Election Set For June/July . So No Turning Back Now

Lite Beer

Election set for June/July, so no turning back now

EDITORIAL By The Nation.

30150737-01.jpg

The first national ballot since last year's violence is a chance for the people to decide the country's future

So, we have got a tentative date - or a tentative week to be exact - for a House dissolution. The general election is expected to take place at the end of June or early July after the prime minister said he would dissolve the House of Representatives at the first week of May. Whether the whole country is totally ready or not, Thailand is going to the polls for the first time since the country's political divisions were tragically and bitterly deepened by political turbulence in April and May of 2010.

Idealists will argue that democracy can't be made to wait. The election, to them, is long overdue and it must be held come what may. Others, not necessarily those who support Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's insistence that political peace must come first, will keep their fingers crossed. Both camps have their points, but once the House of Representatives is dissolved, the debate will become

academic.

Conditions will not change at the end of June or beginning of July. Thailand will still be anti-Thaksin on one half and "red" on the other. Their polarity has been aggravated by events that started with his ouster and culminated in last year's bloodshed. But there is no turning back now. Whether it's for democracy's sake, or whether it's a gamble, the coming election will test our national character, our bonding, and our resolve to get through this mega-political crisis without more lives lost and blood spilled.

The election will move forward the key challenge, which remains that Thais must find a way to end the hatred that has been threatening the nationhood. Ideological differences are fine, as long as people advocate them without demonising the other side. Both camps of Thailand's political conflict have crossed the line. That was the easy thing to do. The hard part is to get back to where we were before the "colour split" took hold of our nation.

A lot will depend on the politicians. Their election campaign will not only decide who wins and who loses the parliamentary battle, but also dictate the overall course of the country. If they aim to win at all costs, they will only seek to make what is already very bad much worse. Hatred will be inflamed. Reconciliation will be a forgotten word. The poor will be made to resent even more. The rich will be pulled further away from the spirit of sharing.

But in the end, which way Thailand goes can be mostly up to us. If we decide it must be this way, that is. The politicians can switch sides, or cut a deal, or form new alliances. In doing all those things they will find "reasons" to justify their flip-flopping. They will try to drag us along through altered ideologies or agendas, telling us to trust them because they are on the right track. The truth is, if they try to inflame hatred or compound fears, the politicians will be leading us further astray. And they can do it if we let them. Evidence of that has been rampant.

We have always been told about the importance of a "democratic election", about how necessary it is that a country that has gone through what Thailand has gone through must "give the power back to the people" and let them decide. In the real Thai context, however, the coming election will be just a "form" if all it does is promote hatred and instil more fears. Democracy is supposed to promote understanding amid starkly different opinions and encourage freedom of expression as well as respect for it. We can't count on the politicians to advocate those real values of democracy, and don't have a choice but take our own initiative.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-13

The election will only shift a few seats and the conflict will continue without offset or delay immediately after the election. Wake up Thailand. The wheels keep falling off your silly little cart. You have the potential to outstrip all your neighbouring countries but you keep tripping yourselves up. When will you open your eyes? post-4641-1156694005.gif

The election will only shift a few seats and the conflict will continue without offset or delay immediately after the election. Wake up Thailand. The wheels keep falling off your silly little cart. You have the potential to outstrip all your neighbouring countries but you keep tripping yourselves up. When will you open your eyes? post-4641-1156694005.gif

Thailand are already legends in tier own mind why do they need to prove anything to anyone lol

I have three questions for people here on TV who understand the political situation but more important is i need that be some people who know the laws of Thailand.

It is needed , those three answers so I could figured out a riddle about any need of the dissolution of Parliament.

First .. Why is the general need to dissolve parliament?

2nd .. Is it required by law or the Constitution of Thailand?

3rd .. Was this practice in previous elections or is it something new?

I would appreciate any qualified and competent answer.

Then, i would be able to understand what is now very strange to me.

Now chaps , no vote rigging , buying votes , collusion, intimidation , murders , bomb attacks, just whatever it takes to make this a true democracy vote by the people for the people , oh sorry this is Thai democracy, now that's another story.:D

I have three questions for people here on TV who understand the political situation but more important is i need that be some people who know the laws of Thailand.

It is needed , those three answers so I could figured out a riddle about any need of the dissolution of Parliament.

1. For it to be a general election the parliament is dissolved and all seats declared vacant. This is a common practice in parliamentary democracies. This is different from a by-election when a casual vacancy occurs due to resignation or death of the sitting member. I think it needs a royal decree to formalise it.

2. Not sure, but I think it is in the constitution. It usually is as it basis of forming government.

3. Yes

EC hints at electoral dates :26 June or 3 July 2011

BANGKOK, 13 March 2011 (NNT)- The Office of the Election Commission of Thailand hints at electoral dates of 26 June or 3 July 2011, if PM Abhisit seeks House dissolution in early May.

