Can I Drive My Car In Malaysia? What Do I Need?

buzzer

Hi,

I would like to make a driving-tour through Malaysia. I was wondering if I need anything other than my valid Thai drivers license. My car is fully paid off, I'm sure they will want to see the ownership 'blue book' (or photocopies, and my current insurance documentation.

I tried to search the ThaiVisa site before posting this, and didn't find anything conclusive. One post had some info from 2004, but things can change a lot since 2004. That post said I would need a translated license plate, If so, I assume they would want translations of all the documents.

Can someone who has driven to Malaysia with similar documentation give me the latest information. I'd hate to be delayed at the border to go through a bunch of paperwork. If I can prepare things in advance, it would make things run a lot smoother.

Thanks,

Buzzer

If blue book is in your name ok if not need the person to travel or a letter from that person authorizing use. You will have to purchase insurance at the crossing for travel inside Malaysia even though you have insurance for Thai. window tint/film has to be a certain % not sure what also need to attach english version of number plate front and back it can be in sticker form. Apart from that it's pretty simple, road are excellent to Penang.

A friend has a car on finance and was wondering if it was possible for him to drive it to Penang rather than take the mini bus ? Some people are saying yes some are saying definitely no. Cheers :D

It would be nice to know for sure one way or the other

A friend has a car on finance and was wondering if it was possible for him to drive it to Penang rather than take the mini bus ? Some people are saying yes some are saying definitely no. Cheers :D

It would be nice to know for sure one way or the other

No is the answer to this question and as to insurance, your Thai insurance is invalid outside Thailand.

No is the answer to this question and as to insurance, your Thai insurance is invalid outside Thailand.

Is the insurance you buy in Malaysia temporary, and priced accordingly? What about window tinting? I don't have too much, but what the Malaysian authorities consider 'too much' and what I consider to be too much might be vastly different. Also, my car is actually a 12 passenger mini-bus, and has curtains and a higher level of tinting on the side windows, I believe. Any comments?

Thanks again!

Is the insurance you buy in Malaysia temporary, and priced accordingly? What about window tinting? I don't have too much, but what the Malaysian authorities consider 'too much' and what I consider to be too much might be vastly different. Also, my car is actually a 12 passenger mini-bus, and has curtains and a higher level of tinting on the side windows, I believe. Any comments?

Thanks again!

We can only answer the insurance question - and this is general to all countries surrounding Thailand. The insurance you are offered at the borders is similar to the CTPL you already have here in Thailand. It is very cheap and similar to the CTPL here has extremely low benefits i.e. do not get into an accident with just this basic insurance !

One buys it for the length of time required.

Thanks again!

We can only answer the insurance question - and this is general to all countries surrounding Thailand. The insurance you are offered at the borders is similar to the CTPL you already have here in Thailand. It is very cheap and similar to the CTPL here has extremely low benefits i.e. do not get into an accident with just this basic insurance !

Yes, it's so nice to have insurance that gives you no assurance..

Well, amazing how confusing the replies are on this subject.

a1) The car must be registered in the driver's or one of the passengers name or

a2) the driver has to provide a power of attorney (download the form from the DLT-website) allowing him/her to use the car

B) The car needs an "International Transport Permit" booklet (purple in colour) and available at the DLT's offices of the district capitals (Amphoe Muang of the Changwat) AND international Thai plates. The are written completely in English (in my case it reads XX-0000 and on the next line "THAILAND" next to "01" (which stands for Bangkok)

c) on passing into another country (Lao PDR or Malaysia) you are STRONGLY advised to purchase a temporary insurance (in Laos get AGL for a day, a week, a month, six months or a year) at a nominal fee

d) you will need an International Driver's License of the country you are from - or if a resident of Thailand - a local driving license (credit card format in both Thai and English featuring "Kingdom of Thailand" on the top. This license (initially issued twice in a row for a validity of one year each and thereafter renewable every five years) is accepted all over ASEAN; provided the country allows non-locals to drive (prohibited in i.e. Vietnam and Myanmar).

