Toyota Discrimination Policy

I doubt it had anything to do with the finance company.

Who lost?

1) Toyota

2) The sales person through lost commission

3) The sales person's family, through a loss of commission

4) THAILAND.

If the terms of any deal are unacceptable - walk away. As Cardholder found there are others who will not be so greedy.

One day -not sure when- Thai people will get the message!

yeez

one sales staff at one dealer uses "farang" to explain why a Thai buyer does not qualify for less than 30% down, and you get all winded up

By the way I am farang, and on my 2010 Vigo 4x4 auto 3,0 4 door I payed 25% down, as i have done on previous vehicles. It is all about credit rating, Thai creditrating

as for Ford, low down and low interest is the only way they can sell any of the trucks manufactorer has in stock, so they lower credit rating requirements.

Toyota waiting list for Vigo/Fortuner is minimum 45 days from factory

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who lost?

1) Toyota

4) THAILAND.

If the terms of any deal are unacceptable - walk away. As Cardholder found there are others who will not be so greedy.

yeez

one sales staff at one dealer uses "farang" to explain why a Thai buyer does not qualify for less than 30% down, and you get all winded up

By the way I am farang, and on my 2010 Vigo 4x4 auto 3,0 4 door I payed 25% down, as i have done on previous vehicles. It is all about credit rating, Thai creditrating

as for Ford, low down and low interest is the only way they can sell any of the trucks manufactorer has in stock, so they lower credit rating requirements.

Is there a problem with Ford trucks here as in 2 yrs I have only seen 2 Ford Rangers driving about but hundreds upon hundreds of the other makes?

Who lost?

1) Toyota

4) THAILAND.

yeez

Is there a problem with Ford trucks here as in 2 yrs I have only seen 2 Ford Rangers driving about but hundreds upon hundreds of the other makes?

Ford sells a couple of thousand Rangers in LOS a year, while Toyota and Isuzu sells +120.000 each

MRO, where are you we need more exact stats :unsure:

Who lost?

1) Toyota

4) THAILAND.

yeez

Ford sells a couple of thousand Rangers in LOS a year, while Toyota and Isuzu sells +120.000 each

MRO, where are you we need more exact stats :unsure:

Might have been 3 or 4 around the Phuket area but then I don't look for them so maybe more.

Have to agree with you here here KB, despite a point of principle with the OP's post, its not worth chomping your chops over 5% extra deposit.

Toyota set the deposit/ payment amounts but the purchaser must satisfy the finance companies terms.

We have just ordered a double cab Toyota Vigo 3L auto, 25% down and 60 payments. After two house visits from Ayudha Auto Leasing everything now sorted.

I was surprised about the second visit as I was not at home and the wife had to deal with their questions.

My wife has a small sowing machine/tailoring setup (moobaan sweatshop!) and it does not generate enough money for the monthly payments, the wife again had to explain that her foreign husband will be paying!

Our previous pickup despite putting 50% deposit down and 36 payments, a garrantor was still required, but we were in rented accomodation in those days. That was with Nissan who use Siam leasing.

Still waiting for the truck delivery, its been 4 weeks now, dealer said maybe 6 - 8 weeks, personally I reckon more like after Songkran. :ph34r:

Morning. Just up after a good nights sleep and have reviewed the 'overnight' posts.

I should perhaps have made it clear for Spoonman's sake (as Prakhonchai Nick did in one post) - this is a purchase by my Thai girlfriend and she is being discriminated against.

Yes, it is my money and yes, I could buy for cash. I don't wish to as I want to protect cash for other projects.

Therefore, I was looking for the best vehicle in my price range and I wanted finance over 4 years. The specifics all become part of the buying decision.

Toyota initially edged on corporate status, reputation and quality of vehicle. However, that edge was not big enough that it could not be lost on such a discriminatory policy.

