Getting Charged Extra At He Post Office

Madivad

I was surprised to learn that you can send almost anything through the post office here. We were looking to buy a motorbike/scooter, and my wife just said to me why don't we get hers sent down from home? It was a big ride and didn't look forward to the idea and she told me about getting it shipped through the post office. They found out how much (about 3500฿ give or take), so off to the post office they went, gave our address (in Patong Beach).

We (foolishly) expected the bike to turn up at the post office which is almost right next door to our hotel - I mean, I can throw a rock and hit it!). We got the phone call this morning, it's at a post office on the other side of the island, it'll cost us 500฿to have it shipped here or about the same in a taxi. The wife alredy told him to send it over.

What get's me, I didn't expect the bike to hit the front door step (although that would have been nice), but I did expect it to come to a post office (even a local business center post office) and not some post office on the other side of the island. What happens in the sticks? If I send the bike back to her home are they going to make the family travel to a post office in the Amphur? or send it to the one that's close?

Anyway, I've vented now, but is this normal? Send it to another post office and then charge us to get it to the right one?

Yes its normal I ship items made of heavy iron, upwards of 100 kilo at times and I always tell my customers that they will have to pick it up at the main post office.

A freight company is normally cheaper, but you still may run into the problem where they will just bring it to wherever their office is in the province and after that its up to you.

Edited by BillR

Don't want to drift too far from the subject but, the other day, I shipped some stuff to America.

My wife talked me into sending it from one of those pay at post centers or whatever it was called.

I priced it: 2470 baht (it was 7 kgs by boat)

Went to the PO in Rawai: price: 1230 baht.

Beware of these places. The Post office (EMS) seems to be the best price for shipping and has always been reliable for me.

that is correct, beware of the pay at post, see my string thread for reference. They will often add extra charges and since the receipts are in thai you won't know until its too late. The new official thai post in rawai does have a service charge, but its only 20baht and easily verifiable on the thai post website.

Yes its normal I ship items made of heavy iron, upwards of 100 kilo at times and I always tell my customers that they will have to pick it up at the main post office.

A freight company is normally cheaper, but you still may run into the problem where they will just bring it to wherever their office is in the province and after that its up to you.

Ok Bill, thanks for that. Luckily for us Phuket is only small and it's not far, although she opted to just pay him and have it sent to us here. But I wonder what happens in larger provinces where the main post office can be more than an hour away. And really, I thought Patong CITY would have a main post office... ahhhh, still venting lol

Thanks again

In the larger provinces ALL ems packages, big and small, are delivered when the delivery guy gets around to it. People that live out in the sticks generally are aware of this so its expected.

For sending things like this, it is also worth checking out the bus services. The buses, for example from Isaan, also except big things like motorbikes, and this normally works out very cheap.

My GF has a friend who delivers people,parcels, bikes ect, Issarn-Phuket Phuket-Issarn. Usually twice a week.PM me if anyone needs his number

Yeah. Ne'er though to ask the question here first. Thanks for the info

For sending things like this, it is also worth checking out the bus services. The buses, for example from Isaan, also except big things like motorbikes, and this normally works out very cheap.

Yeah she did check that out and ruled it out for some reason. Her mum didn't like the bus company or something. Or she had the opinion the bike would have got damaged or something. Moot now. It's done.

Thanks everyone.

Completely of topic, but, I'm interested in your use of the word “lend” in the your thread title. I've checked my dictionary and there is no such noun listed.

I'm guessing it's (Australian?) slang for something, but I know not what. Can you explain please?

And, I'm not trying to be funny. Serious question.

I was sure I just answered this? Where did my post go?

Anyway...

LEND I don't know the correct terminology, but relates to LOAN

try: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=define:lend

Definitions of lend on the Web:

bestow a quality on; "Her presence lends a certain cachet to the company"; "The music added a lot to the play"; "She brings a special atmosphere to our meetings"; "This adds a light note to the program"

give temporarily; let have for a limited time; "I will lend you my car"; "loan me some money"

have certain characteristics of qualities for something; be open or vulnerable to; "This story would lend itself well to serialization on television"; "The current system lends itself to great abuse"

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

To allow to be used by someone temporarily, on condition that it or its equivalent will be returned; To make a loan; to be be misled in a jocular or teasing manner; to be suitable or applicable, to fit

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lend

lending - disposing of money or property with the expectation that the same thing (or an equivalent) will be returned

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

But in this context I'm using it colloquially, or in a slang manner best described by example: if someone is having a lend of you, they are "having a go/making fun/etc" or a better example "taking you for a ride"

also found this too:

http://www.slang-dictionary.com/definition/have-a-lend-of-someone.html

to deceive, bamboozle, lie about. The phrase is related to older locutions such as ‘get a lend of/have a loan of’ which refer to a dishonest individual taking advantage of another by borrowing from them.

although, in this case "borrow" can mean "steal"

Thanks for that, Madivad. I see it's Australian.

The equivalent Northern Irish would be, "Is someone takin' the hand out of us?"

A similar one, but usually more when someone is making fun of you in some way, is "someone is taking thePiss out of you/me/us"

back on topic, paid the 500฿, not that big a deal really

we had our bike sent from Kaen Khen to Phuket all was fine...

Main bulk post phuket office easy to find not really that far from Patong just passed the by pass road on way to the airport....

was surprised to see how many bikes in there.....

filled it with gas machine right out front and drove it home to Rawai

great service :jap:

we had our bike sent from Kaen Khen to Phuket all was fine...

Main bulk post phuket office easy to find not really that far from Patong just passed the by pass road on way to the airport....

was surprised to see how many bikes in there.....

filled it with gas machine right out front and drove it home to Rawai

great service :jap:

When my wife come out this morning and told me, I said "No probs, don't worry about it (having it delivered), let's just grab a taxi and go get it." But she'd already told them to do it.

I have to admit, it was funny when they unwrapped the mirrors and one was cracked. The look on the guys face was priceless. It was already broken prior to shipping, but he (obviously) didn't check the paperwork.