Why Are There So Many Gays In Thailand?

Shivek

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because it is generally accepted.

I agree.

According to the people who are supposed to know everything all young adolescents have gay tendencies. That is why you find youngsters spending most of their time with the same sex and shunning the opposite.

In a society where homosexuality is frowned upon and kept behind closed doors, these tendencies are suppressed and mostly do not continue into full blown adult homosexuality.

In a society that accepts it (and some seem to encourage it), you will end up with a higher proportion.

You also have to remember that in your own country they may well not be so open about it.

There are no facts or evidence to indicate there is a larger proportion of gays in Thai society than in any other. Perhaps they don't feel they have to "hide" as in other societies, so they are more visable to those who are looking for them.

Likewise, there are no facts or evidence to support the view that a society that is more tolerant of diversity and are less dicriminatory toward gays increases the incidence of homosexuality among the poplulation.

There are no facts or evidence to indicate there is a larger proportion of gays in Thai society than in any other. Perhaps they don't feel they have to "hide" as in other societies, so they are more visable to those who are looking for them.

Likewise, there are no facts or evidence to support the view that a society that is more tolerant of diversity and are less dicriminatory toward gays increases the incidence of homosexuality among the  poplulation.

i dont agree

here in new york in chelsea and the west village are well known gay areas and logically gay people flock to there to be with like minded people

i know its not thailand but you did say A society

if people want to sunbathe they go to the beech

smoke weed go to amsterdam

meet gay people go somewhere that its accepted

lovejoy, we don't disagree. My point was that in a permissive society, no more people become gay than in a restrictive society. Loongs post suggests that more become gay in an adult society that is permissive than one that is restrictive, as the young have some form of ambiguous sexuality that is affected by permissiveness. This is what is not supported by facts or evidence, not your point that gays tend to congregate where they can exist in a more permissive society.

sorry didnt pick that up

i agree with you 100%

thais don`t have the judeo-christian hang-ups that western societies do, about either homosexuality or sexuality in general. therefore, they don`t have to hide it (although i have know a couple of closeted gays in thailand...). i think that if you were to pay attention, you would also notice a distinct lack of the kind of "we`re here, we`re queer, get used to it" kind of debate/activism in thailand that you see in the west. why? perhaps because there`s no need for it....

i really don`t see why this is an issue (or a thread) in the first place though. not accusing anyone of being a homophobe, but, if the shoe fits...

I made no claims of research in my previous post and I did end with

You also have to remember that in your own country they may well not be so open about it.

However it IS accepted and supported by research that Youngsters have latent homosexual tendencies.

I do also remember reading research (with rats and mice) that in the case of overcrowding, ie population increasing too rapidly, males often become infertile and turn homosexual.

So is it possible that overcrowing has something to do with the trend?

I made no claims of research in my previous post and I did end with

However it IS accepted and supported by research that Youngsters have latent homosexual tendencies.

I do also remember reading research (with rats and mice) that in the case of overcrowding, ie population increasing too rapidly, males often become infertile and turn homosexual.

So is it possible that overcrowing has something to do with the trend?

i`m not sure it`s a trend in the first place. there don`t seem to be any more or less than there were when i first went to thailand back in `88.

as for overcrowding, i think you`ll find just as many gays/ladyboys, etc. in less-crowded places like samui, c.m., or phuket...

What Causes a Person To Have a Particular Sexual Orientation?

There are numerous theories about the origins of a person's sexual orientation; most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors. In most people, sexual orientation is shaped at an early age. There is also considerable recent evidence to suggest that biology, including genetic or inborn hormonal factors, play a significant role in a person's sexuality. In summary, it is important to recognize that there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation and the reasons may be different for different people.

Is Sexual Orientation a Choice?

No, human beings can not choose to be either gay or straight. Sexual orientation emerges for most people in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

scource :- http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/answers.html#whatcauses

Can't say that I've personally noticed any increase in the amount of gay men.

I have noticed though that every car on the road seems to be silver. Everytime I ride my bike I'll see them in front of me, behind me, over taking me, parked by the side of roads etc. Jeez, they're everywhere. And they're all bloody silver!

At least that's what it seems like to me. By the time I get home I'll have completely forgotten about seeing other coloured cars but all the silver ones will still be fresh in my mind.

Think about it. :o