Try To Get To Swampy 3-4 Hours Before Your Flight

Chunky1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just be on time 3 hours like they say. I don't mind cue jumpers if they arrived on time. But i do dislike people who come late like you intentionally and expect a preferential treatment.

Check-in closes 45 minutes before the flight.

I would just be on time 3 hours like they say. I don't mind cue jumpers if they arrived on time. But i do dislike people who come late like you intentionally and expect a preferential treatment.

Check-in closes 45 minutes before the flight.

have to agree here then they should close that early too. I see your point.

I actually started a thread on the Airport Forum about 6 weeks ago, warning others about the delays. Last night I came prepared, 4 hours before my flight. Ended up hanging around for 3 and a half hours as immigration was very good at departures, all desks manned etc. So, I have to say that it was pretty good this time

I flew out on Tuesday night (9PM flight), arrived at the airport at about 6.30 (Taxi was late picking me up). Went through the right hand immigration hall (near the P check-in line).

The snake queue had been removed and a staff member was directing people to each individual line, 4 or 5 in front of me, through in 20 mins or so. What was worrying was that whilst I was waiting the queues started to build up, action from immigration - close three desks, TiT.

I arrive back in LoS at 7.40AM Sunday, we shall see what things are like then, but family arrived on the same flight last friday and were giving grandad (me) wet sloppy kisses (the girls are 2 and 3) at 8.45 :)

><deleted> is going on?

I think the o/p question was <deleted> is going on? I too would be interested as the queues are ridiculous. Either that or a ploy to get everyone using the fee based fast channel perhaps?

When has it taken longer than 2 minutes to walk through Changi airport immigration? 3 hours queues are what I might expect in Lagos or some-such bit not the 5th best airport in the world! Seriously I concur the o/p's question, <deleted> is going on?

Is Swampy the 5th best airport in the world? Really? Since when?

Of course it isn't with 3 hour queues, but the Nation reported it as such on 18-Feb this year! Link = http://j.mp/fCozeV

Edited by Digitalbanana

When someone jumps the queue in front of you, no need to start a fight, just call a custom officer. Explain someone needs assistance and point to the person who cut the queue. When there are long queues, customs officers are usually on the edge because everybody complain. If the guy doesn't have a good reason, he will be sent back to the end of the queue right away.

On the other hand, if there is a big queue at the custom and you may not make it on time to the boarding gate, airline staff usually help you to clear the custom.

But if there is a computer problem and everybody is held at the custom, not need to worry, the flight won't leave half empty and will wait for you

That all sounds quite reasonable, now doesn't it.

jb1

Flying to the US isn't usually bad as the flights going that way usually leave in the early morning. It it the late flights which are the problem. I am flying to Turkey Tuesday night, and hope the lines aren't too bad,

Sure, there were probably people in line who missed their flight because they were too timid to speak up. Up to you!

It's not about being timid, it's about having courtesy and respect.

The airline tells you to get to check-in three hours before flight departure. If you don't do that, you take a risk of not getting to your gate on time. That's your decision. That's your risk. Why you then think you have a right to skip to the front of the queue, i have no idea.

Actually for First , Business and Award card holders the time is 1 hour before departure..

But then I guess we have the advantage of using the VIP gate.

Also i think the time request from the airlines might have something to do with the number of passengers they have to check in for each flight..Cant really ask 300 people to turn up 1 hour before departure nowcan they??

The lines are Immigration are bcoz of innefficiency - lets just say it..

I fly a lot , through many airports and they dont have this problem because the immigration screeningis EFFICIENT - just look at Singapore Changi, if there are more than 3-4 people infront of you there they consider that a long queu.

More immigration officers, less processing time - is the answer.

Sure, there were probably people in line who missed their flight because they were too timid to speak up. Up to you!

The airline tells you to get to check-in three hours before flight departure. If you don't do that, you take a risk of not getting to your gate on time. That's your decision. That's your risk. Why you then think you have a right to skip to the front of the queue, i have no idea.

