Legal Question

wasaskater

ok...

1st off I ask that you please do not be offended with the way I ask these questions...I am trying to keep it as simple as possible.

- this has been going on for about 2 yrs.

- I am not interested in moving at this time.(He just wants us to leave...which as a western woman is completely wrong to me)

- I am Thai, but my Daughter is a Dual National

- We have both been verbally assualted by a Thai National and his Farang Sig. Other.

- My Daughter was physically assualted by the Thai National

- We finally stopped giving them chances, and went to court.

- We were not present @ the court(we were never told) and they were charged Thai (2yr probation and 500 baht fine) Farang(1yr probation and fine)

- I never got to speak with the Prosecutor or the Judge

- These attacks are unprovoked, and typically seems like He(Thai) has been drinking .

* What I would like to know is what to do from here?

He has continued with the verbal assualts, slander etc.

*Is there any laws that can stop him, like when he prevents me from entering or leaving me home?

*Is there any such thing as a restraining order here?

Like I said earlier we are not interested in moving...I can not understand why the abuser gets to kick the victim out of the house when the abuser is the criminal.

Thank you all again for your help!

PS: I was told by a policeman not to let my husband try to stop them, because as a farang he could be deported. The Thai Man's Husband is a farang...so why can he do it?

Do you want specific advice from the women posting here or has it been posted in ladies in error?

Can I just ask you to clarify some things in your op...

You are thai?

Your husband is not thai?

The people harassing & abusing you are a thai man & his farang wife?

You have won a court judgment against them but they are still carrying on the harassment & abuse?

If I have understood your topic correctly the above points are correct so I would assume that with the court judgment in your favour then there is a proven record of their abuse. In which case I would assume a call or visit to the police should the first course of action. Also keep a diary & try videoing the abuse & harassment as it will go towards taking them back to court/being incarcerated.

You state they "want you to leave". Have they given any indication why, was there some sort of history between your & your neighbours before this series of harassment began, had there been a falling out? I only ask as there is usually a reason why one set of neighbours turn against another in such an extreme way. Is there a way to make peace over any possible past issues?

When my mother in law (thai) had an issue with a neighbour who threatened her over her complaints about his house building & attempt to build over her land boundary it was resolved by a few of hubbies mates coming round to advise the neighbour that although her son was living in Uk his mum was not unprotected & that they would be keeping an eye on things. It worked & MIL had no others issues with the neighbour. Not the official route for these kinds of disputes but quite effective none the less.

Good luck with everything.

Boo you are correct...except that it is a Thai Man and His Farang husband...who are my neighbors.

I am Thai...but have lived overseas so long, that most people consider me a Farang now. I have gone to the police and made the daily reports...but they seem scared to make case report.

I have witnesses, but they are Farang, so I am worried they may have visa problems if they are asked to testify. I also have video/audio evidence. I never pushed to go to court until I did, because I did not want it to be a he said, she said thing.

I really have no idea why they do not like us(this was not until Aug of last year).

The only thing I can think of...is that they were trying to sell this room for the owner for 2 yrs, I did not know that when I bought it. Anyways we saw a for sale by owner sign, and it was the same price as an empty shell, so we bought it for my Mom who was dying of stomach cancer(wheelchair bound).

However, it was 3 months after we bought it at a birthday party that he came up to us...drunk I might add,..and said he did not care what anyone else thought, he did not like us. We left the party right then. We do not drink, not that we are against that, but we just don't. So I do not think it is that. I do not have any problems with Gay Men...their body their choice. It couldn't be about Nationality, since my Husband is of the same...and they have tried to do anything to him...yet. They only other thing I can think of is that we are western thinking Thai women. Although, my daughter thinks maybe we know something we shouldn't, but don't know it...we are really at a loss. Although the other people have joined in when it went to court...which I think happened because we were weaker, than them...we did let it go for a year and a half(I bought my own sec. cameras by then).

I posted it here because as Thai Farang women, you all might understand my point of view better..than a Thai or Western Man would.

I kind of thought if I knew the exact law...if there was one...that it would get the police to make a case report...I do not know.

They keep asking us to let it go...but they keep doing it. I do not want to wait for they to finally kill us!

This last time when they called the police(threatening military police)...saying they could get us kicked out/deported...and a man with a gun showed up...and come to find out he was not from the Tourist, Jomtien, or Pattaya police...she came to the conculsion that he wasn't a real cop...and locked herself in her room.

