Awesome Bagels In Bkk!

cameraboynyc

i LOVE malt vinegar on fish and chips and I am American. :wub:

I squeeze a little lemon on it but can't stand the smell of vinegar.. I also like something creamy to dip the chips in - mayo usually..

Love vinegar on my fish and chips as well...but must be malt vinegar. Goes great on the fries/chips too !

Used to love the old H.Salt Esquire chain of F&C' shops in the States.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what a beigel should look like....

69006077_5a5905ebc5.jpg

Beigel Bakery Brick Lane London...open 24 hours with queues out the door at 3am...all for one of these baby's.....yum!! :)

Are they cutting back on the beef ? My wife (Thai) used to have a Jewelery stall in Camden Passage and I would often pick her up one of these on the way in. One day I noticed a fellow stallholder stop setting up his stall to watch her in amazement, I asked him what was wrong and he replied that he never thought he would see a little Thai girl eating " alf a bleeding cow !" As we no longer live close she has taken to making her own, along with other goodies, came home the other day to find my freshly made pesto sauce had transmogified into, it must be said, rather delicious pastries, :)

It may well be Bangla town now but they started baking beigels there in 1885.

69006077_5a5905ebc5.jpg

Beigel Bakery Brick Lane London...open 24 hours with queues out the door at 3am...all for one of these baby's.....yum!! :)

Are they cutting back on the beef ? My wife (Thai) used to have a Jewelery stall in Camden Passage and I would often pick her up one of these on the way in. One day I noticed a fellow stallholder stop setting up his stall to watch her in amazement, I asked him what was wrong and he replied that he never thought he would see a little Thai girl eating " alf a bleeding cow !" As we no longer live close she has taken to making her own, along with other goodies, came home the other day to find my freshly made pesto sauce had transmogified into, it must be said, rather delicious pastries, :)

Well spotted roamer....the pic aint from Brick Lane where you still get at leat twice the salt beef seen above.

As a side note there's a Thai food stall on Borough High St doing great lunchtime trade....very tasty! :)

69006077_5a5905ebc5.jpg

Well spotted roamer....the pic aint from Brick Lane where you still get at leat twice the salt beef seen above.

As a side note there's a Thai food stall on Borough High St doing great lunchtime trade....very tasty! :)

Haha - well noted indeed - the poppyseeds and texture are a giveaway! :)

Thanks Loma, for bringing us back to the actual subject at hand being, not fish and chips, but rather, the new bagel shop at Chid Lom...

As for Nisa's question above, the Villa markets seem to stock their own local brand of (kind of) English muffins in four packs, and I think even a larger size...

I've had them, and they're so-so... Something not quite right in their taste and texture.... But kind of close... and better than nothing.

BTW, in addition to Au Bon Pain's version of bagels, which I think are about the best I've had yet in Thailand, I noticed the other day that the Bangkok Baking Co. shop at the Marriott Hotel near Suk Soi 2 also is making bagels... I stopped by, saw them on offer, and ended up taking home four of them....they had regular and sesame seed the day I was there. Still in the frig waiting to try...

I just noticed this info on the Chid Lom shop's own web page.... Kind of a strange operational decision, IMHO...

Bagel Bakery & Deli

Monday - Friday 08:30 am to 6:30 pm

Saturday (Bagels only) 08:30 am to 12:30 pm

No deli food on the weekends at all?

And only open starting at 8:30 am on the weekdays, which would make it kind of tough for people on their way to work...

BTW, I see the new shop has standard pricing on their bagels of 35 baht, which is a bit lower than ABP's regular bagels...

But I don't see a cheese jalapeno version on the new shop's menu, although that is one that ABP stocks... Oh well, maybe that flavor is only a California thing... :)

PS - I see they also have on their sandwich menu a (Veggie) Monger sandwich.... That ought to be a popular choice for the Mongers around these parts...

Edited by jfchandler

I just noticed this info on the Chid Lom shop's own web page.... Kind of a strange operational decision, IMHO...

Bagel Bakery & Deli

Monday - Friday 08:30 am to 6:30 pm

Saturday (Bagels only) 08:30 am to 12:30 pm

No deli food on the weekends at all?

And only open starting at 8:30 am on the weekdays, which would make it kind of tough for people on their way to work...

IMO this kind of place could use someone like a Chefxp or similar to do deliveries.

Next time you're mongering there, James, you might suggest it to them...

But remember, they've only been open a week or so.... All things with time...

Nearby Mexican place La Monita has been promising delivery for many months....and still.... nothing....

Next time you're mongering there, James, you might suggest it to them...

But remember, they've only been open a week or so.... All things with time...

Nearby Mexican place La Monita has been promising delivery for many months....and still.... nothing....

seems like a no brainer to me John - as you say only open starting at 830 will cut out quite a few people unless you work / live very near by. Combined with limited Saturday options - makes it less customer friendly / easy to use.

now - if I could order a couple of those lox and cream cheese plus some extra bagels (for the next day etc) - delivered to my home I might make a purchase or two.

