Upvc

Jebhead

I'm looking at changing out all my window & door frames to UPVC, mainly for better quality imported locks but also for more efficiency when the a/c is running.

Does anyone have any experience ( good or bad ) with company's in Pattaya area that do this, i know there's a couple out there but not sure which one provides best material and service?

JH

Jeb Have you checked the do it yourself section. In Pattaya there are a lot more nays to UPVC & a lot more yeas to the regular aluminum enclosures as far as durability & fit. I was once going to go the UPVC route & was enlightened to the fact it basically is a waste of money. Now it is close to 400% what the aluminum prices are & they don't even fit that great. Before you dump your wad on expensive(but not need window frames do a search on the do it yourself & see the complaints & others postings about the frames. What ever way you choose good luck!

Many thanks for the info, i will do some more research.

I have a friend that had it done a few years ago and he was happy enough with results.

DIY is not really my forte!!

JH

The dyi forum will give you a very good in depth review of the pros & cons of most products, so you can avoid the common pitfalls of Thailand construction opposed to the school of had knocks. Just type in on the search function UPVC or UPVC windows.

I learned on the first house build that you may have the same person come out with the same product & not have the same results. I know this seems absurd but TIT & Murphys law is hitched to Thailand eternally.

Many thanks for the info, i will do some more research.

I have a friend that had it done a few years ago and he was happy enough with results.

DIY is not really my forte!!

JH

The dyi forum will give you a very good in depth review of the pros & cons of most products, so you can avoid the common pitfalls of Thailand construction opposed to the school of had knocks. Just type in on the search function UPVC or UPVC windows.

I learned on the first house build that you may have the same person come out with the same product & not have the same results. I know this seems absurd but TIT & Murphys law is hitched to Thailand eternally.

Are you talking about windsor by any chance :whistling:

I had a UPVC casement door fitted last year and subsequently replaced some ali sliding doors and a window with UPVC.

When I initially looked around I had a visit from EuroUPVC, Arc, WR Vinyl and another Thai company also based on Sukhumvit - all these companies showrooms are very close to each other. Arc was by far the dearest, the Thai company next followed by Euro and the WR. EuroUPVC is run by an English guy but unfortunately he never got round to sending me a formal quotation as promised even thogh following a lot of reading and recs in various forums I was predisposed to use them.

I finally used WR Vinyl which is run by a German guy - Peter.

One big advantage of UPVC is that it actually seals whereas my aluminium doors/windows nearly all have small gaps that insects/weather can and did penetrate. Yes it is much more expensive but also I and my TGF feeel much more secure - I replaced the front sliding doors after we came back one evening without keys and my girl friend opened the "locked" sliding door simply by pulling it rigourously! Potentially you may be able to achieve the same result with some good quality ali but I was not convinced. I have also gone double glazed where I thought it made sense.

If you are looking at specific security then I would suggest taking the time to visit the different companies and checking out the options and costs. If you decide to go this route make sure everything is very clear on what you are expecting including any repairs that may be needed as this can be an area that gets left unfinished and is a pain to sort out unless you know a good tradesman/jobbing builder.

All of them also offer different window glass colours which can influence the level of heat transfer - but also can increase the cost quite a bit.

I had a UPVC casement door fitted last year and subsequently replaced some ali sliding doors and a window with UPVC.

When I initially looked around I had a visit from EuroUPVC, Arc, WR Vinyl and another Thai company also based on Sukhumvit - all these companies showrooms are very close to each other. Arc was by far the dearest, the Thai company next followed by Euro and the WR. EuroUPVC is run by an English guy but unfortunately he never got round to sending me a formal quotation as promised even thogh following a lot of reading and recs in various forums I was predisposed to use them.

One big advantage of UPVC is that it actually seals whereas my aluminium doors/windows nearly all have small gaps that insects/weather can and did penetrate. Yes it is much more expensive but also I and my TGF feeel much more secure - I replaced the front sliding doors after we came back one evening without keys and my girl friend opened the "locked" sliding door simply by pulling it rigourously! Potentially you may be able to achieve the same result with some good quality ali but I was not convinced. I have also gone double glazed where I thought it made sense.

If you are looking at specific security then I would suggest taking the time to visit the different companies and checking out the options and costs. If you decide to go this route make sure everything is very clear on what you are expecting including any repairs that may be needed as this can be an area that gets left unfinished and is a pain to sort out unless you know a good tradesman/jobbing builder.

All of them also offer different window glass colours which can influence the level of heat transfer - but also can increase the cost quite a bit.

Many thanks, good info

JH

A good clear post. A friend ( yes i know) is about to make this decision for a new build

What's the location of WR Vinyl??

JH

I have often thought about upgrading my windows but never gotten round to it, as I tend to not like, not even understanding ballpark figures before talking to them as price lists are next to impossible to obtain. Could you assist by advising how much you ended up paying for the casement door and a simple window (guestimate of size, eg 150cm * 80cm high will do and if you had it as sliding window, opening out, double glazed, multi-locks etc fitted). I often glance at the trade UPVC place at the Sukhumvit end of Soi Siam Country Club but never heard any comments about them.

Many thanks

Digger

Sorry I cannot get the hang of quotes -

Jebhead - WR now have an office on Sukhumvit - literally as you come off the new motorway extension and turn south on Sukhumvit (in the direction of Pattaya Klang) they are in the small row of shops off that exit lane - website is -

Digger - as every window is made to the exact size of the opening they cannot really have a price list as standards vary so much. They also do negotiate!

The recent window install was about 1.7 wide by 1.4 high with one fixed and one sliding pane, insect screen, one locking handle and double glazed and that was 13k.

Worth thinking about what you want to do with insect screens as these can add substantially to the cost. Hope this helps.

Edited by Rimmer
commercial URL removed

What's the location of WR Vinyl??

JH

WR Vinyl is located on sukhumvith when you exit the new highway 7 and turn left direction south pattaya.It's in the building next to the exit.

Jebhead - WR now have an office on Sukhumvit - literally as you come off the new motorway extension and turn south on Sukhumvit (in the direction of Pattaya Klang) they are in the small row of shops off that exit lane - website is -

Digger - as every window is made to the exact size of the opening they cannot really have a price list as standards vary so much. They also do negotiate!

The recent window install was about 1.7 wide by 1.4 high with one fixed and one sliding pane, insect screen, one locking handle and double glazed and that was 13k.

Worth thinking about what you want to do with insect screens as these can add substantially to the cost. Hope this helps.

Thanks, i'll go see what they have to offer.

JH

Excellent - many thanks, that is just the kind of info I was looking for. Seems pretty reasonable price wise to me at least for what you ended up with size wise.

• 2 weeks later...