O-A Long Stay Visa

I am trying to get my documents notarised. The notaries I've contacted do not seem to clearly now what to do.

Thai Consulate in Canberra (the one in Perth Shut down) ask for '4 sets of documents to be bound and notarised by the notary'

Can anyone who recently did this process tell me exactly what the notary did with their doc's

Many thanks

Sam

It's so much easier to get a one year extension of stay based on retirement in Thailand. All you need is a non-immigrant visa, be at least 50 years old, and have your 800,000 baht on deposit in Thailand for 2 months or a 65,000 baht per month pension letter from your embassy or a combination of cash in a Thai bank plus pension totaling 800,000 baht per year.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Before you go to anymore trouble double check with the Consulate that you want to deal with and make sure that they really require the documents to be notarized

Sometimes the Consulates just lift the requirements right off of the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) website but really don't enforce the notary requirements

Consulates and Embassies throughout the world have a lot of leeway in what they must require

My personal experience, with the Embassy in Washington D.C. and the Consulate in New York, is neither enforced the notary requirement and so far no one has questioned the 4 OA (Long Stay) visas issued by them

I concur with the above sentiments, check with the consulate by email or call them to ensure what's actually required, or go the extend in Thailand route which requires so much less paperwork (and a cheaper visa to start too).

My original 12-month visa was of the O-A type applied for in Canada. The notarized documents (unlike some of the experiences above) were in fact specifically asked for by the Thai Consulate in Vancouver.

The notarization process (by a Notary Public or a lawyer) is simply a verification that you are who you say you are, and that the signature on your documents is yours. The whole process took about 10 minutes. Not sure why your notary public had a problem with it ... notarizing documents is a pretty standard operation for them.

You could ~ and probably should ~ double check with the Thai Consulate or Embassy that they expect (or not) the notarization. It'd be smart not to simply go with others' experiences on this (including mine) but better to get it right from the Most Important Source. If your O-A document package is not complete they'll send it back to you ... a big waste of time.

Although I went the 'O-A' route, the the comment made above about applying for your 12-month visa within Thailand (i.e. the 'O' route) is a good one as the number of hoops needed to be jumped through are fewer, and less costly (e.g. Notary Public or lawyer is not particularly cheap).

Edited by nongkhai

My original 12-month visa was of the O-A type applied for in Canada. The notarized documents (unlike some of the experiences above) were in fact specifically asked for by the Thai Consulate in Vancouver.

The notarization process (by a Notary Public or a lawyer) is simply a verification that you are who you say you are, and that the signature on your documents is yours. The whole process took about 10 minutes. Not sure why your notary public had a problem with it ... notarizing documents is a pretty standard operation for them.

Same here for documents to Thai Consulate-General in Vancouver. Done very quickly and easily in my bank, where several people had notary or commissioner of oaths authority.

Same here for documents to Thai Consulate-General in Vancouver. Done very quickly and easily in my bank, where several people had notary or commissioner of oaths authority.

Hi All, I had exactly the same question about what the notarial certificates should say. I am planning to apply for an O-A visa. The Thai govt. website instructions clearly say the medical certificate and the police certificate (re no criminal record) have to be notarized. To me (and I am a lawyer/notary myself) this makes little sense because if they are original documents from third parties (doctor; police) there is nothing for a notary to say, as far as I can see. Normally a notary will attest to the identity of a signatory (which they can't do if they don't know the doctor/police) or attest that a copy of a document is a true copy, which is irrelevant if the document is an original. So I'm still a bit perplexed what people have got in past for those particular documents. Any insights?

TG

Thanks for all the replys. I'm having trouble getting a definate response from Thai Consulate.

interesting that a qualified lawyer/notary is finding requirements a bit puzzeling.

I realise I may not be clear explaining what I want to know. I'll try again.

They ask for: 1. A passport, 2. 4 Visa Application Form, 3. A Personal Data Form, 4. A copy of a bank statement ..or an income certificate. 5. A letter of guarantee from the bank 6. Police Clearance, and 7. Medical certificate. These documents are to be copied and made into four sets. Then taken to Notary public, binding and notarize each set.

Do each of these doc's in each set have to be notarised? I got a quote of AUS 400 for the job.

Sorry this is a bit long-winded. Appreciate any suggestions.

