Replacing Honda Click Tyres

james24

Ive had my honda click for about a year and already the back tyre I think needs replacing. The small rubber parts which go round the tyre and stick out (I believe they are to show how worn the tyre is) are pretty much gone.

Do they need replacing...is it best to replace both tyres at the same time or just when one of them needs it..and where can I buy genuine Honda Click tyres. As you can see Im a complete novice when it comes to bikes.

Im doing a visa run to Burma this week before Friday. I have driven there and back on the click quite a few times but if I were to buy new ones should I drive on the old ones or new ones, Ive heard new tyres can be slippery.

Thanks guys

P.S On a slightly off topic note will it be ok on that route to leave Chiang Mai at about 4am... is it too dangerous at that time and is that road actually open....?

Thanks guys

Im meeting a friend tommorow who is taking me to a shop on Chiang Moi to have a look at new shocks and new tires. He mentioned putting on some dunlops instead of replacing with the standard edition tires which sounds cool.

Looking at the prices here, tires and shocks/suspension seem so much cheaper than outside of Thailand, are they copies or something..... Ive heard of copy tires in Thailand before.

Thanks guys

Im meeting a friend tommorow who is taking me to a shop on Chiang Moi to have a look at new shocks and new tires. He mentioned putting on some dunlops instead of replacing with the standard edition tires which sounds cool.

Looking at the prices here, tires and shocks/suspension seem so much cheaper than outside of Thailand, are they copies or something..... Ive heard of copy tires in Thailand before.

Read somewhere here that Dunlops are crap in LOS. If me and worried, l would go to Honda MAIN agent and fit stock tyres and also the tubes, for you the important thing is the tubes, hold the air. :)

Thanks guys

Read somewhere here that Dunlops are crap in LOS. If me and worried, l would go to Honda MAIN agent and fit stock tyres and also the tubes, for you the important thing is the tubes, hold the air. :)

Thanks Transam

I was a bit wary that they were so cheap and a thing lke tires its probably not wise to get copies.

I think Ill take a trip down to the Hona shop tommorow aswell

you need to buy IRC tires from the honda dealer just over the bridge from the river ping going towards the bus station(sang chai motors) the mans name who speaks english is renu or you could just ring 0818843165.

copies they just don't last as long and you get flat ties easier in my opinion (but each to there own).

and IRC inner tubes are also better quality .

Edited by rakchaingmai

How come your looking at changing shocks after one year?

or, is the bike older and you've only had it one year?

If you've been ok on standard rubber for the last 12 months I wouldn't bother changing to more expensive / higher performance rubber anyway. There's not really any point on something small like a click in my opinion, it's not a machine you want to be trying to ride fast on anyway!

As far as setting off at 04:00 goes, the roads should be very quiet but you've got a couple of hours in pitch black riding to consider with this option. I wouldn't travel that road in darkness unless i really had to no matter what bike i rode. consider all the people in the small villages on their stealth bikes (no lights) who you might not be able to see. Also should something bad happen you may not get any assistance as nobody would see you at the side of the road at that time of day.

Please consider your safety before setting off.

Edited by mrclough

I changed the tires on my Click a few months ago. On the advice of a Click owner friend I put on the "big" tires that are available for the Click. Ffor a few hundred baht more it was well worth the difference. I think I paid 1400 baht for both new tires and tubes.

The "big" tires fit on the same rims but have wider stronger sidewalls and the ride is completely different (better). The bike sits about an inch higher after the tire change.

Highly recommemded. This is a pretty common upgrade and you should be able to get them anywhere.

How come your looking at changing shocks after one year?

or, is the bike older and you've only had it one year?

If you've been ok on standard rubber for the last 12 months I wouldn't bother changing to more expensive / higher performance rubber anyway. There's not really any point on something small like a click in my opinion, it's not a machine you want to be trying to ride fast on anyway!

As far as setting off at 04:00 goes, the roads should be very quiet but you've got a couple of hours in pitch black riding to consider with this option. I wouldn't travel that road in darkness unless i really had to no matter what bike i rode. consider all the people in the small villages on their stealth bikes (no lights) who you might not be able to see. Also should something bad happen you may not get any assistance as nobody would see you at the side of the road at that time of day.

Please consider your safety before setting off.

The shocks seem well gone, any small bump and it yu feel it go through your whole body. This could be due to the fact that Ive done the visa run on this bike 5 times or that there is always two of us on the bike.

I think Ill probably stick with the standard wheels as like you say its only a click and I dont wanna use ones if there is a chance they are copies, might be a bit dangerous. Talking of dangerous Ill probably leave at 5 now.

Does anyone know a good shop for genuine shocks....?

Thanks

PS. Slightly off topic, the route I normally take is the 118 all the way there, someone mentioned to me a few months ago that there is another way, any ideas what this might be....?

Would be surprised if the shockers went within 50,000 clicks even riding the thing three-up Thai-style for the duration. You possibly have the rear tyre too soft or hard if picking up every bump, or perhaps there's a setting on those things for one or two people?

On tyres, replace them both every year anyway.

PS. Slightly off topic, the route I normally take is the 118 all the way there, someone mentioned to me a few months ago that there is another way, any ideas what this might be....?

Yes, there is another way, and it is a lot nicer. Just take the 107 towards Mae Rim and just keep going. In Fang the road changes number to 1089, but just keep going. Eventually you'll end up on highway one. Turn north and you'll be in Mae Sai soon.

The route is easy to see on Google Maps and easy to find with just these directions, but I still recommend the GT-Rider motorcycle map. The one for this bit is called "Golden Triangle - The Loop". Well worth its money.

There's really no reason to change both tires, btw. Rear tires wear out faster than front ones, so if the front is good, just keep it. Unless you have money to throw away or want to use a different brand for some reason.