Everything else calls for trouble. Presently you can enter with a Thai-registered car and above identification/permit work to Lao PDR, Malaysia and Singapore. A driving permit (car must be left hand driven) is available at USD 150 for S.R. Vietnam; legal paperwork for Cambodia costs USD 750 (irrespective of left/right hand drive). All other suggestions are illegal and can put you in tremendous trouble (illegal entry into Cambodia is possible but wait and see what happens in case of an accident; if they nick your car, then forget about compensation). In Myanmar you get arrested on the spot and the car is impounded and you can leave only upon payment of import duties on your (never to be seen again) car.

Happy driving

Car is in my name, but my name is written in Thai Language. (the took it over from my tabien baan).

Do I than need a translation of the blue book?

or is this "International Transport Permit" booklet enough?

I think the english "plates" (only sticker), will be available at the border?

Edited by roban

Well, amazing how confusing the replies are on this subject.

a2) the driver has to provide a power of attorney (download the form from the DLT-website) allowing him/her to use the car

B) The car needs an "International Transport Permit" booklet (purple in colour) and available at the DLT's offices of the district capitals (Amphoe Muang of the Changwat) AND international Thai plates. The are written completely in English (in my case it reads XX-0000 and on the next line "THAILAND" next to "01" (which stands for Bangkok)

c) on passing into another country (Lao PDR or Malaysia) you are STRONGLY advised to purchase a temporary insurance (in Laos get AGL for a day, a week, a month, six months or a year) at a nominal fee

d) you will need an International Driver's License of the country you are from - or if a resident of Thailand - a local driving license (credit card format in both Thai and English featuring "Kingdom of Thailand" on the top. This license (initially issued twice in a row for a validity of one year each and thereafter renewable every five years) is accepted all over ASEAN; provided the country allows non-locals to drive (prohibited in i.e. Vietnam and Myanmar).

Everything else calls for trouble. Presently you can enter with a Thai-registered car and above identification/permit work to Lao PDR, Malaysia and Singapore. A driving permit (car must be left hand driven) is available at USD 150 for S.R. Vietnam; legal paperwork for Cambodia costs USD 750 (irrespective of left/right hand drive). All other suggestions are illegal and can put you in tremendous trouble (illegal entry into Cambodia is possible but wait and see what happens in case of an accident; if they nick your car, then forget about compensation). In Myanmar you get arrested on the spot and the car is impounded and you can leave only upon payment of import duties on your (never to be seen again) car.

Happy driving

Thanks Sydebolle, fot the in-depth answers. I'm wondering, because I both registered the car, and had my driver's license issued in in Chonburi, if I would have to go there with my car to do all the necessary work regarding translating of license and plates, and power of attorney? My car is in Samui, but I'm presently in BKK, so going to Chonburi is no big deal, taking my car there is. Also, I'm a retiree, with a non-immigrant "O" visa. I have been a 'resident' of Thailand for over 7 years. Would this allow me to use my Thai license w/o an International DL ? Also do you know the url for the DLT website? Sorry if some of these questions seem simple, but I don't want any hassles when I get to the Malaysia border - and I was thinking of possibly going to Singapore, so knowing about the Right-hand drive rule is very helpful.

Thanks,

Buzzer

Hallo,

from my point of view it depends how many risks you are prepared to take.

I have been several (!) times to Penang (via Sadao) in a car NOT in my name and I had none of the papers/license plates mentioned in the other posts. And I was NOT asked any questions at the border to Malaysia. It means you can drive "just like that".

But again I would like to point out that in case of an emergency, theft, accident or similar you might be in (big?!) trouble.

Please remember the regulation regarding the fuel. As far as I know a car with Thai license plate is not allowed to refuel at a certain radius behind the border (due to subsidised fuel in Malaysia).

Hallo,

I have been several (!) times to Penang (via Sadao) in a car NOT in my name and I had none of the papers/license plates mentioned in the other posts. And I was NOT asked any questions at the border to Malaysia. It means you can drive "just like that".

But again I would like to point out that in case of an emergency, theft, accident or similar you might be in (big?!) trouble.