Sam

The difficulty in getting any notary to notarize these documents is the reason that many Embassies and Consulates don't enforce the MFA requirement

They realize that a notary cannot notarize a document that was not signed in front of them

Do they really expect you to have a notary follow you to the clinic where you get the Medical Certificate, or to the Police Station where you get the Criminal records check, etc.

Fortunately most Embassies and Consulates are in sync with the countries they are based in and take that into consideration when setting their requirements

The only solution to this conundrum, IMHO, is to write a statement yourself stating that you have obtained the attached documents (then list them) and you are certifying in front of the notary that they are the original documents you received from the relevant agencies. The notary could then certify your signature on that document

Regarding the comments about notorizing police and medical reports . . . that wasn't asked of me.

It's my understanding that it's your signature on the Thai Immigration documents which needs notorization.

That is what the Consulate told me, and that's what they got: then, a few days later, visa approved.

Edited by nongkhai

Advantages of O-A:

Not need money in a Thai bank untill your annual extension in Thailand.

You are free to decide when you actually leave for Thailand.( no time pressure)

Entering Thailand gives you a 365 days stamp.(plenty of time to arrange bank account-place to live-internet connection)

Arranging your move of house holds(?),knowing to have a annual visa already.

Plenty of time in your home country or country of residence to make all kind of arrangments and collect all different documents.

From the MFA website

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

If you read the MFA regulation you will see how stupid it is since no country will have a diplomatic or consular mission in their own country , so most Consulates and Embassies disregard this requirement

In the case of Thailand it is the MFA. In the case of the USA it is The Department of State. In both cases they have facilities to legalize home country document for outside there country use. Suspect all countries have an official legalization process as part of the diplomatic service that could be used and accepted by Thailand. But in most cases the simply notary service would be easier.

From the MFA website

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission).

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission).

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category 'O-A' (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category 'O' visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission.

If you read the MFA regulation you will see how stupid it is since no country will have a diplomatic or consular mission in their own country , so most Consulates and Embassies disregard this requirement

Having just done this last July (2010), I can comment a bit.

First, the Consular officials are, after all, Thai, and have the freedom to make things up as they go along (within reason). In my case, at the Royal Thai Consulate General, Los Angeles, there was a new farang in charge of interfacing with applicants, who was extremely helpful, and went out of his way to clarify the ambiguous, even downright incorrect info that was posted on their 'website'.

Previously, contrary to their own government's rules, they were refusing to issue multiple-entry non-immigrant O-A visa under ANY circumstances. It took a meeting with the then newly installed Consul General, during which I made him aware of this (and other) problems with the process, to get things back on track. Two weeks later, the website was changed.

Regarding the notarizations required:

1) the police report (in my case the County Sheriff did it) had, as an option on the application form, 'NOTARIZED COPY'. It was US$50, and the instructions specified the type of report as "Certificate of Good Conduct (for purposes of obtaining a foreign visa)". Accepted by Thai Consulate.

2) the medical report was the downloaded form from the Thai Consulate's website, filled out, and signed by my doctor. No additional tests/costs, affirmed by her knowledge of my health status. I had our office manager notarize it, affirming my identity only. Accepted by Thai Consulate.

3) the financial statements were the most difficult, but only because I don't bank with brick-and-mortar institutions. My 401(k) account was deemed applicable, and getting Fidelity to issue a simple letter, stating that I was their customer, and that my balance exceeded [800,000 baht], was like pulling teeth, because they are phone drones. Once I got through to a manager, the letter was issued, and again notarized locally, affirming my identity. The real issue here, is that the websites of the Embassy, all the Consuls, and the MFA all say 'bank guarantee'; in reality just the simple letter stating that I was a customer, and my balance exceeded the requirement (and a printout of my statement from the web), was all that was required. This was asked and answered by the kind farang at the Consulate. Accepted by Thai Consulate.

So, as proof of the pudding, I am here, halfway through my first year on my O-A visa; in July, I will do a border run, get another year, get a re-entry permit, and, just about the time when Social Security is ready to pay me, I'll convert to Extension of Stay, based on combination of income and savings (no seasoning required), and Robert will be my Uncle.

It always amazes me that, rather than answer someone's question, or at least, keep quiet, there are always so many so eager to question whether the OP REALLY wants an answer to his question. Instead, gratuitous opinions are offered about whether a DIFFERENT approach would be better. This isn't, IMO, much better than the dolts who take the time to post "I don't know", to questions directed to the forum, as a whole.