Cos the click tyres are quite skinny if they are over inflated you will feel what you are describing, give your spine hell. 30psi front, 33psi rear, buy a cheap tyre gauge in Tesco's. Doubt your shocks are a problem, if they were you would be bouncing up and down like a yo-yo. :)

On the route subject, if you do choose the 118 route, after you turn left onto highway 1 near Chiang Mai there's some roadworks meaning the road is closed on one side so be a little extra careful.

I noticed this on Saturday morning so don't imagine they've completed everything by now

"Shocks" should be "shock" as there is only one and if you are an average sized farang and do a lot of 2 up riding then yes, your shock may need to be beefed up. I'd suggest a YSS shock which are available at a lot of the bike shops - there is one in Chiang Moi road on the right just after "Preeda accessories" and you can see all the blingy stuff hanging up. I believe they do YSS. If not then Nat at Piston shop can help.

Re: tyres, never heard of the "big" tyres but I'd second the recommendation to put IRC tyres and tubes on as replacements.

Lastly, you're crackers to ride outside of any Thai city in darkness so waiting until at least 5 or 5:30 to ride through the suburbs is a good idea IMO.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers,

Pikey.

.... 30psi front, 33psi rear, buy a cheap tyre gauge in Tesco's.

Hear, hear.

And check the tires yourself because the guys at filling stations and "mechanics" don't use gauges. They will put about 70 psi in your tires!

But the built-in gauges on the self-serve air stations are generally accurate.

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate all your advice.

I went with a friend today to get it all sorted out. I changed the shocks to some 1000bt 'gozi's' with a dampener. All the YSS were sold out. They work brilliantly and rather than shaking like a baby poodle everytime I hit a bump I dont feel it as much and the bike seems so much more secure.

I also went to the Honda garage and got a new air filter I think my friend said it was called. This is supposed to improve my gas mileage and it seems to be doing its job very well.

The tyres felt a bit wobbly because of something called "scalloping". Apparently the new shocks will prevent it from getting any worse. Ive also set the air in the tyres to about 31-33

Once again thanks for all your help.

One more thing, the other route to Mae Sai (the mae rim way), is it as quick.. ? Are the roads in good condition and quite safe and are there plently of gas stations etc on the way just in case I get low on the old gas...?

Any info on this route would be great, Im just googling it now

Edited by james24

One more thing, the other route to Mae Sai (the mae rim way), is it as quick.. ? Are the roads in good condition and quite safe and are there plently of gas stations etc on the way just in case I get low on the old gas...?

The route is not as fast. It's a bit longer, a bit twistier, and it's got a bit more hills = a better motorcycling route. I didn't time it either way when I went, but I'd guesstimate that it adds an hour or so of riding time.

The route is not as fast. It's a bit longer, a bit twistier, and it's got a bit more hills = a better motorcycling route. I didn't time it either way when I went, but I'd guesstimate that it adds an hour or so of riding time.

Yep, the route up the 107 then through Thaton to Mae Chan is about 280km to Mae Sai whereas straight up the 118/1 is about 250km. I'd do a loop - up one way, sleep overnight and then back the other. Doi Mae Salong is worth a visit too but not sure about the scenic views at this time of year with all the crap in the air at the moment.

On the 107 route, fill up before leaving, fill again in Chiang Dao, Fang and Mae Chan then on the way back, Chiang Rai, Mae Suai, Mae Kachan and that should do you.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I think Ill take your advice and go up there one way and back the other.

Whoever checked the wheels at Honda got it wrong, inner tube poppped again today. Took it to a "side of the road" shop and found a sharp piece of metal sticking in the tire. The inner tube was totally ripped when they took it out.

In case it wasnt the piece of metal which Im sure it probably was, can too much air in the inner tube pop it....? I ask because the Honda shop I went to didnt use a gauge.

Whoever checked the wheels at Honda got it wrong, inner tube poppped again today. Took it to a "side of the road" shop and found a sharp piece of metal sticking in the tire. The inner tube was totally ripped when they took it out.

In case it wasnt the piece of metal which Im sure it probably was, can too much air in the inner tube pop it....? I ask because the Honda shop I went to didnt use a gauge.

Yes if very high, thats why l suggested buying a tyre pressure gauge in Tesco's. :)

Yes if very high, thats why l suggested buying a tyre pressure gauge in Tesco's. :)

lol good point

Hello James,

My click needed new tyres after about 15,000 Kms. I got the same ones as the original (Thai brand, can't remember the name). Same size, because it's best not to mess around with tyre sizes, or else it may show you incorrect speed. It cost me 1,020 THB for both, from the Honda dealer on the Kaeo Nawarat road (tyres only, not changed the tubes: 70/90-14 NR73 and 80/90-14 NR73).

The wear indicators are in the grooves of the tyre, not the small 'hairs' sticking out. When the rest of the treads wear down to them, then it is time to change.

For me, the new tyres improved the grip on the road, in fact I was reminded to change the tyres when I started to feel that the bike slipped a bit on corners. Next day I was at the dealer to change.

I have an aluminium pump and an air-pressure gauge. I pump the tyres weekly to 29 at the front and 36 psi at the rear, as I managed to read from the user's manual, for 2 persons. I don't know why, but motorbike tyres lose pressure quickly. My car tyres never need pumping up. Must be because car tyres are tubeless.

I also have the bike serviced regularly at 2,500 kms. Usually oil and filter change, but they also supposed to check for wear of other parts. Always around 100 THB plus other parts if needed. I would never use small repair shops, unless in an emergency and there were no available Honda dealers around.

Best regards.

PS. I admire your courage to ride on a click to Mae Sai and back. It is tiring enough in a car :)