Jackie Chan Says Hes Too Old!

westybrook

Hong Kong action movie star Jackie Chan said he is getting too old to do the stunts that made him famous and hopes to prove to audiences he can act too.

"The life of an action star is very short. I want to be an actor like Robert De Niro, like Dustin Hoffman or Clint Eastwood who in their 70s or 80s can still act," the 51-year-old Chan said at the world premiere of his latest film "The Myth" at the Toronto International Film Festival.

What are your thoughts on this, mine was 51 you have to be kidding :o I love jackie I think he's great but sadly I don't think he will be much without his kung-<deleted>!

Lowers my opinion of him... Can't get more prententious than those comments saying he wants to be a DeNiro or a Hoffman. Would believe most studio heads would know that and not waste their money.

He's a comedic kung-<deleted> fighter... and one of the best, certainly, but know your niche, Jackie.

:o Easy endure, I wouldn't say clown, and especially to his face :D

What he can do, he can do well, in fact better than anyone today I think. Hes martial arts I will never talk bad about. His acting mind you I will. Its not awfull, I will say that, but I do feel Jackie needs to stick to comedy if he is to make it without the fung-<deleted> chops. Ok he may never be taken seriously if he remains with comedy forever, but I can't see him doing well in anything else. But I hope he proves me wrong!

I love Jackie!

Edited by westybrook

I'm not a Jackie Chan fan but I have seen his stuff and in his last movie he obviously was on a down hill slide..he is right about being too old. His last movie, I think, was an attempt at transitioning to acting...I didn't see enough of it to develop an opinion about his skill level....his past performances didn't show much acting skill...in my opinion.

In his last few movies he has been typecast as the same character. He always seems to play the humble Chinese guy who nobody will give the time of day too. He eventually gets pissed off and starts kicking ass much to everyones amazement.

His movies have become stale and it seems that every movie he is in, has the same jokes and same action scenes.

I do like Jackie Chan as a person and think he has made the correct decision. It will be interesting to see what his next acting role will be.

If you want to evaluate his acting ability in a mostly unbiased manner run a movie and turn off the sound and only watch his face. I wonder if he could act like Luara Durn doing her anquished sour crying face for which she's famous...I doubt it but maybe I'm wrong...and...of course he could start to develop his acting ability and end up great....time will tell.

Those who have seen most of his movies will know that he has some acting and comic abilety too, ofcourse hampered by his lack of english articularity..that is ofcourse in the eyes of westerners as us...

He will probaly never by a grate character actor, but still he does have more to offer than his physical provess....aspecially in the comic department....

And for those who do not know..he is actually a quite accomplised director and producer too.....

If he puts as much focus in acting training as he does other things I say she has a shot to be very good. But if he thinks he is already at that level and tries to make films he will fail. As DJ Pat has already pointed out he has taken on some more harder roles before and whatever short comings his performance might have had might have been more of a directing problem than acting. His role in Gorgeous wasn't heavy in fighting and was a charming little film as well.

I am a huge Jakie Chan fan so I wish him the best of luck. But I will admit I don't want to see him become a sad verison of his own career. The has been actor thing is something I don't want to see him go through.

His role in Gorgeous as thaibebop points out wasnt as heavy in fighting as in his other films but the fight scenes in it are awesome, and I agree about it being a charming film too.

I haven been impressed with too many of his recent films but some of the older ones are fantastic. Armour of God and Wheels on Meals are great.

Maybe thats the problem, has his time come and gone already?

Remember his third Hollywood film, 1986's "The Protector" ? Alongside Danny Aiello they had him swearing and <deleted> and blinding and Jackie re-shot a Hong Kong version of the film he was so embarressed by it. The film wasn't that bad either.

Even though he has been somewhat type cast in Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Kinghts as well as Around the World in 80 Days he has still shown more acting skills within these movies as they are western scripts which calls for him to do more than the scripts for his HK films. So, I think as long as he is given a well written script and solid directing I feel he stands a chance to be a little more than he has been, however, De Niro and Hoffman he will never be. They have studied their whole lives, Jackie has too much catching up to do to get to their level. Having said that though I will also say that actors shouldn't be compared. They are all different and are given different roles to play, so it's unfair to say what one can and can't do based on what they have done. No one really thought De Niro could do comedy, but he did. So, maybe Jackie can do more and we just don't know it yet.