Anti-Persperspirant Deodorant

corkman

Try "Rexona". It has the same "tick" or "check" symbol on the front as "Sure" in western countries - logo like Nike but white coloured.A few years back they added underneath that it was "for women", but never brought out a male version as far as I could see, and didn't change the composition. So if you're man enough not to be worried about anti-perspirant deoderant which says its for women, it could be the one for you :)

Couldn't care less about the "for women" thing - in the past I have borrowed the Mrs. in the morning when I have run out...... :lol:

But generally, for ongoing use, as long as it doesn't smell especially feminine then I;ve no probs with it!

Of the locally available products, I find the Gillette gel to be the best. Pricey, though.

Seems the Gillette gel has disappeared from most stores. Have you been able to find some recently?

TH

Not looked, to be honest. Not needed to for a couple of months.

• 6 months later...

I found the Thai deodorants/anti-perspirants to be fairly useless and continued to order products from the U.S. Even they didn't work too well in the heat of Thailand. Then a friend told me about how you can have botox injected just under the skin of your armpit area to basically kill off the sweat glands. It only lasts for about 6 months, unfortunately, but life is good during those six months. You still need to use a deodorant, but not an anti-perspirant. Now the Thai deodorants work just fine for me and are cheaper and easier on the skin than the U.S. industrial-strength anti-perspirants.

Botox treatments are fairly cheap here.

Do you have any more info on botox injections in the armpits? I can't be bothered sweating buckets of water everyday and I'm sick of ruining my tailor-made business shirts (yellow marks caused by the mineral components of the anti-perspirants). Is there any good value for money clinic around?

Hell, just make your own from a 50/50 mix of baking soda and cornstarch, dirt cheap. Google for it; works very well. If you've gotta work, also wear an undershirt. Sorted.

Thanks but I'd say I'm not really in favour of 'homebrew' solutions. And regarding the undershirt, I treat it the same way than white socks: a fashion disaster. It's extremely unsightly and adds an unnecessary second layer.

I'm more suprised that some have smelly feet here in Thailand! :blink:

Back in the UK I was always concerned about smelly feet - but that was 'cos they were contained in stockings and shoes.

Here, they are always un-contained, so there's not a problem as they don't sweat. A couple of showers a day is more than enough to not worry about foot odour. But IME it takes 3 showers a day to not worry about body odour (generally)

Personally, I found the 'crystals' didn't work, but Rexona works well as do a few other brands.

Unfortunately you need to experiment to find out which work for you.

I suffer exactly the same problems here and fortunatly I go back to aust every 3 months and buy the only products that work for me...

+1 (rexona is the 'go') it's quite odd how so many, like me, have found the locally available supermarket stuff to be ineffective

Hell, just make your own from a 50/50 mix of baking soda and cornstarch, dirt cheap. Google for it; works very well. If you've gotta work, also wear an undershirt. Sorted.

Thanks but I'd say I'm not really in favour of 'homebrew' solutions.

Mere brainwashing, pal. Resist!

And regarding the undershirt, I treat it the same way than white socks: a fashion disaster. It's extremely unsightly and adds an unnecessary second layer.

Heh. Nobody can see my light V-neck under my expensive tailored shirts; nor would anyone would ever consider me a fashion disaster even if they did; even if I were a fashion disaster, it wouldn't matter in the slightest. There. And the second layer adds a few advantages that make it worthwhile. I never wore one in the States, but I learned to do so in Thailand.

• Like 1

I've been using the deodorant stone which is all natural for the past few years. Most pharmacies carry it and I have even seen it at some 7-11's. Takes care of the BO problem and my white tees don't get that nasty brown stain even if i sweat.:)

I believe you are talking about alum crystal. I tired a couple of different kinds and it doesn't work for me. I use Nivea for men and Rexona for women. I keep a small Rexona in my brief case as I used to work 10 hours a day in an office with no air conditioning. I also use a soft brush when I shower to apply soap and I never wear polyester shirts.

