Laws Governing Standing Up During Anthem Playing In Cinemas

eagleflyinghigh

i have nothing to add to this conversation other than... i really enjoy the montage.

Yeah, it's a bit like a Bedlam thread and in that spirit I'll add that I really hope a Russin opens a restaurant up here in Chiang Mai. I'd kill for some nice Beef Stroganoff or a Chicken Kiev.

That's interesting. Neither dish seems to be a standard on the Russian restaurant menus in Pattaya. Chicken Cordon Bleu is very similar to Kiev, so I'm sure 100 places in CM have that.

Chicken and pork both. But Chicken Cordon Bleu is not similar to Chicken Kiev, except for the fr ied boneless ckicken aspect. Why should I suffer a Thai cheese and low grade ham dish, when I could be eating this?

post-25601-0-08421300-1300635458_thumb.j

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW: I go to the cinema quite a lot and I've got no hesitation in kicking the backs of the theatre chairs foreigners were sitting in and tellin' 'em to stand up for the Royal Anthem, but that's just me.

You must be a real swell guy. :blink:

Hi,

I can honestly say that every audience member in every movie I have ever watched in Thailand (mainly in CM) stood up for the King's Anthem, most bowed a little at the end.

At weekends I am at a local market and everyone stops what they are doing - though I have seen, on the rare occasion, the odd Thai continue to mill about between the stalls.

I have a friend who has lived here for over 8 years who now makes a point of not standing for the National Anthem (I have never been to the cinema with him) as he says something along the lines of 'monarchy is an outdated form of government and the sooner this place becomes a republic the better'... I just think he is rocking the boat unnecessarily.

Cheers

When I first came I never stood at the first couple of movies I went to see, but I soon started to comply. I believe in individuality and find it hard to accept that an informed public would all think exactly the same way and do the same thing. I don't think it is at all healthy.

FWIW: I go to the cinema quite a lot and I've got no hesitation in kicking the backs of the theatre chairs foreigners were sitting in and tellin' 'em to stand up for the Royal Anthem, but that's just me.

My bet is that he's also a Liar & has never done such a thing..:)

I don't mind the custom but I must say when attending film festivals and seeing four of five films a day, it does get tedious. But you can't really say, I already stood up today ...

My God man. Your standing up four to five times a day!

Ahhh, yes, I remember my teen years and my girlfriend's voice like it was just yesterday...

I have.

B) In my years living in Thailand I never had a problem of standing for the anthem at movies. I knew it was custom and did so out of respect.

One time at a bus station in Issan the anthem came on at 6 PM and the only sound was an annoying very loud static. Some tuk tuk or Motosai guy nudged me and motioned for me to stand. I complied as I listened to nothing but static. I noticed everyone stopping and standing but thougt it as some sore of air raid alert or somthing until I realized it was 6 oclock,

LL

When I first came I never stood at the first couple of movies I went to see, but I soon started to comply. I believe in individuality and find it hard to accept that an informed public would all think exactly the same way and do the same thing. I don't think it is at all healthy.

Thanks goodness someone else has the same opinion as me, refreshing to hear, the mob mentality in Thailand does not help anyone. Brainwashing no less as far as Im concerned.

I have.

What, you kicked the back of someone's Chair that they were sitting in because he/she wasn't standing up ??

What did you say & what was their reaction ??

Rather than being 'mob mentality' it's simply good manners. Why would you want to antagonise other cinema goers merely for the sake of standing up for 10 seconds to show a little respect to someone who's done more than most to hold Thailand together over the past half-century?

I remember as a child going to the cinema and everyone standing for the National Anthem. I cant remember when or why they stopped it though, but its no longer practiced in the UK as far as I know.

As for standing up when played in the Cinema here, you should, not that you want to but in respect for the Countries culture and respect for the King. Be polite , dont offend anyone.

dam_n individuality. The entire Planet thinks it's a bad idea to shit your pants. Is that unhealthy?

I find it rather disturbing that people would leave their home country, move somewhere else and complain about following a country culture because they think it is unhealthy or it is silly. Pretty pathetic in my IMHO. It is not for you to decide. You are a guest here.

I stand out of respect for Thai culture and the King. I also pause when I am in a position too at 8 and 6. Nothing wrong with any of it. I also happen to like the montage as well. The older one was better but still appreciate the new one

As for Pattaya.......I think it is about time to level the place and start over. There is not one redeeming quality about that place. Foreigners have made it a cess pool.

