My Predicament

cookstar

hello everyone, just want an opinion on my situation, please tell me what you think is the best way to approach this now, basically what happened was, i rented a truck from an add on the internet for a month when i came to thailand on boxing day, rented the car from an english fella, but the car is in his thai mrs name, got a proper rental agreement and everything,

2 days before i was meant to give the truck back, i parked it in wat chai temple (a lit car park with security guards) in south pattaya, when i got back to the car park after a night out, it was gone. no glass on the floor nothing, and the security would hardly acknowledge it had happened, despite my thai wife questioning them profusely about the fact we still had our ticket for the car park.

went to the police station to report it stolen along with the people we rented it from and all the police were interested in was how much money i could pay them for the car! after 2 days in the police station and being threatened by the rentee to pay the money i managed to pay them 50,000 baht and put my mrs mum and dads house up as a gaurentee i come back to pay them the value of the car at the end of april. when i rented the they told me it had full insurance, now they tell me it was only insured for them. i feel stuck because i think he's got the old bill in his pocket.

anyone that has got the number of a good english speaking brief would be very welcome. i'm quite sure that they probably had a gps in the truck and stole it themselves with the spare keys. but obviously i can't prove this.

thanks.

Did you check the whole car park? It's quite big and confusing, and I have 'lost' my car there before after a few beers :D

Seriously though, I would get someone to do a bit of surveillance on their house prior to you coming back. If they think you are not here until April, and they truly have the police onboard, then they will be rather nonchalent and probably using it on a daily basis, before hiding it somewhere just prior to your return.

Why did you hand over 50K? And do you mean "put my mrs mum and dads house up as a gaurentee"? You actually went to the land department and has these people put onto a Chanote as lenders?

Seems strange to give money over so hurriedly, what if the police found the car, were they going to give you 50K back...?

now they tell me it was only insured for them

Also this is quite strange. Normally in Thailand (at least with my car) the insurance is tied to the car itself...so it doesn't matter who's driving it. Maybe other can give more info on this, but it sounds like they are having you on (probably don't have any insurance, or just 3rd party)

Also this is quite strange. Normally in Thailand (at least with my car) the insurance is tied to the car itself...so it doesn't matter who's driving it. Maybe other can give more info on this, but it sounds like they are having you on (probably don't have any insurance, or just 3rd party)

Try Issan Lawyers in Korat he is a Canadian but he is supposed to be good.

Google Issan Lawyers

Good Luck

I have seen other threads here on TV about this, the insurance is for private use only and does not cover hiring it out, this would require a different policy. Anybody can drive your car and be covered by your insurance, but if they are paying you for the use of it then there is no cover. In my home country you also need to specify if the car is used for commercial use. In my business I used my car to go to jobs and had to pay a higher premium to be covered.

Sorry to say, but think you're nuts handing over anything, and especially that chanote, before seeing a lawyer. They shouldn't be renting out a private car, period, on that type of insurance even though it's only (?) insured for them. Defo a lawyer and also an investigator to watch them... how easy is it to track and use spare key! Hope it all works out, and go with a big company next time. ;)

Did you hire a car with an agreement that if it gets stolen you will pay the full value of the car? That was not a wise thing to do.

I have to agree, what did your agreement say about the car being stolen? I would also consider of the agreement says it's insured then a lawyer would be able to use that to reduce your liability. Let us know. And good luck!

That's what was going through my mind. Once PI and lawyer have been instructed and discovered something unlawful happening... then what? Obviously in a law abiding society, one could prosecute... but here? espiecially if the police have been involved in under the table activities. Biggest concern for me would be using gf's family house as security. Has that actually happened legally or just words? If it is legal, then i guess the OP wants to retrieve it... sounds to me like have gone over the edge of a very slippery slope. I wish I could be more constructive......... Good luck.

I think you should consider that you was lucky that you did not have a serious accident where somebody was seriously injured or killed, as your 'insurance' was null and void, and that would have been very costly and indeed 'time'. Sorry to be harsh, but you should have to reputable rental place. You could try going down the route that the fralang has not got a work permit to hire out the car.

I know of a similar case where their was an accident, and both the driver, and 'hirer' done time!!

First of all I'm sorry to hear about your situation

I really wouldn't bother hiring a private detective, used mainly buy paranoid customers of bars who have been sold the idea that their wife will return to her village and the relationship is exclusive..

cars get stolen a lot in thailand, its easy enough to get away with unlike many western countries.

Just do as the police say, I'm sure they are aware of your lack of awareness but just do as they say...

many companies will rent you a car, without even checking if you have a license, which you need! you need at least a intl driving license in order to be road legal.

And if they have just asked for your passport you can gtd that its not insured for you to drive...