Please remember the regulation regarding the fuel. As far as I know a car with Thai license plate is not allowed to refuel at a certain radius behind the border (due to subsidised fuel in Malaysia).

My plan is to explore Malaysia, hopefully using my own vehicle. So, I need to go fully prepared. The only thing that would keep this from happening is to know if I would have to drive the long trip to Chonburi first, and whether my visa and drivers license would permit it. I think a trip to the Malaysian Embassay might help. If I have to deal with the DLT, I need to find out from them first whether I need to drive to Chonburi.

Thanks for all the info,

Buzzer

We did the trip back in 2008. Here is our experience:

Note, I've driven to Laos also, and the purple international permit IS NOT required for going to Malaysia.

What you'll need is a letter from the Department of Land Transport which will provide a 'romanised' translation of your Thai number plate.

I suggest that the process you'll need to take will be similar to mine.

All the best, it is a great trip!

Thanks again!

The minimum period for insurance is 30 days even if you only intend to be in Malaysia for 7 days.

Car is in my name, but my name is written in Thai Language. (the took it over from my tabien baan).

The translated sticker plates are not available at the border.

Hallo,

You cannot cross the border without a sticker depicting the translation of the Thai plate. You would be extremely foolish to cross the border without first having purchased third party insurance from a Malay broker at Sadao. You do have to have the car papers in your name or at the very least an authoristion letter from the owner giving you permission to take the car over the border.

Hallo,

You cannot cross the border without a sticker depicting the translation of the Thai plate. You would be extremely foolish to cross the border without first having purchased third party insurance from a Malay broker at Sadao. You do have to have the car papers in your name or at the very least an authoristion letter from the owner giving you permission to take the car over the border.

Hi,

For my part I'm planning on doing everything 100% legal. I still don't know where to get a translation of the license plate.

Thanks,

Buzzer

Hallo,

Hi,

For my part I'm planning on doing everything 100% legal. I still don't know where to get a translation of the license plate.

Thanks,

Buzzer

As I said in my previous post, you get it done at the department of land transport - who do a letter for you.

At the border, the insurance guys will produce the sticker plates for you to put on the bumper bars.

As I said in my previous post, you get it done at the department of land transport - who do a letter for you.

At the border, the insurance guys will produce the sticker plates for you to put on the bumper bars.

The website for DLT offers a British Flag (for English) website, Clicking on this delivers you to the Thai Language site. There is something that describes itself as a portal, which leads you to an English site seemingly for the DLT.

This seems to suggest that there is only one DLT, and they are located in Bangkok. So, it seems I either have to go to Samui to get my Blue Book, or bring the vehicle itself to Bangkok to get the necessary paperwork done. Anyway, I think I'll have to contact them on Monday to find out what hoops they want me to jump through.

Thanks again,

Buzzer

Hallo,

Hi,

Thanks,

Buzzer

Wrong! This has nothing to do with the Department of Land Transport or the Malay insurance brokers. The sticker translation can be done by any shop capable of producing a sticker of the length and width required. Essentialy the sticker should match in size the original plate size.

Wrong! This has nothing to do with the Department of Land Transport or the Malay insurance brokers. The sticker translation can be done by any shop capable of producing a sticker of the length and width required. Essentialy the sticker should match in size the original plate size.

I think we are talking about slightly different things. Of course, anyone can produce the stickers. Just that the guys at the border would know what to make them look like (unlike say, someone at MBK who probably wouldn't have a clue!). For the OP, they make them to resemble Malaysian number plates (black background, white writing).

What I was referring to was the letter you get from the DLT before you leave. It is an official letter from the DLT which romanises your number plate as well as has the cars 'vital statistics' on it.

As I wrote on this thread:

Once through customs, you will note on the right some shops where you can buy insurance. This is where the letter from the Thai Department of Land Transport comes into use. You give this to the insurance guys, and for 800 baht, will issue a (minimum) 1 month 3rd party insurance.

They'll use the letter to produce a license plate sticker, which you stick on the front and back bumper bar of your car.