I stand out of respect. And furthermore, I think one would have to be a real peasant with no self respect to sit through it and talk crap like the OP said the mid easterners were. Assuming of course, one doesn't have a injury that prevents them from standing their should be no reason for them not to.

Rather than being 'mob mentality' it's simply good manners. Why would you want to antagonise other cinema goers merely for the sake of standing up for 10 seconds to show a little respect to someone who's done more than most to hold Thailand together over the past half-century?

Absolutely, 100%..

I still do not believe any Poster who says that they kick someone's chair in order to get them to stand up to show that same respect that you took about though endure..:)

I can believe it, I'm the guy that will shout at you across the entire theatre to shut the fuc_k up if you are talking during the movie. Think I've done it at least 10 times since moving here. It's always Europeans, Brits or middle Easterners. Just stating my experience, not insisting all people from those places do this. I then get thanked or at least smiles from everyone else in the theatre, mostly Thais. Always surprises me that people will put up with rude behaviour and say nothing but then be happy someone else stepped up and took care of it. If he says he kicks their chair I can see it.

The only person I've ever told to get up was my American friend who tried to stay seated saying "you don't have to get up" and me responding fiercely "YES YOU DO". As an American he should be painfully aware that the entire planet EXPECTS him to behave arrogantly and discount other peoples cultures and traditions in their own freaking country, so to actually perform the stereotype and re-enforce that is retarded, guess the rep is there for a reason. Is there a nationality I did not insult? Sorry if I missed you.

It is not for you to decide.

That's pretty much my point. Maybe it should be. Some would say that GW Bush did a lot for his country or that T.Blair did for his, but would you feel fine standing every time they appeared on Tv just because you had to?

That's pretty much my point. Maybe it should be. Some would say that GW Bush did a lot for his country or that T.Blair did for his, but would you feel fine standing every time they appeared on Tv just because you had to?

If I was designing a country, I wouldn't have it where you are required to stand like that to watch a movie, no it's not so much the standing as the sheepish required conformist behavior which I think does go against liberal democratic sensibilities. I had found it charming and exotic during my tourist years here, but that perception has long ago faded. But in this case, we did choose to come here (and also to the movies), and that's part of being here, and it really is no big deal. BTW, myself I have never witnessed someone I could identify as American refuse to stand at the movies.

Edited by Jingthing

I find it rather disturbing that people would leave their home country, move somewhere else and complain about following a country culture because they think it is unhealthy or it is silly. Pretty pathetic in my IMHO. It is not for you to decide. You are a guest here.

I stand out of respect for Thai culture and the King. I also pause when I am in a position too at 8 and 6. Nothing wrong with any of it. I also happen to like the montage as well. The older one was better but still appreciate the new one

As for Pattaya.......I think it is about time to level the place and start over. There is not one redeeming quality about that place. Foreigners have made it a cess pool.

Foreigners have made it a cess pool. A more correct comment would have been, "The Thai landowners, in their quest for baht, have rented out many areas to the nightlife industry which attracts many foreigners."

I stand at movies because I do not want to make the natives excited.

TheWalkingMan

Showing respect for an institution or a symbol (or a person) shouldn't be a foreign concept to westerners. I'm sure most farangs understand that certain "symbols," be it the American flag or the Christian cross, carry significant meaning to certain individuals beyond what the item is materially worth.

Have any of you ever been on a US military base? They play colors in the morning and at sunset. Everyone, even if you're driving in a car, is expected to stop in your tracks and stand at attention in the general direction of the ensign. Would that be considered "mob mentality" to comply? Would any of you Americans consider this to be a silly tradition? Why some of you would criticize something that is so deeply personal to the Thais is beyond me.

Showing respect for an institution or a symbol (or a person) shouldn't be a foreign concept to westerners. I'm sure most farangs understand that certain "symbols," be it the American flag or the Christian cross, carry significant meaning to certain individuals beyond what the item is materially worth.

Have any of you ever been on a US military base? They play colors in the morning and at sunset. Everyone, even if you're driving in a car, is expected to stop in your tracks and stand at attention in the general direction of the ensign. Would that be considered "mob mentality" to comply? Would any of you Americans consider this to be a silly tradition? Why some of you would criticize something that is so deeply personal to the Thais is beyond me.