At the end of the day Ford offered a 10% deposit with 0% finance over 4 years (I had to point out the availability of that offer because the salesman did not know). The comparative deal saves me 124,000 Baht over the 4 year period and, frankly, the Ford is a decent vehicle.

I will be emailing Toyota later this week. Whether it is a finance company requirement (rather than Toyota), a company like Toyota should not be assocoated with such discrimination.

Good idea. And don't forget to attach a photo of the Ford. B)

It is fairly clear to me that a good number of posters do not mind being "pissed on" by Thai businesses.

That in itself is despicable, but even more so when a Thai woman is discriminated against because she happens to have a Farang boyfriend.

Those of you who feel there is nothing wrong in being treated differently are so entrenched in your positions that you will never learn.

There remains nothing more to be said.

It is fairly clear to me that a good number of posters do not mind being "pissed on" by Thai businesses.

That in itself is despicable, but even more so when a Thai woman is discriminated against because she happens to have a Farang boyfriend.

Those of you who feel there is nothing wrong in being treated differently are so entrenched in your positions that you will never learn.

Feel free to change the system if you feel so strongly, and none of us beleive you are never pissed on as you say!!! peop;le are discriminated all over the world its not right but shit happens so make a difference or accept it with complaining..

I actually think its hilarious they discriminated against one of there own !!!

As for getting pissed on by Thai business, can't recall anytime that's happened to me (touch wood) but then I usually have my assistant sort out purchases of any significance as Iam disadvantaged due to language barriers that plus the fact its nice to have someone else wade through all the bullshit.

Knowing Thais, I believe she was told in a nice way she doesnt have good enough credit rating to pay less than 30% down. Blame farang, no face lost ;)

Morning. Just up after a good nights sleep and have reviewed the 'overnight' posts.

I should perhaps have made it clear for Spoonman's sake (as Prakhonchai Nick did in one post) - this is a purchase by my Thai girlfriend and she is being discriminated against.

Yes, it is my money and yes, I could buy for cash. I don't wish to as I want to protect cash for other projects.

Therefore, I was looking for the best vehicle in my price range and I wanted finance over 4 years. The specifics all become part of the buying decision.

Toyota initially edged on corporate status, reputation and quality of vehicle. However, that edge was not big enough that it could not be lost on such a discriminatory policy.

At the end of the day Ford offered a 10% deposit with 0% finance over 4 years (I had to point out the availability of that offer because the salesman did not know). The comparative deal saves me 124,000 Baht over the 4 year period and, frankly, the Ford is a decent vehicle.

I will be emailing Toyota later this week. Whether it is a finance company requirement (rather than Toyota), a company like Toyota should not be assocoated with such discrimination.

There is no need to accept poor deals from whatever dealer it may be. They will try it on anyway they can when there is a farang involved.

Another option is to go to Bangkok, that's where the best deals are!

JH

Knowing Thais, I believe she was told in a nice way she doesnt have good enough credit rating to pay less than 30% down. Blame farang, no face lost ;)

I think you need to read the posts !

I will repeat for the slow-witted:- The finance position is clear - 25% down no questions asked, less than that a guarantor is required. That is about as sophisticated as credit ratings get in Thailand.

(The bank books with balances of over 500k did not feature!).

Just a thought,

As your lady was making the purchase with no collateral, your money, does make me wonder if this dealer/financier has had a few of these transactions in the past and the farang has moved on, as many do for various reasons :rolleyes:, leaving the penniless lady having big ............................

financial probs, which the finance company is pissed off dealing with. Would it have made a difference if your lady had a family member become guarantor.

As for Toyota loosing out, don't think so, as they can't keep up with demand now.

Just a thought,

As your lady was making the purchase with no collateral, your money, does make me wonder if this dealer/financier has had a few of these transactions in the past and the farang has moved on, as many do for various reasons :rolleyes:, leaving the penniless lady having big ............................

financial probs, which the finance company is pissed off dealing with. Would it have made a difference if your lady had a family member become guarantor.

