Volunteer Farang Police

ukfriend

Hi, i know there's been several threads related to this subject in one form or another, on this forum and others. what exactly is the role of the volunteer police, what powers do they have in relation to the Thai police. for example i have heard that they have no powers at all, only to assist the Thai police, but i have witnessed first hand the Thai police just standing back and letting the volunteer police get on with it, in that situation if someone dies, i.e the volunteer or the person being talked to or arrested, how do the volunteers stand legally. before any volunteer can take there place throughout the world, they are vetted, does that happen here, what training do they get, do they know there limitations, is there a written guide line book they have to follow, again i witnessed a arrest by the volunteer police and i agree it must be forceful but done with the correct procedures and techniques, having been a cadet and security consultant in the late 90's i was horrified at the restraining techniques and what we call passive communication, it was just a head lock and a shut up, and to boot the lad was proven not to be involved in any disturbance. also the traffic volunteer police, i witnessed only the other night in patong a farang volunteer on a motor bike what i can only call, hurdle down the road after a thai lad who'd skipped off by turning around for having no helmet. can the volunteer motor bike police arrest somebody or could the Thai guy just say bugger off and ride off. i know they do a good job and should be applauded for there interaction with the farang and Thai community, but i'm always weary of Volunteers that exceed there powers, the good doers

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to a Canadian guy about a year ago who got busted with about a quarter of a joint in a Rawaii rd stop. he was falsely reported as an Australian in the Phuket gazette. All though he admitted his crime he was extremely angry at the volunteer police officer that is all ways hanging around Chalong police station. The Canadian claims the guy was rough with the cuffs and the Thai cops even told the volunteer to chill out.

Im not sure what bearing this has on the forum as i dont know either of the guys powers or rights. The Chalong volunteer has never been helpful to me when i have been there on minor traffic matters and other crap.....i just see him smoking cigarettes out the front of the cop shop and im suprised he can stand up with the amount of Buddhas hanging around his neck. I think i might have even seen him in a tweeked up corolla with sirens on the top too....all though i dont think I would stop if I saw him trying to pull me over rolleyes.gif

I was talking to a Canadian guy about a year ago who got busted with about a quarter of a joint in a Rawaii rd stop. he was falsely reported as an Australian in the Phuket gazette. All though he admitted his crime he was extremely angry at the volunteer police officer that is all ways hanging around Chalong police station. The Canadian claims the guy was rough with the cuffs and the Thai cops even told the volunteer to chill out.

Im not sure what bearing this has on the forum as i dont know either of the guys powers or rights. The Chalong volunteer has never been helpful to me when i have been there on minor traffic matters and other crap.....i just see him smoking cigarettes out the front of the cop shop and im suprised he can stand up with the amount of Buddhas hanging around his neck. I think i might have even seen him in a tweeked up corolla with sirens on the top too....all though i dont think I would stop if I saw him trying to pull me over rolleyes.gif

Seen him !! Wot a plonker laugh.gif

The canadian or the volunteer ??? whistling.gif

Every farang tourist cop I have ever met in Thailand has been a complete w*nker ! I can't help but feel embarrassed for them. They sort of remind me of boy scout leaders !

THIs IS <deleted>.... i know one guy whos now in his 70s and been involved not only the TOURIST police but the GOMS and the :annoyed: LIONS....he has more knowledge and experianc on this island of PHUKET,THAN MOST POEPLE I KNOW...AND REMEMBER ...they only give ADVICE and thats all it is,they are MEDIATORS only

:)

aaahhh here we go. Good old envy bashing again by the disaffected.

The couple of guys I know casually who are volunteers do it to give something back to the community they have lived in for quite considerable periods of time with their families. They both are married with kids and have successful small businesses in Phuket. They appear to be normal, well adjusted guys and the contacts that they make within the Thai community through doing the volunteering would no doubt help them out in their business dealings and day to day life on the island. They are both pretty "low key" kind of guys who just get on with their lives and are not at all "walter mitty" or "rambo" types.

The volunteers i see in immigration can be quite helpful, I just wish they would help sort out a ticketing system so people can sit in peace and wait instead of hovering around near the entrance praying that you will be servedrolleyes.gif

Volunteer police. I can't take the smirk off my face everytime I see one. It appears you can live every dream you wanna be in Thailand. A stud, A Wise guy, A Rocky, well it's unlimited, and now you can even "MAKE MY DAY"...... lmao.

