Contract Expired: No More Lifeguards At Phuket Beaches

webfact

Yes, in Pattaya we have life guard stands without "life guards" ; we have police stands without police (too busy giving tickets on the corner to poor motor bike drivers while suv's and busses pass by;); and we Do have a stand for tourist complaints along Beach Rd. (but make sure you don't complain about the jet ski scams).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from observation at new years....fox guarding the chickens came to mind...no binoculars..towers un-mannned, no lifesaving gear no rope drums /belts/ RIBS/surf skis/jet skis/radios....a la Aussie beaches..jet ski rental cowboys out of control in swimming areas...better off without 'em methinks

But the lifeguards have received extensive training through the use of training films--three seasons worth of Bay Watch reruns.

from observation at new years....fox guarding the chickens came to mind...no binoculars..towers un-mannned, no lifesaving gear no rope drums /belts/ RIBS/surf skis/jet skis/radios....a la Aussie beaches..jet ski rental cowboys out of control in swimming areas...better off without 'em methinks

They did have RIBS, rope drums, radios, floats at Kata Beach, and just today I noticed that there were bouyed off areas for swimmers at Kata Beach. I thought that this past high season had the best equipped lifeguards I had even seen. Although I have no idea how well trained ...

Weird... I've seen the tower on Kata, but never seen a life guard or any of the gear you describe...

0517KataGuardTower.jpg

Maybe lifeguards are only there during the high season? I only go in the off season and have never seen any lifeguards or any gear.

I've rescued a few floundering swimmers on Nai Harn beach, no sign of life guards there...

Only thing I've seen at any of the southern beaches are some flags and the occasional sign warning of high surf and rip currents-

25-08-07surfsign.jpg

I certainly never enter the ocean assuming anyone but my mates are going to look out for me.

Ride On!

Tony

25-08-07---we-Phuket-043Sm.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

This has to be a wind up, how on earth can you leave tourist beaches unguarded?

If funding is the issue maybe the tuk-tuk drivers can donate 5% of their takings each to cover the temporary abscence of pay for the lifeguards.

Some one should have a word with who ever is in charge.

My Thai is not bad. 9 years working with the vast majority being Thai and living nearly exclusively with Thai.

SM3? Dunno. Sematics any way.

Pissing contest now! And you?

Pissing contest now ?? How do you mean?

I'm just living in Thailand 15 years constant. Been around. Vast diverse experiences. Not work though. Retired young and bid farewell to the motherland.

Not to mention that many surf life guards in many western countries provide their services on a voluntary basis. And they would be a thousand times more competent than these goons.

Very falang thinking.

If you didn't know, many people here fall into the category of 'must work to eat !'

Actually VictorOne was correct. Most if not all ES services in Thailand are volunteers, also a huge number of tourist police and just as many in regular police.

Not to mention 6000 baht salary per month is hardly worth risking your life for.

They did have RIBS, rope drums, radios, floats at Kata Beach, and just today I noticed that there were bouyed off areas for swimmers at Kata Beach. I thought that this past high season had the best equipped lifeguards I had even seen. Although I have no idea how well trained ...

Weird... I've seen the tower on Kata, but never seen a life guard or any of the gear you describe...

The RIBS (on trailer complete with outboards) were parked under the tower for many months. Used to see most days a couple of life guards on the beach opposite Club Med back entrance equipped with radios, floats, and a rope drum winch (small). This all appeared after last year's contract was signed, although I cannot believe it has been a full year since then and I'm surprised the one year has ended so soon.

Update. Just checkd. Yes service did start last February 2010 http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=8267&Search=life%20guards How the year flies by.

I suppose that no one read or noticed this quote :

"From April 26 last year, the club says it saved 1,064 foreigners and 285 Thais from drowning on the 13 beaches it patrols.

It was unable to prevent 13 deaths: two in Surin, one in Kata, one in Nai Thon and nine in Karon, Phuket's most dangerous beach."

and we all know that Thai stats are always very close to the truth. whistling.gif

i would be shocked to find out it was more than 1/5th of what they quoted.

That's about 4 or 5 per day. I would say that's a very low number for 13 beaches. Don't know why you would question those stats.

I have been notified by a friend of mine who lives in Phuket whom I trust, that I don't know the facts re:this situation.

Therefore I remove myself from this conversation and apologize for any statements that I might have made due to my ignorance.

"From April 26 last year, the club says it saved 1,064 foreigners and 285 Thais from drowning on the 13 beaches it patrols.

It was unable to prevent 13 deaths: two in Surin, one in Kata, one in Nai Thon and nine in Karon, Phuket's most dangerous beach."

