Salsa Kitchen

anonymouse

As far as burritos are concerned I'd have to give the nod to Diablo's. I've tried them a few times and while a little bit spendy (by Chiang Mai standards) they know what a burrito is supposed to be. I believe it is mainly tourist oriented unfortunately, as there is absolutely no parking there and the air is generally noxious around their location due to the traffic.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for those of us who don't know, where is Salsa Kitchen? It never hurts to give the location when talking up a restaurant.

Ooops. I see Post #32 has all the information needed. Thanks.

Edited by MrBrad

nice owner and great food but i find it difficult to park, it was much easier when he was located behind the rasta cafe

The Shell station across the street has free parking for the Salsa Kitchen customers.

I didn't know that so very useful information - thank you.

I like the Salsa Kitchen too on occasion but It barely even reminds one of Mexican food.

I agree that it is not authentic, but it is good for what it is and that is good enough sometimes - especially in Thailand. John uses ingredients that are fresh and in season and improvises a lot to good effect.

Miguel's is authentic California style Mexican food and many people think that it is one of the best in Thailand (look at the many Mexican food threads). Some people do not like it, but that applies to virtually every foreign restaurant in Thailand that I can think of.

I would argue that Miguels is alot closer to Tex-Mex than it is Cali style. I absolutely love Miguels. Given where we are at, I think its pretty dam_n good. I am Mexican, from Texas, so I have eaten way more than my fair share of Mexican food. My grandmother who raised me, basically cooked nothing for me, except homemade Tex-Mex every single day. Add to that all the relatives that cooked for me, all the mexican restaurants around the southwest, and an uncountable number of drunken weekends spent across the border in Ciudad Acuna. And with that vast experience, I would say that Miguels ranks pretty decently. The tortillas definitely need some improvement, but overall the food is quite delicious and dare I say "authentic" Tex-Mex.

One thing I've noticed thought, is that people whole have grown up on Tex-Mex, tend to not like Cali style. And vise-versa. Most of the people I have met in person that say they don't like Miguels, have turned out to either be from Cali, or formed their initial ideas of what Mexican food should taste like around Cali style. This is what I think is the root cause of why some people rave about Miguels and some people unfairly bash it.

-Mestizo

Well said by a person who knows Mexican food. And politely no comment on what Salsa Kitchen calls Mexican food. Thank you Mestizo. Via con dios.

I am growing organic habanero peppers on my farm and looking for a market, Can somebody forward this thread to the owner?

Check with "thai pepper products" in chiang rai about marketing or buying and selling peppers etc.

They sell pickles and jalapenos to places like subway sandwiches and think they market products around asia.

google their web site for info.

Thanks Taco Boy. For the gastronomically challenged, we also grow thai chiles and are starrting jalapenos, although this might be a tough climate for the latter. Habs are, as uptheos suggests,,,,,,bloody hot. In the States they make pepper spray from it.

I've sampled John's food since he started with the 'Bagel Cafe' which used to be on the soi behind John's place. I've always been impressed with the taste, quantity and value for money of his food - authentic or not.

I'm certainly no expert on Mexican food and neither are the majority of my friends, but the consensus is that of all the restaurants proclaiming to serve Mexican food, Salsa Kitchen is the best with Diablo's a close second. If what some of the more experienced Mexican food eaters are saying about Miguel's being the closest thing to authentic, then I'm glad I missed out on it back home!

Tex Mex, Baja, California style. Its all good but different tastes.

Best I ever had was a horse meat taco from Tito's roach coach in mexicalli, or was it Tijuana :rolleyes:

As long as the restaurant is trying, then I give them a go. After all, it is a long way to Baja from here :)

Can't get good Thai food in the states either, but the locals there rave about it :rolleyes:

If your ever in Culver city try Tito's taco's :licklips:

Wow, really? Salsa Kitchen ranks at the bottom of my list for all restaurants in Chiang Mai. I've given it 3-4 tries and it's some of the most bland, tasteless food I've had here. Wouldn't say it's bad, but I found nothing good about it. And there's nothing good to say about the service either. El Diablo's, on the other hand, is very tasty to me and has exceptional service. Different tastes...I am so surprised anyone would ever recommend this restaurant. Salsa Kitchen has to be among the worst restaurants in Chiang Mai. I wouldn't go back if they were giving food away. If you want ribs go to Dukes on the river.

