Food Rationing At Carrefour?

silverhawk_usa

Today the girlfriend and I did some routine shopping at Carrefour. When we got to the checkout the clerk removed the cartons of Coconut Milk we were attempting to purchase, maybe 4 very small cartons and 3 a little larger. After a conversation between the GF and the clerk, it was explained to me that there is some "new law" in effect that says you are only allowed to buy one carton of coconut milk per person. You can buy the small or the large, but only one. She said this also applied to the two cans of tuna I had purchased, but as there were two of us, it was OK.

The explanation passed on to me was that prices were going up, there is a short supply, and they don't want one person buying too many. I guess to stop hording or some such thing. What are the restaurants and roadside stalls doing if this is true?

Anyone that can explain this better? :jap:

The sign has been there at Rimping for over 2 weeks.... +++ The price for the small coconut milk tetra pack was 15 - 18 Baht depending on the Brand and is now 30 -32 Baht per tetra pack......That price jump happened within a period of 3 weeks .....!!!!

And Makro ( Hang Dong ) hasn't had any stock at all for more than 2 months ...

Same with white sugar at Rimping .... For the past 3 weeks ...1 pack of 1 KG only allowed per family

The same with cooking oil... Makro = no stock.... Rimping very little and about to be rationned.... Big C had a special running this week saying only 2 bottles of oil allowed per family but was funny in a way to see all these people pushing and shoving and filling up their carts with umpteen botles and event the guard positioned there was just blank as couldn't control the mob

Walnuts..... at Makro which were 210 Baht for 450 Grams up till 2 weeks ago are now 287 Baht ....??? Rimping 387 Baht .....

Eggs even at the market have gone from 70 Baht for 30, to 92 and today 97 Baht

Where are we heading to ...??

Just came from Rimping. They are putting up the signs there now!

The sign has been there at Rimping for over 2 weeks.... +++ The price for the small coconut milk tetra pack was 15 - 18 Baht depending on the Brand and is now 30 -32 Baht per tetra pack......That price jump happened within a period of 3 weeks .....!!!!

And Makro ( Hang Dong ) hasn't had any stock at all for more than 2 months ...

Same with white sugar at Rimping .... For the past 3 weeks ...1 pack of 1 KG only allowed per family

The same with cooking oil... Makro = no stock.... Rimping very little and about to be rationned.... Big C had a special running this week saying only 2 bottles of oil allowed per family but was funny in a way to see all these people pushing and shoving and filling up their carts with umpteen botles and event the guard positioned there was just blank as couldn't control the mob

Walnuts..... at Makro which were 210 Baht for 450 Grams up till 2 weeks ago are now 287 Baht ....??? Rimping 387 Baht .....

Eggs even at the market have gone from 70 Baht for 30, to 92 and today 97 Baht

Where are we heading to ...??

Just came from Rimping. They are putting up the signs there now!

now, perhaps, people will understand how very convenient a little border war with Cambodia and getting the 'Yellow Shirts' to parade around Bangkok is for the government. Fills up the TV schedules and relegates the need to show empty shelves in the supermarkets. and this is an election year - isn't it?

Most Thais are poor and large increases in food staples have political risks. That's why in many countries, staples are subsidized.

The spark in this new revolutionary phase in the middle east starting with Tunisia was reportedly sparked by people being outraged over food prices.

Edited by Jingthing

It seems Thailand is buying palm oil off the Malaysians at way over the price it fetches there, where if I understand correctly it is subsidised for the local market.

It seems that Malaysia is also stockpiling Thai rice in fear of the Chinese having food shortages in the near future.

Is China turning into the prospective goat in everyones' back garden (goats of course eat anything and everything). Been reading a few articles lately about Chinese agribusiness in Laos and Burma; so got me thinking along those lines.

Of course hyperinflation in commodities is bad for politics, but then how much control do the politicians have over the big corporations governing food prices and how much do they want to control it in lieu of profit.

The name of the game is CAPITALISM.

Ehm.. no.

If it was Capitalism then the price would just go up, but anyone could buy as much as they want as long as they could afford it.

Compare: 70 Baht palm oil and you and me can afford it just fine. Versus: Same government limited price, but only one bottle for you, me, the rice farmer and the red bus driver.

So.. the name of the game is actually much closer to COMMUNISM!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It seems Thailand is buying palm oil off the Malaysians at way over the price it fetches there, where if I understand correctly it is subsidised for the local market.

It seems that Malaysia is also stockpiling Thai rice in fear of the Chinese having food shortages in the near future.

Is China turning into the prospective goat in everyones' back garden (goats of course eat anything and everything). Been reading a few articles lately about Chinese agribusiness in Laos and Burma; so got me thinking along those lines.

Of course hyperinflation in commodities is bad for politics, but then how much control do the politicians have over the big corporations governing food prices and how much do they want to control it in lieu of profit.

Well our current PM's father is a director of CP foods, one of the largest food corporations in the country so, the answer to your question is - a fair bit!

Well our current PM's father is a director of CP foods, one of the largest food corporations in the country so, the answer to your question is - a fair bit!

Well, wait, give some credit where credit is due; CP's meat products are so incredibly fatty that you don't really need any kind of oil to fry them. Being of Chinese heritage we got a (CP brand) duck for newyears, and you just won't believe the amount of oil that came out of that one. I swear I could have inserted it into the fuel tank of the truck and drove to work on it. But the same of course applies to their chicken and pork. Wow.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The name of the game is CAPITALISM.

Ehm.. no.

If it was Capitalism then the price would just go up, but anyone could buy as much as they want as long as they could afford it.

Compare: 70 Baht palm oil and you and me can afford it just fine. Versus: Same government limited price, but only one bottle for you, me, the rice farmer and the red bus driver.

So.. the name of the game is actually much closer to COMMUNISM!

Actually, the term is BAILOUT. The US went into such debt when it "saved" the financial system in 2008, (which of course was a problem it caused), then added to that debt through stimulus packages. The only way to pay back that and other debts is with inflated dollars, hence QE I and II...where the Fed monetizes the debt, by printing money out of thin air, which is the definition of inflation. Many of those dollars chase after hard assets, like metals, oil and yes, even food. It will get worse in coming years, perhaps much worse.

This is really really worrying (i guess thats what they want).

I noticed the pound was upto 50 against the baht last week but is now back to scraping 49, was this a trojan horse...

Tuna has been predicted to run out within the next 5 years due to over fishing but oil and coconut... in Asia... wow!

I can't believe the world is like this now thanks to some really selfish banking families. I really hope we all come together soon and fight back.

I noticed the pound was upto 50 against the baht last week but is now back to scraping 49, was this a trojan horse...

Tuna has been predicted to run out within the next 5 years due to over fishing but oil and coconut... in Asia... wow!

I can't believe the world is like this now thanks to some really selfish banking families. I really hope we all come together soon and fight back.

At the end of the day its still paper money backed by a failing system

I'll join when the shortages impact the beer supply.

Strange this should happen to the OP as we were in Carrefour yesterday after noon as well. The sign is there about Coconut Milk right in front of the product and it clearly states in English and Thai that no more than 3 cartons must be taken by any one person or family on one day. We wanted five so I said to the Mrs I will take two and go to a different till but by the time we got to the checkout some 40 min's later I had forgotton. As I unloaded the trolley I realised and owned up to the girl thinking she would remove the extra two but she just said 'ok' and put them in our bags. Just lucky I guess as I could not find any at all in Tesco or Makro last week. Plenty of Oil everywhere at 47 Baht per bottle and 3 allowed in Tesco.