Calling Kids "Farang"

roadschooler

Gee....

Never in a million years would I ever imagine that there are so many comrades here who are so overly sensitive to be called farang.

In China, you would be referred to as Red Hair Devil (Hoong Mow Gui).

Yes, in Hongkong, you would be referred to Gwai-Low.

One best way to avoid being referred to as farang, is to never leave the comfort of our own countries.

Just stay comfortably in the environ that we are accustomed to, then no one would call us name that we feel we are not entitled to. :rolleyes:

Who on earth are these low class and low life form to dare to call us superior white skin; farang, red hair devil and gwai-low.... ha ha ha :lol:

Doesn't any of them realize that people in continents other than our countries, ought to kow-town to us wherever we set our size 14 foot on.

If you fail to pay homage to us showing us supreme respect or listen to our demand for your vast natural resources, such as black gold;

just watch your night sky, you would undoubtedly realize that those streaks of lightning flaring up above your heads are our reminder to everyone, who is really in charge. If any of you ever have any doubt at all, just ask Mr. Ga.... B)

However, there are several of us bunch here who just laugh out loud when some one calls us farang.... and we in turn would respond immediately with....

and you are Kee-Nok (bird dropping).

One of the old Thai referendum to foreigners is.... Farung Kee-Nok, Hork-Bai, Song-Sar-Luuong.... <Fair skin are like bird dropping, six pieces for two quarters>

Come on you all, we are in Thailand for goodness sake.... we all do have excellent self-concept, right? That is one reason why we travel around the world to experience different spices in life, correct?

Cheers, comrades. OK, I promise by my two 24k golden chopsticks that I would not ever ever refer to any of you as Farang ever again after tomorrow.... OK? :jap:

Good post and "F"n spot on!:lol:

No it's not, and definitely not "spot on."

The only time I feel superior to others is when they behave or speak in a manner that lowers themselves.

Seven years in Mexico and never, not once, was I called Gringo

Extensive travels in Japan and Hong Kong, never called Gaikokujin (Gaijin) nor Gwailo. At least not in my presence.

Last night I loaned a tool to my neighbor who I've known for some time. At quitting time, while I'm standing only a few feet away, someone asks whose tool it is. My neighbor, who knows my name quite well, and to whom I always refer to by name, and who is but five feet from me, simply says "farang."

Buy your own tool next time, bud.

The only time I feel superior to others is when they behave or speak in a manner that lowers themselves.

Am dumbfound! So if someone lowers themselves figuratively speaking, that would elevate your superiority complex--making you feel superior?

I need to reenroll in Abnormal Psy 801 all over again.

Perhaps you have been living in a special gated community, perhaps?

Even occasional tourists are sometimes depending on circumstances called Gringo as you referred to.

You perhaps are one of the Catholic fathers whom hardly anyone would refer to as Gringo?

Extensive travels in Japan and Hong Kong, never called Gaikokujin (Gaijin) nor Gwailo. At least not in my presence.

Ah lar, you must be living in a mobile turtle shell of sort, not to be referred as Gwai-Low or Gwailo or Gwui (devil), or

perhaps you are one of the CEOs in Fortune 500, that every Chinese would Kow-tow to your highness?

Last night I loaned a tool to my neighbor who I've known for some time. At quitting time, while I'm standing only a few feet away, someone asks whose tool it is. My neighbor, who knows my name quite well, and to whom I always refer to by name, and who is but five feet from me, simply says "farang."

That is strange, bud (notice I do not call you Farang, Gwai-Low, Gaijin, Gwui et cetera....), even someone closes to you referred to you in front of others as a Farang....!

Well, I just have to concede just like English Gramma there is always an exception.... somewhere.... somehow.... under some other circumstances.

Well, call me anything you like, if that would make you feel better, more competent and more superior in your own eyes and in the eyes of your family members.... :jap:

Cheers

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee....

Never in a million years would I ever imagine that there are so many comrades here who are so overly sensitive to be called farang.