It's been a couple of years since I worked as a volunteer in Phuket, but I'm pretty sure that the rules in force then still apply now. I only talk about foreign volunteer tourist police, not Thai volunteers. Bear in mind that the volunteers at the immigration office fall under the responsibility of a different department from the tourist police.

The volunteer's role to assist non-Thais (ie tourists and expats), wherever they may need assistance, such as any involvement with the Thai police, accidents/hospitals, general information and assistance. Their role is not to 'police' Thai nationals

They have no powers of arrest. They can use 'reasonable' restraint where it is necessary, (just as any other citizen can use similar restraint where it is necessary at an incident, such as a drunk person fighting etc)

I do not think they have any public liability insurance or medical cover - this is provided to salaried, Thai police, but not available to volunteers.

The application process includes vetting/criminal records check etc.

Initial and ongoing training is provided on a range of subjects, from traffic control to CPR and restriant techniques.

Each volunteer has a written set of guidelines, and when I worked as a volunteer, we were required to carry a copy of these when on duty.

Now, if you see volunteers not adhering to the above, (and I am sure you will), then clearly the rules/guidelines have been broken. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with those in charge of these volunteers to continually monitor the actions of each volunteer, to investigate any complaints made against them, and to remove any volunteers who fail to maintain an acceptable standard of behaviour.

I do not think Buddha images were part of the foreign volunteer 'dress code'

I would urge anyone who sees what they consider to be unacceptable behaviour by a foreign police volunteer to report this to the tourist police office in Phuket Town.

Simon

Edited by simon43

I was a member of the VTP for a short period, I joined because i wanted to give something back to Thailand

as i spend most of my time here and no work permit is required

I understood when i joined it was about assisting tourists in disputes etc but it did not work out that way so i resigned

I met some great guys there, but i also met some of the other type, you cannot tar everyone with the same brush.

When i was a member you had little or no authority but things may have changed

It's been a couple of years since I worked as a volunteer in Phuket, but I'm pretty sure that the rules in force then still apply now. I only talk about foreign volunteer tourist police, not Thai volunteers. Bear in mind that the volunteers at the immigration office fall under the responsibility of a different department from the tourist police.

The volunteer's role to assist non-Thais (ie tourists and expats), wherever they may need assistance, such as any involvement with the Thai police, accidents/hospitals, general information and assistance. Their role is not to 'police' Thai nationals

They have no powers of arrest. They can use 'reasonable' restraint where it is necessary, (just as any other citizen can use similar restraint where it is necessary at an incident, such as a drunk person fighting etc)

I do not think they have any public liability insurance or medical cover - this is provided to salaried, Thai police, but not available to volunteers.

Initial and ongoing training is provided on a range of subjects, from traffic control to CPR and restriant techniques.

Each volunteer has a written set of guidelines, and when I worked as a volunteer, we were required to carry a copy of these when on duty.

Now, if you see volunteers not adhering to the above, (and I am sure you will), then clearly the rules/guidelines have been broken. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with those in charge of these volunteers to continually monitor the actions of each volunteer, to investigate any complaints made against them, and to remove any volunteers who fail to maintain an acceptable standard of behaviour.

I would urge anyone who sees what they consider to be unacceptable behaviour by a foreign police volunteer to report this to the tourist police office in Phuket Town.

Simon

Yeah mate go check him out next time your at chalong police station paying a ticket...(or even make up an excuse to go look) he has more buddhas around his neck than most tuk tuk drivers. In fact I would go so far as to say he has the most buddhas I have seen donned on a falang jap.gif

Lol - the volunteer !!! - he happens to be Swedish ( sorry to all Swedish on Island), he appears to have more things around his belt than a serving SAS soilder. !!!!!biggrin.gif

Edited by terak69

Tourist Police Volunteers, more foreigners than Thais, to assist and guide tourists/foreigners

Marine Police Volunteers, more Thais than foreigners

Highwaypolice Volunteers, more Thais than foreigners

Local Police Volunteers, not many around

Immigration Police Volunteers, foreigners assisting at Immigration offices

Different Police forces, different tasks.

