International Driving Licence For The Uk?

Godders

I am a British guy ordinarily resident in Thailand. My UK driving licence ran out some time ago and I did not renew it. I have a five year Thai driving licence, which I understood would be recognised by the police, etc if I hired a car in the UK for my upcoming holiday there. However, a rental firm I contacted says they would need an international driving licence. I wondered whether I could obtain one here on the strength of my Thai driving licence?

Another blow: the rental company I spoke to charges an extra 12 pounds a day for drivers over 65 (that's me!). Is this standard practice now in the UK now or should I shop around? If it is , we wrinklies should start campaigning, because all the research I have seen cites very YOUNG drivers as the most accident prone.

How old are you?

The Counterpart Driving Licence is valid until you are 70.

It is only the Photocard that expires every 10 years.

If you know the number renewal is very straight forward, but you do need a UK address.

For use in other countries you can apply for a UK IDP by post.

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

Technically, you don't need the IDP to drive in the UK; your Thai license will do. But many rental firms in various countries will not rent a car to you unless you have one.

OMG so that means that Thais can go to the UK and start driving?Sorry. :o

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

yes you can use the Thai Licence in the UK with an IDP, and also the best thing is you cannot get points on your UK licence !

If driving on a foreign licence, any breaking of uk driving laws will result in a court appearance and not dealt with by fixed penalty, if the court knows you have a uk driving record, that will have points added.

How old are you?

The Counterpart Driving Licence is valid until you are 70.

It is only the Photocard that expires every 10 years.

If you know the number renewal is very straight forward, but you do need a UK address.

For use in other countries you can apply for a UK IDP by post.

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

and after 70 yrs of age your licence is renewed in 5 year incriments.

1. I assume for those no longer having a UK address, but still holding a UK DL valid until 70yo, the UK lic is invalidated and the only option is to get a Thai 5 yr DL with an IDP?

2. Does using a car rental from Heathrow introduce any additional costs/ support docs when using Thai DL/IDP Vs UK DL? When I was at Thrifty the queues seemed to be never ending of people asked to show multiplr utility bills, whereas I was asked for none with the UK DL.

Edited by Digitalbanana