Films On /About/Made In Thailand

Hermes100

Which films do TV readers think best show Thailand.

The culture, the landscape, the beauty,etc

And which films made here by Thai directors are the most suitable for non speaking westerners?.

Judging from what I have seen.Thailand will soon be a force to be reckoned with in the international film community .

This makes my very happy because I have seen some great talent here.

You got to be kidding! I take my wife to see a Thai movie at least once a week. Some actually have English subtitles, but good grief they are horrible!!!!!! The acting is atrocious and the story lines are so trite and predictable! The funny ones can be a bit entertaining and the action movies have some incredible stunts and fight scenes, but not exactly Lord of the Rings. I'm usually looking for someone to shoot me in the head after about half an hour! But my sweetie loves them so I do it with a smile....... of sorts :annoyed:

Most Thai movies I couldn't be paid enough to sit through. But I did think Beautiful Boxer was reasonably well made and presented an interesting view of Thailand. Good subs in it, too.

Of course there are some terrible Thai movies; just as there are terrible Hollywood ones.

But, like Hollywood, there are excellent ones too.

Some favourites off the top of my head:

Bangkok Dangerous

One Take Only

Beautiful Boxer

Shutter

Nor Chor

and, of course, one of the best films ever made anywhere: Tears of the Black Tiger

PS, not Bangkok specific and I think this topic will do better in General; so moving it there.

Well you did say made in Muang Thai:

Kickboxer

Ong Back (2 & 3, tripe)

The Beach :P

(although only one was a Thai idea)

Kickboxer shows some nice landscape and ruins for culture-vultures, while The Beach has a decent bit of totty. ;)

Rescue Dawn although about Laos was filmed outside of Chiang Rai and it's a good mostly true story.

The Bridge Over the River Kwai although is about Thailand Was filmed in then Ceylon now Sri Lanka

The Power Kids movies are kinda amusing if you stretch out reality a bit and don't mind bad plots and acting

Tony Jaa has lots of action films but character growth and plots aren't strong suits

I find Thai movies very hard to watch. Either the situations are so far fetched or the acting is the pits or the injection of comedic relief detracts from an already weak story.

The movies that I think are pretty good:

Bangkok Dangerous

The Letter

Ong Bak (I think I purchased it in Hong Kong)

That's it. I tried watching a comedy movie, but it made me cringe. Some of the horror flicks are ok as long as they stick to the storyline and leave the spurious comedy out of it. Kudos to those who can enjoy these movies.

TheWalkingMan

There is a Tarzan movie set in Thailand. It might well be called Tarzan in Thailand. I watched it once and it's not bad. Although why Tarzan comes from Africa and is able to speak Thai who knows. But it has some good scenery. There is also The Man With The Golden Gun which apart from showing the well known " James Bond island " near Phuket also has some good shots of 007 racing a car down Ratchadamoen Avenue in BKK, see how different the cars are but interestingly enough note that some of the buses look exactly the same !

What makes you say Thailand will soon be a force in the international film community? They already have a huge film industry here, what is changing?

The original Bangkok Dangerous is the best Thai movie I have ever seen.

I agree- so much better than the hollywood one

Watched that alone one night. Scared the crap out of me.

I have to admit when it comes to " stick your head under the covers " scariness in horror movies the Asians have got it sussed. " Ju-On" " Ringu" etc. Thinking about when that girl crawled out of the well in " Ringu" still gives me the willies.

Western remakes just don't have that edge of sheer terror.

Of course there are some terrible Thai movies; just as there are terrible Hollywood ones.

Bangkok Dangerous

One Take Only

Beautiful Boxer

Shutter

Nor Chor

and, of course, one of the best films ever made anywhere: Tears of the Black Tiger

PS, not Bangkok specific and I think this topic will do better in General; so moving it there.

Don't forget "Volunteers" starring John Candy and Tom Hanks, watching John Candy speak Thai is hilarious :lol:

Slice.

One of the better Thai films. Shown on True recently,

http://myasiancinema...vie-slice-2009/

slice.jpg

Dont forget Bangkok Adrenaline

You must have worked on it to state such a thing. Bangkok Adrenaline was total shit. Don't confuse people by adding it to the list of good Thai movies. It's not even a Thai movie, it stars almost all falang actors with falang writers and Directors.

Bangkok Adrenaline was a lousy movie but the fight scenes and stunts were amazing. Edited by RusticCharm

Look out for anything by Nonzee Nimibutr ( Nang Nak, Jan Dara, Dang Bireley etc.) either as director or producer.

He has the knack - probably due to the fact that he started off making adverts for TAT - of capturing the local scenery in a magical way.

His latest film, Peun Yai Jorm Salat (ปืนใหญ่จอมสลั) was exquisite as was OK Betong ( โอเค เบตง); a very touching film about a very serious issue.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

I enjoyed "Chua Faa Din Salai" (Eternity), now available in DVD. Also "Agrarian Utopia". a documentary about rice farmers; it had a limited run in Bangkok a few months back. When I saw it the theater was full, which I didn't expect with a documentary. About five years ago i saw a comedy that had me laughing all the way through. I can't remember the name but it was about a bus being hijacked during Songkrahn. It doesn't sound like material for a comedy but it worked.

"My Best Bodyguard" played for a couple weeks in the cinema, and it was a melange of English, Chinese, and Thai. The most compelling reason to (not) see this movie, is the fact that I had a speaking role in it.

Saeng Satawǎat (Syndromes and a Century) - Apichatpong Weerasethakul

quirky, funny, honest and even a decent story. acting is fantastic. cinematography is incredible.

on edit: i just re-watched the first 5 minutes of the movie. i'm not right in the head, but i thinks it's an absolutely brilliant movie.

Edited by anothertorres

Bangkok Dangerous

One Take Only

Beautiful Boxer

Shutter

Nor Chor

Don't forget "Volunteers" starring John Candy and Tom Hanks, watching John Candy speak Thai is hilarious :lol:

very good choice. of course we cannot compare to the western developed nation's- but on the whole they are improving and their is some real talent. I just wish they would stop making beauty queen's actresses.

I liked as well Uncle Boonmee as The red eagle, two films that are about as much opposite as possible.

Boonmee slow, quiet and relaxed, The red eagle full of noise, unnecessary violence and exitement. But the violence was such that you could laugh about it when you saw the cut of heads rolling on the ground.

Generally I like the Thai movies in which ghosts play a role. Very funny. It gives the movies an extra dimension that is missing in western movies.

"Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives" , the Palm d`Or winner at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival.

Looking at past Palm d`Or winners, that's hardly a recommendation. :ermm:

Interesting point of view