This thread has veered off a couple of times. I hope the OP has gotten something useful from the pertinent posts.

Oh, and one last piece of advice: call the Consulate/Embassy to which you are applying. There may be a kind soul at the other end to help.

From the MFA website

.... So, as proof of the pudding, I am here, halfway through my first year on my O-A visa; in July, I will do a border run, get another year, get a re-entry permit, and, just about the time when Social Security is ready to pay me, I'll convert to Extension of Stay, based on combination of income and savings (no seasoning required), and Robert will be my Uncle.

Sateev, thanks for the informative post. Two newbie questions, if you don't mind, on the above part: Do you have to do a border run - i. e. can't you renew your O-A within Thailand? And please explain the conversion to Extension of Stay. What form of visa will that be based on if not the O-A, and why go that route instead of just renewing the O-A?

Cheers,

TG

From the MFA website

.... So, as proof of the pudding, I am here, halfway through my first year on my O-A visa; in July, I will do a border run, get another year, get a re-entry permit, and, just about the time when Social Security is ready to pay me, I'll convert to Extension of Stay, based on combination of income and savings (no seasoning required), and Robert will be my Uncle.

Sateev, thanks for the informative post. Two newbie questions, if you don't mind, on the above part: Do you have to do a border run - i. e. can't you renew your O-A within Thailand? And please explain the conversion to Extension of Stay. What form of visa will that be based on if not the O-A, and why go that route instead of just renewing the O-A?

Cheers,

TG

He has a multi entry O-A visa so any entry gets a new one year stay from entry time - thus he can get almost two years stay if makes a border crossing/return just before expiration of the actual visa. Second year requires a re-entry permit for any exit and will get stamped in for current permitted to stay time.

To re-new an O-A visa would require return to home country and same paperwork used before - you can not re-new (obtain another actually) within Thailand.

To extend your stay from the O-A or other non immigrant visa entry you visit immigration within the 30 days prior to expiration of stay and provide financials proof, address and perhaps a map or proof of back account information and fill out TM.7/attach 4x6cm photo and pay 1,900 baht. A new one year stay is approved immediately.

Oh, and one last piece of advice: call the Consulate/Embassy to which you are applying. There may be a kind soul at the other end to help.

Which is exactly what the OP was told to do in the third post

Pardon my redundancy. You are indeed wise for having caught it, and even more so for having pointed it out.wink.gif

If you read the MFA regulation you will see how stupid it is since no country will have a diplomatic or consular mission in their own country ,

LM, this is part and parcel of the overall misunderstanding that MFA has about obtaining a Non Imm O-A visa within Thailand. Some peon at MFA apparently heard that Immigration (as of a few years ago) could now offer Non Imm visas in-country. But, what Immigration offers are in-country conversions to a Non Imm visa (not a Non Imm O-A visa), solely as a conduit to a one-year extension. MFA, yawn, somehow concluded that, if you want to stay for one-year, and met the medical and police requirements as set forth at MFA consulates abroad, then, heck, just go visit the Bangkok Immigration Dept and apply for a Non Imm O-A visa. Oh, yeah, and since the police and medical reports need to be notarized, why not use your own in-Thailand embassy or consulate. ["notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission)."]

I believe we've already seen where Bangkok Immigration has received (laughingly, I hope) O-A applications, dutifully accompanied by medical and police reports; whereby they issue a one-year extension (since the O-A application met the same financial requirement, and the applicant already had a Non Imm visa). Oh, yeah, they ripped-up the medical and police reports, since, unlike MFA, they're not required by Immigration for one-year stays; hope not too much effort was spent on notarization.

Para 5.4 of MFA's O-A discussion does mention about getting the one-year extension from Immigration. This must have been written by someone other than the person who wrote para 3, who said go to Immigration for a O-A visa if you want to stay in Thailand for a year. Or, maybe, MFA believes the one-year extension is only for when the O-A visa you obtained in para 3 runs out.....

No wonder newbies on this forum are so confused.

