The Road Behind Jongceylon?

TheWizardofRnR

Except the few people who haven't told anybody ,

since who knows why , when or where.!

I just think as pedestrians and motorists alike ,

if we were to die on that road , what would the story say ???

Well it happened on the road behind Jongceylon ! Oh yeah that road nobody

knows the name of !

Well I for one, having moved to what I would describe to you

as Jongceylon Boulevard , but just off of it a tiny bit!

Isn't that a long term Boulevard , but it's what it looks like

to be the case as it shapes us !

And fellow ex-pats and citizens of Thailand , has not this building

by giving us those many shopping choices on this side of the mountain !

Saved thousands of barrels of gas from being burned up , by those trips

to the other side !

Yes, dear friends , Jongceylon Blvd.( need to use the abbreviation of Boulevard )

Where they literally paved Paradise and put up a Parking Lot !!!

Next door and underneath !

So , when your trying to tell someone where this place is behind Jongceylon and your about to say ,"you know that road behind it , that you don't know the name of"....instead say.....Say it....go on say it !

Jongceylon Blvd......because if the word spreads ,everyone , even your obit might say it !

and if the economy doesn't pick-up and businesses

open there and close , then we can call it "The Boulevard of Broken Dreams "

Pun, intended !

So don't let me down , lets do a poll or something.....remember , every great city needs a great Boulevard ....BB

post-35854-0-28904600-1297946478_thumb.j

Edited by LivinginKata

My address is Phangmueng sai kor , but that was the Road at my end , but it wasn't thru all the way, so that may be it . I've seen that name on google maps

and it doesn't sound like what the person, whom I know spoke ,when I inquired the name of him, he's a American who works on a Thai newspaper, speaks & reads & writes Thai......

I still think it should be called Jongceylon Blvd. Don't you?

Why not ?

My address is Phangmueng sai kor , but that was the Road at my end , but it wasn't thru all the way, so that may be it . I've seen that name on google maps

and it doesn't sound like what the person, whom I know spoke ,when I inquired the name of him, he's a American who works on a Thai newspaper, speaks & reads & writes Thai......

Why not ?

All my Thai friends call it (or at least the southern end) Soi Tan

Why not ?

Well, if you want to christen it with a new name, you should spell it right! That would be Jungceylon Blvd. with a U. I like it! Or why not just make it easier and call it JC Blvd? biggrin.gif

Why not ?

Well, if you want to christen it with a new name, you should spell it right! That would be Jungceylon Blvd. with a U. I like it! Or why not just make it easier and call it JC Blvd? biggrin.gif

If you really want to be picky, the real way to spell it isn't Jungceylon, but Junk Ceylon.

First mentioned in 157 AD by a Greek philosopher.

If you really want to be picky, the real way to spell it isn't Jungceylon, but Junk Ceylon.

Haha, okay... I'll need to brush up on my 2nd century Greek history then. But it wasn't Jonk Ceylon was it? And I guess then JC would still work! smile.gif

Are You talking bout the third road parallel to rat-u-thit and beach roads? Or are you talking about the one that goes up to the new Go Go area where the reverse bunjy/slingshot is? The latter I know as bourbon street, but I'm thinking you mean the former one, and yeah, I have no idea, I've always just called it "the road behind JungCeylon".

But why name it anything to do with JC? Surely we could come up with a better name, even Patong Blvd or New Blvd would be better ;)

I always thought of Soi Bangla as the boulevard of broken dreams. I have not been on the road behind JC for quite a while but imagined the whole road would be built the same as the bit on the southern end with the northern end being where the "tunnel" will emerge. Up until the late 90's Patong still had a chance to become a world class destination but the rampant greed put paid to that.

I just call it Third Road.

Me too.

Soi Tan is the name of the southern end

but as this is becoming (or already is) a Tanon (large road, not Soi), I guess it will be Tanon Tan when it completes.

What we see today is a road under construction/to be completed when funded, only completed in the older Soi Tan area, and we should all be happy to be allowed to use a road still not funded. Perhaps some of us should pay more taxes to complete the road :rolleyes:

and so far called Third road :)

BTW, Jungceylon has their own private roads leading from Third road to Rat U Tit 200 phi road

What we see today is a road under construction/to be completed when funded, only completed in the older Soi Tan area, and we should all be happy to be allowed to use a road still not funded. Perhaps some of us should pay more taxes to complete the road :rolleyes:

Very good point. Glass half full school of thinking.

If we were in the West, that road would be shut off at either end and all you sad sacks would be moaning, saying 'why can't we use the road in the condition it is now' and 'Bloody health and safety, stopping us using that road'.

I'd rather have that road at my disposal during rush hour, in the condition it's in, than not have it at all. As always, too many people don't know how good they have it.

The Other thread , used my name idea for the road behind Jongceylon , Jungceylon Blvd. in his topic , by doing that although I had posted my topic first ....

its title propelled it to almost 2x the amount of views this post has had.

I think a poll on the name would be a cool idea , but I think a Monitor...is that what you guys are called ?

well , someone from T-V should run it , IMHO

but keep it down to the 5 or 6 realistic ones , I'm sorry but the Tan or Tannon , nah , no ring to those names....like Bangla , bang who ?

Jungceylon , sorry I used o earlier , I wasn't wearing my reading glasses !

post-35854-0-98180200-1298204844_thumb.j

Why not ?

incorrect it wasn't called either back then

and junk / jung has been interchangeable in the past so why not now

just being picky

just being picky

I beg to differ:-

"Junk Ceylon was the first name of Phuket in its history. Historians have found the original name of Phuket on the maps of Portuguese sea merchant maps. There was an earlier mention of Junk Ceylon in a book written in the year of 157 AD. The book was written by a well known Greek philosopher. Cladius Ptolemy".