Thank you for your Input/Help Boo and SBK!

the time before that we were eating a bowl of soup with 2 friends...and he came out and told us to 5hut up 8itch...this was @ around 5 pm. This started my daughter up...who never used to curse...with the you can not tell us to 5hut up! to which he replied yes I can because you are both 8itches & %hores. That is a typical situation. Like I said we used to just ignore them...but once we got the cameras, my daughter would tell him to stop/defend herself...and that was when he got violent.

I remember this now, its still going on then? I am afraid I don't know the laws on this very well, but from what i understand is the police wont' do anything until AFTER something has happened to you. Sad but there you go.

Honestly, they sound like bullies and that they figure they can bully you. Perhaps get a man on your side to come have a word with them.

If I understand the OP's last post correctly, they sent a man with a gun to threaten her, and have in the past physically assaulted her daughter. To me this sounds like a bit more than something you can just ignore.

I think you should consult a lawyer.

As for threats of deportation, I would not pay any attention to those assuming your husband has his visa in order.

• 4 weeks later...

yes...still the same people...and they have enlisted others to get involved. I do not know any lawyers here, and was warned to be careful. We have closed up shop for a couple months...doubt anyone would want into a community like this. I expect it will only get worse since low season is upon us...and they have to make more money to keep up their current lifestyle.

Why can't your "farang husband" go and discuss this with the other person's "farang husband?" Then perhaps you can find out the real reason why this is happening to you. (and share with the readership) To find the solution, you really need to know the root cause. I don't think the police are equipped to deal with every little domestic squabble.

I wish I could say something helpful, but I'm afraid I can't. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like having the neighbours from hell. I can only offer sympathy - if the police won't do anything, particularly with video evidence, perhaps they have a connection with some influence. I hope things get better for you.

Where exactly do you live? Bangkok Pattaya or in the Boonies. I am going to assume you are in the Pattaya Jomtien area as you said ".and a man with a gun showed up...and come to find out he was not from the Tourist, Jomtien, or Pattaya police...she came to the conculsion that he wasn't a real cop...and locked herself in her room."

I think you need to get your Farang husband (Dutchman) I assume and get him to talk to the Thai mans Husband (from this I assume same sex marriage?) and try and see what the root cause is previously suggested. Also try make a connection through a friend with a local high ranking policeman. This person may be able to pursuade them to leave you alone. The court did not seem to work.

You mentioned they got probation. Should they get into hot water this may mean they face jail next time.

It is hard to advise without being on the ground or knowing the cause.

Bottle of Black label lots of smiles when visiting the most Senior Policeman you can see.

Lawyer for advice.

Pay some undesirables or motorbike taxis to be unofficial bodygaurds around your place haveing paid them a small sum with the promise of more when the problem goes away.

In the boonies "Pooyayban" then the distrcit boss would fix it.

Edited by maprao

Not sure I would agree with paying undesirables as 'guards' as these people have already shown a propensity to violence and it could be seen as an act of aggression with a bad outcome. Persuading them to move may be the only answer to this problem. Is it possible to arrange for some sort of infestation that would not spread to your property? Evil I know, but it might work.

• 3 months later...

Not sure I would agree with paying undesirables as 'guards' as these people have already shown a propensity to violence and it could be seen as an act of aggression with a bad outcome. Persuading them to move may be the only answer to this problem. Is it possible to arrange for some sort of infestation that would not spread to your property? Evil I know, but it might work.

Sorry for not posting sooner.

I just wanted to share somethings I learned.

1. They do not need a reason to not like you...if they don't they don't. Trust me we asked!

2. They may get away with a crime...but it doesn't mean if you do the same thing...you won't be punished. It is wrong...if not worse...since we should know better.

3. The got away with their crimes...because they were only charged as a first time offence each time. The names were misspelled...so the computer could not connect the two.

4. The Thai Man is gone...the day he was suppose to see the police to accept/deny his charges...he went into the hospital. The day he was suppose to get out...he "died". Whether he is really dead or not I do not know...but about 2 weeks after it happened...I have noticed a big change in my daughters personality.

5. We are still blamed for his death...and even though he may not be dead...his partner has moved on to someone new...3 days later...and we are learning to move on too!

6. Hiring someone is not always best...the whole bigger better deal.

7. It is so nice to see my daughter laugh and smile again.

Thank you everyone for your advice!!!!

Edited by wasaskater