When It Rains So Much Stops And Closes.

Richb2004v2

It seems to have been raining for longer periods that usual recently. Instead of half hour showers or downpours we seem to have constant light rain for hours at a time. During this I've noticed that many small shops simply shut down and go home whilst it rains. Today we found our usual noodle shop was shut, a shop outside the bank we use was shut, and a Hoi Tod stall we use was also shut. Last week I went to get my car washed. It had been raining but stopped. Both the car wash places were shut due to rain. I also went to a photograph shop and commented to the shop keeper about how nice and cool it was. He said it was bad for him as he had no customers all day because of the rain! The positive side is that the roads are also often deserted when it rains. Plus we went to Tesco and it was almost empty, which is great. It's not like it's a flood, or even heavy rain, it's just light constant rain. I sometimes wonder if they aren't part Gremlin. :D

It's always surprised me how everything grinds to a halt out here with a bit of rain.

In the UK, it sometimes rains constantly. The rain in the UK is cold as well, not like taking a warm shower as it is in Thailand. Yet we just get on with it.

Why do the Thai's need to stop everything?

By contrast, the Airport Plaza Mall in Chiang Mai was just STUFFED with people. Everyone wanted some place they could stroll around and shop or eat without wearing rain gear. I agree that there was far less motorcycle traffic... even at rush hour.

It's always surprised me how everything grinds to a halt out here with a bit of rain.

In the UK, it sometimes rains constantly. The rain in the UK is cold as well, not like taking a warm shower as it is in Thailand. Yet we just get on with it.

I think it's just about what's normal for the country.. Unlike the UK, Norway doesn't come to a grinding halt when it snows a little bit..

I think it's just about what's normal for the country.. Unlike the UK, Norway doesn't come to a grinding halt when it snows a little bit..

The Uk doesn't come to a halt when there is light snow. It comes to a halt when the roads are covered and the councils fail to clear it. As a consequence people can not safely or easily drive or walk around in it. It becomes an actual impediment to travel. There is nothing the Thai government can do about light rain as, light rain is not an impediment to anything. There is a big difference. If the Thai streets were flooded then that would be a similar comparison to heavy snow in the Uk.

^ but no matter what precautions British Rail take they still come to a grinding halt because it was 'the wrong type of snow' that fell and they weren't ready for it!!!

Exactly, or there was a few leaves on the track?

OP are you talking shops or outside stalls?

jb1

Outside stalls, but with more than adequate cover. The car wash places were also completely covered and it had stopped raining when I was there. I'm not talking about heavy monsoon rain, I mean light spots.

I guess that to Thais a light rain is the equivalent of it being 0'c in the Uk. When it's like that people do tend to avoid going out.

I remember when my wife first went to the Uk as soon as it rained she ran for the nearest cover, even if it was very light rain. She was convinced that rain made her sick. It took a lot of time to convince her it wouldn't. A Thai colleague that visited the Uk was the same. Who knows, maybe rain does somehow make them ill, after all we are not all the same.

The leaves on line problem is not just confined to the Uk. It effects rail lines all over the world in the exact same way. It sounds preposterous and was picked up by the media, but it is a real problem.

Edited by Richb2004v2