House Sitting

MamaSan

Anybody know how I'd go about finding someone who needs their house looked after for a few months (rather than leave it to "the elements...)? Seems there'd be a call for it - looking after the garden, swimming pool, etc - but don't know where to start.

Yeh the phuket gazette, phuket post, cards in Deli's, other forums, but i don't know where your from but do people really trust you with one of there biggest asset. i'm sure in the some countries like the US it'll be the cool thing to do but here on phuket i can't see it happening. do you want a motor bike, car and my wife in with the home sitting deal. Sorry to be a bit cynical, but let a total stranger look after something i own, yeh right!!!!!, what do you give a collateral, a financial safe guard in case the experience or house sitting deal goes pear shape, do you have references, some sort of prior experience in all matters relating to house maintenance. i'm sure if it's a private deal it would never flash up, but to safe guard myself i'd want to register it with someone, then that becomes official work, which needs a work permit, how long have you held a work permit in Thailand for. I suspect never!!!!, if you do manage to get a house sitting gig, i applaud you, but in the words of that song "there may be trouble ahead"

Yeh the phuket gazette, phuket post, cards in Deli's, other forums, but i don't know where your from but do people really trust you with one of there biggest asset. i'm sure in the some countries like the US it'll be the cool thing to do but here on phuket i can't see it happening. do you want a motor bike, car and my wife in with the home sitting deal. Sorry to be a bit cynical, but let a total stranger look after something i own, yeh right!!!!!, what do you give a collateral, a financial safe guard in case the experience or house sitting deal goes pear shape, do you have references, some sort of prior experience in all matters relating to house maintenance. i'm sure if it's a private deal it would never flash up, but to safe guard myself i'd want to register it with someone, then that becomes official work, which needs a work permit, how long have you held a work permit in Thailand for. I suspect never!!!!, if you do manage to get a house sitting gig, i applaud you, but in the words of that song "there may be trouble ahead"

I refrained from replying as I have filled my quota of negativity on here today, but I was going to say the exact same.

Another free loader, looking for something for nothing. No one will be interested. People can pay profesional companies to do all thoise things for very little cost, so what advantage is their getting a total stranger to do it instead.

I refrained from replying as I have filled my quota of negativity on here today, but I was going to say the exact same.

Another free loader, looking for something for nothing. No one will be interested. People can pay profesional companies to do all thoise things for very little cost, so what advantage is their getting a total stranger to do it instead.

What is the difference between a professioanl company and a "stranger?" The employees of the professional company are strangers, and, not meant in a racist way, but also Thai. I'm sure they have supplied information in the past that has assisted in break and enters, for a cut of the proceeds. Why pay a professional company if someone will do it full time, and for free?

There are many semi and fully furnished houses and apartments for rent on the island. What's the difference???? Some stranger will rent your place through a real estate agent - many have no problem with that. In fact, it's very common. Sure, you can get a few baht rent, but, who is going to sign a 1 month lease? You could always demand a bond and hand it back when you return and see the place in good order.

What about guest houses, hotels, hostels, bungalows, villas etc etc - they all have strangers in them. I'm sure the OP doesn't expect to see jewellery, wallets, purses, credit cards etc laying around. I'm sure the OP would be happy to show his passport, CV, refferences etc etc. What can he do, put your house in his suitcase and take it home with him????

If you had to vacate your house/apartment for a while, you would have to pay for storage etc. What about pets????

I think there may be some people that would be happy with the OP's proposal. House swapping for holidays is already happening in other countries.

The interesting point is, would you need a work permit? The chances of getting caught would be zero, but, you are earning a financial reward in the form of free accommodation.

I rent here, but if an expat had to return home in order to qualify for the pension, have an operation, work or family issues etc etc - I would be happy to help out and mind their place and not pay rent for a while.

Edited by NamKangMan

Thank you NamKangMan. Happy to see not all have gone the way of abject cynicism. Your allusion to honesty is most appreciated.

I wasn't automatically assuming you were dishonest. I was automatically assuming you are a stranger, and I wouldn't want you looking after my house for me. There would be a huge amount more in it for you than there would me. I may be wrong but I think most people would agree. Good luck with it though. There's nothing as tasty as a free lunch!

Thank you NamKangMan. Happy to see not all have gone the way of abject cynicism. Your allusion to honesty is most appreciated.

Seems obvious to me that anyone even considering your services would require comprehensive references and a lot of personal information from you. Anyway, best of luck.

I see something like this pop up about once a year in the gazette classifieds. Not sure if it's yachties wanting to hunker down during the monsoon season, but it seems to be an annual cyclical posting from members that are new to the forum looking for a place., Most expats would either have family tend to their affiars while they are gone, or live in some sort of estate where there is gardening and security.

