Thai Nuke Power Plants

haveaniceday

It seems like a forgone conclusion that the Gov will build a Nuke plant in Thailand, it's been out of the news a bit lately.

Just looking at Mat Ta Phut, in Rayong half hour drive from Pattaya, if that is such a shocking mess, total gong show actually, well, a nuke plant in Thailand will not be pretty.

Not discussing all that now, anyone know the latest of the short list of sights ?

Where is the Trat area one planed for in particular?

:)

Right now watching CNN and the nuclear plant in Japan they now have a 22-25 km. exclusion zone.It's a real big problem and the wind is heading towards population area.This historic Quake is going to have Big problem,which will have lasting effect to the whole world.Just my 2 cents.

Right now watching CNN and the nuclear plant in Japan they now have a 22-25 km. exclusion zone.It's a real big problem and the wind is heading towards population area.This historic Quake is going to have Big problem,which will have lasting effect to the whole world.Just my 2 cents.

I think that is a good starting price, but I expect you will get haggled down.

We are lucky to have so many nuclear engineering experts on this forum

SC

Fortunatly the Thais have brought in outside help. I know a Frenchie who has been working with Thais up north for a while on a nuclear plant. He was very frustated with his Thai counterparts reluctance to accept advice on things they know absolutly nothing about. He is quick to voice his opinion, regardless of the thai he causes to lose face. If only he could be involved in the education system.....jap.gif

^ Well that's it then. If the Thai's are employing French expertise in anything except the kitchen, they are well and truly f*cked.

The French own the nuclear power plants in the UK. I am seriously concerned that Thai people may have a nuclear power plant - scary stuff.

^ Well that's it then. If the Thai's are employing French expertise in anything except the kitchen, they are well and truly f*cked.

The French own the nuclear power plants in the UK. I am seriously concerned that Thai people may have a nuclear power plant - scary stuff.

The French also helped build the Daya Bay power stations that supply power to Hong Kong; I've not heard about any problems there (pardon the irony)

SC

The French also helped build the Daya Bay power stations that supply power to Hong Kong; I've not heard about any problems there (pardon the irony)

SC

SC, just to correct you the French didnt help to build....they actually built Daya Bay.

The French (Framotome, as they used to be called) have built many PWR type power startions worldwide, Daya Bay, South Korea, South Africa + many more

I was actually at Daya Bay during construction and pre-commisioning in the early 90's.

And you are correct in saying there have been no notable problems with Daya Bay or any of the the other PWR's they have built.

The design/process of a PWR system is completely different to the BWR type reactors which are currently in the news in Japan which are a mid-60's early 70's design.

Even though they are French...:rolleyes: ...they are most likely the best nuclear design/construction outfit in the world.

The French are the world leaders in design, engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning/start-up of nuclear power plants.

You should take heed of Abraham Lincoln's quote

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Where will they dispose of the waste :unsure:

nuclear reprocessing ... inbreeding - oh, very droll !

Sorry I could not respond quicker; I'm not a fast reacter

SC

I remember reading something about the majority of the world's nuclear waste gets shipped to UK.

So not all those problems are due to inbreeding then? :lol:

Just being watching TAN Network and there was a Thai Nuclear technology professor on and it was really quite refreshing to listen to him explain the issues in Japan.

He gave a much more detailed assessment compared to what we have been hearing from the BBC and CNN.

Just goes to show that the larger media outlets just don't take enough time to explain the issues as they assume all we want to hear are and are capable of grasping, are sound bites .

God help us with the problems of the reds against the world that is all we need.. And since Thai reverse engineering truly believe shit flows up hill without a pump & it's a great idea to save on parts & take the best lowball prices . Not to mention you can purchase any type of degree your hearts desire online.

And to add to what has been said Thai's don't listen to anything & just do it the way they think is going to work. Scary!I hope this last event in Tokyo forces them to scrap the ideas of grandeur & stick to safe renewable energy.

Hell the politicians alone could sustain wind generators with all the hot gasses spewing from their mouths.They can't even make a drain work in the road & don't know how to crown a road properly so the water goes in the right direction. I just can't see trusting the can I make 6 million baht on a dead blowout prevent-er type scenario. I know Soutpeel & I see it 2 different ways, but I don't see this country anywhere near ready for extending more nuclear facilities till they get a grip on the more mundane technical challenges. We should have listened won't cut it later.Not to mention they burn tires & plastic regularly without regard to the environment. Save a baht with the top end corruption ....just throw the refuse on the fire :(

Any country that needs another country to design and build a nuclear power plant is not technically advanced enough to have one. But I am very biased on this issue and believe mankind has no business whatsoever messing around with a technology that has such unfathomable dangers when things go wrong. So far the world has been fairly lucky. Doesn't mean they can deal or have any control over unforseen events. I designed and built a passive solar heated house in Palmer Alaska that used zero additional heating sources. Design temperature used was -26F. Not too much can go wrong with approaches like this. Ronnie Ray Gun on his first day in office, signed an executive order destroying tax incentives for wind and solar and then began the anti-solar propaganda that still thrives to this day. Very hard to sell oil to people who heat their house for free. Solar energy comes in many forms not just photovoltaic cells... Thailand could easily be heating ALL hot water with cheap cheap solar hot water heaters.

Edited by bunta71