Another Stirling Effort From The Bib

theoldgit

Whilst travelling along Sukhumvit, towards On Nut, I noticed that cars coming in the other direction couldn't turn right into Ekkamai because there appeared to have been some sort of accident, no police on the scene but motorcycle taxi guys were doing their best to control traffic, I assume the accident had just happened, traffic was building up.

Dropped my good lady off at On Nut and started my return journey, thinking the hold up would have been long cleared up I stayed on Sukhumvit. As I approached Ekkamai the traffic was gridlocked, so the wrong decision. When I eventually reached the Ekkamai junction, there was a damaged motorcycle on the ground, hope the rider is ok, and the motorcycle guys were still directing traffic, I was suprised to note there were still no police officers on the scene.

I assumed the police were dealing with another incident somewhere and could not attend, and that proved to be the case. About 50 meters along the road there were our BIB, out in force, in full view of this accident, stopping motorcyclists at will, of course they could stop bikes at will as the accident was filtering them out. I did wonder why at least one one of them couldn't have attended the accident.

Is it just me who thinks many of the police officers are a complete waste of space and wonders at the apathy of their managers?

It's not just you, they are a waste of time!!

Whenever there is massive tailbacks at lights here in Pattaya it's usually down to the dibble operating the lights manually...... or some baht bus stop somewhere stupid with the dibble watching them & doing nothing - useless!!

JH

Their "managers" are anything but apathetic!( However, they are pathetic.)

They require a quota as they get a percentage of the take so, fear not, they are on top of things. Clearly that their men could continue on in their assigned duties rather than tend to an accident scene, with injuries, shows how dedicated they are.

Thai police don't attend accidents unless requested by one of the parties involved, injuries or otherwise.

And in addition to that, vehicles involved in accidents are not moved until an insurance assessor has viewed the accident. They arrive on a motor bike, but can't imagine them getting there too quick.

Why are there no lady cops? Maybe they would be more inclined to work and be less corrupt? Certainly works in my office

The girls are more inclined to work, so why would they become a cop?

Yes, there might be a stigma attached to being a copper in Thailand. Must admit, I have never come across a cop I have liked

Police are there to serve and protect! Not these ones in Thailand though. They serve and protect themselves only. They only act if they can earn some money.

Scumbags.

Serve and Protect their additional income at all cost. :)

Olgit,

Maybe time to take a short vacation outta country...

Free your mind.. a couple weeks outta Thailand can be a cleansing thing. Allows you to return and face the realities again.

And to remember..

There are no police in Thailand

post-46099-0-21363300-1300601768_thumb.j

Police are there to serve and protect! Not these ones in Thailand though. They serve and protect themselves only. They only act if they can earn some money.

Scumbags.

:thumbsup: Very well put.

In my younger days I was a policeman in the USA. "it's not my call, I'm not getting involved" is a common attitude by police and other Government workers, not just in Thailand.

I accept it's not just in Thailand that police officers don't want to do the boring stuff, but I thought the object of traffic police, even in Thailand, would be at least deal with the traffic congestion I witnessed this morning even if they couldn't be bothered, or as someone pointed out, aren't required to, deal with an accident - rather than pull over motorcyclists a few meters down the road.

Have to say that I share "onnut's" view on the Bangkok "Police Force".

Thai police don't attend accidents unless requested by one of the parties involved, injuries or otherwise.

Thats very true, but also if either party has insurance, they do not stay and direct parties to go to police station.

I had an accident near there just about a month ago, was rear ended by the motorcycle taxi,he was badly hurt.

Police came, first question was-you have insurance? When i said yes, he was gone in a flash of light but did say which station we both must go.

hey anyoone reckons most of thai police got wide backs? does that mean they goto the gym or something?

but most of them got tummys out too... but those huge wide backs are intimidating if i am ever gonna get into a fight on the street

In my younger days I was a policeman in the USA. "it's not my call, I'm not getting involved" is a common attitude by police and other Government workers, not just in Thailand.

I accept it's not just in Thailand that police officers don't want to do the boring stuff, but I thought the object of traffic police, even in Thailand, would be at least deal with the traffic congestion I witnessed this morning even if they couldn't be bothered, or as someone pointed out, aren't required to, deal with an accident - rather than pull over motorcyclists a few meters down the road.

Have to say that I share "onnut's" view on the Bangkok "Police Force".

The traffic police are the cause of traffic congestion in Bangkok.