In the eyes of the law this is your fault, and although its a grey area never rent a car unless your insured in Thailand.

Really thai law needs to be updated a little bit to suit us westerners..

You don't need a lawyer.

Tell them 6 words: Not insured? Then not my problem.

Keep a very tight hand on the signed rental agreement. It shows the car wasn't stolen by you.

Turn around, walk away. Lesson learned.

I expect now that people will warn you off by taking this advice, scaring you with tales that they've gained by reading their quota of Thai crime fiction novels, written by 'in the know' expats.

Having the 'police' in the pocket is an empty threat - designed to scare you. The people who have rented you the car are quite likely breaking a raft of laws in renting out the car in the first place.

And if it comes down to it, and the police do get involved, then simply outbid them. I highly doubt it will come to that.

I am not sure if this helps but my hubby ( thai ) owns a car leasing company . But he only does long term lease ( min. 2 years ) including driver . I just did a translation of his rental contract for him and it clearly states that the rental company is fully responsible for any damages / problems relating to the car and will provide a replacement vehicle within 24 hours. I will ask him about stolen cars tonight . But I am pretty sure that the rental company will also be responsible for it.

You don't need a lawyer.

Keep a very tight hand on the signed rental agreement. It shows the car wasn't stolen by you.

Sound advice, however if the OP has already done something stupid with the Chanote of his wife's parents house then it may be too late for this.

It always seems that people post on Thaivisa after already getting stuck neck deep into a situation.

You don't need a lawyer.

I expect now that people will warn you off by taking this advice, scaring you with tales that they've gained by reading their quota of Thai crime fiction novels, written by 'in the know' expats.

Having the 'police' in the pocket is an empty threat - designed to scare you. The people who have rented you the car are quite likely breaking a raft of laws in renting out the car in the first place.

And if it comes down to it, and the police do get involved, then simply outbid them. I highly doubt it will come to that.

Agree,

Firstly it sounds like the rental was illegal and they should have the motor insured for renting out to cover all loses, though there is usually a surcharge if you damage it.

Could just be a scam, they follow you on a bike and take the motor with the spare key. Look in the Police station car park first :D, but they could have stashed it at a family members place.

If it were genuinely stolen they would report it stolen and claim on the insurance that they were driving. .

What does the rental agreement say about insurance?

There are many individuals who rent out their vehicles and if there is an accident or theft they claim that the person renting the vehicle is in fact a friend and that no money has exchanged hands for the use of the vehicle.

If however they only have the vehicle insured for named drivers then there is a case for claiming that they rented the vehicle under false pretences.

May be one way out would be to negotiate with the owner and police and try and get a retrospective police report

Not knowing the situation, weather you were intimidated or not. But if you had a proper rental agreement? Why did you hand any amount of money over + put your in laws house up for surety. I feel for you, your plight, but can't help feeling that you have been scammed. Sorry

jb1

You don't need a lawyer.

There it is.

Good luck

Did you hire a car with an agreement that if it gets stolen you will pay the full value of the car? That was not a wise thing to do.

Just the sort of helpful advice the guy was looking for.

That is not advise it is a question, the whole scenario is incredible, I am just trying to see how incredible. Report to the police greeted with compensate the owner, actually compensating the owner, putting a house up as collateral for a car, it beggars belief.

"Fault" is tricky in Thailand. It seems that whatever becomes the easiest is what happens. My company leases my car, and it is insured. A few years back, a motorcyclist hit my car from behind as I was making a right hand turn. He was driving in the oncoming lane.

The evidence was clear that it was his fault. But when it turned out that not only didn't he have insurance, but he was unlicensed, I was cited with the cop telling my then-girlfriend that since I had insurance, the young man's bike could be fixed as he didn't have money to get it fixed himself.

I didn't want to accept that and took photos and such to prove I was right, but my insurance company told me not to sweat it as it was only 6,000 baht or so. So even the insurance company just went along with things to make it easier.

So whether the people who rented the car to the OP were at fault or not (and it seems as if they were) I doubt that anyone will care much when there is a deep pocket (the OP) to ante up payment.

ok back . Hubby sez that if legally rented then the car should have been fully insured ................. however in the instance of a lost car ( which he sez happens a lot , he sez both senarios are very possible, owners stealing the vehicle as well as a genuine theft ) , insurance will only reimburse 80 % of the cost of the car and renter pays for the rest .

ok back . Hubby sez that if legally rented then the car should have been fully insured ................. however in the instance of a lost car ( which he sez happens a lot , he sez both senarios are very possible, owners stealing the vehicle as well as a genuine theft ) , insurance will only reimburse 80 % of the cost of the car and renter pays for the rest .

I'm not sure we can trust anything he "sez"