In China, you would be referred to as Red Hair Devil (Hoong Mow Gui).

Yes, in Hongkong, you would be referred to Gwai-Low.

One best way to avoid being referred to as farang, is to never leave the comfort of our own countries.

Just stay comfortably in the environ that we are accustomed to, then no one would call us name that we feel we are not entitled to. :rolleyes:

Who on earth are these low class and low life form to dare to call us superior white skin; farang, red hair devil and gwai-low.... ha ha ha :lol:

Doesn't any of them realize that people in continents other than our countries, ought to kow-town to us wherever we set our size 14 foot on.

If you fail to pay homage to us showing us supreme respect or listen to our demand for your vast natural resources, such as black gold;

just watch your night sky, you would undoubtedly realize that those streaks of lightning flaring up above your heads are our reminder to everyone, who is really in charge. If any of you ever have any doubt at all, just ask Mr. Ga.... B)

However, there are several of us bunch here who just laugh out loud when some one calls us farang.... and we in turn would respond immediately with....

and you are Kee-Nok (bird dropping).

One of the old Thai referendum to foreigners is.... Farung Kee-Nok, Hork-Bai, Song-Sar-Luuong.... <Fair skin are like bird dropping, six pieces for two quarters>

Come on you all, we are in Thailand for goodness sake.... we all do have excellent self-concept, right? That is one reason why we travel around the world to experience different spices in life, correct?

Cheers, comrades. OK, I promise by my two 24k golden chopsticks that I would not ever ever refer to any of you as Farang ever again after tomorrow.... OK? :jap:

Good post and "F"n spot on!:lol:

No it's not, and definitely not "spot on."

Am dumbfound! So if someone lowers themselves figuratively speaking, that would elevate your superiority complex--making you feel superior?

I need to reenroll in Abnormal Psy 801 all over again.

Perhaps you have been living in a special gated community, perhaps?

Even occasional tourists are sometimes depending on circumstances called Gringo as you referred to.

You perhaps are one of the Catholic fathers whom hardly anyone would refer to as Gringo?

Ah lar, you must be living in a mobile turtle shell of sort, not to be referred as Gwai-Low or Gwailo or Gwui (devil), or

perhaps you are one of the CEOs in Fortune 500, that every Chinese would Kow-tow to your highness?

That is strange, bud (notice I do not call you Farang, Gwai-Low, Gaijin, Gwui et cetera....), even someone closes to you referred to you in front of others as a Farang....!

Well, I just have to concede just like English Gramma there is always an exception.... somewhere.... somehow.... under some other circumstances.

Well, call me anything you like, if that would make you feel better, more competent and more superior in your own eyes and in the eyes of your family members.... :jap:

Cheers

If you were dumbfounded, why did you write so much afterwards?

Perhaps if english were your mother tongue you would have understood what I was saying in the second sentence.

I think many of you are missing the point. Just because it is part of a culture does not make it right regardless of country. I think people are being very naive to think that labeling of people in Thailand is benign. Unbelievable that some see no harm in people pointing out a child and screaming "farang". This is not Thai culture.

Yes, I tell my child that the Thais mean no harm but it is still rude behavior. I tell them that unfortunately, Thais think white skin is very beautiful and admire her. Again, I don't think this is right either. Beauty is not a skin color. I do not think it is healthy to teach a child that they are superior to others because they are white. It is not the kind of confidence building that I aspire to teach my children.

I am very familiar with Thai culture and it is not considered good taste to yell out farang and point at children.

Anyway, hopefully this thread will die a natural death because I fear that nothing constructive will come out of it. I was really hoping to hear from other parents on how they react to the yelling "farang" by other adults and children to their child when they are out in public. I believe if you were a parent, you would understand my meaning.

All the best.

I think many of you are missing the point. Just because it is part of a culture does not make it right regardless of country. I think people are being very naive to think that labeling of people in Thailand is benign. Unbelievable that some see no harm in people pointing out a child and screaming "farang". This is not Thai culture.