What do you expect when starting salaries are about 7,000 Baht a month and they have to equip themselves with their own guns and motorcycles? We really have no idea do we? Thing is, if they were paid more, they may just then get on with focusing their attention on reality of crime and enforcement rather than ways to survive. It is as much the administrations problem as the police. I have no time for the police but I do understand their situation and can empathise (not sympathise). ermm.gif

Thats very true, but also if either party has insurance, they do not stay and direct parties to go to police station.

I had an accident near there just about a month ago, was rear ended by the motorcycle taxi,he was badly hurt.

Police came, first question was-you have insurance? When i said yes, he was gone in a flash of light but did say which station we both must go.

Just curious, did you have any problem at the police station? I've often read stories (which I suspect are greatly exaggerated) about farang guys claiming they were blamed for accidents that were clearly not their fault just because they were farang and they were there.

Just curious, did you have any problem at the police station? I've often read stories (which I suspect are greatly exaggerated) about farang guys claiming they were blamed for accidents that were clearly not their fault just because they were farang and they were there.

Funny enough, the other party did try. However Insurance guy was present both times, so they could not dispute the law.

Police officer who took the report, was actually pretty friendly, just filled out the report and let insurance handle the rest.

From what i have learned having lived here for a while and driving and having accidents, if you have insurance-police does not really get involved so no incentive to put a blame on a foreigner.

In total in 8 years i have had 3 accidents, all 3 i was not at fault. All 3 times i had full insurance and all 3 times did not have any hassles. simply called insurance and waited for them to come. Of course every time, other parties tried to "extort" me and threaten with police. Just ignore them and wait for insurance.

What do you expect when starting salaries are about 7,000 Baht a month and they have to equip themselves with their own guns and motorcycles? We really have no idea do we? Thing is, if they were paid more, they may just then get on with focusing their attention on reality of crime and enforcement rather than ways to survive. It is as much the administrations problem as the police. I have no time for the police but I do understand their situation and can empathise (not sympathise). ermm.gif

I dont agree! I had a case where I paid staff much more than the going rate because i wanted to build the best team up possible. it backfired. half of them left coz they got bad debt through gambling and the other half thought I was soft and took everything else they could. give them an inch sort of thing.

the Thai police would be worse if they got paid more. they become the way they are because they have power!

who on this forum has ever had to promote a staff member to a manager or superviser? 9 x out of 10 they will stop working, there old work buddys will stop talking to them because they have gone on a power trip, always better to bring in a new manager.

Funny enough, the other party did try. However Insurance guy was present both times, so they could not dispute the law.

Police officer who took the report, was actually pretty friendly, just filled out the report and let insurance handle the rest.

From what i have learned having lived here for a while and driving and having accidents, if you have insurance-police does not really get involved so no incentive to put a blame on a foreigner.

In total in 8 years i have had 3 accidents, all 3 i was not at fault. All 3 times i had full insurance and all 3 times did not have any hassles. simply called insurance and waited for them to come. Of course every time, other parties tried to "extort" me and threaten with police. Just ignore them and wait for insurance.

Thank you, and yes you're right. When I had my accident Thanachart had someone there within 15 minutes, and there was no problem. It's difficult to stress the importance of having good insurance from a quality reputable company here. Cheap insurance is like cheap tires, not a bargain and potentially dangerous.

they also have to pay to get a good spot on the roads ( and pay the higher ups a part of what they collect)

Why are there no lady cops? Maybe they would be more inclined to work and be less corrupt? Certainly works in my office

Ask a Thai girl and you'll have your answer. Be careful to stand back out of spitting range when you ask. :rolleyes:

Ask a Thai girl and you'll have your answer. Be careful to stand back out of spitting range when you ask. :rolleyes:

But thats a valid question. There are none!

There Immigration female officer but no police at all.

Does anyone really know? is it prohibited job for women or whats the reason?

its the good o'l boy system, no girls allowed

Scumbags.

That phrase 'serve and protect' I assume it's American in origin, the police in the UK don't have any particular phrases, other than, if memory serves "you're <deleted> nicked my son!" :)

but it always makes me ask "serve who and protect what?"

I went some time ago to a local police station here in the sticks, during the waiting time i saw 4-5 female cops going with their male colleagues somewhere, they where all going inside their pickups heading somewhere, so there are female cops.

I also remember a news with a video of a cop boss groping a young female cop in his office, i think as the cops are basically one of the biggest "mafia" like organizations, for a female, it must to be a very difficult choice to join the force, as her superiors would be all males, so unless she is the daughteer of the chief in charge, i don't see an easy scenario for them....