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-History-of-Phuket&id=311446

just being picky

I beg to differ:-

"Junk Ceylon was the first name of Phuket in its history. Historians have found the original name of Phuket on the maps of Portuguese sea merchant maps. There was an earlier mention of Junk Ceylon in a book written in the year of 157 AD. The book was written by a well known Greek philosopher. Cladius Ptolemy".

http://ezinearticles...huket&id=311446

You quote a very poor source.

You wouldn't have made such a bold assertion if you knew a bit more about Ptolemy's work and how its been copied / edited / translated over the years.

What makes you think any romanized word was the first or even one of the earlier names for phuket?

Though for the purposes of Thai Visa even the romanized ones differ both in spelling and meaning in various maps and ship logs

the 'junk ceylon' sound-a-likes (themselves not all having the same assumed meaning and not all just different approximations) include:

jan saylon, jong salang, jusalam, junsalan, juncaloan, junsalan, janselone, junsalaon,jonkseilon

its also been known as variants on luppoone, bukit and salang/jalang amongst others

BTW, Jungceylon has their own private roads leading from Third road to Rat U Tit 200 phi road

For those of us that are brave enough to walk it, we call it the "Gauntlet". The taxi/tuk tuk gang park there and you run the gauntlet as you try to make it in via the side entrance over the wooden footbridge.

Throughout its long history Phuket has always been a lure for peoples from beyond its shores. The earliest known mention of the island comes from the records of Ptolemy, a Greek geographer from the third century A.D. In his Geographia he mentions that when making a trip from Suwannapum to the Malay Peninsula it was necessary to pass the cape of Jang Si Lang. Jang Si Lang is often translated as 'Junk Ceylon' and it is by this name that Phuket is known on ancient maps of Thailand.

Source http://www.oaric2011.psu.ac.th/

Edited by FritsSikkink

an other option:

The name Phuket is derived from the Malay word bukit, meaning hill. The island was previously named Junk Ceylon on European charts, a corruption of the Malay Tanjung Salang meaning Cape Salang. Later it became known as Thalang, after the name of the main town on the island. The island did not come to be known as Phuket until quite late in its history when the administrative centre was moved to a mining town in the centre of the island called Phuket.

1 more and then i quit:

The name Phuket (of which the ph sound is an aspirated p) is apparently derived from the word bukit (Jawi: بوكيت) in Malay which means "hill", as this is what the island appears like from a distance. The region was formerly referred to as "Thalang," derived from the old Malay "Telong" (Jawi: تلوڠ) which means "Cape". The northern district of the province, which was the location of the old capital, still uses this name

Cal it whatever you like, but it seems the readership are intent on renaming the roads parallel to the beach with numbers, so that Nanai would become 4th and Hasip Pee would become 5th. I've never heard anyone call Taweewong '1st' - most people call it the 'Beach Road'. And I've never heard anyone call Ratuthit '2nd'. Speaking of which, most people call Ratuthit Songroi Pee merely Ratuthit, so it is probable that over time, Phang Muang and Tan will merge to becom Phang Muang Tan and will ultimately then become known merely as Phang Muang (being the longer part). Then again, if someone were to reference only the part at the south end, it may remain merely referenced as Tan.

But hang on. Boulevard? Perhaps, instead, we should opt for wording in Chinese or Malay in deference to many of the early settlers?

But then, 大通りmay be more appropriate given the situation in the forties, or even Бульвар in recognition of our new chums. Clearly, Thanon is highly inappropriate, being Thai and all...

Throughout its long history Phuket has always been a lure for peoples from beyond its shores. The earliest known mention of the island comes from the records of Ptolemy, a Greek geographer from the third century A.D. In his Geographia he mentions that when making a trip from Suwannapum to the Malay Peninsula it was necessary to pass the cape of Jang Si Lang. Jang Si Lang is often translated as 'Junk Ceylon' and it is by this name that Phuket is known on ancient maps of Thailand.

Source http://www.oaric2011.psu.ac.th/

Thankyou FritsSikkink.

Cal it whatever you like, but it seems the readership are intent on renaming the roads parallel to the beach with numbers, so that Nanai would become 4th and Hasip Pee would become 5th. I've never heard anyone call Taweewong '1st' - most people call it the 'Beach Road'. And I've never heard anyone call Ratuthit '2nd'. Speaking of which, most people call Ratuthit Songroi Pee merely Ratuthit, so it is probable that over time, Phang Muang and Tan will merge to becom Phang Muang Tan and will ultimately then become known merely as Phang Muang (being the longer part). Then again, if someone were to reference only the part at the south end, it may remain merely referenced as Tan.

But hang on. Boulevard? Perhaps, instead, we should opt for wording in Chinese or Malay in deference to many of the early settlers?

But then, 大通りmay be more appropriate given the situation in the forties, or even Бульвар in recognition of our new chums. Clearly, Thanon is highly inappropriate, being Thai and all...

excellent :)

why use the very Thai "Thanon", when there are even Russian options :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to the topic.... why not call it pothole blvd?

3 years ago it was just a mud track, and as this is the only road I use to get to Jungceylon/Carrefour (do not like driving around in Patong), I couldnt go with my 2008 Accord but had to go with my 4x4 truck

So why not wait for funding to complete the road and then name it, and in the meanwhile enjoy being allowed to use an incompleted road :)