Pattaya At Songkran

Deserted

Hello all. I have a conference to go to in the dusit thani during songkran. I won't be staying there and am a little concerned about the extent of songkran. Pattaya has just about the worst reputation going for it. Though I will be in the conference between midday and 7pm, I was wondering whether festivities start before and finish after that. If so, are the parts of town which are quieter than others, especially near the dusit thani?

I will need to be formally dressed so have concerns.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are in a car, lock your doors. I have had my doors opened and water thrown on me when the windows were up.

It does carry on into the evening in some areas. Probably Dolphin Circle would be one of those areas.

If you are not in a car, you will get wet.

My past experience is that the water throwing, face pasting & general reveling slows (to nearly nil in most places)... after dark. But, just in case, gotta drip-dry suit, krap?!

B)

I got water/pasted at 10:30 PM on a baht bus, not on a peak day.

One can hope that the influx of russians, and the brits leaving in droves, the Songkran situation in Pattaya might actually improve :whistling:

Yermanee

That's an interesting point. It's not clear to me how most Russians will embrace the strange Songkran spirit in Pattaya.

One can hope that the influx of russians, and the brits leaving in droves, the Songkran situation in Pattaya might actually improve :whistling:

Yermanee

That's an interesting point. It's not clear to me how most Russians will embrace the strange Songkran spirit in Pattaya.

I think we might witness a couple of very angry russians.:lol::lol::lol:

Yermanee

Yermanee

Yermanee

Maybe people will get the message not to mess with the Russkies? So that begs the question, how to pass as Russian for Songkran?

Yermanee

Yermanee

Maybe people will get the message not to mess with the Russkies? So that begs the question, how to pass as Russian for Songkran?

Walk around with a blond stunner hanging on your arm :o:jap::jap::o

Yermanee

Edited by yermanee

its bad beyond beleif, some idiots blasting a pump gun straight into your eyes, now there into adding chilli powder and beleive it or not even acid, you will also get covered in a variety of powders. the water is usually flithy stinking stuff, then theres the ice. get a car lock your doors and dont open for anybody not even old thai ladies

Assuming you are coming from Bangkok, fly in to U Tapao and charter a helicopter from U Tapao to the hotel assuming they have a helipad on the roof. Book a room at the hotel and don't go out, use room service.

Just wondering what company would schedule an event at that time?

Yermanee

Yermanee

Wear the most ridiculous clothes you can find, leave the shirt fully unbuttoned and make sure you have a bottle of beer Leo in your hand at all times, plus a mullet if you're male, that should work!

JH

Assuming you are coming from Bangkok, fly in to U Tapao and charter a helicopter from U Tapao to the hotel assuming they have a helipad on the roof. Book a room at the hotel and don't go out, use room service.

Just wondering what company would schedule an event at that time?

Chess???

"The 11th BCC Thailand Open 2011 will be held from 11 to 17 April at the outstanding Dusit Thani Pattaya."

absurd to have an event during this time!!!

there is another thread running

but would love to confirm the dates of the water party in pattaya

i was pretty much safe after dark except for the peak day(s)

that was the year before last

if you want to get splashed

ride the baht buses

they are prime targets

but then who isn't????

cheers

its bad beyond beleif, some idiots blasting a pump gun straight into your eyes, now there into adding chilli powder and beleive it or not even acid, you will also get covered in a variety of powders. the water is usually flithy stinking stuff, then theres the ice. get a car lock your doors and dont open for anybody not even old thai ladies

I agree that it is unbelievably bad. Apart from the main Songkran day, the rest of the week is a time for angry and/or sadistic people to cause as much discomfort or inconvenience to other people as possible.

If cool water doesn't work - use high pressure. If that doesn't work, aim directly for the eyes and ears. If that's not enough, add ice...and then finally other dangerous additives such as urine, acids or dyes.

Perhaps instead of having our yearly whinge about Songkran we should offer ways for people to survive (other than leaving town).

