Android Just Overtook Apple Ios And Blackberry

With or without the Nokia partnership I think it's possible Windows Phone 7 -- or a future version thereof -- will eventually pull ahead of Android and iPhone.

I deifnately agree. Together they will also be pushing the xbox, ping, aswell as the phones.

Android is a good platform but it hasnt been advertised enough. Considering its developed by Google they should blitz it so much more

Apple is having a good run but due to its pricing and the way economy is going to go again, Windows and Nokia will be more accesible for most people

Nokia is the largest cellphone manufacturer in the world, and MS dominates the world computer market. Hardly lame ducks. ;)

Nokia brings Symbian - huge, but clearly outdated.

Microsoft brings WP7 - a mobile OS that has been largely ignored by consumers

The correct quote, posted by one of the Google / Android chiefs one day before the announcement, is: Two turkeys don't make an eagle.

Entirely accurate IMO but particularly good in this context because that's what Nokia's chief executive said at the time when two other mobile technology giants were merging - forgot who it was, Siemens and someone.

WP7 is DOA. Microsoft had to pay Nokia $1Bn to sweeten the deal... no idea how good or bad WP7 is but the timing is really bad, coming years after Android/iOS, and probably going to be exclusive for Nokia. Samsung and others had very little incentive to adopt WP7, as sales of those devices they brought out were abysmal and they have to pay license fees, and they can't customize it like they can Android. But now with an almost exclusive for Nokia, where it's likely Nokia will be able to customize WP7 for their hardware - it's in everyone else's best interest if WP7 simply dies. As for consumers, I don't think they will care.

For Microsoft, it's last chance saloon. For Nokia it's really dumb.

Edited by nikster

Nokia is the largest cellphone manufacturer in the world, and MS dominates the world computer market. Hardly lame ducks. ;)

Let's see...

Nokia's new CEO when he took office and before the Microsoft deal, stated that there would be no improvements to the Symbian OS (which was failing and Nokia sales were falling dramatically).

Microsoft's new Windows Mobile 7 crashed just after being released, reminding me of another Microsoft turkey (Vista). The previous versions of Windows for mobiles never got off the ground.

Just because you are large does not make you good. Remember IBM when PC first came out in the late 70's? IBM created several PC failures before getting one to fly.

I agree, Two turkeys don't make an eagle!

Mobile device development was seriously being hampered by these two turkeys until the iPhone came out.

Now that Google has gotten into the game, some serious innovation can come about.

I suspect the Unholy Alliance will manage to carve out a respectable chunk of the Smartphone market over time, they just won't dominate it as they have in the past. Nokia still has a great brand and huge following, they'll do ok.