!!! :D

Ok: Sanpakhoi market. If not that, then either Mae Hia or Hang Dong market. :P

Or one of those temporary markets they have on some days. Those can be seriously cheap.

Hah ! Wrong , wrong , wrong & wrong again !!!

This is really really worrying (i guess thats what they want).

I noticed the pound was upto 50 against the baht last week but is now back to scraping 49, was this a trojan horse...

Tuna has been predicted to run out within the next 5 years due to over fishing but oil and coconut... in Asia... wow!

I can't believe the world is like this now thanks to some really selfish banking families. I really hope we all come together soon and fight back.

I'll join when the shortages impact the beer supply.

Don't even joke about it!

It appears the Coconut cream shortage is caused by the palms getting diseases, and in some commercial plantations, some 80% of trees have died. Advice? See ANY coconut cream anywhere -buy it. I believe this is going to be a long term problem.

I should add , this is a Thailand wide problem. I live in Buriram ,and both coconut cream and oil have been unavailable for some weeks now

The sign has been there at Rimping for over 2 weeks.... +++ The price for the small coconut milk tetra pack was 15 - 18 Baht depending on the Brand and is now 30 -32 Baht per tetra pack......That price jump happened within a period of 3 weeks .....!!!!

And Makro ( Hang Dong ) hasn't had any stock at all for more than 2 months ...

Same with white sugar at Rimping .... For the past 3 weeks ...1 pack of 1 KG only allowed per family

The same with cooking oil... Makro = no stock.... Rimping very little and about to be rationned.... Big C had a special running this week saying only 2 bottles of oil allowed per family but was funny in a way to see all these people pushing and shoving and filling up their carts with umpteen botles and event the guard positioned there was just blank as couldn't control the mob

Walnuts..... at Makro which were 210 Baht for 450 Grams up till 2 weeks ago are now 287 Baht ....??? Rimping 387 Baht .....

Eggs even at the market have gone from 70 Baht for 30, to 92 and today 97 Baht

Where are we heading to ...??

Just came from Rimping. They are putting up the signs there now!

now, perhaps, people will understand how very convenient a little border war with Cambodia and getting the 'Yellow Shirts' to parade around Bangkok is for the government. Fills up the TV schedules and relegates the need to show empty shelves in the supermarkets. and this is an election year - isn't it?

And the economy is rebounding. What's your point. Are you blaming the Thai Government for the lack of cocunut oil and shortage of tuna fish?

When I walk into Carrefour or any other major supermarket, I can't say I've noticed a shortage of food.

Maybe some things are in limited supply, but a shortage of food? huh.gif

There is no shortage of food only for people who don't have the money to buy any ,they are the ones we should be worried about.Can't believe how many foreigners still buy their fruit and veges at the likes of Rimping etc when its probably fresher and certainly a lot cheaper at the markets. Old habits die hard I guess. Regarding eggs, our local Sunday street market still sell them 30 baht for 10. The same price as 2 years ago and probably longer.

Fruit and veg is much fresher and way cheaper at the markets. The only difference is that they don't employ a couple of people to wash and polish everything first. Maybe the Rimping addicts think their potatoes come out of the ground without a speck of dirt on them.

By the time all the washing and polishing has finished the freshness has gone.

And the economy is rebounding. What's your point. Are you blaming the Thai Government for the lack of cocunut oil and shortage of tuna fish?

I think his point is exactly what he stated: That there could be a whole lot more to investigate and report on this topic, but instead all the yapping is about some yellow buffoons wanting to make war over a dusty temple.

Fruit and veg is much fresher and way cheaper at the markets. The only difference is that they don't employ a couple of people to wash and polish everything first. Maybe the Rimping addicts think their potatoes come out of the ground without a speck of dirt on them.

By the time all the washing and polishing has finished the freshness has gone.

Agreed. Though I have a thing for potatoes that are individually wrapped in a mesh-styrofoam sleeve. I don't know why but that's the greatest thing ever. Maybe it's the recognition that the lowly potato finally receives. Go Spuds!