Yes, I tell my child that the Thais mean no harm but it is still rude behavior. I tell them that unfortunately, Thais think white skin is very beautiful and admire her. Again, I don't think this is right either. Beauty is not a skin color. I do not think it is healthy to teach a child that they are superior to others because they are white. It is not the kind of confidence building that I aspire to teach my children.

I am very familiar with Thai culture and it is not considered good taste to yell out farang and point at children.

Anyway, hopefully this thread will die a natural death because I fear that nothing constructive will come out of it. I was really hoping to hear from other parents on how they react to the yelling "farang" by other adults and children to their child when they are out in public. I believe if you were a parent, you would understand my meaning.

All the best.

I am a parent and you are a lost cause!

All the best

All the best.

I am a parent. My babies are 9 months old. They are constantly referred to as "farang" by the people who are begging to hold them and take their pictures in the mall. I know by their actions and the expression on their face that an insult is the furthest thing from their mind.

Somehow I think your belief that this word always means something derogatory is a bit ill conceived. It is a label, nothing more, nothing less. Only the intention of the person using it can make it derogatory. I suggest you meditate on whether or not there might be something wrong with your perception of the word, rather than the entire fault being with the Thais who use it.

The best way to deal with the situation if you find it offensive is to try and understand the intent of the person using it. Despite what others have said above, many, many Thais use the word farang with no ill consideration whatsoever.

And I think it is somewhat short sighted of you to hope this thread goes away simply because there are people here who are disagreeing with your premise and suggesting that you yourself are part of the problem. This is an opportunity for you to reexamine what is causing you to feel so insecure about something that is simply a part of the society you live in.

All the best.

I am a parent. My babies are 9 months old. They are constantly referred to as "farang" by the people who are begging to hold them and take their pictures in the mall. I know by their actions and the expression on their face that an insult is the furthest thing from their mind.

Somehow I think your belief that this word always means something derogatory is a bit ill conceived. It is a label, nothing more, nothing less. Only the intention of the person using it can make it derogatory. I suggest you meditate on whether or not there might be something wrong with your perception of the word, rather than the entire fault being with the Thais who use it.

The best way to deal with the situation if you find it offensive is to try and understand the intent of the person using it. Despite what others have said above, many, many Thais use the word farang with no ill consideration whatsoever.

And I think it is somewhat short sighted of you to hope this thread goes away simply because there are people here who are disagreeing with your premise and suggesting that you yourself are part of the problem. This is an opportunity for you to reexamine what is causing you to feel so insecure about something that is simply a part of the society you live in.

Well said! If you care about your kids roadschooler, than reevaluate your mindset!

I am referred to as farang by my wife's family and our 6 year old son is known to all and sundry as farang noi.

I can't say it bothers me and my son loves it because it distinguishes him from his contemporaries.

I have been called farang in a non-friendly manner on occasions but usual by drunks at local parties so that doesn't bother me either.

Why be so sensitive it's so engrained in Thais that there is sweet FA you can do about it.

Japan and Libya now these are things to worry about.

Why worry about things that we can do so little about?

Radiation comes from the sun and other places; war comes from the Emperor and other places. All we can do is shrug like ducks and laugh; let us shrug and laugh like we always do

SC

All the best.

Well said! If you care about your kids roadschooler, than reevaluate your mindset!

Excellent post greg

I' m sure all the rednecks calling coloured children pickaninnies didn't mean anything by it.

Bet they never had a problem with ni**ers either

Just a loving way to describe people whose names you don't know when staring and pointing at them!

<snip>

Maybe because the 'someone' who asked 'who's tool is it' didn't know your name?

and if your neighbour had have said 'the tool belongs to Robert' he would have only gotten the reply

'who is Robert'

and would have had to reply

'the farang over there'

so he was just providing the necessary answer without the unecessary verbiage as Thais often do.

<snip for brevity>

Do i as a german have a common special name for people from Asia? No i don't.

Anyway, i do not judge and evaluate a person through their nationality.