With the insurance paid for, you head next door to the Malaysian version of the department of land transport. You hand over to insurance letter, the Thai Dept of Land Transport letter, your Thai drivers license, and you'll be issued with a road tax like sticker to put on your front windscreen.

As you know, without that Malaysian road tax sticker you won't get past the police checkpoint that sits about 500m past the border at Bukit Kayu Hitam on the Malaysian side.

I think we are talking about slightly different things. Of course, anyone can produce the stickers. Just that the guys at the border would know what to make them look like (unlike say, someone at MBK who probably wouldn't have a clue!). For the OP, they make them to resemble Malaysian number plates (black background, white writing).

What I was referring to was the letter you get from the DLT before you leave. It is an official letter from the DLT which romanises your number plate as well as has the cars 'vital statistics' on it.

As I wrote on this thread:

http://www.thaivisa....ng-to-malaysia/

Once through customs, you will note on the right some shops where you can buy insurance. This is where the letter from the Thai Department of Land Transport comes into use. You give this to the insurance guys, and for 800 baht, will issue a (minimum) 1 month 3rd party insurance.

They'll use the letter to produce a license plate sticker, which you stick on the front and back bumper bar of your car.

With the insurance paid for, you head next door to the Malaysian version of the department of land transport. You hand over to insurance letter, the Thai Dept of Land Transport letter, your Thai drivers license, and you'll be issued with a road tax like sticker to put on your front windscreen.

As you know, without that Malaysian road tax sticker you won't get past the police checkpoint that sits about 500m past the border at Bukit Kayu Hitam on the Malaysian side.

I still say wrong. The vital statistics of the car can be entered into the computer at the Thai side of the border after which a printout is issued for signing off and stamping by immigration. At the Malay border point they are not interested in car documents only the relevant passport information entered onto the entry card. Your problem starts about 3 klics (not 500 metres) from the border where there is a permanent checkpoint on vehicles heading south. I would say that 8 out of 10 cars will be pulled to the side of the road for a more detailed inspection of documentation and whats in the boot of the car. The most important document that they look for is the insurance for Malaysia, they will of course check passports etc. but providing these documents are in order you will be waved on.

No need to translate the book.

IME it is needed for the Thais to sign the car out of Thailand correctly,

so you can bring it back later.

Mallyrd

Please go back and read the entire thread which I linked - which obviosuly works as I did it and countless others who have PM'ed me since I posted it can attest to.

I'm sure if you read my thread in its entirely you'll see I also refer to a form which the Thai side of the border can produce for you.

But I am sure you'll see fit to nitpick that as well.

Mallyrd

Please go back and read the entire thread which I linked - which obviosuly works as I did it and countless others who have PM'ed me since I posted it can attest to.

I'm sure if you read my thread in its entirely you'll see I also refer to a form which the Thai side of the border can produce for you.

But I am sure you'll see fit to nitpick that as well.

There is no intention to nit-pick. I live in Songkhla and for a couple of years I worked in Alor Setar so the border crossing was done at least 2 or 3 times a week. At the time I was doing these runs there was no need to have romanised stick on number plates.

Edited by mallyrd

Hi,

I need to add another question, to make sure I have all my 'i's' dotted and my 't's' crossed.

Is there any requirement for child safety seats in Malaysia? I feel the answer is no, but I need to make sure. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks,

Buzzer

Hi,

I need to add another question, to make sure I have all my 'i's' dotted and my 't's' crossed.

Is there any requirement for child safety seats in Malaysia? I feel the answer is no, but I need to make sure. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks,

Buzzer

No offence, but that is a question you really need to ask? They are a precious cargo, and whether there is a law or not, I would have thought that you'd have an appropriate car seat for their safety....

Hi,

Thanks,

Buzzer

No offence, but that is a question you really need to ask? They are a precious cargo, and whether there is a law or not, I would have thought that you'd have an appropriate car seat for their safety....

The first thing I did was buy a car safety seat for the 1st born. Her parents (Thai) tried to use it once. That was it. If they were my kids, they would certainly be in car seats. But not my kids, not my rules!