The volunteers i see in immigration can be quite helpful, I just wish they would help sort out a ticketing system so people can sit in peace and wait instead of hovering around near the entrance praying that you will be servedrolleyes.gif

I asked why they do not use it when I was there and the reply was that the immigration officers do not know when/how to press button on desk for next customer !!! Talk about teaching monkey's unsure.gif

I've personally had nothing but good experiences with the Immigrations volunteers in P-Town. These guys are helpful, polite, and have made my sessions at Immigrations go quickly and smoothly on many occasions.

And I give them high marks for patience too, considering some of the crude and rude farangs they have to deal with. whistling.gif

Hey; slow-down: don't you ever call a Canadian a "Plonker", or I'll send the Volunteer Cops after ya' ! !

Edited by LivinginKata
quotes repaired

I have talked with this swedish guy on several occasions, and I do not think he is a Police Volunteer with a Police ID card, just a policestation hang around.

Proper Police Volunteers have Police ID cards/numbers

Every farang tourist cop I have ever met in Thailand has been a complete w*nker ! I can't help but feel embarrassed for them. They sort of remind me of boy scout leaders !

:lol: So true, bunch of losers. Wannabee coppers. Like going out of an evening wearing costumes. Strutting about like a special forces unit :lol:

I know a couple of them & they are decent blokes. I was going to put this question on TV but this thread is appropriate - The other day I saw a brand new black Fortuner c/w flash mags (very nice vehicle) & it looked like some flashing LED lights on the front grille plus one of those car satellite dishes on the top. The front & back windows both had TOURIST POLICE "Assistant" written on them which begs the question of whether or not this is an official police vehicle or belongs to a volunteer & if the latter it is a bit over the top.

There's loads of comments about this guy on the thread relating to the above incident.

I believe he is disliked by all the other volunteer police and seems to have his own agenda. He's a volunteer at Chalong, not with the tourist police so maybe works to a slightly different set of rules.

Thanks for that simon43 (tonight tonight), if the training is given as you say then although it's to Thai standards at least guide lines and protocols are seen to be in place. do you think as a ex volunteer police then and now the volunteer police stray away from there mandate and do you think abuses of power or being done on a daily bases. i say this because any corrupt law enforcer normally will turn a blind eye to abuses by fellow law enforcers, volunteers or other. can you breakdown even more the volunteers police role and powers. i still think to give up there own time and energy still needs commended, i just worry as the cynical ones out there in TV land that it's a ego trip.partytime2.gif

Simon

There's loads of comments about this guy on the thread relating to the above incident.

I believe he is disliked by all the other volunteer police and seems to have his own agenda. He's a volunteer at Chalong, not with the tourist police so maybe works to a slightly different set of rules.

One of lifes cruelest tricks. People can be so inadequate, so retarded and hated, yet they wake up as happy as a pig in $hit every day. Us normal people have to work a bit harder for our happiness.

Ignorance is bliss, as they say. :(

One of lifes cruelest tricks. People can be so inadequate, so retarded and hated, yet they wake up as happy as a pig in $hit every day. Us normal people have to work a bit harder for our happiness.

Ignorance is bliss, as they say. :(

I bet the swedish volunteer cop aint as happy as mebiggrin.gif..he has an expression that he looks like he swallowed draino every day...i think he may actually feel compelled to do it. Rent-a-free-cop? He is screaming for acceptance and friends amongst the thai folk...the uniform, the car with sirens and the buddhas....my god!

Hi KBB, regarding the highway police volunteers what powers do they have, is it just in a passive and help the traffic move on way or can they actually stop and ask to see licences or pull someone over for non helmet wearing, could they go as far as to inspect a vehicle for road worthiness, of coarse it would have to be a spluttering shed on wheels.again i can see this being a grey area and open to abuse by the vehicle owner not the volunteer police, i.e you know a certain vehicle shouldn't be on the road but you are powerless to in pound it. puts another slant on the issue

Tourist Police Volunteers, more foreigners than Thais, to assist and guide tourists/foreigners

Marine Police Volunteers, more Thais than foreigners

Highwaypolice Volunteers, more Thais than foreigners

Local Police Volunteers, not many around

Immigration Police Volunteers, foreigners assisting at Immigration offices

Different Police forces, different tasks.

Edited by ukfriend