Turn A Eea Fam Perm / 5 Yr Res Perm Into A Uk Passport

Can’t believe I remember my logon 3 yrs on.

Wife, daughter and me have been living in UK now for 3yrs on a 5 yr residency permit that came after an EEA family permit. (Life is great)

I am a duel national, daughter is entitled to a UK passport by default, but the question is how when do I apply for my wife’s UK passport?

My current understanding is ILR application after 5 yrs in UK followed by citizenship followed by a passport application with some KOL test here and there with some hideously inflated prices attached to that.

Has anyone been down this path yet that wishes to shed some light onto the situation?

I also have a bit of a twist to my story, which should raise some interesting questions. I am a member of HM forces and a duel national, which has some exceptions and some additional requirements to be met….

Be interested to hear from anyone who is familiar with passports and EEA routes.

As she entered the UK via the EEA route, I am fairly certain that she cannot now switch to being the spouse of a UK national for naturalisaton purposes.

This means that, among other requirements, she must have been in the UK for 5 years and have permanent residence before she can apply.

See Standard requirements for naturalisation.

I was thinking that, so I have to wait 2 more years, in the last 28 days of that period apply for ILR then. no idea how much that costs or what to do after that for a passport. best get looking. thanks for the steer 7by7

As she entered the UK via the EEA route, I am fairly certain that she cannot now switch to being the spouse of a UK national for naturalisaton purposes.

This means that, among other requirements, she must have been in the UK for 5 years and have permanent residence before she can apply.

See Standard requirements for naturalisation.

I was thinking that, so I have to wait 2 more years, in the last 28 days of that period apply for ILR then. no idea how much that costs or what to do after that for a passport. best get looking. thanks for the steer 7by7

Just wrote to the UKBA with this,

My wife (Thai) and our daughter (Thai / Brit) both entered the UK on an EEA family permit, they are here on a 5 yr residency permit. I want to know the quickest route to applying for her passport. I am a duel national but also a member of HM forces and as such I require her to have the ability to move to postings through out the world with me unhindered.

I dont know wether to go for registration or naturalisation but I do require wife to join me and it would help if she was British as we intend to remain located in the UK indefinitely.

Regards

She doesn't apply for ILR, she applies for Permanent Residence; see European citizens and the relevant links from there.

6. EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA NATIONALS AND SWISS NATIONALS

This section covers you if the country to which you belong is part of the European Economic Area or Switzerland.

New immigration regulations came into force on 30 April 2006. If you are a national of a country which is a member state of the EEA or Switzerland, or the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status after exercising EEA free movement rights in the UK for any continuous period of 5 years ending on or after 30 April 2006, and therefore will not have to apply for indefinite leave to remain. But remember that, unless married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should normally have held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalisation. This means that you may need to wait until you have been in the United Kingdom for 6 years before you can apply.

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf

That said: might have to do this first -

Permanent residence

After you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years, you can apply for confirmation of your permanent residence. You must have been in employment, in self-employment, studying or self-sufficient in the UK throughout the 5-year period.

For your residence in the UK to be considered continuous, you should not be absent from the UK for more than 6 months each year. However, longer absences for compulsory military service will not affect your residence. Additionally, a single absence of up to 12 months for important reasons such as pregnancy, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or posting overseas will not affect your residence.

EEA and Swiss nationals will be issued with a document confirming that they are permanent residents in the UK. This document has no expiry date.

If you are an EEA or Swiss national and you want to apply for confirmation of your permanent residence, you must complete application form EEA3. You can download the form from the right side of this page, or use our interactive application tool to complete the form online. For your application to be accepted, you must provide a valid identity card or passport, and evidence that you have a right to permanent residence. Section 5 of the EEA3 application form contains details of the supporting evidence that you must provide.

Non-EEA nationals will be issued with an endorsement, which is a sticker (also called a 'vignette') placed in their passport. This endorsement is valid for 10 years.

If you are a non-EEA national and you want to apply for permanent residence, you must complete application form EEA4. You can download the form from the right side of this page. For your application to be accepted, you must provide a valid identity card or passport, and evidence that you have a right to permanent residence. Section 6 of the EEA4 application form contains details of the supporting evidence that you must provide. If (for any reason) we do not have your passport when we decide to issue permanent residence, or if your passport expires while it is in our possession, we will issue you with an immigration status document instead of a permanent residence endorsement.

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/applyingundereuropeanlaw/

I think I have resolved this, can't find any fees attached to Permanent Residence application but I doubt it's free.

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/applyingundereuropeanlaw/