Customs & Musical Instruments

dickyknee

ok, i arrived in Chiang Mai yesterday with my suitcase and a cardboard box with a 3 octave synthesiser safely packed inside. I purchased it second hand in Australia a couple of months back and planned to bring it back home to Chiang Mai with me.

Customs stopped me, got me to open the box said it's in such good condition that it must be new and I have to pay import duty on it. i showed them the receipts that said it was second hand (luckily when i purchased it the guy gave me all the paperwork including the original receipts with his name on it).

anyways, the official said i can bring it into thailand without paying any duty so long as i take it with me when i leave. He took a photocopy of my passport, and got me to sign on the photocopy saying that i would do exactly that.

now, since it was not really my intention to take it back to Australia in the short term, I'm not sure where I stand.

1) Do I have to pay import duty on second hand musical instruments?

2) if so, how much is the import duty on second hand musical instruments?

3) Because the official let me through without filling out any official documentation, I have a feeling that photocopy is going to land in round filing cabinet next to his desk. should i even worry about it?

Edited by dickyknee

Just wanted to let you know that a Synthasiser is NOT a musical instrument. It is an electronic piece of equipment. Your lucky you didn't pay because electronics are always taxed for bringing into Thailand. Yes agree with gotlost don't even look back. If they ever did (which they won't) ask you when leaving "where is that synthisiser you brung into LOS?" You would just simply say "the police bought it off me."

Just wanted to let you know that a Synthasiser is NOT a musical instrument. It is an electronic piece of equipment. Your lucky you didn't pay because electronics are always taxed for bringing into Thailand. Yes agree with gotlost don't even look back. If they ever did (which they won't) ask you when leaving "where is that synthisiser you brung into LOS?" You would just simply say "the police bought it off me."

Yeah i was under the impression, since the guy didn't take any details about it (make, model, serial number), that i got it through and need not look back...

but i now expect to encounter this situation again since i have a one more i was planning to bring up in the future (this one is about 30 years old but much bigger), so I want to know where I stand.

now, i'm confused about the classification of it, a synthesizer not being a musical instrument, does that mean there is no customs duty classification for musical instruments, or just some instruments? is the customs duty the same for musical instruments and electronics? what is the duty on the two? does it even matter if the gear is old or new, can they still slap me with an import duty?

cheers.

" It broke and was no good so I threw it away " !

Just how are they going to prove otherwise ?

Also as they didn't take any details then it was simply the customs officer trying to get out of a situation without losing face. Don't worry about it :D

" It broke and was no good so I threw it away " !

Just how are they going to prove otherwise ?

Also as they didn't take any details then it was simply the customs officer trying to get out of a situation without losing face. Don't worry about it :D

They don't have to prove otherwise. The instrument was granted a temporary import without tax on the condition that it is taken out of Thailand again when you leave, in the same way you can drive in a car from a neighbouring country. If you don't re-export the instrument you are liable for the tax.

But agree that the officer probably didn't bother registrering anything about the import, but are you willing to take the risk.

Basically, anything you import into Thailand whether new or second hand are taxable, unless you qualify for tax free import (returning Thai citizen or moving to work in Thailand). What the tax is and whether they bother charging it depends on the item and the officer.

Sophon

Yeah i was under the impression, since the guy didn't take any details about it (make, model, serial number), that i got it through and need not look back...

but i now expect to encounter this situation again since i have a one more i was planning to bring up in the future (this one is about 30 years old but much bigger), so I want to know where I stand.

now, i'm confused about the classification of it, a synthesizer not being a musical instrument, does that mean there is no customs duty classification for musical instruments, or just some instruments? is the customs duty the same for musical instruments and electronics? what is the duty on the two? does it even matter if the gear is old or new, can they still slap me with an import duty?

cheers.

Electronics to be imported into Thailand are things such as TV's, Microwaves, Stereos, Amplfiers, Pa systems etc.

These are taxed in different rates and can be up to 700% sometimes. You can always visit a "Customs Broker" upstairs in the airports and get a list of these.

Things such a laptops etc are not considered taxable however under the law they are and this is why you should always carry a recipt for a notebook etc. It is up to the discression of the Customs officer but it's not rocket scientry that notebooks are like watches these days and everyone has one

There is a certain way of bringing these in and that is you get a note from a Thai friend (maybe a musician or a bar owner) saying you are bringing him a gift and he would put in the letter his phone number and adress etc and the model/serial no. of your amp and then its no problems.

• 2 months later...

hmmm, this is all a little confusing.

I will be moving to Thailand in August on a one year "B" non-immigrant working visa, I was planning on taking my laptop with a small USB keyboard and a small groove machine synthisizer (Yamaha DX200) and possibly a newly purchased second synth (Dave Smith Morpho) to compose on while I am in LOS. This will all fit in my hand luggae if need be! Will I get stopped at immigration for this and be taxed or will my working visa let me bring in these instruments. I will be arriving in Bangkok.

Would really like to know the answer to this so I can plan ahead.

Many thanks

hmmm, this is all a little confusing.

I will be moving to Thailand in August on a one year "B" non-immigrant working visa, I was planning on taking my laptop with a small USB keyboard and a small groove machine synthisizer (Yamaha DX200) and possibly a newly purchased second synth (Dave Smith Morpho) to compose on while I am in LOS. This will all fit in my hand luggae if need be! Will I get stopped at immigration for this and be taxed or will my working visa let me bring in these instruments. I will be arriving in Bangkok.

Would really like to know the answer to this so I can plan ahead.

Many thanks

You can bring in personal effects in tax free on a WP....FYI a Non-imm B is not a working visa..its a visa which allows you into Thailand for business purposes, only a WP lets you work which is a separate document

After moving here over 10 years ago, I can not even remember how many keyboards that I have brought in for both myself and friends... Only been stopped / questioned twice, and both times just said that they were for me to practice on / for my personal use... Never had a problem or any followup by Customs at all... Just stick with the "Used" and for "Personal Use"... And you should not have any problem...

Pianoman

You can bring in personal effects in tax free on a WP....FYI a Non-imm B is not a working visa..its a visa which allows you into Thailand for business purposes, only a WP lets you work which is a separate document

Hmmmm, thanks very much... i need to look into this visa situation.

Thanks for the info about synths, i'll take them with me and not worry till i get there!

Hmmmm, thanks very much... i need to look into this visa situation.

plenty of discussions of TV...use the search function, but bottom line is a Non-imm B is not a work visa, only a WP lets you work.