Replacing Honda Click Tyres

james24

Hello James,

My click needed new tyres after about 15,000 Kms. I got the same ones as the original (Thai brand, can't remember the name). Same size, because it's best not to mess around with tyre sizes, or else it may show you incorrect speed. It cost me 1,020 THB for both, from the Honda dealer on the Kaeo Nawarat road (tyres only, not changed the tubes: 70/90-14 NR73 and 80/90-14 NR73).

The wear indicators are in the grooves of the tyre, not the small 'hairs' sticking out. When the rest of the treads wear down to them, then it is time to change.

For me, the new tyres improved the grip on the road, in fact I was reminded to change the tyres when I started to feel that the bike slipped a bit on corners. Next day I was at the dealer to change.

I have an aluminium pump and an air-pressure gauge. I pump the tyres weekly to 29 at the front and 36 psi at the rear, as I managed to read from the user's manual, for 2 persons. I don't know why, but motorbike tyres lose pressure quickly. My car tyres never need pumping up. Must be because car tyres are tubeless.

I also have the bike serviced regularly at 2,500 kms. Usually oil and filter change, but they also supposed to check for wear of other parts. Always around 100 THB plus other parts if needed. I would never use small repair shops, unless in an emergency and there were no available Honda dealers around.

Best regards.

PS. I admire your courage to ride on a click to Mae Sai and back. It is tiring enough in a car :)

Thanks for the advice man, luckily I havent slipped yet but new tires are in the back of mind at the moment.

The hours/km I can deal with, its those blind corners those pickup trucks always take, I feel myself bracing for every one lol

I would never use small repair shops, unless in an emergency and there were no available Honda dealers around.

For me its quite the opposite. I've found for both motorcycles and cars, the main dealers do a very poor job. There are some very poor repair shops by the side of the road, but there are some who are 10 times better than the main dealer. I've got two that I go to depending on where I am, one an old guy who's been fixing scooters all his life, and the other a professional place, extremely busy, that supports its own on site parts shop. I've found the people working in the main dealers to be inexperienced, often don't want to do the work as they're on a fixed salary and you coming in is an inconvenience and when they do do a job, rarely do it properly.