I've just come back from Bkk Bagel and have to say that I the bagels were great. I had a tuna bagel and both the bagel and filling were fresh, great taste and texture. I bought 6 bagels to take home for the kids and wife to try. The lady at the counter said they would deliver using motorcycle taxis.

I hope they are a success and encourage more of this type of deli cos I am tired of mass produced <deleted>

I've just come back from Bkk Bagel and have to say that I the bagels were great. I had a tuna bagel and both the bagel and filling were fresh, great taste and texture. I bought 6 bagels to take home for the kids and wife to try. The lady at the counter said they would deliver using motorcycle taxis.

I hope they are a success and encourage more of this type of deli cos I am tired of mass produced <deleted>

thanks for the review.

thanks for the review.

Also tried the bagels at home. My 2yo likes the cinnamon raisin one. The plain with cream cheese is good also. I have had to freeze the other 4 as we are going away for the weekend. I read online that I should dampen them with a cloth then pop them in the oven for 10 minutes. Is this a good idea?

Ok after all this chatter I made a trip over there at lunch today. Place was fairly busy (lunch hour) with a mix of farang types and some Thais.

I ordered a roast beef special one they have with a plain bage, swiss cheese, brown mustard - a lot of people were ordering the smoked salmon one (which I normally go for).

Price of mine 225 baht: Bagel: good taste, nice and condensed, a good pull on the teeth required if you know what I mean, roast beef to my pleasant surprise was tender and easy to bite through.

Like their website shows they have individual bagels for sale, plain, whole wheat, poppy seed and a sweet one I think. Would like to see a few more options out there that wouldn't upset the purists (onion, olive, jalepeno sorry). 30 to 40 baht each?

Cream cheese is sold in individual smallish containers - saw a few varieties like garlic and herb?, and plain for 30 baht.

John will be happy to know that they have about 6 flavours of snapple on board as well.

Overall a good experience: will def grab a few to take home next time and pick up a big container of cream cheese from villa etc as I am one of those that enjoys the cream cheese in copious amounts.

Sorry James, never tried Snapple and never wanted to...

Guess you've given up smoking, but not tipping the bottle a bit early in the day.... :rolleyes:

yep, almost 3 weeks now: cut way back on the beer as well. snapple is your kind of drink me thinks John. try one and report back in your usual fashion on your findings!

Toasting a bagel, a "purists (sic) test". Wow. Where is this Brick Lane place? Seriously, you toast a day-old or frozen bagel. Toasting a fresh bagel? More like sacrilege.

Agreed, to toast a freshly baked bagel is sacrilege (Not to mention unnecessary), I guess that they toast them as they are baked fresh in the morning. I ate around 4pm, and they do tend to harden somewhat after cooling. Heating, toasting any type of bread always brings back some of the original intended texture.

Toasting a bagel, a "purists (sic) test". Wow. Where is this Brick Lane place? Seriously, you toast a day-old or frozen bagel. Toasting a fresh bagel? More like sacrilege.

Agreed, to toast a freshly baked bagel is sacrilege (Not to mention unnecessary), I guess that they toast them as they are baked fresh in the morning. I ate around 4pm, and they do tend to harden somewhat after cooling. Heating, toasting any type of bread always brings back some of the original intended texture.

Indeed it does. Wifey has been making her sourdough ciabatta, glorious when its fresh but makes superb panini a few days later :rolleyes: Whilst we debate the merits of the various bread products in Bangkok I wonder how many of us can remember when bread just meant some sweet (ugh)white sliced cotton wool in plastic bags even in the capital ?

I do love the bagels. My favourite one was cream cheese, smoked salmon and green pesto, very nice. This was in Ireland a long time go though. Do they do the green pesto thing here ? I'll have to check this place out.

• 1 month later...

I've been there three times in the past 30 days or so. The first time, no one was actually at in the shop around 5 pm. A Thai lady got there about 5 seconds ahead of me and the door was locked. I figured they had sold out and closed the store. The second time, I went with the gf. She had the roast beef sandwich and I ordered the turkey showstopper sandwich. Hers was good. Mine was way too salty for my taste and my gf. A day or so before Songkran, I walked in and they had sold out of everything. I am curious about having a fresh bagel that isn't toasted. I normally toast mine and put cream cheese on it. Butter with some cinnamon/sugar is nice too. I am thinking of getting those small cheese wheels that you can find in Foodland. They come in multiple flavors with herbs and spices. It's basically cream cheese that is flavored. Should go well with the bagels.

• 1 year later...

I was in there last year when the previous manager had a meltdown on some nice Thai folks who were upset that they were out of bagels on the last day of their Ensogo coupon's validity. It wasn't pretty! I've been boycotting them ever since, not that it matters to anyone. Good to hear there is a new manager, eye liner and all. I did get a couple bagels that were more hole than bagel when they first opened, but that's life... smile.png

Edited by ricklev