Mr. Suttipol Thaweechaikarn, Secretary General of the Election Commission mentioned that if the Government sought House dissolution in early May and obtained a royal decree on the new general electin, an election date is mandatory by the Constitution to be scheduled within 45 days and not exceeding 60 days after the dissolution. Hence 26 June and 3 July 2011 are among the possibilities.

An EC meeting is to be held later on Tuesday, to discuss the three organic law drafts to govern a new general election due to take place. Should the consideration of the draft bills is delayed, EC can resort to Section 7 in the Constitution and issue its announcements instead.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-13 footer_n.gif

From the OP:

An EC meeting is to be held later on Tuesday, to discuss the three organic law drafts to govern a new general election due to take place. Should the consideration of the draft bills is delayed, EC can resort to Section 7 in the Constitution and issue its announcements instead.

I think it would be best if all these 'minor' details are sorted out as soon as possible. If the EC relies on something generic there are bound to be complaints, court cases, request to committees to investigate, etc., etc.

On the other hand if things can't be sorted out in a short time, no choice. At this moment in time new elections are more important than minor details in Election Law.

BANGKOK, 13 March 2011 (NNT)- The Office of the Election Commission of Thailand hints at electoral dates of 26 June or 3 July 2011, if PM Abhisit seeks House dissolution in early May.

Mr. Suttipol Thaweechaikarn, Secretary General of the Election Commission mentioned that if the Government sought House dissolution in early May and obtained a royal decree on the new general electin, an election date is mandatory by the Constitution to be scheduled within 45 days and not exceeding 60 days after the dissolution. Hence 26 June and 3 July 2011 are among the possibilities.

nntlogo.jpg

This could be very critical situation. This could be attempt of the Government to fool, overplay whole opposition.

Dissolution of Parliament, even if it is required by law, may be in the current political climate, the climate of hostility and mutual accusations and countless scandals, very bad for the whole country. In case the Government use very simple trick for to eliminate any opposition voice for quite time. Without violating the law or Constitution. Moreover, just playing by the rules as law and Constitution demand and say.

How come?

Possible scenario could be like this.

There is an obligation, by the Constitution and it is precisely stated that elections must be scheduled within 45 days of the dissolution of Parliament (not more than 60 days) and of course, the Government will be not in rush to do so quickly. But it refers to a SCHEDULING date of the elections but not to do ELECTIONS.

Suppose that the dissolution of parliament comes in next seven days. That mean 20th March. Then there is time of waiting. It has to be maximum of two months to proclaim exact date of elections.

This would mean that the day of election elections will be known 20.May.

But here could be a problem as there is no any obligation for the government who will then specify the date as the date of the election. It can be 21 May, just days after the expiration of two months, but this is probably as much possible as Government may specify 21.December as election day. If there is no obligation for the government in this regard, by the law or constitution(as i think so) it can be any day that only Government know or wish to be. That is what we don't know.

What we do know is that PTP and UDD should not to believe to Government that the day of election will be soon after that 2 months(from the moment of dissolution of House) expire.

Experience what PTP and UDD gained in dealing with this Government, probably will make them be extremely careful this moment. Otherwise they can be defeated and overplayed before election and to approach to election demoralized.

Whatever happen, one thing is for sure. After dissolution of House, who will rule the country?

That will be just and only Government for certain period of 2 months, at least. Without any voice of people so they(Government) could make anything they want to-without any resistance as will be no House. In that 2 months, anything is possible to do.

If i wrong in this, i will be glad.

He's coming back beware, i personally think the odds now are 60/40 in his favor, loved his quote today.

"If you vote [for Puea Thai Party] to win by a landslide, I would come back to solve Thailand's economic problems and make the country boom again within six months," Thaksin told about 50,000 red shirt members who gathered at the Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Klang Avenue last night.

If they win he is in.

1. For it to be a general election the parliament is dissolved and all seats declared vacant. This is a common practice in parliamentary democracies. This is different from a by-election when a casual vacancy occurs due to resignation or death of the sitting member. I think it needs a royal decree to formalise it.

2. Not sure, but I think it is in the constitution. It usually is as it basis of forming government.

3. Yes

Thanks for fast reply. Yes, i know in EU is common practice but there, after the Parliament is dissolved and "sits declared vacant", Parliament continue to work and have session. It is even for certain time, after the results of elections are publish and verify by EC and officials. There is a period for to change the members, sits after elections. I am not sure but i think dissolution here means will be no Parliament as ruling institution in that time. Just Government.

nntlogo.jpg

This could be very critical situation. This could be attempt of the Government to fool, overplay whole opposition.

Dissolution of Parliament, even if it is required by law, may be in the current political climate, the climate of hostility and mutual accusations and countless scandals, very bad for the whole country. In case the Government use very simple trick for to eliminate any opposition voice for quite time. Without violating the law or Constitution. Moreover, just playing by the rules as law and Constitution demand and say.

How come?

There is an obligation, by the Constitution and it is precisely stated that elections must be scheduled within 45 days of the dissolution of Parliament (not more than 60 days) and of course, the Government will be not in rush to do so quickly. But it refers to a SCHEDULING date of the elections but not to do ELECTIONS.