Cheers,

Morpheus

My bold- Asians?

• 3 weeks later...

FYI ; the word Farang is actually come from " France " as the French came to this continent(country) alot in the past many hundred years ago ( So that how thais calls all white ppl ). as thais couldnt pronounce "france " properly ( they said " fa-rance " ) as the time goes by the word just chance it pronounciation to "farang" till today.

not sure if it confused u or not. :jap:

Probably not, though that's a common (and understandable) belief. More likely it comes from Indo-Persian or otherwise Indo-European in origin:

frangos,firanja Greek "Westerner","Latin Catholics", "Land of the Franks"

ifrangi Turkish

frang Syriac "a European"

afrangi,ifranji, faranji Arabic Arabic variations.

afrang,faranj,ferang, ferangi, feringhi Perisan

farenghi Hindi

farengi,farangi, pirangi Tamil

farangi Malayalam

barang Khmer

pha-rang, pha-lang-xa Vietnamese

palang Malaysia

barang Bahasa Indonesia

Doubt the similarities of these words to the Thai Farang are coincedental and they date in some case to before "France" existed; and certainly some of these countries had far more experience with other Europeans than the French (Dutch, British, Portuguese et al) and likely would have associated other nationalities with caucasian types. And the Portuguese were here before the French and made quite an impact. By the way, are you aware that the Guava fruit is also called farang in Thai? Guess who brought it to Thailand?

Portuguese, I believe.

Not going to get into the "offensive or not" debate again -- I've had it too many times over the last couple decades.

When my family came along I am now known as papa...followed by my childrens names. Of course to people who do not know me or my family I am still Farang, but then.....what do I call them.....I have no idea of their names.

Papa ... another insult IMHO

So your family can remember the Thai children's names, but not bother with yours because you have white skin!

And what is unbelievable, is you accept that and try to explain it away. Nobody who did that to me would EVER set foot in my house.

Here is a novel idea, those Thais who know us might try to remember our names or give us an individual nickname, just like they would do with Thais they meet. Rather than just call us 'old man' or 'whitey'

I have little doubt you'll take this as sounding elitist but I'll say it anyway -- it's a pretty safe bet you don't speak Thai. Still if you live here it' seems like you'd know that Thais typically call other Thais -- often out of respect or just because it's the default setting -- Father, Uncle, Mother, Aunt, Big Brother, Big Sister, Little Brother, and Little Sister. Without using the name of the person whom they are addresing even if they had lived next door to each other all their lives. "Papa" is what they know the Chinese use and because the Chinese are the largest minority group here that's what they use for other foriegners rather the Thai "Pa" (I don't have a Thai keyboard). They typically think that's what foreigner's children would call them. It doesn't mean "old man" (no more than Farang means "whitey" rather than European).

PJ: Forgot to say -- I'm really not having a go at you nor am I interested in a slanging match but given how much you hate Thais, it's hardly surprising you'd view this matter in the most negative way possible

Robert:

Perfect example of rude usage. And given that he knows your name, it would have been just as rude to say "the English/German/American guy". I suppose in that instance to say kon dtaangchaat/chaotang prathed/chao tang chad might have been classier but not much if he knows you name -- and who talks like that?.

Just looked at this thread again and see I screwed up the format of one of my posts. So even though nobody cares:

frangos,firanja Greek

ifrangi Turkish

afrangi,ifranji, faranji Arabic variations

afrang,faranj,ferang, ferangi, feringhi Persian

farenghi Hindi

farengi,farangi, pirangi Tamil (Sri Lanka)

farangi Malayalam (India)

barang Khmer (Cambodia)

palang Malaysia

barang Bahasa Indonesia

PJ: Forgot to say -- I'm really not having a go at you nor am I interested in a slanging match but given how much you hate Thais, it's hardly surprising you'd view this matter in the most negative way possible

Robert:

Perfect example of rude usage. And given that he knows your name, it would have been just as rude to say "the English/German/American guy". I suppose in that instance to say kon dtaangchaat/chaotang prathed/chao tang chad might have been classier but not much if he knows you name -- and who talks like that?.