As for Toyota loosing out, don't think so, as they can't keep up with demand now.

The sales-person was just following the flow chart. The rationale (not that it interested me) was that the Thai could go to Falangland and leave the finance company having to repossess the car !

My G/F has more than adequate collateral. The garage did not know I was funding the deposit - she had more than enough in bank books to show 'collateral'. That is without resorting to a couple of chanotes.

A family member will act as guarantor - a cousin with a salary of 9,000 baht p.m. but because she is government that is OK. My GF could show monthly income of 28,000 (without additional income from rice land).

Toyota lost out. So did the sales person. Neither will care.

Toyota lost out. So did the sales person. Neither will care.

The sales person might care if he/she was for some reason acting unilaterally and following your correspondence with Toyota Bangkok and Japan lose their job.

As an interesting aside I was with a farang in Surin last week at the Toyota showroom looking at a new car. Staff very helpful, indicated a 20% down payment (not in farang name though), gave a full detailed list of monthly payments, and all this without the help of a Thai with us.

Pity I could not have suggested Cardholder went to Surin. In my mind it was clearly the policy of the salesperson or the local Toyota branch.

Perhaps Cardholder would care to tell us which Toyota Branch he had problems with so it can be avoided.

I think you need to read the posts !

I will repeat for the slow-witted:- The finance position is clear - 25% down no questions asked, less than that a guarantor is required. That is about as sophisticated as credit ratings get in Thailand.

(The bank books with balances of over 500k did not feature!).

very few will finance mia farang with 25% down and no thai guarantor at first car purchase/finance, but of course depending on if she is public servant or emplyed with substantial income taxes payed. As for credit rating, they are facts (income, taxes payed and number of credits with amounts and history), and then up to finance to calculate risk.

If she doesnt have a good one, and you dont have a good one in Thailand, no way Toyota risks finance with ordinary low down. Ford and Chevy does

500k in bank doesnt mean a squat

a long time substantial cash flow does. So does credit rating

Unless there was no intention of actually paying out the vehicle then no, I don't really see the issue of the extra 5% deposit requested.

You see no issue Spoonman? <deleted> pathetic!

This is discrimination!

No farang present and 20% down payment - but Thai lady having Farang boyfriend is told 30% deposit required!

I hope next time you go shopping your bill is loaded 50% because you are a farang!

I hope Cardholder hauls Toyota over the coals for this. I would!

as for the farang discrimination, happens daily out here mate.

What is pathetic is someone who had Toyota monies now buying a Ranger, talk about a disappointed compared to the Vigo !!!!

That makes it ok then :rolleyes: because too many people have your view point with their head in the sand and accept the treatment obediently with the mindset that "well TIT"......

Actually for decades Ford has been the King of trucks everything Toyota knows they learned from them...

So off base on both accounts as per usual..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I intended to buy a Toyota pick up today.

However, when the sales person told my better half that she would need a 30% deposit "because you have a Farang boyfriend", I told them to stick their car up their arse.

My missus is now going to be a proud owner of a Ford Ranger

Sorry about your luck and sorry about the FORD thing. :D

Seriously, this was some racist BS they tried to pull on you. I would have told them the same thing but would go to the other Toyota dealer and get it from there, I am sure it was that particular sales guy or a particular dealer. I would also send the email to Toyota Thailand and CC to Toyota Japan.

And to Spoonman, it's not a issue of extra 5% or 10%, it is the wording "because you have a Farang boyfriend". IF you don't see the problem with that, then you need to grow up before you post a reply.

:clap2: :clap2:

Unless there was no intention of actually paying out the vehicle then no, I don't really see the issue of the extra 5% deposit requested.

You see no issue Spoonman? <deleted> pathetic!

This is discrimination!

No farang present and 20% down payment - but Thai lady having Farang boyfriend is told 30% deposit required!

