Miguels Done By The Bib Last Night

bridge

I was at Miguels on Nimmanhaemin last night about 8.30pm. A police card pulled up, 4 BIB's jumped out and two immediately started taking photos of Miguels and the immediate surrounds, tables and customers etc. The other two were picking up glasses and smelling them. Within 5 minutes the BIB's left with a couple of empty glasses and jugs. They also took the manageress with them.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sooo sorry for Miguels, but it is the law.

I wish that would be all there is to it. In some cases yesterday, 'the law' seemed to rather deliberately look the other way. This even with beer drinking people spilling out of the bar/restaurant and into the street.

So I agree with you, but only when 'the law' is taken in the local meaning of the word, and not by the regular English definition. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

No sympathy on this.:coffee1:

Why not, because its the 'law is the law argument', and of course it is administered equally in Thailand isn't it.

Lets see. An owner of an establishment that is willing to gamble a 500,000 to 5 million baht investment Just to take in an extra 5,000 baht to satisfy the none investor or booze crowd. Yea that makes all the since in the world.:lol:

No sympathy on this.:coffee1:

Why not, because its the 'law is the law argument', and of course it is administered equally in Thailand isn't it.

Lets see. An owner of an establishment that is willing to gamble a 500,000 to 5 million baht investment Just to take in an extra 5,000 baht to satisfy the none investor or booze crowd. Yea that makes all the since in the world.:lol:

You make no since :D

Whilst i also have no sympathy, assuming it was the owner decision to take the risk. It must also be noted as previously posted that the law is administered 'selectively' by the BIB. There are plentyof Thai places which sell booze on such days and never seen them targetted. Why was M's targetted ?? Maybe a neighbor called it in? But also agree that its a big risk to take just for one day.

It amazes me even as new owners come into play and old owners move on how the only thing they can see is the ability to beat on their chest like Tarzan and scream, I was open yesterday and selling alcohol just to impress their so called friends.:ph34r:

It amazes me even as new owners come into play and old owners move on how the only thing they can see is the ability to beat on their chest like Tarzan and scream, I was open yesterday and selling alcohol just to impress their so called friends.:ph34r:

It's more than that. I for one remain loyal to a place that makes the effort; either openly through an 'arrangement', or by opening a back room. Those are special places. And I will make an effort to return also in less dark times.

Whilst i also have no sympathy, assuming it was the owner decision to take the risk. It must also be noted as previously posted that the law is administered 'selectively' by the BIB. There are plentyof Thai places which sell booze on such days and never seen them targetted. Why was M's targetted ?? Maybe a neighbor called it in? But also agree that its a big risk to take just for one day.

Yes selective law administration indeed..I saw plenty of Thai restaurants openly selling alcohol last night. All Thai bars and Kareokes closed though.

It's more than that. I for one remain loyal to a place that makes the effort; either openly through an 'arrangement', or by opening a back room. Those are special places. And I will make an effort to return also in less dark times.

I'm glade that you fell this way. :D To bad most don't.:annoyed: Oh BTW are you willing to chip in and pay the fine for the owner?

>>Lets see. An owner of an establishment that is willing to gamble a 500,000 to 5 million baht investment Just to take in an extra 5,000 baht to satisfy the none investor or booze crowd. Yea that makes all the since in the world

Down in Phuket anyway, the fine for this has been 10,000 baht, as someone told me that got pinched a few years ago.

Just supose >>>>.

What you are saying might be construed [if actually done] as aiding and abetting in an illegal act.

That in itself would be illegal.

This forum shuns on talking about illegalities and would probably close this thread

Oh I see now, you didn't say you would do this drink on the no-no days, but if you knew of a place that did, you would come back on a ok-ok day ant patronize that establishment , somewhat as a reward for being a law-breaker

hmmmmm

Life is not simple is it???

I saw an owner get busted for 50,000 baht for being open past closing hours. That cost him about half his customers. Two week later he got caught behind the bar working. That cost him 150,000 baht. That cost him what customers he had left. BTW that was Chiang Mai.

Donations can get to the point where it is hardly worth having the business - especially if you flaunt the rules, hence loss of face to Bib, leading to increased donations or worst case loss of licence or closure of business. Donations only go so far and do not make owners immune from 'other' rules.

Just supose >>>>.

What you are saying might be construed [if actually done] as aiding and abetting in an illegal act.

That in itself would be illegal.

This forum shuns on talking about illegalities and would probably close this thread

Oh I see now, you didn't say you would do this drink on the no-no days, but if you knew of a place that did, you would come back on a ok-ok day ant patronize that establishment , somewhat as a reward for being a law-breaker

hmmmmm

Life is not simple is it???

Depends on how complicated one wants to make it. ;)

As much as I love illegal acts, I do struggle to find it one on the part of the customer in this particular case.. But if it is then that'd make a great headline: "In Thailand, it's possible to break the law by walking into a bar and having a beer." :thumbsup:

Nah, I think I'll stick to the more traditional illegal acts. :)

I don't get it. It's one day. Really people can't drink for one day, that some bars try to stay open? Or is it that they assume they will get away with it.

Selective or not, why take the risk is the point? If they were close, another bar would have got done. Simple.

Even trying to sneak through 'back doors', why? It's one frikin day.

I think you'll find that Miguel's Express is a franchise set up and operated by a local, not an expat so there's little to support the idea of selective enforcement of the law. I'm pretty sure, however, that the management of the Franchisor will be taking a dim view of the events of last night and pointing out the clause in their agreement relating to bringing the brand into disrepute. I would be.

as far as i can see there are opinion upon opinion about if ones willpower should be strong enough to last a day without alcohol or if the law is the law.

the only significant point is, as i see it, that when a law is not applied evenly by those charged with enforcing the law then it isn't law it is a gamble. (isn't that illegal too)

I wish I got a quarter for everything that's illegal in Thailand but selectively enforced. :thumbsup:

It's nothing to do with will power or not managing to go without; Chiang Mai is a tourist destination. Tourists may on occasion eat Tex-Mex food. They would often like a beer with that.

This, apparently, is enough to bring out the 'hang 'em high' crowd. The point is highlighting a silly practise. Both in concept and in the way it's enforced.

When Malaysia feels like coming up with ludicrous religious laws, at least they have the good sense to impose them only on followers of that religion. Not all Thais are Buddhists, most tourists aren't Buddhists either. They like a beer with their fajita. Or at the VERY least, don't expect to experience a police raid, with cops putting their snouts in their drinks to sniff for any alcohol.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I don't get it. It's one day. Really people can't drink for one day, that some bars try to stay open? Or is it that they assume they will get away with it.

Selective or not, why take the risk is the point? If they were close, another bar would have got done. Simple.

Even trying to sneak through 'back doors', why? It's one frikin day.

it is certainly not 'just one day'. you obviously don't live in Chiang Mai. It happens a number of days a year on Buddhist holdays and Royal Birthdays and this year being an election year we stand to lose two whole weekends business. Let's hope Mr. Suthep is correct in stating that the election will be in June - the depths of the low season. No-one tells our landlady that we don't have to pay rent for the days we don't earn any money. no-one tells the electric company not to charge us for the electricity that runs our freezers which have to be left on even if we close. And most particularly what about our staff? Are we supposed to tell them to go and get their lost wages back from the government? Fat chance! Or do you propose that we pay them even if we don't earn any money? It's not about customers doing without drink for 'just one day' (Although if you're on a 2 week holiday you're likely to be pretty miffed at having to stay in your hotel room for the evening.) It's about small businesses struggling already under the weight of the strong baht and political turmoil, trying to make ends meet.

You should rethink your comment!