How Hard Is It To Get A Non Immigrant 'O' Visa?

I have a friend coming to Thailand who want to spend some time here and collect a work permit from the Russian embassy while here. He's a Brit and he cannot get a work permit from the Russian embassy in Thailand if he's on a tourist visa. He'd have to go back to the UK to do it.

He can however, i believe get one if he's here on a Non Immigrant 'O' Visa.

Now, i can remember getting one of these a few years back when i wanted to stay in Thailand for retirement. It was quite easy to do.

My question is how hard is it to get one? I've visited the Thai Embassy web site and it looks like they are issued for specific reasons. Like study, receive medical treatment, investment etc.

Is there a another route to get one?

Cheers for any info

Without other reasons (volunteer perhaps) the B visa is used for work/work permit. And there is no need to return to home country to obtain. Labor department issues work permits in Thailand - not Embassy.

Without other reasons (volunteer perhaps) the B visa is used for work/work permit. And there is no need to return to home country to obtain. Labor department issues work permits in Thailand - not Embassy.

You miss understood.

He's not coming to Thailand to pick up a Thai work permit but a Russian one. I don't want to bore you with the details but you have to leave Russia to collect one from a Russian embassy abroad. He doesn't want to return to the UK to do it he wants to come to Thailand, have a holiday and do it at the same time. A Russian work permit can be issued from the Russian Embassy here but not if you are in Thailand on a tourist visa.

Hope that's clearer

russianrobert

Edited by russianrobert

Then am afraid to say he can forget it, unless he is married to a Thai, has property here, is retiring here (but how could be pick up a Russian WP if retired), is working here, none of these no Non Immigrant Visa. Your friend should try picking it up in Europe or the UK.

Then am afraid to say he can forget it, unless he is married to a Thai, has property here, is retiring here (but how could be pick up a Russian WP if retired), is working here, none of these no Non Immigrant Visa. Your friend should try picking it up in Europe or the UK.

Strange as it may seem it is possible to pick up a Russian work permit from the Russian embassy in Bangkok if you are retired here. I have done it many times. In fact last time was 3 months ago. A retirement visa in Thailand does not permit you to work in Thailand but you can work in other countries.

How difficult is it to get one if you wanted to come to Thailand for medical treatment, anyone know?

Cheers

where is your friend now?

how old is he?

He's in Russia and he's not old enough to qualify for a retirement visa, if that's what your thinking.

And before anyone asks, you have to leave Russia to collect your work permit.

He'd just rather come here than go home to the UK. Sunny weather and the rest. I'm sure you all understand

Edited by russianrobert

Why not fly via somewhere to Bangkok and collect his WP from the Embassy where he stops over, then continue onto Bangkok, surely that is easier for him, and the best bet in actually getting his WP. As it seems he will not get it here as he does not qualify for a Non Immigrant Visa

Well it would seem that as he does not, or can not, qualify to get a Russian work permit in Thailand. Options are it would appear, go to Europe, which as I understand he can do with ease. Holiday in Thailand. Back to Russia for work. Sorted.

jb1

Is there a russian embassy in Cambodia or Laos, he could go there, get his Russian work permit, drop over to Thailand for a holiday. ???

The rules for collecting a Russian work permit from a Russian embassy are set by the Russian Government, not the Thai government.

Most nationals can only collect a Russian work permit from a Russian embassy in his home country. Except, where he has a visa to stay in a foriegn country 3 months or more.

Therefore he can't take the work permit in Cambodia or Laos either on a tourist visa.

:whistling:

It seems you are hell bent on having your friend collect his Russian WP here. It would be far simpler to pick it up in Europe then for your friend to come here on Holiday.

pick the visa up in europe. its a simple as buy stamps from a post office.he is making a big issue of it here. james sydney hat yai

Could he fly into Hong Kong?

Brit's get 6 months on arrival (although he should definitely check beforehand with the Russian embassy asa lot of places require you to have an HK ID card in order to treat you as resident)