It is starting to appear that you may have a business or an interest in a business that is in competition with the Salsa Kitchen. John and his wife are great hosts. According to everyone on this thread with the exception of you and wynzlo, the food is rated good to excellent. I feel it is excellent - the ribs are the greatest.

...and to me it appears that people's opinions can be influenced by the fact they are friends with the owner and his family. Never seen the guy myself.

I just love burritos. Whichever business makes the tastiest burritos has my interest.

It's alright to disagree, especially if we're talking about food ;)

Salsa Kitchen is certainly good but I would not refer to it as "Mexican" food at all.

Well then is it German food? perhaps English,no wait Iranian ? It is gourmet Mexican!

A good thing. If you have ever dined in Mexico most levels of Mex. food there are horrible for non Mexicans !

Is the salsa kitchen good food?

It is gourmet foos so it confuses some .

Edited by yesterday

Wow, really? Salsa Kitchen ranks at the bottom of my list for all restaurants in Chiang Mai. I've given it 3-4 tries and it's some of the most bland, tasteless food I've had here. Wouldn't say it's bad, but I found nothing good about it. And there's nothing good to say about the service either. El Diablo's, on the other hand, is very tasty to me and has exceptional service. Different tastes...I am so surprised anyone would ever recommend this restaurant. Salsa Kitchen has to be among the worst restaurants in Chiang Mai. I wouldn't go back if they were giving food away. If you want ribs go to Dukes on the river.

It is starting to appear that you may have a business or an interest in a business that is in competition with the Salsa Kitchen. John and his wife are great hosts. According to everyone on this thread with the exception of you and wynzlo, the food is rated good to excellent. I feel it is excellent - the ribs are the greatest.

...and to me it appears that people's opinions can be influenced by the fact they are friends with the owner and his family. Never seen the guy myself.

I just love burritos. Whichever business makes the tastiest burritos has my interest.

It's alright to disagree, especially if we're talking about food ;)

My post was prompted by a post, without any comment, that merely re-posted your post. Why would one do that, especially after denigrating the subject restaurant in a previous post, unless they had a pony in the race?

My taste in food is not influenced by friendship. I just love ribs, and first experienced ribs at the Salsa Kitchen long before becoming acquainted with the owners.

Edited by venturalaw

Salsa Kitchen is certainly good but I would not refer to it as "Mexican" food at all.

Well then is it German food? perhaps English,no wait Iranian ? It is gourmet Mexican!

A good thing. If you have ever dined in Mexico most levels of Mex. food there are horrible for non Mexicans !

Is the salsa kitchen good food?

It is gourmet foos so it confuses some .

They serve a nice, hearty meal for a fair price. But 'gourmet'? Please.

Is actual Mexican food in Mexico so unspeakably horrid that Salsa Kitchen's humble (though perfectly decent) offerings qualify as 'gourmet'?

Even if so, that would make it 'gourmet' in relative terms, not actually gourmet.

Edited by Thakkar

I think that 'gourmet' is not the right word. Unique recipes that are influenced by Mexican cuisine and what ingredients are fresh and in season is how I would put it - tasty food that does not try to be totally authentic.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Knowledgeable foodies generally classify Mexican cuisine among the best (and certainly the most unique) in the world. It is indeed massively diverse as well. Haven't tried the Kitchen as yet but somehow doubt it is us to Diana Kennedy's standards, nor would any place in Thailand.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/food2/entries/2010/09/08/mexican_food_101_diana_kennedy.html

In Mexico and some US states I have had what foodies would call gourmet Mex and I have had street food type Mex, and OMG, when it's good, it's all good ... Salivating now.

Edited by Jingthing

Guest siamjourney

I've been going to Salsa Kitchen since they opened and nothing but good things to say about the restaurant. People can argue all day and night about the semantics of what is 'Mexican Food' but the bottom line is that John and his wife Ede produce great food at a great value. I wouldn't call it traditional Mexican but that doesn't really matter. Every country seems to have their own take on regional foods.

