Are You Waiting For A New Mobile Phone To Be Released In Thailand

ThaiLife

I'm in the market for a new smartphone and with so many choices its interesting trying to find your perfect phone .

I am waiting for the release in Thailand of several models I would like to try out . My list so far is ..

LG Optimus 2X

Samsung Galaxy S 2

Motorola ATRIX 4G

Samsung Infuse 4G

Acer Iconia Smart

Personally I am looking for a large screen . :D

Is any one else waiting for the release of a new mobile phone in Thailand ...... if so which models and why :)

I'm not sure that the Motorola Atrix 4G and Samsung (AT&T) Infuse 4G will ever be launched here in Thailand. There is a limited market for high-end smartphones, and the cost to localize a product are quite high. (There will be grey-market availability, obviously.) The Galaxy S2 will definitely be available here.

The Infuse looks like an AT&T version of the S2, although there is a difference (discrepancy?) in screen size, and some HW differences. Not sure why they don't just take the S2 as they did with the S-Captivate?

The Galaxy S2 definitely has the best screen of the models mentioned.

I'm not waiting; I already have the perfect phone: Samsung (AT&T) Captivate. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure that the Motorola Atrix 4G and Samsung (AT&T) Infuse 4G will ever be launched here in Thailand. There is a limited market for high-end smartphones, and the cost to localize a product are quite high. (There will be grey-market availability, obviously.) The Galaxy S2 will definitely be available here.

The Infuse looks like an AT&T version of the S2, although there is a difference (discrepancy?) in screen size, and some HW differences. Not sure why they don't just take the S2 as they did with the S-Captivate?

The Galaxy S2 definitely has the best screen of the models mentioned.

I'm not waiting; I already have the perfect phone: Samsung (AT&T) Captivate. :D

Any thoughts on the .... Acer Iconia Smart :)

DSC00646-462x346.jpg

2011-03-20_1525.png

2011-03-20_1526.png

TL :jap:

If you want a larger screen the Dell Streak 5 is generally available here, now. 18,990 in Dell shops, not sure which 3G radios the models here have?

If I were to buy a new phone today it might be the Dell Venue.

Thanks for the comments and link ,the Dell Venue looks very nice,Ive tried out the Dell Streak and not too sure ,my self and my neighbor are both looking to replace out aging phones with a large screen smartphone and we were thinking about the Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6,which is on sale in Thailand for around 11,000 baht .

Would you happen to know if the Dell Venue is in Thailand and approximate price, ive looked but can only find the Dell Venue Pro.

The Two specifications below look some what similar ?

2011-03-20_1648.png

2011-03-20_1650.png

and 11,000 Baht seem's a good price .

I haven't seen a Dell Venue here, but I haven't looked. My guess is that they are available as grey market imports like just about any phone. If I were to buy it I would do so on Dell's website and then just hand-carry. Once you have had an AMOLED screen it is hard to go backwards. I have seen the Dell Streak 5 in several Dell and IT City stores throughout Bangkok.

That Huawei unit looks like the WellcoM A99, but it is confusing as your picture says availability May 2011? I doubt Huawei will sell that directly; they really don't have a retail presence here. So if that's a newer version of the A99 you may have hope WellcoM carries it, or maybe go elsewhere to buy it?

I haven't seen a Dell Venue here, but I haven't looked. My guess is that they are available as grey market imports like just about any phone. If I were to buy it I would do so on Dell's website and then just hand-carry. Once you have had an AMOLED screen it is hard to go backwards. I have seen the Dell Streak 5 in several Dell and IT City stores throughout Bangkok.

That Huawei unit looks like the WellcoM A99, but it is confusing as your picture says availability May 2011? I doubt Huawei will sell that directly; they really don't have a retail presence here. So if that's a newer version of the A99 you may have hope WellcoM carries it, or maybe go elsewhere to buy it?

Thanks

Ive found a Thai web site showing the Dell Venue for 15,000 Baht ( I think :rolleyes: ) and the AMOLED screen does look great . I think the Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 is the same as the new Wellcom a99 .

Ive seen the Dell Streak for sale in my local IT Mall, So I'm going to ask there about the Venue , as all ways whats the warranty situation in Thailand if you buy the phone from outside of Thailand :(

Most of the grey-market smartphone product here sells "as is", with absolutely no warranty so caveat emptor 'fer sure. I am certain that the Dell Streaks here have a warranty but you'd be advised to review that (90 days? HW? SW?). The Venues, I've been told, are grey market but obviously this is a fluid situation. If a warranty is important to you then you should stick to official localized product from recognized manufacturers, like Samsung, LG, Nokia et al.

There are so many variables to weigh/balance/trade-off: screen, cpu, memory, style, design, networks, developer support, reliability, warranty, price, name/reputation/brand, product cycle and a few more I've forgotten. Typically, as consumers we tend to focus on one single attribute, which sways us positively or negatively and then push to the decision point, ignoring potentially more important criteria. ( Just look at the other thread here where all the focus is on low-end models, which are not available here, and unreleased models, which are not available here. This is of course another customer behavior mode related to procrastination: if I delay my decision I will not make the wrong decision. This works for CEOs, military leaders, Presidents, and well any leader. ) After that we do all we can to justify our decision, especially with external audiences as this reinforces our decision. This is just Customer Behavior 101, and every company knows how to pander to us. The product cycle on smartphones is driven as much by the "contract phone market" in the U.S., 24 months, as by 'technology'.