Sure - as I would of them. My offer was intended an alternative to "property management services" which are generally Thai with less awareness of farang standards of maintenance. The deal works both ways - understood.

Thanks for expressing frank concerns. Peace of mind and trust are unusual but welcome options, no?

If you're fishing for places, it might help if you post a pseudo CV explaining your experience, and then have a bunch of references available. As it is now, there is no history of you or what you have done related to Phuket, or to taking care of someone's estate. Just food for thought.

Looking up the term "house sitting" on google, there seems to be quite a bit of people that do this for a living and have a full background history, so if I was to engage a housesitter, I would be comparing you to these people. http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=house+sitting&btnG=Search

The concept of minding someones house when it is vacant for whatever reason is not exactly alien. There are quite a few agencies designed to match sitters with house owners in Australia for instance. I'm sure there are similar schemes in other western countries.

The negativity shown here by some of the usual suspects is not unexpected, but the idea works pretty well for all parties in the majority of cases. People are vetted and interviewed before keys are handed over to them, and I'm sure an individual selected would be just as reliable as some local gardener, security guard or similar.

The technical concept of a work permit would be easily circumvented by a simple rental contract between the parties. People do rent out their vacant houses all the time without all the dire predictions, mentioned above, happening.

And it's obviously cheaper, and in my opinion safer, than hiring a profesional company who are not on the site 24/7.

examples:

aussiehousesitters

house sitters

housesitteraustralia

Edited by Old Croc

Why even a rental contract or work permit required? Who's to say it's not a "friend" watching your house while you're away? Since when is that illegal or considered work? And moreover how would anyone prove otherwise or even waste time trying :blink: ...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Why even a rental contract or work permit required? Who's to say it's not a "friend" watching your house while you're away? Since when is that illegal or considered work? And moreover how would anyone prove otherwise or even waste time trying :blink: ...

I have never worked here, so, don't know much about the subject. I have heard that, for example, you are allowed to clean your OWN pool or do your OWN garden, but not anybody else's pool or garden. Same with fixing cars and motorbikes. You can do your own, but not anybody else's - whether they are friends, or not. I have also then heard that if, for example, you are a painter by trade, you are not allowed to paint your own house, so, I really have no idea what you can, and can't do.

In small beer bars, it amazes me to see young Thai bar girls struggling to lift heavy tables and bar stools back into the bar, at closing time, or boxes of beer when they are delivered and the farang owner, and/or myself, are not allowed to help them because it's considered "work" and we do not have a work permit. I've apologised many times to them for not "helping out" but explained to them I could get into a lot of trouble for "working" without a permit. Chances of getting caught are slim, but still, it's a risk.

I would be happy to hear the official version from anyone on TV who may know exactly, what you can, and can't do, to your own property (cars, house, pool, garden, bike etc) and what you can, and can't do, to help out "friends and relatives" with even a once off minor task. Eg. Can I pick up my friend/relative/wife/girlfriend from the airport, or is that considered that I am working as a taxi?

Don't think you'll get a clear answer to the general question, simply because what is work and what isn't is very unclear on the boundery line.

Housesitting is easy imo: all chores etc would be considered work, maybe even the presence of the housesitter would be considered work.

Don't think you'll get a clear answer to the general question, simply because what is work and what isn't is very unclear on the boundery line.

Housesitting is easy imo: all chores etc would be considered work, maybe even the presence of the housesitter would be considered work.

I think your first sentence is applicable and therefore no matter what the circumstances you could be as the Brits say "stitched up" depending on who gives a dam_n or who has you in their sights at a given moment, you just have to go with the flow and stay under the radar AMAP it can be used against you at any point regardless...

What is the difference between a professioanl company and a "stranger?" The employees of the professional company are strangers, and, not meant in a racist way, but also Thai. I'm sure they have supplied information in the past that has assisted in break and enters, for a cut of the proceeds. Why pay a professional company if someone will do it full time, and for free?

Erm reputation and comeback !! If someone is a company then you can hear on the grapevine if they do a good job, if they are reputable and reliable, something no random 'sitter' can provide. They know how to maintain things, where to get the items required, how the pools will work, have the gardening tools, etc etc etc.

Secondly as pointed out this falls into the realm of working and hence only works in a highly unofficial way.. Once you start advertising and having references you are then as above doing a service and need the company, thai staff and work permit.