If you read the MFA regulation you will see how stupid it is since no country will have a diplomatic or consular mission in their own country ,

LM, this is part and parcel of the overall misunderstanding that MFA has about obtaining a Non Imm O-A visa within Thailand. Some peon at MFA apparently heard that Immigration (as of a few years ago) could now offer Non Imm visas in-country. But, what Immigration offers are in-country conversions to a Non Imm visa (not a Non Imm O-A visa), solely as a conduit to a one-year extension. MFA, yawn, somehow concluded that, if you want to stay for one-year, and met the medical and police requirements as set forth at MFA consulates abroad, then, heck, just go visit the Bangkok Immigration Dept and apply for a Non Imm O-A visa. Oh, yeah, and since the police and medical reports need to be notarized, why not use your own in-Thailand embassy or consulate. ["notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission)."]

I believe we've already seen where Bangkok Immigration has received (laughingly, I hope) O-A applications, dutifully accompanied by medical and police reports; whereby they issue a one-year extension (since the O-A application met the same financial requirement, and the applicant already had a Non Imm visa). Oh, yeah, they ripped-up the medical and police reports, since, unlike MFA, they're not required by Immigration for one-year stays; hope not too much effort was spent on notarization.

Para 5.4 of MFA's O-A discussion does mention about getting the one-year extension from Immigration. This must have been written by someone other than the person who wrote para 3, who said go to Immigration for a O-A visa if you want to stay in Thailand for a year. Or, maybe, MFA believes the one-year extension is only for when the O-A visa you obtained in para 3 runs out.....

Hey Jim, thanks, that's helpful - although you're right, to this newbie the whole issue is very confusing! :) One point that would help me understand: when you get a one-year extension, what class of visa do you emerge with? If you go in with an O, do you emerge with an extended O? If you go in with an O-A, do you emerge with ... a regular O? (I guess this because it says above you can't get an extended O-A, have to get a new one if you want it). Finally, what if any advantage is there in getting an O-A at all, at any point?

Cheers

TG

LM, this is part and parcel of the overall misunderstanding that MFA has about obtaining a Non Imm O-A visa within Thailand. Some peon at MFA apparently heard that Immigration (as of a few years ago) could now offer Non Imm visas in-country. But, what Immigration offers are in-country conversions to a Non Imm visa (not a Non Imm O-A visa), solely as a conduit to a one-year extension. MFA, yawn, somehow concluded that, if you want to stay for one-year, and met the medical and police requirements as set forth at MFA consulates abroad, then, heck, just go visit the Bangkok Immigration Dept and apply for a Non Imm O-A visa. Oh, yeah, and since the police and medical reports need to be notarized, why not use your own in-Thailand embassy or consulate. ["notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission)."]

Hey Jim, thanks, that's helpful - although you're right, to this newbie the whole issue is very confusing! :) One point that would help me understand: when you get a one-year extension, what class of visa do you emerge with? If you go in with an O, do you emerge with an extended O? If you go in with an O-A, do you emerge with ... a regular O? (I guess this because it says above you can't get an extended O-A, have to get a new one if you want it). Finally, what if any advantage is there in getting an O-A at all, at any point?

Cheers

TG

You are not extending the visa, you are extending your permission to stay. At some point your visa may expire, but you would still be legal to stay. One advantge for some, your money can stay in your home country when you apply.

Main advantages of O-A --

you can show the money in Canada to start if you are using money rather than pension to qualify

you can get a "free extra year" by exiting and reentering Thailand before the O-A expires. For this great perk, you MUST get a multiple entry O-A.

After that you enter the retirement extension system.

Extending an O-A is an extension of an O-A. Extending an O is an extension of an O. There is no difference in status except for the label on the base visa. In other words, except for the one time bonus free year mentioned above, it doesn't make you more "special" in the eyes of immigration. With extensions, your passport will still be stamped RETIREMENT on extensions based on a regular O.

Bad parts --

O-A, more paperwork to apply (police/medical)

If they raise the financial requirements before your first annual extension done in Thailand, you won't be in the system in Thailand and would not be grandfathered under the current levels. Most likely, people in the system would be grandfathered based on historical precedent. Do you feel lucky?

Edited by Jingthing

Main advantages of O-A --

you can show the money in Canada to start if you are using money rather than pension to qualify

you can get a "free extra year" by exiting and reentering Thailand before the O-A expires. For this great perk, you MUST get a multiple entry O-A.

After that you enter the retirement extension system.

Extending an O-A is an extension of an O-A. Extending an O is an extension of an O. There is no difference in status except for the label on the base visa. In other words, except for the one time bonus free year mentioned above, it doesn't make you more "special" in the eyes of immigration. With extensions, your passport will still be stamped RETIREMENT on extensions based on a regular O.