You must have severe hygene issues then as I've used it for years (after a cursory glance at the price of high priced Western deoderants/anti-perspirants here some time ago) and wondered how the average Thai could afford them, until this alum crystal was pointed out. Also works for 'fridges/cupboards. Available at almost any Thai market for a lot less than you would pay for the 'shaped' version at 7/11.

Edited by evanson

Personally, I found the 'crystals' didn't work,

I've heard this complaint before.Not to be unappetizing but if you have under your arms, you have to be sure to get the crystals on the skin on not just on the fuzz.

Edited by TigerWan

Those natural "alum" crystal blocks... does the "Alum" not stand for "Aluminium"; what many people are trying to AVOID in their deo, and therefore look for natural alternatives without aluminium - after which they smear 100% aluminium crystal under their arms... :)

I generally avoid antiperspirants - and have been using various natural deos but nothing works like for me like the Gilette gel antiperspirants.

Cheers!

What about the "man's deoderant",BRUT 33 ?cannot recall seeing that in Thailand ???????????????,its a green bottle. <BRut 33><BRBest i think.

Brut is widely available in Pattaya and therefore I am sure its also available in most other cities. Can even get it in sleepy old Songkhla.

I used to have a small problem with this when I first came here.

Someone asked me, "do you shower in very hot water?", and I did. The guy suggested I shower in cold water or just turn on the hot tap enough to barely take the chill off the water. The theory is that the hot shower water gets it all started then the hot humid climate keeps the sweat coming.

I tried it any it worked, never gone back to hot water.

Someone asked me, "do you shower in very hot water?", and I did. The guy suggested I shower in cold water or just turn on the hot tap enough to barely take the chill off the water. The theory is that the hot shower water gets it all started then the hot humid climate keeps the sweat coming.

You've obviously never lived in the sticks where taking a shower is scooping a bowl of water out of a huge clay plot and pouring it over your head. The best wake me up and hangover cure ever.

Same here. And on top of that, my skin looks much better now.

G&G body deodorant is the brand of the alum crystal stick that i have been using and i am totally converted to it after many years of using nivea roll on.

the wife's been using it for ages and i was skeptical until i ran out of nivea and used it for a couple of days.

good protection from odour and wetness and less skin irritation.

bought it at a branch of the P&F phamacy outside the local tesco.

I recently picked up a small bottle of Driclor in the uk. It contains a higher percentage of aluminium chloride than your average deoderant - stung like hell for the first couple of weeks. But now I never sweat under the arm....and before I would sweat even during the dead of a uk winter. Google it!

I've been using the deodorant stone which is all natural for the past few years. Most pharmacies carry it and I have even seen it at some 7-11's. Takes care of the BO problem and my white tees don't get that nasty brown stain even if i sweat.:)

did you know that your "stone" is Alum...potassium aluminum sulfate...you can buy it by the kilo in rocks at any mom/pop hardware store..about 60bt a kilo I think..Been using it for years here..it is also good for clarifying drinking/pool water, putting on insect stings/cuts/minor burns add nauseam..google it! ...marvelous stuff..lol

post-36430-0-35901600-1315354454_thumb.j

Edited by David006

You've obviously never lived in the sticks where taking a shower is scooping a bowl of water out of a huge clay plot and pouring it over your head. The best wake me up and hangover cure ever.

Oh yes I have.

Those natural "alum" crystal blocks... does the "Alum" not stand for "Aluminium"; what many people are trying to AVOID in their deo, and therefore look for natural alternatives without aluminum - after which they smear 100% aluminium crystal under their arms... :)

I generally avoid antiperspirants - and have been using various natural deos but nothing works like for me like the Gilette gel antiperspirants.

Cheers!

As I wrote , a crystal without aluminum. I understand it to be actually be a mineral salt compound. " Smelly No More " is the brand and states it contains no aluminum but I now realize I bought it in Singapore.

OT but one should also avoid cooking with aluminum ( which includes scratched or damaged Teflon IMHO. I will use Teflon but only with oil or butter as a barrier.

Edited by TigerWan