Fitting Contact Lenses

Chestnut

Hello Everyone,

I hope someone knows, as I really have no idea!

I want to measure my eyes to find fitting contact lenses (that won't harm my eyes on the long run).

But... where to go?

A few years ago I had a proper fitting back in Germany and they took a lot of time to measure my eyes, test the lenses and then

measure again how good they fit on my eye. I left with the feeling having a good fitting lens and nothing to worry about.

I guess it would be the same procedure in America.

I tried to find such in Thailand but haven't been successful. Most opticians (like Top Charoen) didn't know what I am talking

about. Most people don't seem to worry about those things, but i do. :blink:

Anyone ever been to a proper fitting here? (similar to the fittings they have in Europe and America preferably, where you get all the data

you need for the contacts)

Where can I find it and how much is it (approx.)?

I highly appreciate any answer. :jap:

Nut

Hi Nut,

Sounds like you went to a bad branch of Top Charoen. I have worn contacts for about 20yrs now and had fittings done in both Australia, and Thailand. Maybe the technology has moved on since you last tried, but the Top Charoen shop I go to in Nakhon Sawan now has a space age machine that does it all in about 15 minutes. I don't know if the assistant is an optician, but when I renewed the last pair she said she would check the prescription. The machine tested me and revealed some small changes which were incorporated into the new prescription, which was made up and came back 4 days later. New lenses tried in the shop, no problems.

There are some varieties of Bausch and Lombe lenses that you can't get here,eg Pure Vision, and its useful to check the boxes against your prescription. But I've never had a problem. But if you think you might have eye problems go to an opthalmologist not the opticians.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the answer. I went to a few of those branches and they all said I should go to an Eyehospital.

I did go to a big Top Charoen Eyehospital but all they did is measure the eyesight and my BC. I think I need more

than one measurement to get good fitting contact lenses (and I have no idea what that BC is good for anyways).

I don't have any kind of prescription, so that's what I need.

Pity u live in Nakhon Sawan, so I can't go to your optician.

Any concrete place in Bangkok anyone?

Nut

Rutnin Eye Hospital (www.rutnin.com) on Asoke (just before the canal bridge near Petchabury Rd.) in Bangkok is a world class institution and will surely give you the services you need.

You can make an appointment or just show up. The wait will be longer if you do not have an appointment but not too bad.

Prices are very reasonable. I went there two years ago to check on some "floaters" I was experiencing. A full eye exam and a consultation with a US trained Ophthalmologist was B800.