Usa Tax Question For Marriage To Thai Wife

fiddlehead

So, I am hoping to file "Married Filing Jointly" as I got married almost 2 years ago but just filed "Single" last few years.

It seems my (Thai) wife needs an ITIN number that requires you to send in form W-7.

Form W-7 says: Caution: If you check box b,

c, d, e, f, or g, you must file a tax return with Form W-7 unless you meet one of the exceptions (see instructions).

So, my question is: what tax return to they want me to include with this form W-7? Mine from last year? My wife's from last year (of course she doesn't have one as this will be the first year we are trying this)

It seems like a catch 22 situation to me.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Does anyone here have a wife who has one of these ITIN numbers?

Thanks in advance.

ps. i hate tax season.

Easiest way is to submit an application for an ITIN with your return. Use her Thai passport as ID.

Okay, here's what I know about ITIN # and tax returns.

In order to file jointly, you need to fill out and submit the W-7 application form and then get the ITIN # sent to you. This number is a "temporary" replacement number for a Social Security number for your wife, which she cannot get until she becomes a resident of the USA. This is also true for any dependents, they must go to the US before they can get either a Social Security number or an ITIN number. Your wife can get the ITIN for joint tax purposes, but you cannot claim any dependents living in Thailand because they will not issue either a social security number or ITIN number for dependents unless they are residents of the USA, Mexico or Canada, currently the only countries that have an "agreement" with the US about dependents and taxes.

I'm not sure what mstribling is suggesting about the "easiest way", but I am pretty sure you need the ITIN number for your tax form, not just a copy of an application that "may or may not have" been submitted or approved. I suggest you get the number after submitting the W-7 form, seems to me it took only a couple weeks for us.

PM me if you need additional help, been there, done that.

:)

mario299

If you read the instructions for the ITIN is has to be submitted WITH your 1040. What is meant by easiest was the use of Thai passport to prove ID.

To the OP: go to the IRS website and read the instructions for the ITIN. Do not base anything you read here on your decision. This is only were to look fir advice.

As said you submit the ITIN form with your current tax year return (as your ITIN for this year). It is now only issued as part of tax filling. Believe you must also include a sheet of paper that she agrees to be taxed under US law (that should be spelled out in tax instructions for joint filling for foreign spouse).

In following years you will have the number and just use as SSN on tax forms. The deceleration for joint filling is only required one time (unless you want it changed).

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to understand all this. If I file the W-7 with my tax form this year, will I be able to use her as the "married filing jointly" option? That is the important thing here.

I realize that according to "mario299" i cannot but didn't see anything like that on the IRS website.

I'd really like to use this this year but don't know what will happen if i leave the line blank about her SS# or ITIN#, and just submit the W-7 form.

BTW:

My son has all proper papers, US passport and SS number already.

My wife was in the states already but doesn't have a SS#. (only a 10 year visa which I plan to include a copy of)

Anything more you folks can add is a real help.

Thank you all.

That is what the instructions tell you to do. Leave the line blank and submit the W-7, and supporting documents.

Read the instructions on your 1040 about qualifying dependants. Most Definitely will get the married advantage and would think you can claim your son as well.

Just advice though.

Once again, boring and not very entertaining but failing to read through your tax instructions is a bad idea.

Sorry for seeming like I'm scolding you.

Trying (hard) to read through all that 1040 instructions, especially pages 12 through 18.

Not seeing any talk of a wife as a dependent. Only children, brothers, half brothers, blah blah blah.

I really do appreciate your help and if you can direct me to which page you are seeing this info that makes you think I should get to use her as my wife (dependent) I will do my best to understand this.

It's OK to scold, I'm just not good at reading through all the options and understanding what pertains to me.

Thanks again.

Yes, I read that and seems she (we) are qualified to file "married filing jointly" to me.

Yes, we have been married for almost 2 years now (happily i might add)

My son is definitely a deduction and I have been using him for 4 years now.

Once again, thanks for your help.

I also read this on page 11: . It takes 6 to 10 weeks to get an ITIN

So, it really seems confusing that you are supposed to send in W-7 form WITH your tax form yet, get an ITIN number which is supposed to be inserted in place of spouses SS#

Once again, thanks for your help.

Two slightly off-topic but may be relevant to readers of this thread.

1. If the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year you must also file

FBAR Form TD F 90-22.1 each year. This is sent to Treasury Department but best to do at tax time to help remember.

2. Tax reporting on-line using free or nearly free software is available and easy.

I received an ITN for my wife and adult child who is mentally challenged.

I put together one package including:

Wife and child's birth certificates

Marriage certificates (both forms)

Adoption certificates

Thai ID cards

Doctors/Hospital form stating daughters mental deficiency

Copy of wife's Passport and US visa

and anything else I could think of to prove a family relationship.

If I felt it necessary I had the documents translated.

I then had this package notarized at the US embassy with a cover page saying that all these documents prove the family relationship and dependency of my wife and child and included it with the request for ITN's and my tax return. No problems.

If you send a copy of the wife's Thai passport, for ITIN W-7 form, it needs to have your surname and be a certified true copy from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

... Or notarized by the US embassy.

US Embassy no longer provides that service for Thai documents. Thai documents must be stamped by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Authentication of Royal Thai Government Officials’ Signatures

U.S Consular Officers in Thailand may authenticate Thai public documents for use in the United States if the documents bear the seal of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Please bring the document to our office and we will provide this service.

From W-7 instructions:

Consular offices at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas may not certify true copies of foreign public documents and will refer applicants to the foreign authority that issued the document.
Edited by InterestedObserver

Although I can not speak for the Embassy I do not believe notarizing a copy of a Thai passport with the original in hand is the same as notarizing a domestic Thai document. A call to the embassy would probably be in order - but - it may be cheaper to go the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affair route anyway and avoid the notary fee at the embassy.

Although I can not speak for the Embassy I do not believe notarizing a copy of a Thai passport with the original in hand is the same as notarizing a domestic Thai document. A call to the embassy would probably be in order - but - it may be cheaper to go the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affair route anyway and avoid the notary fee at the embassy.

Which means a (dreaded) trip to Bangkok just for this, correct?

Does anyone know if it can be done in Phuket?

They (embassy personnel) are supposed to be coming here in a little over 2 weeks.

But, it's sounding like that won't help, aye?

Edited by fiddlehead

I did talk to them about registering our marriage and they said they don't do that anymore.

That was last year.

She does have a US visa (which has been used last year) in her passport.

Shouldn't that prove things?

Now, mstribling, do you mean mail my wife's Thai passport along with my income tax form to the IRS?

I would think she'd never see it again.

Well then think that then.

Enjoy the hassle of the other forms of proof.

I am at a loss of what else to tell you.

You simply either do not want to take the time to read the instructions, or you can't understand them.

It states that her passport will be returned along with her ITIN.

Edited by mstribling

You did register your marriage at the US Consulate didn't you?

For what purpose? The OP is trying to get an ITIN from the IRS; the IRS needs to see certified true copies of documents. Social Security will also need a certified true copy of the Thai marriage certificate plus translation. The US Consulate will charge you $50.00 USD per signature authentication for their help.

Edited by InterestedObserver