Karon beach can be so rough. I will only swim with people around me and close to the beach. I love Phuket and the beaches but as a bad swimmer I realize that only I can be responsible for my safety and therefore will never take chances in such beautiful waters with undertow as well as unexpected large waves.

People never swim alone, don't drink and swim and use the buddy system and stay close to shore.

Ain't go to Puket then. There're many places you can swim with more or less the same beauty. Samed, Samui, Chang and Pattaya.

At Pattaya I see the towers/stands, but have never seen a lifeguard on them. Only tourists taking photos.

My friend was saved in January by a lifeguard using a body board only on Surin beach when the currents were so strong he couldnt make it back to shore.

Quite coincidentally he is a Postmaster also ( from UK) There was no Lifeguard in sight but when it was realised he was in trouble, his partner ran to alert locals who

then summoned a lifeguard ' . Whether he was official Lifeguard or not I do not know.

Actually VictorOne was correct. Most if not all ES services in Thailand are volunteers, also a huge number of tourist police and just as many in regular police.

Not to mention 6000 baht salary per month is hardly worth risking your life for.

Volunteer surf lifeguards in New Zealand & Australia generally have paying jobs away from the beach. They volunteer as members of a surf life saving club & like most clubs it offers the camaraderie of being a member plus they have individual & team sport events against other clubs. There is a Phuket Surf Lifesaving Association here that occasionally stages carnivals but I have often wondered if they have thought about providing volunteer lifeguard services as there must be many expats here who are willing & able to do so. Perhaps "vested interests" may not allow but it would be wonderful to have especially getting youngsters involved who have nothing else to do in their spare time considering there are no organized clubs providing good sporting outlets. There are volunteer tourist police, why not volunteer surf lifeguards?

BTW those discussing the term farang should move to another thread as it does not have any relevance to this topic.

your right ...I actually I did see some gear at Kata and the roped off areas...I would have felt a bit more confident if the RIB had a motor on it and the "lifesavers" were well identified actually patrolling the beach though.

Such a shame really that there is obviously no management..really needs to have someone with the passion and responsible attitude to implement thorough training/workouts/drills and make it all "work"..

It would not be too hard to have test drills of processes of the teams before awarding contracts and regular training drills , even competitions, thereafter...maybe I am rather naive to expect it though....yes I know ....this ain't Australia it's Thailand

LIK you are absolutely correct. This last year is the best lifeguarding I've ever seen in Thailand. They were actually working out swimming, had practice sessions pulling each other out with the board, would walk the beach regularly.

I'm under the impression a lot of these posts are coming from abroad, as opposed to people here on the beach every weekend.

Now that it's high season calm waters, these guys aren't so useful, but come June I sure hope they put them back in place.

Agree that it is the best lifeguard service ever- contract was only for 10 months as there was (as this year) a delay from the Or Bor Jor to finalise. I understand it is very difficult to find people willing to bid for the contract.

These guys were just starting out and really did much better than any previous contractor. In particular from my experience- Naiharn beach had an excellent team of lifeguards.

I hope that the lifeguards are again on the beaches soon. They have the equipment and training to make a difference.

That's about 4 or 5 per day. I would say that's a very low number for 13 beaches. Don't know why you would question those stats.

So you would estimate a beach with no lifeguard is going to see, on average, 2.5 deaths per week, or 130 deaths a year? You've been watching too much Baywatch!

Claiming to have saved 1350 lives in a year is slight exaggeration. If not, we'll be hearing of 4 or 5 deaths on the beaches every day over the next few weeks!

Almost all drownings are in the off peak slower summer season due to monsoon rip tides.

This entire lifeguard situation seems to be framed and one sided so as to hire lifeguards year round by publication interests.

The argument put forth by one well know online editor is "Valuable life saving skills are forgotten in 6 months,.. " begging the question of how well trained are they? Seems to me the life guards have it good when their job is guaranteed in the slow season. They can find jobs in the high season if they are willing to work.

Most resort destinations only hire when life guards are needed and lifeguards are not needed in Phuket's flat calm, winter high-season conditions. Most , if not all drownings occur ( excluding drownings by midnight alcohol- fueled swims and neglectful parenting of children, ) off the western beaches during the summer monsoon season when the westerly wind makes for bad rip tides.

Year before last, some enterprising business types decided to market, "Summer Season" so as to attract off- season visitors, without nary a thought to the well known dangers rip tides in during the period. This coincided with no lifeguards that summer due to contract negotiating failures and so there was a marked spike, 50 deaths I think in one short period, many foreigners not familiar with sea conditions enticed by "Summer Season" marketing.

Right now the sea on the west coast is like your kid's wading pool. BUT, I did see masses of Jelly fish off the Mao Khao airport coast when I flew in last week . That's the real emerging threat, IMHO on par with over development and pollution.

