Thai Police Probe Mysterious Death Of British Couple In Chiang Mai

webfact

Thai police probe death of Lincolnshire couple

Thai police are investigating the deaths of a retired British couple who were on holiday in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai.

George and Eileen Everitt, from Boston, Lincolnshire, died on 19 February, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said.

It is not known how they died; police said there was no sign of violence.

A spokesperson from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We are in touch with the family and are helping them through this very difficult time".

Thai police told the BBC that the couple was found dead in their room at the DownTown Inn, where they had checked in on 9 February.

Eileen Everitt, 74 years old, was found lying on the bed, while George Everitt, 78, was in a sitting position on the floor, with his face falling forward onto the bed.

Police said no drugs, medicine or poison were found in the room.

Nor was there any evidence of violence or fighting in the room or any wound on their bodies.

The bodies are being kept at Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital for post-mortem examination.

The police have reached no conclusion yet on why or how the couple died.

Source: http://www.wirednews.us/news.php/132780-Thai-police-probe-death-of-Lincolnshire-couple

-- ukwirednews.us 2011-02-23

footer_n.gif

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a strange one, to say the least. RIP to them both, and condolences to their families, but reasons and rationale totally escape me. The wife die of a possible heart attack and the husband, overcome with grief (combined with stress??) died of a "broken heart", or his own heart attack over her loss?

I hope there is a follow up to this story that resolves how they died. Tragic, whatever the consequences.

RIP and condolences to the family.

I would imagine an autopsy would shed some light on this. Presumably the bodies will be sent to Bangkok and this will be carried out ?

Pure speculation but as already mentioned suicide cannot be ruled out until an autopsy is carried out. Thailand is on the map for those wishing to end their lives due to the high availability of nembutal.

Very sad. I know we can speculate on a million causes but it reminds me of a case when I was visiting Darjeeling years ago and that was caused by using a coal heater in a room with crap ventilation and carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death. Wouldn't expect it to be cold now in February even in Chiang Mai but could be aircon or something such as cooking with stove in their room with bad ventilation. These MSR multi fuel stoves are great but can be bad news indoors.

Based on my education, I would sumise that this poor couple died of CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING..... it would fit every piece of this seemingly unidentifiable puzzle. Carbon monoxide is odourless, slow acting ,and has the efect of putting people into a sleep followed by coma, then death. Perhaps the police should concentrate on items removed and professional/business interests and monetary gains by possible competitors. RIP to these poor people.

Based on my education, I would sumise that this poor couple died of CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING..... it would fit every piece of this seemingly unidentifiable puzzle. Carbon monoxide is odourless, slow acting ,and has the efect of putting people into a sleep followed by coma, then death. Perhaps the police should concentrate on items removed and professional/business interests and monetary gains by possible competitors. RIP to these poor people.

Glad you agree with me on this as it makes the most sense but we will see unless it gets buried in the information black hole

This is very unfortunate. Also very strange, maybe food related???

Sincere condolences to their families

Google "MSG deaths", and you'll find a half million results. The first I heard of death by MSG (monosodium glutamate) was a couple of old men in NYC who had gone to a Chinese restaurant and mistakenly thought the MSG shaker was salt - and that was 40 years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if MSG affects elderly more than the younger - particularly those (like the Brit couple) who weren't used to using the awful stuff.

Methinks if was suicide, there would have been a note.

Regardless, sad story. RIP (somewhere away from an Asian chef).

Will it be like all the other cases ? dropped investigation and pretend it was suicide ? So many foreigners die in Thailand but rarely seen anyone being arrested of trialed. :angry: :angry:

Why should they make it up to satisfy your whim when the truth prevails. There is no evidence either way.

Glad you agree with me on this as it makes the most sense but we will see unless it gets buried in the information black hole

Of course this make sense, but providing 'monetary gains' also includes investigating authorities who may 'benefit' from shutting up, or simply inventing 'evidence'.

I've stayed at Downtown Inn a few times - don't recall anything there that would provide the carbon monoxide to kill anything.

No gas heaters & no chance of parking the car in the room.

Possibly they've just had their time.

Of course this make sense, but providing 'monetary gains' also includes investigating authorities who may 'benefit' from shutting up, or simply inventing 'evidence'.

How does this make sense? CO2 in their rooms? thailand doesnt have the same issues with heaters killing people from CO2 as they do in the US. There is no CO2 producing equipment in the rooms. It make more sense that the woman died in bed and them the man decided to drop his body. Doesnt it get tiring from comments by those continuously complaining about thailand and its ways. Just go home and be quiet. It makes the forum so boring to read even when there is something interesting on here. perhaps the forum should be split up into 2 parts. the jokers and complainers - and the positive contributors. in the real world thats usually the kind of people who hang out with each other.

Edited by najman

One death is probably natural causes, two simultaneous deaths is stretching it. Food poisoning has advance symptoms, nausea, vomiting, etc, sufficient to make someone use the house phone. Suicide pact, then no note, no provision for disposal of bodies. Past medical records, wills etc might hold a clue. Did they have a return ticket? How much money did they bring, how much was in the room? There is no such thing as a death without clues.

How does this make sense? CO2 in their rooms? thailand doesnt have the same issues with heaters killing people from CO2 as they do in the US. There is no CO2 producing equipment in the rooms. It make more sense that the woman died in bed and them the man decided to drop his body. Doesnt it get tiring from comments by those continuously complaining about thailand and its ways. Just go home and be quiet. It makes the forum so boring to read even when there is something interesting on here. perhaps the forum should be split up into 2 parts. the jokers and complainers - and the positive contributors. in the real world thats usually the kind of people who hang out with each other.

Just to be pedantic he's talking about carbon monoxide (CO) not carbon dioxide (CO2) - Chemistry lesson over.

One death is probably natural causes, two simultaneous deaths is stretching it.

They're both old. Wife dies, husband finds her body and has a heart attack. Not that strange, not saying that's what happened though.

RIP

You would think that suicide would be the likely outcome on the info available. Perhaps one or both were ill and wanted out.

Police say----- no drugs,medicines,or poisons were found------- think that rules out suicide. There were no wounds or blood and no evidence of fighting---I cannot think of a logical answer------will have to wait for the autopsy------RIP to both of you

Edited by Maestro
Changed Comic font to default for easier reading.

suicide comes to mind.

but they should do post mortem asap, now is at least 3 days afted they died - the sooner they know facts the sooner the police can do their job (if necessary)

You gotta be joking !! when have they ever done their job. Rarely and then only if thera was a buck to be made.