Register Marriage At Us Embassy For Soc Sec?

I wasn't sure where to post this but, it is a money matter.

I started to receive US Soc Sec benefits a couple of months ago and my Thai wife was recorded as such by Soc Sec. I would like to know if I need to do anything at the US Embassy, so that, upon my death she will eventually receive benefits to which she would be entitled.

Thanks for any info.

Edited by Tiger7Moth

Unless your wife is a US citizen or has lived with you, in the marriage, for at least 5 years in the US, she will not be eligible for any benefits. If she is not a US citizen or permanent resident, the Social Security Administration will not pay any benefit without her having lived in the US - no matter how long you were married or how many kids you have. Your children, if US citizens and minors, might be eligible for some benefit until they reach maturity.

Why can't people here at TV use the perfectly good Search function above QUICK SEARCH

If you had, just putting US Social Security you would have found and exhaustive thread

titled:

U.s. Social Security Survivor's Benefits Surprise: Your Thai spouse not eleigible

Why can't people here at TV use the perfectly good Search function above QUICK SEARCH

If you had, just putting US Social Security you would have found and exhaustive thread

titled:

U.s. Social Security Survivor's Benefits Surprise: Your Thai spouse not eleigible

http://www.thaivisa....social+security

Wise guy....

So Thai spouses are also not entitled to their lanky husbands other incomes as well....?

Incomes from sources such as.... pensions.... incomes from rental.... incomes from trusts.... just to mention a few more closely to home.... LOL :jap:

Thx for your good and time saving suggestion too.... :)

titled:

Sorry, I couldn't think of a search argument that I thought would work. I am surprised something as general as US Social Security would produce good results.

Guess some people are simply not as wise as you.

However, I would add that your impolite tone will never encourage anyone to do as you suggest.

Cheers

I say this only because you said your wife applied for or wants to apply for a social security number. I had the same thoughts when I married over here and talked to my Stateside tax consultant about it. Being that I only have two incomes; social security and a pension my tax consultant files a short form for me. In doing so she found that I pay more income tax as filling as married than I do when filling as single. The difference was over $800.00 for me so I have not done anything to register my marriage with the U.S. Government and will continue to file as single as I have no plans of taking my wife to live in the States at all. I have made other arrangements for her to have income after my death.

Unless your wife is a US citizen or has lived with you, in the marriage, for at least 5 years in the US, she will not be eligible for any benefits. If she is not a US citizen or permanent resident, the Social Security Administration will not pay any benefit without her having lived in the US - no matter how long you were married or how many kids you have. Your children, if US citizens and minors, might be eligible for some benefit until they reach maturity.

However, the OP's surviving Thai spouce could be eligible for a monthly VA Death Pension if he was on active duty in the US military during specified periods (war time).

I say this only because you said your wife applied for or wants to apply for a social security number. I had the same thoughts when I married over here and talked to my Stateside tax consultant about it. Being that I only have two incomes; social security and a pension my tax consultant files a short form for me. In doing so she found that I pay more income tax as filling as married than I do when filling as single. The difference was over $800.00 for me so I have not done anything to register my marriage with the U.S. Government and will continue to file as single as I have no plans of taking my wife to live in the States at all. I have made other arrangements for her to have income after my death.

Such an honorable man.... thinking about another human who have been providing unaccountable amount of comfort for however long....

I salute you highly....

You are a very rare gem amongst many of the tarnished stones around here.... LOL :)

You don’t have to do anything to register your marriage with US government. You do need to apply for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to include your non-citizen/permanent resident on your tax return.

I am curious how filling single could ever result in a lower tax then filing married. The only way I can think of is if your wife has income in Thailand which would be included.

TH

The ITIN is now only available (at least for most) in and as a part of the process of filing your US tax return.

I also find it strange that filing single on pension is cheaper than married so it must be spouse has income that would be included.

You don't have to do anything to register your marriage with US government. You do need to apply for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to include your non-citizen/permanent resident on your tax return.

I am curious how filling single could ever result in a lower tax then filing married. The only way I can think of is if your wife has income in Thailand which would be included.

TH

My wife has no income, it is just that in America retired older people pay more taxes than a single retired older person. It has been that way for years.

My wife has no income, it is just that in America retired older people pay more taxes than a single retired older person.

If she has no income, it's 100% certain you would pay less taxes filing jointly, vice single. Unless, of course, you're paying no taxes already by filing single -- meaning your adjusted gross income for 2010 was $9350, or less. If, however, your gross income is more than $9350, you'll pay taxes by filing single. But filing jointly, taxes won't kick in until your gross is $18700.

Being that I only have two incomes; social security and a pension my tax consultant files a short form for me. In doing so she found that I pay more income tax as filling as married than I do when filling as single. The difference was over $800.00

Impossible.

See this thread for more info HERE