Anyway, that WellcoM A99 is easily the best phone vis a vis specs/price on paper I have seen. My two main concerns would be: reliability and developer support. To address the former I'd search out people who have this model and interact with them face-to-face. For the latter, there's not much you can do. It seems like the bulk of users are in Thailand? But if you found a few A99 savvy Thais who could help you, this issue might be addressed?

As of today, the WellcoM A99, Samsung Cooper and Samsung Galaxy SL make up a decent candidate pool. I do not own any of these models, but I am a Samsung fanboy. ( " We (at General Electric) had to raise money, so we sold the "E" to Samsung, now they're Samesung." Paraphrasing Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock. )

Edited by lomatopo

Most of the grey-market smartphone product here sells "as is", with absolutely no warranty so caveat emptor 'fer sure. I am certain that the Dell Streaks here have a warranty but you'd be advised to review that (90 days? HW? SW?). The Venues, I've been told, are grey market but obviously this is a fluid situation. If a warranty is important to you then you should stick to official localized product from recognized manufacturers, like Samsung, LG, Nokia et al.

There are so many variables to weigh/balance/trade-off: screen, cpu, memory, style, design, networks, developer support, reliability, warranty, price, name/reputation/brand, product cycle and a few more I've forgotten. Typically, as consumers we tend to focus on one single attribute, which sways us positively or negatively and then push to the decision point, ignoring potentially more important criteria. ( Just look at the other thread here where all the focus is on low-end models, which are not available here, and unreleased models, which are not available here. This is of course another customer behavior mode related to procrastination: if I delay my decision I will not make the wrong decision. This works for CEOs, military leaders, Presidents, and well any leader. ) After that we do all we can to justify our decision, especially with external audiences as this reinforces our decision. This is just Customer Behavior 101, and every company knows how to pander to us. The product cycle on smartphones is driven as much by the "contract phone market" in the U.S., 24 months, as by 'technology'.

Anyway, that WellcoM A99 is easily the best phone vis a vis specs/price on paper I have seen. My two main concerns would be: reliability and developer support. To address the former I'd search out people who have this model and interact with them face-to-face. For the latter, there's not much you can do. It seems like the bulk of users are in Thailand? But if you found a few A99 savvy Thais who could help you, this issue might be addressed?

As of today, the WellcoM A99, Samsung Cooper and Samsung Galaxy SL make up a decent candidate pool. I do not own any of these models, but I am a Samsung fanboy. ( " We (at General Electric) had to raise money, so we sold the "E" to Samsung, now they're Samesung." Paraphrasing Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock. )

Thanks again for the comments , its appreciated

The Wellcom a99 does look like good value and its seems to be marketed under the following brands..

Viewsonic Viewpad 4

Magnum a400 hd

CSL Mi410 slim

WellcoM a99

CSL Blueberry MI410

Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6

and it looks like its originally manufactured by the Chinese company Foxconn who make consumer electronics for ...

* Apple Inc. (United States)

* Amazon.com (United States)

* Asus (Taiwan)

* Intel (United States)

* Cisco (United States)

* Hewlett-Packard (United States)

* Dell (United States)

* Nintendo (Japan)

* Nokia (Finland)

* Microsoft (United States)

* Sony (Japan)

* Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)

* Samsung (Korea)

* Vizio (United States)

Like you point out the Wellcom brand seems to be Thai orientated and not a mobile phone brand a foreigner here may go for , so actually finding some one who has the a99 may be a long drawn out crusade. Just looking around other parts of the world where the a99 is selling under another name, the general feed back seems to be positive . Having said that after watching several a99 youtube videos , and just now a Dell Venue video , the Dell's AMOLED screen just looks fantastic, but as you say there's some times a trade off , so for the a99 and its price of 11,000 Baht,the screen may be the trade off.

If any one know an a99 owner please let me know . :D

Edited by ThaiLife

and it looks like its originally manufactured by the Chinese company Foxconn who make consumer electronics for ...

* Apple Inc. (United States)

You might want to Google "Foxconn suicides", bit of a PR snafu last year for Apple.

The Dell Venue does look nice, the speed (no lag) on the UI was impressive.

LG Optimus 2X and LG G-Slate due at T-Mobile/USa on April 20, 2011.

Its allready out in alot of European countries tough. But i think the T-Mobile version is pure Android Vanilla (wich i would love to get my hands on)

I see what you mean :o

2011-03-21_1850.png

Ive just spotted this about the Wellcom A99 :D

( Google Translator )

WellcoM Mobile itself is well aware of the promises that we offer our customers all Thais. In the mobile phone that meets international standard. Worth the price. As we told you always that "WellcoM understand the Thai people more than" We are pleased to inform you that the development to Upgrade Firmware is Android 2.3 Gingerbread will be completed during June 2011 You can follow the news through The Call Center 0-2641-5000 with www.wellcommobile.com / android and www.facebook.com / wellcomclub Furthermore WellcoM Mobile would like to thank you for your interest. And reliability of our products all along the WellcoM apologize for any inconvenience caused and will quickly resolve the inconvenience in using your mobile phone. As soon as possible because WellcoM understand Thai more

I found the Dell Venue ( 16BG ) for sale in Thailand 16,800 Baht '' No Warranty ''