Will Advice

gerry53

2 hours ago, topt said:

I can only guess this is a lame attempt at humour. Or I could call it something else :hit-the-fan:

You should ask the executor that you name that they will in fact do the job for you before you write the will.

The will needs to be witnessed properly if you want to avoid problems with probate.

Lodging at the Amphur - you need witnesses and based on some previous reports on here not all Amphur are amenable. 

if you don't care, because you have shuffled off your mortal coil, then go ahead........

I can only guess that you are illiterate, since you are unable to read and comprehend a 3 line post, and with a chip on your shoulder.

Try again, S L O W L Y this time.

On 6/20/2024 at 11:15 PM, CallumWK said:

Obviously, you don't tell anyone, even the executor, that you made a will since you don't want to be worth more dead than alive.

Let me know if I need to make a drawing for you to understand.

2 hours ago, topt said:

The will needs to be witnessed properly if you want to avoid problems with probate.

Lodging at the Amphur - you need witnesses and based on some previous reports on here not all Amphur are amenable. 

Witnesses can be Amphur staff, and even if it needs to be non-staff members, witnesses can die before me.

I am single and have no relatives.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted (edited)

Kiwi here, teaching in Thailand since early 2000's.  Been with the same Thai woman for 19 years, we married legally in 2017.  We have no children, and both my parents are deceased. I have one sister in NZ, and she has no kids.

I am interested in setting up a will to benefit my wife and sister.  

I currently have the following assets:

Thailand: 

A condominium, Thai bank deposits, LTF funds with same Thai banks, and a retirement fund through my school.

New Zealand:  

Bank deposits & some individual share holdings

Europe:

I have 2 ETF funds bought through a European bank/broker

I am a NZ citizen, but I am non resident of NZ for tax purposes.  In Thailand I am a tax-resident.

Some online research has suggested that it may make sense to have 2 wills set up, one in Thailand and one in NZ. 

I wondered if it would make sense to leave the NZ (and euro) based assets to my sister, and the Thai based assets to my wife.  This would result in a roughly 50:50 split.

Any thoughts from the folks on this forum would be appreciated.

Edited by Capiscum

@Capiscum

I am similar to you so I have set up two wills, one in Australia to leave all my Aussie assets to my two sisters and one in Thailand leave all my Thai assets to my Thai ex-wife.

If I leave my Thai condo to my sisters they wouldn't have a clue how to deal with Thai law and I understand if a condo 'willed to a foreigner' is not sold in 12 months Thai government can seize it. So much better to leave to a Thai.

One thing to remember, tell NZ Lawyer about Thai Will (or Thai about NZ if done first). All Wills generally say this Will supercedes all others, but my Lawyer instead added "...except my Thailand Will [details added]". I could have unknowingly canceled my Thai Will if I hadn't brought it with me to show them.

• Like 1