A military base is a separate thing from civilian society so no, I doubt many people would have objections to nationalistic customs in such environments. Yes Americans stand for the National Anthem at sporting events, but not at the start of a grade D horror movie. There is also a Pledge of Allegiance recited in schools; that has been an area of controversy and litigation over the years, especially because it includes "Under God" which is inappropriate in a non-theocratic nation. It certainly isn't worth the flak to resist the local movie custom here even if you are so inclined (I'm not).

I do have some experience with these kinds of issues. During the Vietnam war, many young people including me refused to say the pledge in school as a protest against the war. That's what we thought then, in retrospect, I don't think was a good way to protest that. In any case, we did this, and nothing happened, no arrest, no jail, no punishment ... pretty impressive really, toleration of dissent, what a concept.

Edited by Jingthing

I have.

What, you kicked the back of someone's Chair that they were sitting in because he/she wasn't standing up ??

What did you say & what was their reaction ??

Yes i did. I said stand up as it is both customary and good manners. The reaction in every case was "thanks for letting me know".

I can believe it, I'm the guy that will shout at you across the entire theatre to shut the fuc_k up if you are talking during the movie.

Good luck to you, have you ever kicked the back of someone's Chair though & in turn, their back, because they were not standing up for teh National Anthem ??

A simple yes or no will do ..:)

& is it ALWAYS Brits, Middle Easterners etc like you say & never say, Americans, for example who do all that talkign as in my experience it is Americans who can never really seem to do exactlly what you allege you shout accross the entire Theatre ??

A military base is a separate thing from civilian society so no, I doubt many people would have objections to nationalistic customs in such environments. Yes Americans stand for the National Anthem at sporting events, but not at the start of a grade D horror movie. There is also a Pledge of Allegiance recited in schools; that has been an area of controversy and litigation over the years, especially because it includes "Under God" which is inappropriate in a non-theocratic nation. It certainly isn't worth the flak to resist the local movie custom here even if you are so inclined (I'm not).

I do have some experience with these kinds of issues. During the Vietnam war, many young people including me refused to say the pledge in school as a protest against the war. That's what we thought then, in retrospect, I don't think was a good way to protest that. In any case, we did this, and nothing happened, no arrest, no jail, no punishment ... pretty impressive really, toleration of dissent, what a concept.

I live in rural Thailand (Issan). Despite the fact that I have been coming to Thailand for over 30 years and now live here, I have never been to a cinema here, therefore I cannot comment on whether I would stand prior to the showing of a film. What I do know is that recently there has been an effort to increase the 'Thai Awareness' on the part of the local authorities. Firstly it was asking everyone to fly a Thai flag on their houses. Everybody seemed to go along with this including myself. Then there came a request for everybody to stand still at attention during the playing of the anthem at 6pm

With this the local authority (presumably the tessaban) began broadcasting over the loudspeaker system in the local town. This would start at about 10 to 6 until the anthem was played at 6pm. This broadcast had never been done before to my knowledge. It was interesting to see how it developed. When they first started practically everyone stood still, but as time went on fewer and fewer people joined in. I was there yesterday, when the anthem came over NOBODY stood still. They just carried go going about their business as usual.

I cannot say why this is. Maybe it is because the locals are loosing or have lost their respect, or consider they have more important things to do. I personally do not stand for the anthem, I'm sure that if a local asked me to I would, but I consider that to be highly unlikely.

Of course the Royal Anthem played in cinemas is a different thing than the Thai National Anthem played on the streets.

As far as Isaan is concerned, we do know that is the base of the red movement which can be seen as a revolutionary anti-status quo force. So imposing new nationalistic policies may easily be seen as something pushed by the more right wing Bangkok Thai elite.

There is a long history of this kind of thing in some books you can't get here.

Edited by Jingthing

I can't think of anything in the Uk that will illicit the same reaction in absolutely everyone. There will always be some with a different opinion that refuses to conform, which I believe is healthy.

I remember in the late 80's early 90's one of the British Royal family going to visit some sort of youth center or drug rehab place and one young man refusing to even stand up and shake hands. As far as I know he wasn't imprisoned, lynched, or shot. I don't particularly think it was a great thing to do but I prefer it to living in a country of mindless sheep, with opinion enforced by the authority.