Edited by TigerWan

crazy they do a thing like i can remember in 89/91 era dragging out 8 people from in front of golden sands karon rounderbout area dangerous when a swell running holiday makers with acouple or more beers under there belt survival rate 6 from 8

BUT, I did see masses of Jelly fish off the Mao Khao airport coast when I flew in last week . That's the real emerging threat, IMHO on par with over development and pollution.

One missed me and my daughter by inches the other day at Nai Yang. Don't know if it was a dangerous one or not. About 20 minutes later I saw it washed up on the beech :( .

As far as lifeguards are concerned. I bet there would be enough Farang who would volunteer to do it. If someone paid for the training, (I wouldn't mind paying for it myself) I bet you could get all beaches covered all year round.

Not to mention that many surf life guards in many western countries provide their services on a voluntary basis. And they would be a thousand times more competent than these goons.

Just maybe instead of always badmouthing the Thais all the fing time, take it upon ourselves when we are out playing in the surf or "wherever"

be a tad more alert and helpful rather then just talking the talk, if more of us walked the walk rather then trying to change everything just pitch in, if we happen to be there at the time of need.

There was many places in Hawaii without lifeguards, I have pulled out a few, some drown even where there are lifeguards, one should make sure that there are warning signs stating this, in Thai English and Russian with a picture so all understand.

Remember changing thing to much, can make it like where we came from, then where do we go! They ruined Hawaii

"They" meaning Haole's, here it's Farang's same thing different word.

I do not think it wise for unqualified people to attempt life saving in dangerous surf, they will only add to the problem.

There are lifeguards at Phuket beaches?

I surf Kata, Kata Noi and Naiharn every season but don't recall ever seeing a life guard at any of these beaches...

Nope, me either. Never seen a lifeguard on any beach on Phuket.

I have seen lots of jet-ski scum though scamming every tourist they can con.

Says a lot about Thailand when they do not care one iota about the safety of their guests on one hand, while ripping off the same guests with the other hand.

This cycle will not continue forever as karma can be a biatch.

There are lifeguards at Phuket beaches?

I surf Kata, Kata Noi and Naiharn every season but don't recall ever seeing a life guard at any of these beaches...

Nope, me either. Never seen a lifeguard on any beach on Phuket.

I have seen lots of jet-ski scum though scamming every tourist they can con.

Says a lot about Thailand when they do not care one iota about the safety of their guests on one hand, while ripping off the same guests with the other hand.

This cycle will not continue forever as karma can be a biatch.

Have you been to the beach in Phuket, during the last 10 months?

This may actually make the beaches safer by removing the false sense of security these underqualified poseurs enabled. Witness the numerous reports from recent years of Phuket "lifeguards" refusing to go out because conditions were "too rough". Like most things in Thailand, a case of appearance over substance to trick the unwary.

Should be some good experienced Aussie back packers willing in to do the job. :angry:

Best equipped you have ever seen ...........................where have you been looking ? :lol:

Ain't go to Puket then. There're many places you can swim with more or less the same beauty. Samed, Samui, Chang and Pattaya.

Bondi, Bali, California, Florida, Wakiki, Tahiti....

CS

Keep away from Bali, Kuta beach is full of Rabies infected dogs, already 10 deaths there this year.

YES ! their own figures :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

0517KataGuardTower.jpg

Maybe lifeguards are only there during the high season? I only go in the off season and have never seen any lifeguards or any gear.

I've rescued a few floundering swimmers on Nai Harn beach, no sign of life guards there...

Only thing I've seen at any of the southern beaches are some flags and the occasional sign warning of high surf and rip currents-

25-08-07surfsign.jpg

I certainly never enter the ocean assuming anyone but my mates are going to look out for me.

Ride On!

Tony

25-08-07---we-Phuket-043Sm.jpg

I notice that the tower is well equipped with what every Thai lifeguard needs..........................a hammock :D:D

From a lifelong wave surfer, former resident of hawaii, and with dear friends in hawaii, both local, mixed blood, and asian american.

So called lifeguards in phuket are not up to par. I have observed them many times asleep, shooting the breeze with each other NOT looking at the water. If they use binoculars I have never seen it. So many people in hawaii are avid water sportsmen and just them on the beach helping out swimmers in need would be better and more competent than alleged phuket lifeguards.

Does the state of hawaiii not have the highest ratio of state/county/city employees per capita. Hawaii does not even need haoles since home grown corruption and incompetence and cronyism is more than adequate to hurt everyone. Just one example; bishop estate. then honolulu prosecutor initials M.B. had the guts to expose deep deep corruption and wasting of money that should have been used for the education of those with hawaiin blood. She was politically driven away after that. Many native Hawaiians applauded her but the crooks and good ol boys did not.