Chiangmai To Hua Hin By Car

lingnoi1977

I am doing a road trip from CNX to Hua Hin soon and although I know the general directions, I am wanting to know specific roads and exit ramps to avoid getting stuck in and around Bangkok.

Does anyone know specifics of going from north to south without spending hours correcting a wrong turn in Bkk? I imagine that some of the exits are sign posted in interesting ways...?

Here is what I have from Bing Maps so far:

From CNX

Highway 1

Becomes 32

Ramp right on 347 towards Pathum Thani

Ramp left on 9 towards Kanchanapisek Road - Bang Pa-In/Bang Bua Thong

Becomes 35

Becomes 4

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

You have petrol stations and restaurants all the way, no problem. If you have a good map I took off just north of Ayutthaya on the 350 to Sauphan Buri and then picked up the 321 which connect to highway 4 just outside of Nakhom Pathom. Great road mostly dual carriage way and you get to see some country. AND you bypass the Bangkok BS. This was on another trip.

I use the outer ring road it is well marked as such. (at least last time I did it was) then 35 cross to 4. Signs worked pretty well - I have no GPS and my co pilot is map impaired.:jap:

I use the outer ring road it is well marked as such. (at least last time I did it was) then 35 cross to 4. Signs worked pretty well - I have no GPS and my co pilot is map impaired.:jap:

lol, I have GPS but she is pretty insistent on the most direct route which is not always best. I also have one of those map inpaired co-pilots...I wonder if they came from the same place...:whistling:

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP, MUCH APPRECIATED :jap:

I imagine that some of the exits are sign posted in interesting ways...?

Yes. A couple of tips below.

Highway 1

Becomes 32

Ramp right on 347 towards Pathum Thani

Ramp left on 9 towards Kanchanapisek Road - Bang Pa-In/Bang Bua Thong

from Bang Pa In, follow Highway 9 (Kanchanapisek Road) and head for Bang Na, Rama II

About 10 km past the interchange with the Bangkok - Chonburi (Pattaya) highway 7, watch carefully for the BLUE coloured signpost, Rama II. The blue means you will have to pay 40 Baht for this stretch of Kanchanapisek Road.

Becomes 35

Yes, across the river, pass the big elephant with 3 heads, and after about 25 km from the point where you collect the toll token, you'll see a modern mock French style building on your right with a large dome on top! Quite an ugly building IMO, but a landmark. About 3 km after you pass this, be extremely vigilant. A small hump in the road, and suddenly you'll see a sign for Bang Khae (don't follow this) and to the left, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Rama II. Go left -Samut Sakhon.

Beware, the road sign is hand written, (or it was on my last trip a fortnight ago) as there is major road works here, and a bit of heavy traffic - trucks. To compound the road works, any delay is because you must pay your 40 Baht to exit Kanchanapisek to join Rama II.

After the toll booths, force your way across the joining traffic, towards the right hand lane. Stay there for about 100 metres, and force your way right again, onto the main part of Rama II. The left lanes take you along the nightmare of the frontage road (avoid it). Once on Rama II, straight, easy driving all the way, past Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram to Pak Tho. This is the end of the Rama II highway.

Becomes 4

Yes. A good highway, all the way to Hua Hin, with 4 lanes of fast and free flowing traffic. Pak Tho to Hua Hin takes about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Good journey!

• 4 months later...

You have petrol stations and restaurants all the way, no problem. If you have a good map I took off just north of Ayutthaya on the 350 to Sauphan Buri and then picked up the 321 which connect to highway 4 just outside of Nakhom Pathom. Great road mostly dual carriage way and you get to see some country. AND you bypass the Bangkok BS. This was on another trip.

I think this route has to be the best avoiding BKK alltogether, and I think is a more direct route than going on highway9 especially if you miss your exit ramp!

But have a great trip which ever way you go :)

Edited by garrfeild