I'm a motorcycle rider. Here's my advice:

1. Stay at home during the day if possible.

2. Shop at night, but wear a protective poncho because water throwers will operate late into the night for the whole week. For early risers, early morning is probably the safest time to go out.

3. Don't go anywhere the day before and during the final main Songkran day. All the roads are gridlocked anyway, so travel is almost impossible in most areas and the water throwing is very intense.

Presumably this is the Bankok Chess Club, if it is somebody living Thailand has organised the event at the height of songkran in the worst possible place. Check Mate!, still you will only be a pawn in the day events and yes it goes on into the knight

250 people from 50 differnt countries in for a shock, but a tournament to remember, try and get zip lock bag for valubles, condoms are exellent for mobile phones as you can still see dial pad. maybe put a change of clothes in a water proof bag and change at the hotel. Naklua to the left and pattaya to the right.:ermm:

As above i agree 100% with chuckd - the only way you will NOT get wet is if you are in a vehicle. It is impossible to go about your daily business in Pattaya during Songkran!

JH

Yes. Agreed. Possibility of getting soaked is about 100% during the day up until at least 7 PM. And the morning water usually starts earlier than it is "supposed" to. I watched some mean spirited locals soak a poor clerk type of girl with a garden hose as she was just trying to walk to her job at the hotel at about 0700. I have been to Pattaya 10 times and once during Song Kran. I absolutely hated it. I don't mind the water for a weekend or a few days, and it can even be fun for a day or two walking around in your bathing suit, giving and taking, but it goes the entire week. Heck, you will see flat bed trucks and pickup trucks with 50 gallon barrels of water and pumps and hoses etc. It is impossible to walk to the mall, see a movie, go to the beach or go to a restaurant or just plain go anywhere without being soaked, or being pasted with flour which does ruin good clothes.

One thing I noticed the week I was there during the "holiday" was the meanness of some of the locals. I definitely think many are venting their frustrations or small amount of hatred or resentment towards foreigners. While I understand it, I didn't like it. Still, I think it is a good way for some of the locals to blow off steam. Kids and young adults need someplace to pour their energy. I just will avoid that week.

Which idiot set up a conference in the middle of Songkran? Must have been one of these highly paid conference organisers who know nowt (nothing) about nowt, as we say in Yorkshire.

"...wear a protective poncho because water throwers will operate late into the night for the whole week,,,"

I feel this statement is just... wrong. We've lived in Jomtien for 5+ years, and I have rarely, if ever, seen anyone operating late into the night during Songkran around here. Ok, maybe on the 1st and last days, there may be some. But, for the whole week...? Not in my experience.

:wai:

"...wear a protective poncho because water throwers will operate late into the night for the whole week,,,"

I feel this statement is just... wrong. We've lived in Jomtien for 5+ years, and I have rarely, if ever, seen anyone operating late into the night during Songkran around here. Ok, maybe on the 1st and last days, there may be some. But, for the whole week...? Not in my experience.

Last time i checked the Dusit was nowhere near Jomtien...... i think everyone is speaking about downtown Pattaya

JH

I've had ice cold water thrown on me at 10 pm in Pattaya about 4 days before the main event - in a side soi. I nearly got into a fight over it because the Thai who threw the water took a few swings at me but I didn't return the favour.

3rd Road can be active with water throwing until sunrise.

Before you start rubbishing people's comments how about riding around Pattaya during Songkran week late a night. Don't wear a poncho, that way you won't forget. I don't know about Jomtien.

"Before you start rubbishing people's comments how about riding around Pattaya during Songkran week late a night. Don't wear a poncho, that way you won't forget. I don't know about Jomtien."

Sir, you miss-read my post. How about re-reading it and this time noticing the part that clearly states it is about Jomtien:

"We've lived in Jomtien for 5+ years, and I have rarely, if ever, seen anyone operating late into the night during Songkran around here."

So, who's rubbishing who...mate?