Suppose that the dissolution of parliament comes in next seven days. That mean 20th March. Then there is time of waiting. It has to be maximum of two months to proclaim exact date of elections.

But here could be a problem as there is no any obligation for the government who will then specify the date as the date of the election. It can be 21 May, just days after the expiration of two months, but this is probably as much possible as Government may specify 21.December as election day. If there is no obligation for the government in this regard, by the law or constitution(as i think so) it can be any day that only Government know or wish to be. That is what we don't know.

What we do know is that PTP and UDD should not to believe to Government that the day of election will be soon after that 2 months(from the moment of dissolution of House) expire.

Experience what PTP and UDD gained in dealing with this Government, probably will make them be extremely careful this moment. Otherwise they can be defeated and overplayed before election and to approach to election demoralized.

Whatever happen, one thing is for sure. After dissolution of House, who will rule the country?

That will be just and only Government for certain period of 2 months, at least. Without any voice of people so they(Government) could make anything they want to-without any resistance as will be no House. In that 2 months, anything is possible to do.

Once the PM dissolves the House the Election Committee is responsable for setting an election date and organising the election. In the time in-between the current PM / cabinet will continue in a minimal caretaker position. No new policies, no controversial policies, just day-to-day government work already agreed upon.

Edited by rubl

LOL the EC MUST set the election date to fall within 45 and 60 days of dissolution (often the PM will get together with the EC to confirm the date in advance so he can announce the date when he dissolves Parliament) so it looks as if the PM sets the date. No chance for the conspiracy theorists on this one :)

nntlogo.jpg

How come?

Once the PM dissolves the House the Election Committee is responsable for setting an election date and organising the election. In the time in-between the current PM / cabinet will continue in a minimal caretaker position. No new policies, no controversial policies, just day-to-day government work already agreed upon.

Yes Rubi, that what you are saying is a situation that would be acceptable in developed countries and countries that have traditional or at least the basic principles of democracy as a way of life, social life.

Further, it would be acceptable to countries which do not have pressures from outside-in foreign policy issues and especially which do not have internal problems and divisions and conflicts. So, I am afraid Thailand can not afford to stay without House of Representatives this moment.

This moment, Thailand is not a stable country at both the basis and the question is whether the government can maintain existing only in terms of technical maneuvering, without House of Representatives.

However, i don't think it is needed to dissolve House of Representatives, at all.

They could be dissolved declarative but not really. Especially because i am not sure that dissolving is ordered, requested by Thai law or Constitution.

Hypothetically, there is a risk, in this situation. Could happen something what for is needed House of Representatives voting so if they are dissolved in the meaning that they will not have sessions, what would be then? If the Government try to solve a problem by itself but if it's needed voting in House of Representatives, oppositions might feel like overplayed and that could lead to some new protests, right?

BTW, on the other hand, if MP will not work for certain 2 months, i wonder will they have some money for to be out of work?

Thailand could save huge amount of money if MP will be not paid for that 2 months at least.

Yes Rubi, that what you are saying is a situation that would be acceptable in developed countries and countries that have traditional or at least the basic principles of democracy as a way of life, social life.

Further, it would be acceptable to countries which do not have pressures from outside-in foreign policy issues and especially which do not have internal problems and divisions and conflicts. So, I am afraid Thailand can not afford to stay without House of Representatives this moment.

This moment, Thailand is not a stable country at both the basis and the question is whether the government can maintain existing only in terms of technical maneuvering, without House of Representatives.

However, i don't think it is needed to dissolve House of Representatives, at all.

They could be dissolved declarative but not really. Especially because i am not sure that dissolving is ordered, requested by Thai law or Constitution.

Hypothetically, there is a risk, in this situation. Could happen something what for is needed House of Representatives voting so if they are dissolved in the meaning that they will not have sessions, what would be then? If the Government try to solve a problem by itself but if it's needed voting in House of Representatives, oppositions might feel like overplayed and that could lead to some new protests, right?

BTW, on the other hand, if MP will not work for certain 2 months, i wonder will they have some money for to be out of work?

Thailand could save huge amount of money if MP will be not paid for that 2 months at least.

When the House is dissolved (and confirmed by Royal Decree) the Election Commission must hold a new general election between 40 - 60 days after the Royal Decree.

During the time in-between the government is not supposed to tackle anything but issues already agreed upon. That means anything needing voting in the House cannot be handled, but needs to wait till AFTER a new PM / cabinet / house has been installed and Royally accepted.

Any other combination may be interesting speculation, but unacceptable either de-jure or de-facto. The behaviour of the former PM Thaksin in 2006 while in/out/in caretaker position is one of the reasons of the military coup in October 2006.

Finally as for saving money with MPs in function but not working, good idea. I often wonder what MPs do, the visible antics of MP Jatuporn come to mind in this ;)

(PS you need glasses, my member name is 'rubl', not 'rubi'

Edited by rubl