hi

i have a few questions for you guys hope you can help me

i have to renew my tax sticker for my car (i year old car) my questions are:

1- can i do it without bringing the car

2- if possible would i only need my blue car book or more

3- what would it cost i have a 1 year old toyota vios

thanks in advance

rick

Yes you need only the blue book and the Insurance paper, in the blue book you should have a white paper with the price of last years tax on

thanks for the replies i dont have a white paper or the prices in my blue book maybe because last year the

toyota dealer organized everything i guess i will just go and see

cheers

Paying the annual road tax and getting the new sticker is darn easy in Thailand. You could pay a nominal sum at any insurance agent of the same insurance you carry on the vehicle, you could go to your auto dealership and pay them a slightly higher paperwork fee to do it for you, or if you live near a Thailand "Land Transportation Office" it is real easy to do in person, even if you do not speak, understand, read or write Thai. You need your blue registration book, the proof of insurance and some baht. It was my experience on a Toyota that the annual fee was the exact same the first five years and on the 6th year the annual fee dropped about 100 baht. In our blue book they list the annual fee I paid each year and the number of doors seem to have something to do with the annual road tax fee. A four door truck cost more than a two door truck to pay the road tax.

The same DLT office will fill out any change of address forms, in Buriram they have a "pick a number tag" queue system, so a number flashes, and they were helpful. It seems to me one of the easier Thailand Government procedures you could do without a wife present to translate. Once I turned in the paperwork at the counter in Buriram they asked me to wait about 10 minutes so they could do the paperwork. If you drop off the Blue book and proof of insurance at your insurance office or auto dealership it may take several days as they do not necessarily go EVERY day to the same Department of Land Transportation Office.

I believe on year 5 of a motorcycle, and year 7 of a car or truck you need a "safety inspection" document along with the proof of insurance to obtain the annual road tax sticker. That safety inspection is not a challenge to pass or very expensive.

• 4 months later...

Yes, Chris, some time ago. You need to show the insurance to get the tax (the compulsory insurance has a tear off slip at the bottom, which the DLT retain) so the extra sticker served little point.

Initially the insurance had to run for exactly the same period as the tax, but that is no longer enforced as it was considered too difficult to extend compulsory insurance for one or two months to cover the full second annual tax period - new vehicles are insured by VIN number initially prior to being fully registered and taxed, so the insurance usually starts a month or two before the tax.

Blue Book Only.If you are away from your Registered Province, a friendly local can use his i.d card and pay for you.All Legal.

Not sure why you need the "friendly local" or his i.d card. DLTs don't record who does the annual registration, just that its been done (although some DLTs may apparently apply their own sometimes strange rules).