Mexican restaurants in the USA have a much cleaner presentation of the basic dishes than what is served below the border (usually a rather greasy affair outside of expensive hotels). I won't even get started about American Chinese food which has almost nothing to do with that fine Democratic country's actual food. I believe there's no right or wrong when it comes to cooking food (unfortunately there seems to be more wrong than right!). The only important thing is does it suit your individual taste. Fast food restaurants obviously succeed because they have a formula that works for many (Taco Bell?!?) but I will only enter one if I have no other choice (like the interstate highway system in the USA with no time to investigate other local options). I always prefer unique family run restaurants and always avoid restaurant 'chains'.

Miguel's has a passable Burrito but the rice and the beans I find unbearable. As someone said on this thread, 'to each his own'. There's no right or wrong. A lot of people seem to like Miguel's so good luck to them.

I'm partial to the Salsa Kitchen's Burritos and the ribs (both varieties). Both their rice and their beans are much better than Miguel's in my opinion. I've never had anything I didn't enjoy there. Some have mentioned that the portions are big (which is true) but who wants a big portion of bad food which we've all probably had at some time or another? This is certainly not the case at Salsa Kitchen. And I can't imagine anyone complaining about the prices.

I think that CM needs more restaurants like this with a unique take on cooking based on the owner's individual whims.

Wow, really? Salsa Kitchen ranks at the bottom of my list for all restaurants in Chiang Mai. I've given it 3-4 tries and it's some of the most bland, tasteless food I've had here. Wouldn't say it's bad, but I found nothing good about it. And there's nothing good to say about the service either. El Diablo's, on the other hand, is very tasty to me and has exceptional service. Different tastes...

If it's some of the most bland tasteless food you've had and found nothing good about it, then why give it four shots?

There are lots of other restaurants that you could go to........doesn't make sense.

Edited by uptheos

I've heard many good things about Kitchen, but didn't know about the free parking at Shells. Nice bit of info. I have to admit that so far, I am liking Miguels and find it probably the most authentic in taste so far. When I say authentic, I mean the kind of taste that I'm used to from living in WI, USA. Now I definitely have to hit the Kitchen to compare. Diablos is just to troublesome in finding parking, unless you are on 2 wheels :whistling:. On that note, where is the best US style burger in town??? And I mean the artery clogging, fat dripping kinda burger. Duke's is ok, but is there anything better here?

IMHO, Salsa Kitchen does not offer the best "Mexican" food on the planet, but I have eaten there several times and been very happy with the overall experience. When I get back from Bangers this weekend, I intend a visit. I certainly prefer SK to Miguels.

Rgds

Wow, really? Salsa Kitchen ranks at the bottom of my list for all restaurants in Chiang Mai. I've given it 3-4 tries and it's some of the most bland, tasteless food I've had here. Wouldn't say it's bad, but I found nothing good about it. And there's nothing good to say about the service either. El Diablo's, on the other hand, is very tasty to me and has exceptional service. Different tastes...

If it's some of the most bland tasteless food you've had and found nothing good about it, then why give it four shots?

There are lots of other restaurants that you could go to........doesn't make sense.

Because I lived right down the street? The atmosphere is quite nice there, so I was lured in a few times while walking by.

I love how a simple post about disliking the food at a restaurant can stir up conspiracies. This forum is awesome :)

I've heard many good things about Kitchen, but didn't know about the free parking at Shells. Nice bit of info. I have to admit that so far, I am liking Miguels and find it probably the most authentic in taste so far. When I say authentic, I mean the kind of taste that I'm used to from living in WI, USA. Now I definitely have to hit the Kitchen to compare. Diablos is just to troublesome in finding parking, unless you are on 2 wheels :whistling:. On that note, where is the best US style burger in town??? And I mean the artery clogging, fat dripping kinda burger. Duke's is ok, but is there anything better here?

I suggest you try the bacon cheeseburger at Chiang Mai Saloon. Delicious ! :)

IMHO Sizzler Steak House has a traffic burger :D