I hope next time you go shopping your bill is loaded 50% because you are a farang!

I hope Cardholder hauls Toyota over the coals for this. I would!

Why would they load my shopping bill by 50% ?

Dont see anywhere in the thread that Toyota was rorting anyone on the price of the vehicle, as for the farang discrimination, happens daily out here mate.

I can see how this so called discrimination is upsetting, I once stopped to have my motorbike tyre pumped up, normal price maybe 1 or 2 bht I had to pay 10bht as man told my GF Falang have many money, seriously this is Thailand and duel priceing and the odd strange occourance like yours is common place accept it or go back to your home country, my truck from Toyota 5000 bht deposit, car from Mazda 5000 deposit but was paying cash would be different for finance I guess. stay happy...

Been in Thailand nearly 2 yrs now and only once have I heard this you have a Falang BF thing and that was from an old man, every dealer I have been to have been fantastic and could not do enough to help me so this discrimination you experienced is very rare, but why on earth would you go and buy a Ford Ranger when there are many more Toyota dealers who would more than likely have treated you with respect!!!

Only comment I have is to say 2 years eh?? And already a seasoned expert :whistling: ..

Don't overlook the fact Kenny that this was a THAI person buying, not a farang. The Thai was being discriminated against because she has a farang boyfriend.

Is that acceptable to you?

No it is not acceptable to me or anyone but what can you do in a country that does have this duel priceing thing, do you think this countries attitude to us will ever change, unfortunately no never in a million yrs, if he sends email or writes to Toyota he will never get a reply, you just have to bite your lip when living here not good but something you just have to do.

Displaying your naivety and lack of experience here as he DID change it and I personally change it every single day myself by not allowing it and either insisting on proper treatment, going around it or voting with my feet as CH did and then complaining to the people who matter. While not in all cases, most DO listen, it is a matter of face to them as well as a possible loss of business and there are good business people here who do understand that and work hard to provide a satisfactory service or product, all others can muck off..

That's why I suggested he follow up with emails or letters as it is certain that Toyota has not worked so hard to get on top just to have them sabotaged at the bottom by whomever..

And who cares if he would get a reply from Toyota or no? They will get a message and they will deal with it... or not, if they want to keep loosing business.

Exactly! Quite a presumptuous bit of cynicism on his part..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually thinking in retrospect most manufacturers have their own financing divisions now and I'm certain Toyota does as does Ford so it still snaps back to Toyota's policy in some manner be it dealership level or corporate.....

Edited by WarpSpeed

What is pathetic is someone who had Toyota monies now buying a Ranger, talk about a disappointed compared to the Vigo !!!!

That makes it ok then :rolleyes: because too many people have your view point with their head in the sand and accept the treatment obediently with the mindset that "well TIT"......

Actually for decades Ford has been the King of trucks everything Toyota knows they learned from them...

White man not like being discriminated against BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

If the issue with the additional 5% was going to make the overall price of the vehicle more expensive I would definitely have a different view on the situation but as it doesn't I don't need the extra agro in my life sweating the small things.

As for your Ford VS Toyota scenario, the sales figures and actual resale value in Thailand says otherwise, once the T6 is released well thats another story and ford will finally have a product that will be competitive to the Vigo...... Thai's still wont buy it though.

Thai's still wont buy it though.

Well yes but we all know what that says, don't we?? For me I don't gauge my decisions on anything a Thai does or doesn't do as it's usually the antithesis of logic and common sense..

You mentioned you had other people to do the sweating for you that makes a difference when you detach and insulate yourself like that..

Edited by WarpSpeed

White man not like being discriminated against BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You really make yourself look like a <deleted> Spoonman !

It is a THAI that has been discriminated against.

You are banging your head against a brick wall Cardholder. Some posters have no idea what the relevant point is here.

It could be relevant to the lady at Toyota in Nang Rong as Toyota HQ have asked for details of the showroom and salesperson.