I don't like chunky much and i don't like people who behave like him. However he did have a valid point why would airlines keep accepting people and checking them in 45 min before flying. If they did not like it they should have closed check in earlier and that would solve the problem.

I don't like chunky much and i don't like people who behave like him. However he did have a valid point why would airlines keep accepting people and checking them in 45 min before flying. If they did not like it they should have closed check in earlier and that would solve the problem.

Well i agree that the queues at passport control are unacceptable, and that the airlines should consider closing check in earlier, although i guess changing that might be tricky as they probably feel they need to stick to the same policy at all the airports. If they made an exception for Bangkok and started closing check in desks an hour or an hour and a half before flight time, they would have passengers on their backs asking why it was that when they flew from such and such a place last week, they could check in 45 minutes before their flight.

At the end of the day, the problem lies with Bangkok airport and they have to address it.

That said, if you, like Chunky, intentionally arrive at check in with less than three hours to spare, you shouldn't expect or ask for special treatment in skipping ahead of other travellers who did arrive on time. That's just rude.

The US ambassador was held up today, over determining how long she was allowed to stay on her visa. Said she was held up for a long time. Bangkok Post today

Thread running here

Seems a new immigration officer was confused by a diplomatic passport.

I flew out on Tuesday night (9PM flight), arrived at the airport at about 6.30 (Taxi was late picking me up). Went through the right hand immigration hall (near the P check-in line).

The snake queue had been removed and a staff member was directing people to each individual line, 4 or 5 in front of me, through in 20 mins or so. What was worrying was that whilst I was waiting the queues started to build up, action from immigration - close three desks, TiT.

I arrive back in LoS at 7.40AM Sunday, we shall see what things are like then, but family arrived on the same flight last friday and were giving grandad (me) wet sloppy kisses (the girls are 2 and 3) at 8.45 :)

As promised, report for today's arrival.

Wheels touch 07.40 in the taxi 08.20, immigration lines about 75% of the way across the hall where the desks are situated.

Actually for First , Business and Award card holders the time is 1 hour before departure..

But then I guess we have the advantage of using the VIP gate.

What VIP gate? As far as I can remember, there is a separate immigration area for Elite Card holders, diplomats, and airline staff. Everyone else goes through the same immigration lines regardless if they have an economy or business ticket.

That's correct. There may be some advantage flying Thai in Business or First, but I haven't used them since the move to Suwannaphoom. For other airlines in First or Business there is no "fast track" on departure, and upon arrival it is not always provided by the airline.

Stamping passports of passengers who are leaving the country should be faster.

Q: Are all booths manned?

Q: Why not add booths?

Seems like a management problem. some staff are also frightfully slow and engage in conversation or ask questions etc.

That's correct. There may be some advantage flying Thai in Business or First, but I haven't used them since the move to Suwannaphoom. For other airlines in First or Business there is no "fast track" on departure, and upon arrival it is not always provided by the airline.

There is a fast-track at departure in Swampy, have used it several times and it is indeed fast.

There is a fast-track at departure in Swampy, have used it several times and it is indeed fast.

thanks GS...:thumbsup:

so anyone with a business class ticket from any airline can go to the fast track line?

Not all business class tickets qualify for fast track, I went to Chicago with ANA business class in November last year and no fast track.

I will be going again next week and if they still don't offer fast track I will get it via http://www.thaifasttrack.com/

so anyone with a business class ticket from any airline can go to the fast track line?

Not all business class tickets qualify for fast track, I went to Chicago with ANA business class in November last year and no fast track.

I will be going again next week and if they still don't offer fast track I will get it via http://www.thaifasttrack.com/

I sometimes fly that route & class with ANA- love those beaming, cute, attentive stewardesses. But i wish ana would figure out how to make a good western breakfast.

Picked up my tickets for my flight to St Louis with ANA and they confirmed now that they are in the Fast Track program.

I just looked at their website and it had no information on departing services. It said that it did it but then there was no other mention.