Bad parts --

O-A, more paperwork to apply (police/medical)

If they raise the financial requirements before your first annual extension done in Thailand, you won't be in the system in Thailand and would not be grandfathered under the current levels. Most likely, people in the system would be grandfathered based on historical precedent. Do you feel lucky?

Thanks! I think the light is slowly starting to dawn ... Another point: the O-A forbids working. Is it the same with an O or any other retirement situation? Any possibility of being in the retirement system but also having a work permit?

TG

If you want to work you can look for work, but will have to change your immigration status in Thailand and possibly apply for a new visa in a neighboring country before you can get a work permit and start working.

You are not extending the visa, you are extending your permission to stay. At some point your visa may expire, but you would still be legal to stay. One advantge for some, your money can stay in your home country when you apply.

Slightly confusing... When you extend your stay for one-year by physically visiting Immigration, your money must be in a bank in Thailand (assuming you're not going solely the income route). It's only when you obtain a Non Imm O-A visa in your home country that the required money can be in your home bank (I'm sure beechguy knew that -- but it could be confusing to some as written.)

The euphemism "retirement visa," so loosely thrown around, is the source of most of the confusion when it's used in lieu of "extension of stay." All original 'extensions of stay' spring from one's last obtained Non Imm visa (suffix -- "O", "O-A" etc irrelevant)** This visa may have expired 20 years ago, and is located in one's long-expired passport. It's the chain of renewed annual extensions that matters. Break this chain, and it's back to square one of obtaining a Non Imm visa and the first annual extension of stay linked to that visa. That MFA -- and some consulates, like Hull -- actually state that Immigration will issue you a "retirement visa" certainly isn't helpful...

Preaching to the choir, I know. For the benefit of the new heathens reading this.....

** There is an exception for getting a one-year annual extension of stay without first having a Non Imm visa. This is for a Thai national, who enters on her farang passport. She can go directly to obtaining a one-year extension stamp in her farang passport, without first converting her tourist or visa-exempt entry to a Non Imm visa.

[quote name='JimGant'

The euphemism "retirement visa," so loosely thrown around, is the source of most of the confusion when it's used in lieu of "extension of stay." All original 'extensions of stay' spring from one's last obtained Non Imm visa (suffix -- "O", "O-A" etc irrelevant)** This visa may have expired 20 years ago, and is located in one's long-expired passport. It's the chain of renewed annual extensions that matters. Break this chain, and it's back to square one of obtaining a Non Imm visa and the first annual extension of stay linked to that visa. That MFA -- and some consulates, like Hull -- actually state that Immigration will issue you a "retirement visa" certainly isn't helpful...

The "A" of the Non Imm O-A stands for pre-approved.The Ministery of F.A. will ask the immigration to pre approve your visa request and you will get a 365 days stay upon arrival.

The word "retirement is stamped on the visa page as well as on all other extensions.

Edited by dutch

The Ministery of F.A. will ask the immigration to pre approve your visa request and you will get a 365 days stay upon arrival.

Immigration doesn't guarantee you'll receive any "permission of stay" (90 days, 60 days, 30 days, or 365 days) upon arrival at the border, regardless of what's suggested by the type of visa. No such "pre-approval" between Immigration and MFA exists -- Immigration has the last word on whether or not you get admitted -- and for how long. (Just ask the new American ambassador.)

The word "retirement is stamped on the visa page as well as on all other extension

And that makes it a "retirement visa?" My point is that you do not obtain a "retirement visa" within the borders of Thailand. Most of us understand the euphemism -- but for newbies, this misinformation is not helpful -- particularly if found on official Thai websites (that should know better).

Hi sam45

Should you decide to continue with your application within Australia --- I would suggest that you apply to the Brisbane consulate. Generally I have found them to be very helpful.

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

PHONE: +61-7-3846-7771

FAX: +61-7-3846-7772

EMAIL: [email protected]

OPENING HOURS:

9.30 AM - 2.00 PM Monday to Thursday

Some newbies don't understand that people on extensions based on retirement are considered the SAME way by immigration whether they started with an O-A or an O to get their first retirement extension. Of course the O-A is the only thing that is actually a retirement visa, but it is not needed to begin retirement status (with extensions). I feel many people hold a myth that starting with O-As is somehow more legitimate, so to speak (which it ain't).

Edited by Jingthing