Lastly most who have set up a home, would have some contact to provide this near free.. I am sure one of the wifes young cousins would be on call to take the bus from the baan, feed the dog, and follow orders on pool etc. So full trustable family contact for the price of a bus ticket. Knowing Thai families and what many expats put into them I doubt this is unusual.

Your points about trustworthy family and the company staff knowing how to properly maintain the premises especially the pool are both arguable though.. And I don't think he was requesting any compensation either, rather an exchange.. On the flip side though it's also arguable whether or not the average house sitter knows how to do these things properly as well that's what references are for..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Erm reputation and comeback !! If someone is a company then you can hear on the grapevine if they do a good job, if they are reputable and reliable, something no random 'sitter' can provide. They know how to maintain things, where to get the items required, how the pools will work, have the gardening tools, etc etc etc.

Secondly as pointed out this falls into the realm of working and hence only works in a highly unofficial way.. Once you start advertising and having references you are then as above doing a service and need the company, thai staff and work permit.

Lastly most who have set up a home, would have some contact to provide this near free.. I am sure one of the wifes young cousins would be on call to take the bus from the baan, feed the dog, and follow orders on pool etc. So full trustable family contact for the price of a bus ticket. Knowing Thai families and what many expats put into them I doubt this is unusual.

Thai cousin: "Sorry Khun LOS. When you go home, mama have motorbike accident in Issarn. I have to sell your big flat TV to pay for doctor. What I can do?" (sob sob) :)

Khun LOS: "But how you can get money for go Hollywood and Seduction disco every night me away?" :)

Thai cousin: "My friend pay for me." :)

Seriously though, you would be hard pressed to deny that some of the staff in these companies do not provide intelligence to crininals for the purpose of breaking and entering your house in the future (of course, not while the company is looking after it).

Edited by NamKangMan

Thai cousin: "Sorry Khun LOS. When you go home, mama have motorbike accident in Issarn. I have to sell your big flat TV to pay for doctor. What I can do?" (sob sob) :)

Khun LOS: "But how you can get money for go Hollywood and Seduction disco every night me away?" :)

Thai cousin: "My friend pay for me." :)

If thats your family thats your problem..

Seriously though, you would be hard pressed to deny that some of the staff in these companies do not provide intelligence to crininals for the purpose of breaking and entering your house in the future (of course, not while the company is looking after it).

I am sure it has happened.. Like I am also sure house sitters have cleaned out a place, or damaged things and fled.

Personally I would allow a company to handle my pool and garden, not have access to the house.. A mate can pop by once in a while and check on anything internal if you dont have family who can be live in security guards.. All of that could be achieved for a few 1000b a month.

The house should ideally be secure and alarmed anyway. A small investment in security goes a long way in peace of mind if your going to be away a lot.

I'd like to ask the OP why are they looking for somewhere to house sit, i'm sure the answer will be it's the cheapest way to get accommodation and not they have a fetish for caring for property. i'm personally looking to big bike sit, mind i don't have a clue regarding them, it can't be that hard, twist and go, nothing smaller then a 1000cc, it is and does sound totally crazy but thats what the OP is in essence asking.

OK, stop being so vague, give us the reason why you asked the original question, if it was just a general observation that you where asking about, then whats the harm in that, but your coming back a bit defensive which means your not fully aware of the implication and problems of the thing you have asked about, please be a bit more open and say why you wish to house sit and the situation that has lead you to this choice of life style. PS i've had no takers for the big bike sitting, damm!!!

Interesting projection here. It assumes I neither own a home currently nor have I ever owned one - both untrue. Good luck with your big bike! B)

I think the OP original question was just that, a question on house sitting, but i agree the OP would be better given a bit of back ground to how they have arrived at the idea of house sitting, i'm sure a house would be perfectly fine to the elements for a month or two over the wear and tair of a house sitter.

OK, stop being so vague, give us the reason why you asked the original question, if it was just a general observation that you where asking about, then whats the harm in that, but your coming back a bit defensive which means your not fully aware of the implication and problems of the thing you have asked about, please be a bit more open and say why you wish to house sit and the situation that has lead you to this choice of life style. PS i've had no takers for the big bike sitting, damm!!!

Interesting projection here. It assumes I neither own a home currently nor have I ever owned one - both untrue. Good luck with your big bike! B)

Seems obvious to me that anyone even considering your services would require comprehensive references and a lot of personal information from you. Anyway, best of luck.

Agree.

Simply better to make sure your own house insurance is in order AND a management company is in place that has liability insurance.

Erroneous assumptions abound! I have no intention of selling my place and housesitting “for a living” or to create a new “lifestyle.” A dear old friend is struggling and is in need of emotional support KraTu. Ok, ok – got any good guesthouse recommendations?