As I said, maybe the Thai asking the question would have no idea who he was talking about had he answered "The tool belongs to Robert."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/453021-calling-kids-farang/page__view__findpost__p__4301724

Alice??? Who the &lt;deleted&gt; is Alice???? or in this case Robert.

Robert:

As I said, maybe the Thai asking the question would have no idea who he was talking about had he answered "The tool belongs to Robert."

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4301724

Indeed. But he could have gestured and said, "That guy".

I hear the word Farang when I am about town - it might be in the context two shop assistants talking to each other and saying "serve that Farang" or "Oh no, a Farang just walked in and I can't speak English" etc - None of this is offensive.

I never hear the word Farang when I am around my wife's family - They refer to me or about me by name because they all know my name. Anything else would be considered impolite.

I would never permit my friends or family back home to refer to my wife as "The Thai" or "The Asian" for the same obvious reasons.

There is a level of innocent ignorance in Thailand that we can let slide, however there are times when I believe people can and should be politely corrected.

E.G: Holidaying with my Wife and some friends - I was introduced as 'Uncle' but the nannies referred to me a couple of times as 'The Farang'. This stuck with the 3 year old boys until they were corrected by their Mother who explained that 'farang' is sometimes considered impolite, I am 'Uncle Richard"...

However: When Kids or people do not know our names or nationalities as what should we be referred?... What is the Thai word for Westerner? i.e. Khun 'Western' ?

Edited by richard_smith237

Since the Thais refer to all westerners as French (farang set) then why aren't all asians "Chinamen"?

Try again.

Allow me to qoute myself:

Probably not, though (thinking it means "French") is a common (and understandable) belief. More likely it comes from Indo-Persian or otherwise Indo-European in origin:

frangos,firanja Greek

ifrangi Turkish

afrangi,ifranji, faranji Arabic variations

afrang,faranj,ferang, ferangi, feringhi Persian

farenghi Hindi

farengi,farangi, pirangi Tamil (Sri Lanka)

farangi Malayalam (India)

barang Khmer (Cambodia)

palang Malaysia

barang Bahasa Indonesia

Doubt the similarities of these words to the Thai Farang are coincedental and they date in some cases to before "France" existed; and certainly some of these countries had far more experience with other Europeans than the French (Dutch, British, Portuguese et al) and likely would have associated other nationalities with caucasian types. And the Portuguese were here before the French and made quite an impact. By the way, are you aware that the Guava fruit is also called farang in Thai? Guess who brought it to Thailand?

Portuguese, I believe.

EDITED for format

Edited by SteeleJoe

I hear the word Farang when I am about town - it might be in the context two shop assistants talking to each other and saying "serve that Farang" or "Oh no, a Farang just walked in and I can't speak English" etc - None of this is offensive.

I never hear the word Farang when I am around my wife's family - They refer to me or about me by name because they all know my name. Anything else would be considered impolite.

I would never permit my friends or family back home to refer to my wife as "The Thai" or "The Asian" for the same obvious reasons.

There is a level of innocent ignorance in Thailand that we can let slide, however there are times when I believe people can and should be politely corrected.

E.G: Holidaying with my Wife and some friends - I was introduced as 'Uncle' but the nannies referred to me a couple of times as 'The Farang'. This stuck with the 3 year old boys until they were corrected by their Mother, that farang is sometimes considered impolite, I am 'Uncle Richard"...

However: When Kids, or people do not identify our names or nationalities how should we be called... What is the Thai word for Westerner? i.e. Khun 'Western' ?

I agree with 100% of that.

It's about usage. Not any inherent meaning.

I think the idea that 'farang' comes from the fact that Thai people were copying what the French called themselves ie. Francais becoming farangset, has an obvious flaw.

Vowels in French are not pronounced the same as they are in English. The 'an' in Francais is pronounced with what can be described in English terms as a kind of rounded 'oh' sound which would, if the story were true, result in the Thai version being 'falohng' which it definitely isn't.

I think the story about the French being the first foreigners to come to Thailand and speak with 'the natives' and before that, they had no concept of 'whitey' and therefore no word to describe them/us is unlikely to be true.

The similarities to other languages words for white foreigners would seem to support that.

Apologies for straying off topic :)

When someone calls me a farang, i ask myself- 'can i deal with that and shrug it off or am i a big girls blouse and therefore have a hissy fit about it'.

I bet half the posters whining about being called a 'farang' are also the same who complain about the 'PC police' and how the 'whole PC thing in the west is out of control' and 'thank god in thailand we dont have to worry about that nonsense'

At least this is what i have found. :whistling:

Edited by ExpatJ

I think the idea that 'farang' comes from the fact that Thai people were copying what the French called themselves ie. Francais becoming farangset, has an obvious flaw.

Vowels in French are not pronounced the same as they are in English. The 'an' in Francais is pronounced with what can be described in English terms as a kind of rounded 'oh' sound which would, if the story were true, result in the Thai version being 'falohng' which it definitely isn't.

I think the story about the French being the first foreigners to come to Thailand and speak with 'the natives' and before that, they had no concept of 'whitey' and therefore no word to describe them/us is unlikely to be true.

Excellent point.

And historically speaking it's not true that the French were here first. Portuguese were first. And before them? Indians. Persians. See where I'm going?

When someone calls me a farang, i ask myself- 'can i deal with that and shrug it off or am i a big girls blouse and therefore have a hissy fit about it'.

I bet half the posters whining about being called a 'farang' are also the same who complain about the 'PC police' and how the 'whole PC thing in the west is out of control' and 'thank god in thailand we dont have to worry about that nonsense'

At least this is what i have found.

Great post. And I suspect you may be right in the last part.

Since the Thais refer to all westerners as French (farang set) then why aren't all asians "Chinamen"?

Try again.

I disagree and my point is valid. You may be a Thai scholar and hung up on usage but it is a fact that Thais refer to all westerners as farangs.

So they are all Chinamens, 555!

Edited by Lancelot

Try again.

I disagree and my point is valid. You may be a Thai scholar and hung up on usage but it is a fact that Thais refer to all westerners as farangs.

I disagree and my point is valid.

Disagree if you like. The fact remains that your point is not valid as it was premised on the idea that they were calling us all "French" which is not true. They are calling us "foreigners".

You may be a Thai scholar and hung up on usage...

I don't call myself a scholar. I don't believe I'm hung up in anything regarding this word. it's the people that are paranoid about what it means that are hung up.

Thais refer to all westerners as farangs.

Yeah, no kidding. Perhaps you can cite where I ever said or implied otherwise?

555! That makes absolutely no sense!

Robert:

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4301724

Indeed. But he could have gestured and said, "That guy".

But Robert seems to be upset that his neighbour didn't use his name.

But Robert seems to be upset that his neighbour didn't use his name.

That's not quite all of it: the thread is about the use of Falang. Robert is on record as objecting to the use of the word at all. He cited this example as evidence that it is rude given that rather than use his name, he said "falang". I have always said, like lots of words, it is not inherently rude but it can be used rudely and in this instance I see a perfect example of this rather than (as Robert intended) any evidence that the word itself is rude.

He's apparently upset not that the guy didn't use his name but that he used "Falang" instead of his name. And I don't blame him. If Robert was right there, why not do as you or I no doubt would have and gesture towards Robert and say, "Robert"? Or at least, "Him". Why reduce Robert to "the foreign guy"?

Why reduce Robert to "the foreign guy"?

Why does "the foreign guy" constitute a reduction?

And if it is a reduction, surely the reducer deserves the pity of the reducee.

On another note, do any of you guys know about the way in which we are sometimes referred to as "it"? My Thai isn't very good, but I think the word they use is "maung". Is that right?

My son's mother nearly had a fit a few years back on learning that the old lady in our local convenience store habitually referred to me as "it".